/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Nafs vs Roo7 . ( Self vs Soul?)

HindTheRevert
03-23-2017, 08:36 PM
Salam Alaikum,

I will go straight to the idea if I may. I came across a very intriguing distinction today, the distinction between nafs and rooh ( roo7) and how " death" has a different name when it regards the expiration of each. Wafat for nafs and mawt for roo7. I wondered if anyone here has been exposed to similar ideas? basically that rooh is divine energy every living thing has, giving it life and capability to move, while nafs is you, your intentions and your mind, the thing that wills actions and the thing you tame to Allah´s will. When your rooh dies youre dead, there can be no life in your body however if only your nafs passes away Then ur roo7 still gives life and movement to your body. There was a reference to Jesus being lifted and how the distinction would explain the scenario. There were other parts I didnt fully fathom and would like to read again. The site I came across was in Arabic, it referred to ayat and hadiths. Very compelling in my opinion, but as usual I am compelled to see what others think and know so that anything I may have missed can come forth inshallah. If anyone is interested I will of course fish out the site and post a link here, and even briefly summarize the main content in English if needed. in the meantime I hope anyone else who has a perspective will share it here, and thank you in advance.

May Allah be with you.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aaj
03-23-2017, 08:55 PM
:salam:

can you share the site ?

There are lot of sites out there and not all of them are authentic, regardless of how much they quote the Quran and the Sunnah. We and especially converts have to be careful when navigating through the net in terms of seeking deen knowledge.

As far as we know, nafs is just your humanistic desires and wants. These are part of you as a human being and stay with you so long as you live. Your body is a vessel, your rooh is the driver and your nafs are the music that can stray you off the road. Our job is to control them nafs so they don't lead us into the pit.

ardianto
03-23-2017, 10:19 PM
Wa'alaikumsalam.

Wafat is die, while mawt is death. And there's no death for rooh (soul). When the body die, the soul will out from the body and move to alam barzakh (transition universe between world and hereafter).

If the body was computer hardware, then the rooh was software. Without this 'software' our brain would not work and we would not have nafs (desire).

AbdurRahman.
03-26-2017, 09:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HindTheRevert
basically that rooh is divine energy every living thing has
be wary of any site that says any part of the creation is divine; this is totally rejected in Islam and considered shirk!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
HindTheRevert
04-08-2017, 02:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aaj
:salam:

can you share the site ?

There are lot of sites out there and not all of them are authentic, regardless of how much they quote the Quran and the Sunnah. We and especially converts have to be careful when navigating through the net in terms of seeking deen knowledge.

As far as we know, nafs is just your humanistic desires and wants. These are part of you as a human being and stay with you so long as you live. Your body is a vessel, your rooh is the driver and your nafs are the music that can stray you off the road. Our job is to control them nafs so they don't lead us into the pit.

Wa Alaikum Assalam,

Thank you brother for simplifying it, I see it will benefit from reading threads here. Here is the link, do give your thoughts:
https://tafaser.com/2014/02/24/%D8%A3%D9%8E%D9%88%D9%92%D8%AC%D9%8F%D9%87%D9%8F-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%A8%D9%8E%D9%8A%D9%8E%D8%A7%D9%86%D 9%92-%D9%81%D9%90%D9%8A-%D9%83%D9%8E%D9%84%D9%8E%D8%A7%D9%85%D9%90-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B1%D9%8E%D9%91-3/

HindTheRevert
04-08-2017, 02:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Wa'alaikumsalam.

Wafat is die, while mawt is death. And there's no death for rooh (soul). When the body die, the soul will out from the body and move to alam barzakh (transition universe between world and hereafter).

If the body was computer hardware, then the rooh was software. Without this 'software' our brain would not work and we would not have nafs (desire).
Thank you, would you have any recommendations or links to sources that talk more about about the nafs and its journey?

HindTheRevert
04-08-2017, 02:26 PM
I genuinely appreciate the concern and warning.

format_quote Originally Posted by AbdullahAziz
be wary of any site that says any part of the creation is divine; this is totally rejected in Islam and considered shirk!

azc
04-08-2017, 03:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HindTheRevert
Salam Alaikum, I will go straight to the idea if I may. I came across a very intriguing distinction today, the distinction between nafs and rooh ( roo7) and how " death" has a different name when it regards the expiration of each. Wafat for nafs and mawt for roo7. I wondered if anyone here has been exposed to similar ideas? basically that rooh is divine energy every living thing has, giving it life and capability to move, while nafs is you, your intentions and your mind, the thing that wills actions and the thing you tame to Allah´s will. When your rooh dies youre dead, there can be no life in your body however if only your nafs passes away Then ur roo7 still gives life and movement to your body. There was a reference to Jesus being lifted and how the distinction would explain the scenario. There were other parts I didnt fully fathom and would like to read again. The site I came across was in Arabic, it referred to ayat and hadiths. Very compelling in my opinion, but as usual I am compelled to see what others think and know so that anything I may have missed can come forth inshallah. If anyone is interested I will of course fish out the site and post a link here, and even briefly summarize the main content in English if needed. in the meantime I hope anyone else who has a perspective will share it here, and thank you in advance.May Allah be with you.
wafat and mawt are synonyms. I think nafs ammarah which incites to commit sins should be subdued, gradually it will be replaced by nafs lawwama and if perseverely remain steadfast, eventually, you've the accessibility to nafs mutma'inna. As far as rooh is concerned you've to keep trying to get it purified.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.