/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is Jizyah meant to humiliate Non muslims or not?

TDWT
03-15-2017, 01:56 AM
I read this here by Bassam Zawadi:

http://www.call-to-monotheism.com/no...of_humiliation

and this:

http://www.islamawareness.net/Shariah/sh_fatwa013.html

I was wondering, is Jizyah meant to humiliate non muslims or not? What have scholars said?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
TDWT
03-19-2017, 04:32 PM
http://en.islamtoday.net/artshow-412-3390.htm

I read this as well, @ Huzaifah ibn Adam

is this accurate?

Scimitar
03-20-2017, 03:45 AM
In Islamic history, whenever Jizya was implemented - the rate of tax was lower than what the Muslims paid in zakaat.

If Jizya was still praxticed today Non Muslims would be far better off paying Jizya at a rate below 2.5% tax on assets only, than the taxes they pay in their own lands currently. Fact.

Jizya is an issue polarised by media and made viral by ignorance on the actual implementation of the rule.

In the case of Muslim states which practiced Jizya, you will find that when said state was facing impending threats of attack, the non Muslims were allowed not to pay the Jizya because the Khaliph could not ensure their safety. That's honesty beyond the call of integrity, when compared to how we see the world is running today.

Scimi

Serinity
03-20-2017, 09:06 AM
:Salam:

Please bear with me if I am wrong on this..

Objectively speaking, I don't see Jizyah as a Humiliation in comparison to the today's taxation. In Denmark we get taxed 36% of our salary and the rich gets taxed more.

But Allah :swt: , afaik, in the Qur'aan (I read a translation of) said that (interpretation of): That Jizyah is to subdue them?

Allah knows best. Bear with me, but I don't see how Jizyah is a humiliation, but the Qur'aan says so?? How is it?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Scimitar
03-20-2017, 02:27 PM
Why do you read "subdue" as "humiliation" ???

When there is a people who do not pay taxes and do not fall under the protection of Muslim states, these people will feel insecure and free to rebel.

When we give them the opportunity to pay Jizya and enjoy the protection of the Muslim state - they are subdued as they will not rebel. It's not humiliating at all. In fact, if you look at the history of Jerusalem, before the Crusades - where Jizya was paid by Jews and Christians, you will find they were happy they paid lesser taxes thank the Muslims and enjoyed the same freedoms as the Muslims while not having to engage in military service - evidently, they had a little more freedom than even the Muslims did in Jerusalem yet we think they were humiliated? How so?

When the Crusades occurred - the Christian Ya'juj Crusaders killed their brethren alongside Jews and Muslims within the walls of Jerusalem.

Hope this helps.

Scimi

Grandad
03-20-2017, 02:58 PM
Not.

TDWT
03-20-2017, 03:31 PM
Well, I remember this post from huzaifah:

"Fight against those who (1) believe not in Allah, (2) nor in the Last Day, (3) nor forbid that which has been forbidden by Allaah and His Messenger (4) and those who acknowledge not the religion of truth (i.e. Islaam) among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), until they pay the Jizyah with willing submission, and they are subdued." [Soorah at-Tawbah, 9:29]

Explaining this Aayah in his Tafseer, Imaam ibn Katheer says:

{حَتَّى يُعْطُوا الْجِزْيَةَ** أَيْ: إِنْ لَمْ يُسْلِمُوا، {عَنْ يَدٍ** أَيْ: عَنْ قَهْرٍ لَهُمْ وَغَلَبَةٍ، {وَهُمْ صَاغِرُونَ** أَيْ: ذَلِيلُونَ حَقِيرُونَ مُهَانُونَ. فَلِهَذَا لَا يَجُوزُ إِعْزَازُ أَهْلِ الذِّمَّةِ وَلَا رَفْعُهُمْ عَلَى الْمُسْلِمِينَ، بَلْ هُمْ أَذِلَّاءُ صَغَرة أَشْقِيَاءُ

"Until they pay the Jizyah", meaning: If they do not submit (to Islaam). "With willing submission", meaning: After having control over them (i.e. Muslims have taken the land). "And they are subdued." Meaning: "They are made low, disgraced. For this reason, it is not permissible to honour the Ahl-udh-Dhimmah and nor to raise them above the Muslimeen. Rather, they are humiliated, low, miserable." [Tafseer ibn Katheer, vol.2, p.136]

That is the reason behind the Jizyah. It's not about the money.

This is the reason the `Ulamaa of Islaam have given, the Mufassiroon. Whether people will like it or dislike it is not our problem. Allaah Ta`aalaa has legislated Jizyah

Grandad
03-20-2017, 03:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by TDWT

"Fight against those who (1) believe not in Allah, (2) nor in the Last Day, (3) nor forbid that which has been forbidden by Allaah and His Messenger (4) and those who acknowledge not the religion of truth (i.e. Islaam) among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), until they pay the Jizyah with willing submission, and they are subdued." [Soorah at-Tawbah, 9:29]

{حَتَّى يُعْطُوا الْجِزْيَةَ** أَيْ: إِنْ لَمْ يُسْلِمُوا، {عَنْ يَدٍ** أَيْ: عَنْ قَهْرٍ لَهُمْ وَغَلَبَةٍ، {وَهُمْ صَاغِرُونَ** أَيْ: ذَلِيلُونَ حَقِيرُونَ مُهَانُونَ. فَلِهَذَا لَا يَجُوزُ إِعْزَازُ أَهْلِ الذِّمَّةِ وَلَا رَفْعُهُمْ عَلَى الْمُسْلِمِينَ، بَلْ هُمْ أَذِلَّاءُ صَغَرة أَشْقِيَاءُ

"Until they pay the Jizyah", meaning: If they do not submit (to Islaam). "With willing submission", meaning: After having control over them (i.e. Muslims have taken the land). "And they are subdued." Meaning: "They are made low, disgraced. For this reason, it is not permissible to honour the Ahl-udh-Dhimmah and nor to raise them above the Muslimeen. Rather, they are humiliated, low, miserable." [Tafseer ibn Katheer, vol.2, p.136]

This is the reason the `Ulamaa of Islaam have given, the Mufassiroon. Whether people will like it or dislike it is not our problem. Allaah Ta`aalaa has legislated Jizyah
‘Fight those of the People of the Book who do not (truly) believe in Allāh and the Last Day, who do not forbid what Allāh and His Messenger have forbidden, who do not obey the rule of justice, until they pay the tax and agree to submit.’ (Al-Tawba: 29).

M.A.S. Abdel Haleem writes:

‘Etymologically, jizya means ‘payment in return’, related to jaza meaning ‘reward’, i.e. in return for the protection of the Muslim state with all the accruing benefits and exemption from military service, and such taxes on Muslims as zakah. This tax was levied only on able-bodied free men who could afford it, and monks were exempted. The amount was generally low (e.g. one dinar per year).

‘Commentators in the past generally understood wa hum saghirun to mean they should be humiliated when paying. However, it is clear from the context that they were unwilling to pay, and the clause simply means they should submit to paying this tax.' (The Qur'an - A New Translation). People who refuse to pay taxes might well feel humiliated when obliged to do so; but humiliation is not the purpose here. Submission to the Will of Allāh (Subḥānahu ūta'āla) - and to the lawful State - is the purpose.

Scimitar
03-20-2017, 05:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by TDWT

Also,

The idea of "humiliation" has no relation to Jizya itself, rather they were humiliated when they lost the battles they were so confident they would win. The Jizya is an opportunity for the humiliated to regain their honour among the very people who conquered them and paying the Jizya tax while being productive members of society.

Hope this understanding sinks in well in sha Allah. I get the feeling the fundies like Aaj and Simple_Person will be like "THE SWORD THE SWORD" :D

Stay rational, people.

Scimi

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.