/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hi newbie here,need help!!

Scottish Celt
03-16-2017, 07:34 PM
Hello;)Born & bred in Scotland,36 y/o male from yer typical atheist/Christian background,I never really belied in this tbf although I have always believed in a ''God'' or higher being/creator so to speak,but now feel the time is right to finaly convert!!,I'm not going lie I am very nervous but excited this is a huge step & honour to submit to Allah,..Now what brought me here?,To cut a long story short a few yrs ago I was diagnosed with clinical depression,I felt so suicidal & I would be dead if I didn't have my wife & 2 kids,tbh I'm not fully cured,ive tried SSRI drugs(anti depressants),now off all medication,& feeling a better these days,I done a lot of soul searching,questioned life read & watched a lot of YT vids during this time,& everything brought me to Islam for some reason,I just love the whole feeling of it,beauty & culture,it brings me comfort & peace.

I have just recently bought the Qur'an from my local book store watch YT video's of prophets,i just love the stories,i have told my wife about all of this,she was a bit shocked at first but has accepted it,please tell me I am doing the right thing?,..i know I am ready,but where do I start? my nearest City is Glasgow I would love to attend a street Dawah just like what I watched on YT & then take it from there.

Thank you(sorry for the spelling & grammar)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Finding MEMO
03-16-2017, 10:04 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

Welcome Brother

God willing you will find the answers your looking for here. Everyone is super nice please ask away...

Scottish Celt
03-16-2017, 10:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Finding MEMO
Assalamu Alaikum

Welcome Brother

God willing you will find the answers your looking for here. Everyone is super nice please ask away...
I live in a small town,i do not know any muslims personally,...of course I will need to & would like to learn more & more about Islam,although I'm not a muslim(yet) I have embraced some small things I have grown a beard(trimmed moustache),I have even picked a muslim name for myself when the time comes,but its how do I come to getting my shahadah,who do I contact localy

greenhill
03-16-2017, 10:27 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Quick suggestion... perhaps when the time comes, take a visit to the nearest town with a masjid (mosque) and find an imam?

In the meantime, wishing you a great stay!

:peace:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sister herb
03-16-2017, 10:33 PM
If you can contact to the nearest mosque and say shahada there it´s fine but if it´s impossible to you to travel, you can say shahada also alone (and then Allah is your witness). You don´t have to join to any Islamic community for being Muslim.

Scottish Celt
03-16-2017, 10:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
Welcome to the forum.

Quick suggestion... perhaps when the time comes, take a visit to the nearest town with a masjid (mosque) and find an imam?

In the meantime, wishing you a great stay!

:peace:
Thank you,my nearest is 25 miles away next time I am in the City(Glasgow) I will visit the local Mosque,again thank you for the advice,i will be nervous just walking in for the first time,but I'm sure everything will be fine though,i think July/August will be the right time for me,if & when this does happen does my wife & 2 kids need to convert? that could be a problem though with her

Scottish Celt
03-16-2017, 10:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
If you can contact to the nearest mosque and say shahada there it´s fine but if it´s impossible to you to travel, you can say shahada also alone (and then Allah is your witness). You don´t have to join to any Islamic community for being Muslim.
thank you sister herb,no traveling wont be a problem despite only living 25miles away from the nearest mosque,i am a little nervous though entering one as I will be just starting out to be a new muslim

sister herb
03-16-2017, 10:43 PM
It´s not necessary that your wife will convert as you as male, can be married also with Christian or Jew woman. It would to be fine if your kids could get some education about Islam as normally children follow their father´s religion in Islam. But it´s a thing you need to discuss with your family of course.

Scottish Celt
03-16-2017, 10:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
It´s not necessary that your wife will convert as you as male, can be married also with Christian or Jew woman. It would to be fine if your kids could get some education about Islam as normally children follow their father´s religion in Islam. But it´s a thing you need to discuss with your family of course.
many thanks again

aaj
03-17-2017, 01:49 PM
As-Salaamu Alaykum (peace be upon you)

Welcome bro to the forum and to Islam :)

The shahadah can be said alone and does not need to be said in front of anyone else. What some converts do is say the shahadah alone and also at the masjid the 2nd time. I think that's a good idea. The 2nd time at the masjid is a good way to let the community know of you.

As to saying it alone, inshallah (God willing) check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnUp_H3QqFo

Next step would be to learn the salah (prayer) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLWJtXtmnbM

http://www.icsconline.org/docs/Musli...JoshHerman.pdf

And then learn about Islam: http://www.newmuslims.com/

For Muslim men, marriage to the people of the book is allowed so you do not have to have your wife convert. Once you become more comfortable in your religion then you an give dawah to your family as well and help them see the right path.

Scottish Celt
03-17-2017, 01:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aaj
As-Salaamu Alaykum (peace be upon you)

Welcome bro to the forum and to Islam :)

The shahadah can be said alone and does not need to be said in front of anyone else. What some converts do is say the shahadah alone and also at the masjid the 2nd time. I think that's a good idea. The 2nd time at the masjid is a good way to let the community know of you.

As to saying it alone, inshallah (God willing) check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnUp_H3QqFo

Next step would be to learn the salah (prayer) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLWJtXtmnbM

http://www.icsconline.org/docs/Musli...JoshHerman.pdf

And then learn about Islam: http://www.newmuslims.com/

For Muslim men, marriage to the people of the book is allowed so you do not have to have your wife convert. Once you become more comfortable in your religion then you an give dawah to your family as well and help them see the right path.
thank you for some great info,this should help me, I still regard myself a novice but i try to learn more each day,the more I do learn the more impressed i am Islam seems such a loving community,im hoping through time I can work on my wife & especially 2 kids toward the right path

SoldierAmatUllah
03-25-2017, 04:54 PM
MashaAllah

Congrats on finding ALLAH Most High!

Take the Shahadah ASAP because we never know when death comes& if it happens in mid,you're on way to JAnnah ,InshaALLAH

Please don't delay !

May ALLAH protect you & make you steadfast in Islam!Aameen

Stay to online boards esp ours-authentic knowledge & verify everything..... You see & read while surfing online .

Scottish Celt
03-25-2017, 07:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AmatulWudud
MashaAllah

Congrats on finding ALLAH Most High!

Take the Shahadah ASAP because we never know when death comes& if it happens in mid,you're on way to JAnnah ,InshaALLAH

Please don't delay !

May ALLAH protect you & make you steadfast in Islam!Aameen

Stay to online boards esp ours-authentic knowledge & verify everything..... You see & read while surfing online .
Thank you sisiter,I took Shahadah through the week,alone in my bedroom,in English & also in Arabic,this means I'm Muslim? but,feel I need to take Shahadah at my local Mosque with an Imam,and really feel the very essence of Islam & its surroundings,I cannot wait until this day happens,each day I'm learning more,im still finding & remembering parts of prayer in Arabic difficult but through time il learn & will get better

SoldierAmatUllah
03-25-2017, 08:06 PM
@Scottish Celt

Alhamdull'ILLAH

I have the following advice for you though:

,MashaAllah to see your spirit for Deen&Muslims but please get to know every practicing Muslims is not angelic,nor pious....there are all kinds of people lest you get disappointed to see evil people amongst Muslims. Love people of Deen generally but please keep at distance. Enough experiences ofreverts&Muslims &that's why we ought to be very cautious.Be good but don't put people on your head,give them toffees...lest they start being thief's.As one elderly lady told us that "don't be sweet as people eat you&don't be bitter that they spit you"
The evil of people is reality&seek refuge of ALLAH Ta'ala often from the evil men&women.
Safeguard yourself from people, avoid as much as possible. InshaAllah. Lest you find some trustworthy,sincere friends &be warm &keep cheerful disposition & go& meet Muslims yourself-Say Salaam & find knowledgeable decent people to learn Islam with & verify from people who are proven good to make friends with & learn Deen from.

Seek refuge of ALLAH Ta'ala often to protect you!

All the best!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.