/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question on perceptions of non-Muslims

Aliskander
03-22-2017, 11:46 AM
,سلام عليكم يا أصدقائي

I'm interested in meeting Muslims and learning more about the deen. Thing is - I can say that here, but I'm unsure if I could say that in my community. I'm very much an Australian stereotype. I'm 21, working with boats, from rural New South Wales living now in the Capital. 100% Anglo boy. Not interested in giving a biography, but I know of only a few Muslims from University. They're some of the best people I know, but I think that even they would find it bizarre to hear me give this admission. I took up learning Arabic, originally for career prospects. I met these friends in class. I have hitherto been a carefree, fairly shallow-minded agnostic until I started learning more about the argument's for God's existence.

I have been reading the Qur'an (fil-lugha as-sawab, of course) and its just giving me more answers than I thought I'd ever see. I just think its true, and I've learned about how Muslims live this truth out.

The question basically is: certainly none of my family or friends would accept it (no kidding. One might call them 'very kaffir'.) But what would my local Muslim community in Australia, a minority group, feel about me, with my ridiculous country Australian accent and attire, approaching them in interest? Is there a way I should go about it (via my friends first, etc)? May I have to navigate through a bit of judging, in everyone's best guess? It may be something which I have to take up in private for a long time first before I approach any others.

I welcome particularly any stories about anyone else who maybe had this conundrum.

Thanks!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*charisma*
03-22-2017, 12:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aliskander
The question basically is: certainly none of my family or friends would accept it (no kidding. One might call them 'very kaffir'.) But what would my local Muslim community in Australia, a minority group, feel about me, with my ridiculous country Australian accent and attire, approaching them in interest? Is there a way I should go about it (via my friends first, etc)? May I have to navigate through a bit of judging, in everyone's best guess? It may be something which I have to take up in private for a long time first before I approach any others.
They'd be very welcoming. Muslims come from literally everywhere. They're not just arabs, many of them don't even speak arabic apart from memorizing quran. So while you may feel like a foreigner to this religion, you'll come to find just how diverse and accepting it really is. I'm sure the mosques in Australia have Australian muslims with your very accent :p We all get super excited when someone is interested in us because the media makes us look scary ;D so people often become reluctant to ask questions or they judge without knowing, so you showing your interest and willingness to learn about us is very much revered.

M.I.A.
03-22-2017, 12:23 PM
whats Australia like?

is there a general viewpoint on the muslim population?

i have distant family there from generations ago..

although id quite like to holiday in aus..

when i get my pennies together.

also whats the general theistic consensus? ..is the population as a whole..

fitting of any stereotypes and tropes?

..welcome to the forum.

i did 2 semesters of arabic and the arabic teacher said my lot were rubbish lol..

ended up switching to spanish for the easy pass.. which i almost regret but it was a different me.

Aliskander
03-22-2017, 12:34 PM
Thanks firstly to Charisma's lovely comment above, hopefully it will be more interesting, should I visit, than just plain confusing.

The best way to think about Australia is: what if a retirement village were a country? Its very calm and not much happens here.

Even for a Western country there are very few Muslims. It's 2% or less.

I think the general viewpoint among the bogan community from which I come (bogan = Australian redneck) is not a good one. Its not a nice reality to admit, but it's true. None of my family can understand why I'm doing Arabic, some think its weird and others think it's Hindi.

Thanks for welcoming me. I've actually found the time to read a lot of these stories' forums. I think Muslims have a much better sense of community than 'Aussies'. We are wealthy, but also complacent, blunt and prone to all the wrong things (drinking far beyond excess, gambling etc.)

As for a theistic consensus. It's very much agnostic. Some, albeit little, belief in God. To summarise the national mood on religious belief I'd say our country is a resounding "Don't care."

You can see why I'd be one hell of an outlier.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
M.I.A.
03-22-2017, 12:55 PM
hmm..

well, that is upsetting lol.

im rapidly running out of holiday spots.

although my last holiday was years ago.

well, there is no harm in being opinionated.. as many people are.

also scared of spiders so i was in two minds anyway.

Aliskander
03-22-2017, 01:12 PM
Well hey - our spiders have enough venom in one drop to take down twenty men, but if you leave them alone, they leave you alone!

It's a lovely place to visit, but there's a reason a lot of young Australians are always travelling overseas - its not that exciting here. Lovely scenery, very relaxing though.

On the original point too - there is a big difference between country Aussies and city Aussies. It only hit me when I moved to the city. Almost all of our Muslim brothers and sisters live in the major cities - in my hometown of 40,000, I never once saw a Muslim person recognisable as such. The first time I moved to a city and saw a hijab, I was really in the Twilight Zone because I had only ever seen this on TV. I couldn't help but stare for a few seconds longer than appropriate, but it was certainly not out of rudeness, I hope.

A country Australian sounds like Bob Katter, one from the city sounds like Malcolm Turnbull. So I'd be especially out of place.

Scimitar
03-22-2017, 01:21 PM
As salaamu alaikum Aliskander (Alexander?) :)

This video of an Australian conversion reminded me of your post, so I thought I would share it here. Hoping you can draw some parallels from it, God willing.

Scimi

Aliskander
03-22-2017, 01:44 PM
Shukran Scimi (Maybe) :)

Thanks for that video brother. That's got more parallels than I thought it would, it was a very interesting story and yes, quite similar to my own. Impressed and humbled you just showed it to me off the top of your head. What I find most interesting about the dude was his background is quite similar to mine. Maybe its not so 'unchartered waters' for me to look further into it. What I like so much about the Qur'an so far, and what I've found any other religious text lacks, is it definitely is as though you are being spoken. And there's just a pull to it, and I couldn't deny its ability to be universal if it reaches guys like me and the mate in the video above.

It'll probably take me a while to work up the courage to walk in, but I'll have to think about how to go for it!

Aliskander
03-22-2017, 01:45 PM
Edit: are being spoken to*.

Indefinable
03-22-2017, 01:58 PM
,سلام عليكم يا أصدقائي

I'm interested in meeting Muslims and learning more about the deen. Thing is - I can say that here, but I'm unsure if I could say that in my community. I'm very much an Australian stereotype. I'm 21, working with boats, from rural New South Wales living now in the Capital. 100% Anglo boy. Not interested in giving a biography, but I know of only a few Muslims from University. They're some of the best people I know, but I think that even they would find it bizarre to hear me give this admission. I took up learning Arabic, originally for career prospects. I met these friends in class. I have hitherto been a carefree, fairly shallow-minded agnostic until I started learning more about the argument's for God's existence.

I have been reading the Qur'an (fil-lugha as-sawab, of course) and its just giving me more answers than I thought I'd ever see. I just think its true, and I've learned about how Muslims live this truth out.

I welcome particularly any stories about anyone else who maybe had this conundrum.

Thanks!
Hello Aliskander,

It's great that you have taken it upon yourself to find out more about Muslims, and Islam.

I know you're only 21, (very young) - so probably feel overwhelmed with this huge decision of declaring faith, however, I don't think you should worry about the acceptance of others.

You've read the Qur'an, how about delving a bit further and reading about the Prophets (peace be upon them) - surely they (peace be upon them) had struggles, conflicts with family, community, health.

I'm sure you'll find it interesting and related to your situation too.

Any other questions about Islam, or converting, then please feel free to ask on here.

In fact, a brother (eesa the kiwi) who posts on here, is also a Muslim who converted to Islam.
@eesa the kiwi

Scimitar
03-22-2017, 02:03 PM
Shukran Scimi (Maybe) :)

Thanks for that video brother. That's got more parallels than I thought it would, it was a very interesting story and yes, quite similar to my own. Impressed and humbled you just showed it to me off the top of your head. What I find most interesting about the dude was his background is quite similar to mine. Maybe its not so 'unchartered waters' for me to look further into it. What I like so much about the Qur'an so far, and what I've found any other religious text lacks, is it definitely is as though you are being spoken to. And there's just a pull to it, and I couldn't deny its ability to be universal if it reaches guys like me and the mate in the video above.

It'll probably take me a while to work up the courage to walk in, but I'll have to think about how to go for it!
:)

I'm pleased you drew parallels with the video. I find most people who are starting to experience this higher calling to their life purpose, recognise the Voice which calls them, only when reading the Qur'an.

The speech of God, to think about this alone is quite the experience. And to then understand that there is no such thing as coincidence, that all seeming coincidences are engineered by God, that what we experience when we are invited to Islam is no less than Destiny as willed by God. It's beyond what words can describe.

Going to a Mosque, is quite a surreal experience the first time, yet there is a familiarity one cannot place when one enters it. Within moments, your being can recognise itself centering to the idea of meditation in worship. As faces seem solemn and withdrawn, one realises each person present is engaged in their own reflections. Light upon light. Reflecting light. And this source, the Qur'an, invites one to seek truth. I've studied all the faiths the brother in the video mentioned, and some others too. When examining the holy books of other faiths, I found one thing they all had in common - they all required a prerequisite belief in said book.

While in the Qur'an, God asks the seeker to challenge each statement, test each idea, and question each understanding - it's the only holy book in the world which is beyond honesty in this sense. I haven't even begun to even scrape the surface of its' depths yet, and I been trying to for years, having said that, my capactiy to absorb is always topped out with the Qur'an due to the richness of it's language. When coupled with the commentaries and exegetes, the fleshing out of the initial skeletal understanding is overwhelming at times, and this richness in anthropological detail pertaining to the revelation of the Qur'an are in themselves contained in many volumes across many scholars of tafsir, each with his own collection. Combined, they complement and enrich the narrative to the point where inspiration takes on a whole new meaning. it's always emotional. And it hits home. Just as the brother in the video described at 10:42.

This doesn't really stop, it just becomes more, subtle and yet - more profound at the same time. Signs, for a people who reflect :)

God bless,

Scimi

Scottish Celt
03-22-2017, 02:38 PM
,سلام عليكم يا أصدقائي

Thanks!
As a westerner myself I feel I can relate to this I'm very nearing converting I still regard myself a novice as I try & learn day by day I cant speak fluent Arabic just meaniful parts/sayings,i speak with a Scottish accent dress in typical western clothes t-shirts/tracksuits/jeans etc but I don't look like your stereotype Scotsman LOL,i haven't got pale skin or freckles I'm pretty dark skinned despite terrible weather & have black hair I have grown a beard so I do look the part & love to embrace it,good luck Brother,..Btw,I have relatives from Melbourne,from my Grandfathers side who moved from Glasgow to Oz in the 70s,we lost contact many yrs ago though

Indefinable
03-22-2017, 03:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scottish Celt
As a westerner myself I feel I can relate to this I'm very nearing converting I still regard myself a novice as I try & learn day by day I cant speak fluent Arabic just meaniful parts/sayings,i speak with a Scottish accent dress in typical western clothes t-shirts/tracksuits/jeans etc but I don't look like your stereotype Scotsman LOL,i haven't got pale skin or freckles I'm pretty dark skinned despite terrible weather & have black hair I have grown a beard so I do look the part & love to embrace it,good luck Brother,..Btw,I have relatives from Melbourne,from my Grandfathers side who moved from Glasgow to Oz in the 70s,we lost contact many yrs ago though
May Allaah the Most Merciful, make it easy for you, and May He the Exalted guide you to the sweetness of faith. Ameen.

Btw - Muslims come in all shapes, sizes, and colours, races. As long as you are dressed modestly and have the beard, then it's all good.

Scottish Celt
03-22-2017, 03:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Indefinable
May Allaah the Most Merciful, make it easy for you, and May He the Exalted guide you to the sweetness of faith. Ameen.

Btw - Muslims come in all shapes, sizes, and colours, races. As long as you are dressed modestly and have the beard, then it's all good.
Thank you Sister,i feel 2017 is going to be a great year for me

eesa the kiwi
03-23-2017, 05:41 AM
,سلام عليكم يا أصدقائي

Thanks!

welcome both of you

im a convert to islam myself and while i admit it was culture shock iniatially it was easily the best thing i have ever done. There is something so fufilling in the way Muslims worship their Creator, its like your soul is telling you when you put your head on the ground in sujood "this is what i was created for"

if you have any questions dont hesitate to hit me up, im more than happy to try answer any questions you may have inshaAllah khair

i just want to leave you with a video, it is a recitation of the quran with english subtitles please do watch and share any thoughts you may have as it is quite a moving experience

wishing you both the best, May Allah bless your stay here

greenhill
03-23-2017, 10:08 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Amongst the things we, as muslims should do is to dakwah (to invite people into the deen). This is not an easy thing hence many people avoid it altogether. It is easier to stick together than to reach out to others. Besides, not everyone is good at doing it and in most cases, they probably feel inadequate (in knowledge) to clearly explain or answer questions that may arise.

But, if however, a stranger approaches and asks, the onus is not on them to start, instead merely to give you answers, the chances are they may end up arranging for you to meet the appropriate person. If not, he/she will be accountable to Allah as to why he/she ignored you when you asked.

So, do not be afraid . . .

Wishing you a great stay.

:peace:

AbdurRahman.
03-23-2017, 11:15 AM
MaashAllah brother your already Muslim inshALlah as you believe in the heart! [according to one valid opinion] and you would formalise that belief by saying the shahdah!

Australian muslims will accept you and welcome you with open arms; us muslims worldwide know that Islam is the natural religion and surely Allah has kept many many good people out there to save so it wont be a surprise or odd to them; trust me, their expecting australians like you to go to them and say, id like to convert! :); they'd be delighted!!!!!

so throw all your qualms away and go to nearest mosque or muslim friends and convert! :)

thereafter you can learn about Islam from them and on here too

all the best! :Emoji43:

AbdurRahman.
03-23-2017, 11:18 AM
black hair dark skin?; your already half muslim! :Emoji48::Emoji48::Emoji48:

Scottish Celt
03-23-2017, 11:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AbdullahAziz
black hair dark skin?; your already half muslim! :Emoji48::Emoji48::Emoji48:
Lots of people I know always say I have a mediterian or Arabic look about me:shade:

AbdurRahman.
03-23-2017, 11:50 AM
Lots of people I know always say I have a mediterian or Arabic look about me:shade:
hmm it wont be hard to find an exotic sister then once you've converted! :Emoji48::Emoji48: [jk! white guys are pretty handsome too! :Emoji48:]

Aliskander
03-24-2017, 09:16 AM
Thanks to Eesa for the video. Honestly listening to the Qur'an was something I started doing over a year ago just to hear Arabic properly, and when I found myself listening to it just because I liked it, I knew something was going on..

MaashAllah brother your already Muslim inshALlah as you believe in the heart! [according to one valid opinion] and you would formalise that belief by saying the shahdah!
Yeah I think this is true, I think there's a thing inside every human which draws them to it. I can't say I feel the same way regarding Buddhist or Christian beliefs... they're just normal beliefs to me. Islam is something else entirely, it lives within you I believe.

black hair dark skin?; your already half muslim!
Maybe helps our Scottish brother? I'm nearly blonde here.

Thanks for the great words, I wasn't wrong about the realness of the Muslims.

Simple_Person
03-24-2017, 09:31 AM
Brother you luuk laike one of them a-rabs. Bein' all them half black 'n stuff. :Emoji22:

Scottish Celt
03-25-2017, 10:17 PM
,سلام عليكم يا أصدقائي

Thanks!
I was just spending this Saturday evening watching YT video's,i came across this,and actually thought about you,a fellow Australian converting to Islam.

https://youtu.be/9xhZ00xnHIA

AbdurRahman.
03-25-2017, 10:25 PM
Maybe helps our Scottish brother? I'm nearly blonde here.
nah nah dont worry you will be 'helped' just as much; are you single???; marrying wont be a problem as i'm sure many sisters like blondes too! :Emoji51:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.