/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A question for Muslim converts,Re; name change

Scottish Celt
03-19-2017, 10:35 AM
This is a quick question for any converts especially those who had typical western /brittish/European names to begin with,firstly what brought you to your new name & second once you have converted do you have to change your passport & work details adding your new name?

I have already chosen mine to be Ibrahim(pbuh) when my time comes,also will Ibrahim come before my birth name when on my passport or wage slip details in work

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Eric H
03-19-2017, 11:59 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Scottish Celt; and welcome to the forum,

In the UK you can change your name by deed poll, the following link seems a good place to start, fees seem to be £33. You should be able find answers to your questions here too.

http://www.deedpoll.org.uk/ServicesAndFees.html - Or you could do a Google search of, how to change my name?

I think Ibrahim(pbuh is a good choice for a new name.

Blessings,
Eric

Scimitar
03-20-2017, 03:41 AM
Just want to say, a new Muslim is under absolutely no obligation to change his or her name - unless the name means something bad, in which case it is recommended to change your name to something which has a good meaning to it.

Scimi

Scottish Celt
03-20-2017, 07:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Greetings and peace be with you Scottish Celt; and welcome to the forum,

In the UK you can change your name by deed poll, the following link seems a good place to start, fees seem to be £33. You should be able find answers to your questions here too.

http://www.deedpoll.org.uk/ServicesAndFees.html - Or you could do a Google search of, how to change my name?

I think Ibrahim(pbuh is a good choice for a new name.

Blessings,
Eric
thank you Eric,£33 seems fairly cheap my name birth name is actually Scott:D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Scottish Celt
03-20-2017, 07:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
Just want to say, a new Muslim is under absolutely no obligation to change his or her name - unless the name means something bad, in which case it is recommended to change your name to something which has a good meaning to it.

Scimi
Thank you scimi,thanks for the info,but I feel personally I will need to change,it gives me that aunthentic feel for Islam,if that makes sense:embarrassi also really like the name Ibrahim(pbuh)

Scimitar
03-20-2017, 08:30 PM
That's great my brother, Ibraheem is a lovely name mashaAllah,

God bless,

Scimi

Scottish Celt
03-23-2017, 12:58 PM
Ok another wee question?

I have 3 names my Forename,middle name & surname since birth in what order shall I have it

1. Ibrahim/forename/middle name/surname

2. forename/Ibrahim/middle name/surname

3. forename/middle name/Ibrahim/surname

my surname will have to be last of course

AbdurRahman.
03-23-2017, 03:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scottish Celt
Ok another wee question?

I have 3 names my Forename,middle name & surname since birth in what order shall I have it

1. Ibrahim/forename/middle name/surname

2. forename/Ibrahim/middle name/surname

3. forename/middle name/Ibrahim/surname

my surname will have to be last of course
i'm going to say something rather sensetive here br hope you dont mind

in western culture many couples do not get married or they get married after having a child or 2; basically if your dad was not married to your mum at the time you were born [you dont have to tell us anything bout this here br] then you shouldn't have your dads name as your sirname, thats because in Islam the child is not attributed to such a father but only attributed to the mother so you can have your mothers surname

in the case it was all 'halaal', then first two names can be in any order with dads surname last!

ps: have Ibraheem as your first name so everyone will call you by your 'muslim' name! :)

Scottish Celt
03-23-2017, 03:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AbdullahAziz
i'm going to say something rather sensetive here br hope you dont mind

in western culture many couples do not get married or they get married after having a child or 2; basically if your dad was not married to your mum at the time you were born [you dont have to tell us anything bout this here br] then you shouldn't have your dads name as your sirname, thats because in Islam the child is not attributed to such a father but only attributed to the mother so you can have your mothers surname

in the case it was all 'halaal', then first two names can be in any order with dads surname last!

ps: have Ibraheem as your first name so everyone will call you by your 'muslim' name! :)
no not sensitive at all,my mother & father never married,im not close to my father tbh,i have my mothers surname anyway,my wife is still coming to terms with it all but after a good few lenthy chats she is finaly accepting the biggest shock of it all is actually the name change issue:D can i ask why the spelling Ibraheem instead of Ibrahim?

AbdurRahman.
03-23-2017, 03:42 PM
no not sensitive at all,my mother & father never married,im not close to my father tbh,i have my mothers surname anyway,my wife is still coming to terms with it all but after a good few lenthy chats she is finaly accepting the biggest shock of it all is actually the name change issue:D can i ask why the spelling Ibraheem instead of Ibrahim?
oh i just spelled it without without looking at yours!!!!!

i just looked at the arabic spelling of Ibraheem and see the correct english spelling will be the way i did it! as it has a bit of a lengthy 'ee' at the end, but it doesn't really matter how you spell it really; maybe more short cut as you done it will be more convenient!

sister herb
03-23-2017, 03:49 PM
It´s a matter of translitteration how you spell it. Here are few different translitteration systems. You might find out that in those (Arab) countries where French is the second spoken language, names are written differently than in countríes where the second language is English. And also your own language has some influence. I would say it is "Ibrahiim" but in my language we vocalize "i" like English speaking people vocalize "e".

Scottish Celt
03-23-2017, 04:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AbdullahAziz
oh i just spelled it without without looking at yours!!!!!

i just looked at the arabic spelling of Ibraheem and see the correct english spelling will be the way i did it! as it has a bit of a lengthy 'ee' at the end, but it doesn't really matter how you spell it really; maybe more short cut as you done it will be more convenient!
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
It´s a matter of translitteration how you spell it. Here are few different translitteration systems. You might find out that in those (Arab) countries where French is the second spoken language, names are written differently than in countríes where the second language is English. And also your own language has some influence. I would say it is "Ibrahiim" but in my language we vocalize "i" like English speaking people vocalize "e".
^^To both Brother & Sister;

ahh I was just curiou,as I thought,different countries different spelling its like say the name Joseph here in the UK but in Eastern Europe it will be spelt Josef

AbdurRahman.
03-23-2017, 04:06 PM
^^To both Brother & Sister;

ahh I was just curiou,as I thought,different countries different spelling its like say the name Joseph here in the UK but in Eastern Europe it will be spelt Josef
i suppose as us Muslims are used to the arabic pronunciation it just sort of comes out in english like that too! :)

sister herb
03-23-2017, 04:08 PM
We here would write it as Joosef (and vocalize as "Yoosef").

Languages are funny.

Scottish Celt
03-23-2017, 04:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
We here would write it as Joosef (and vocalize as "Yoosef").

Languages are funny.
Funnily enough i did look to the name ''Yusef'' i really like that,..BUT my wife name is Joshephine female version for Joseph,so really couldn't have that,..Josephine & Joseph(Yusef):statisfie,...so Ibrahim(pbuh) won in the end

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.