/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Having just stopped playing video games, I am having some difficulty. Please Help?

Brother_40805
03-27-2017, 06:35 PM
First of all I would like to apologies if this topic is in the wrong section as I am new to the website and this forums.

Secondly I have no experience in building great threads so bear with me if I have not laid out my topic correctly or have not made sense.

The problem I am facing is a very difficult one. It's been going on for a long time. Granted this is only one of the problems I am having in my life I thought I'd describe in much detail as I can.

This problem has existed all through my life but has intensified in the last 8 years. Obviously you have guessed it that its in relation to video games attachment but its way more complex.

About 4 years ago I was under the OCD of consistently buying and selling games and having the best thing possible. That has gone thanks to Allah and to be quite honest. Although I look mature from the outside internally I feel like a child

Long story short in the last six months after being unemployed since finishing my degree which is worthless now as I had little to no islam before that despite staying by myself all the time (which is inherited) I have found a job to pay for my bills

Alongside that I maintained my prayers five times a day and recitation of the Quran with meaning for about a year now as well as giving what I can in charity and keep fast in Ramadan, doing abundant Zikr of Allah to the point of fearing Allah is always present.

I do my very best to respect my mum and 90% of the time I succeed now Alhamdulillah. Gonna make it 100% as quickly as possible. I have also corrected and maintained good relationship with my family and relatives and made amends where needed. Do Dua for me inshallah.

I have continually sought knowledge on islam and to always tweak and update my self as a Muslim. Although I have a lot of problems in my life which I will get to over the next few months on this forum, I still like to touch firstly on subject of video games today. Why you may ask?. Well...

Video games have been my passion and attachment and my core personality gravitates towards it more so than anything else which is why I am here today to correct this problem and seek resolution and advice.

When i started my job six months ago I have also paid for and started a second degree in software engineering which I am doing slowly and steadily to better my chances on securing a job in software industry. I have bought a 4k tv and PS4 pro and about 6 games at full price to keep me satisfied so that I don't spend more money on games for the entire year.

I have just now in the last 10 days been blessed by Allah to get enough money saved for a ticket to Umrah next which I will be going with my mum. Alhamdulillah!

Anyway, now I am facing confusion over the fact that I should stop playing video games due to many things some of which are listed below.

- They contain themes of violence, nudity, shirk and lying and all stuff associated with evil. Now these are the games I am interested in. Although 90% of my interest is in the gameplay itself and not in experiencing these things in general.
- The are addictive and waste of time which Allah and our prophet advised against wasting.
- Once I get over the initial excitement of buying a new game and the best game. I have an excessive time playing and then the same excitement turns into boredom once i realize there is nothing else to do in the game.
- If I let go of something from this world for Allah sake then Allah will replace it with something better.

Although this is normal I feel like I am disobeying Allah by playing video games and even unintentionally looking at unclothed women and committing shirk. However I have already spent about £800 on everything video gaming in 2 months only now I feel like giving up the hobby altogether. I regret facing embarrassment if I sell all the stuff except for the tv/monitor of course which I can use for PC. I have all of a sudden removed my accounts from every video gaming forums and have removed all video game and movies related subscriptions from YouTube and have even cleared my PC of all pirated software and the like.

I feel like my whole life is destroyed especially after I just made amends after getting a job. What can i do about those games. Is it ok to play them and keep them?. I am trying to better my self as a muslim because I really want to paradise. Even if i am the lowest person in Jannat-ul-firdous I will be happy and satisfied because them I can meet my Prophets regularly and the Suhasbas.

In my heart there is a constant clash between movies, video games and Islam.

You advise will be much appreciated as you all are much closer to Allah then I will ever be. Allahu A'lam. After giving your responses please remember me in your prayer.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Scimitar
03-27-2017, 07:20 PM
As far as I am aware, movies (pg rating and under) and video games (again same safe rating) are not haraam - but over indulgence of anything is not advised in Islam.

Moderation in our hobbies is always good practice. If your hobby is video gaming, then discipline yourself to play only after you've achieved your goals for that day.

This is just a matter of simple discipline. Be easy on your self, and harder on your playtime,

Assalaam alaikum

Scimi

*charisma*
03-27-2017, 07:43 PM
Assalamu Alaikum,

From what I'm reading, you're conflicted because you want to continue on this path of improving your iman and the games issue is a vice/weakness you see in yourself (since it's the cause of wasting time and sinful elements).

Well, really the only thing I can advise is for you to find a better hobby. Find something that gives you that same excitement and interest. You really can't do that unless you actually go and make new experiences. Instead of spending so much on games, travel somewhere new? Do something really nice for someone else? Not sure the games you're playing, but maybe you can do the same thing in real life..(ie. go to a shooting range, play a sport, etc.).

You need to have a time of reflection and figure out why you like to play games (eg. is it relaxing for you? Is it mind-stimulating? Is it exciting?) and replace it with things that are more beneficial inshallah. I personally don't see how games can be of benefit unless you're very good and you're getting paid big bucks to play :D But learning a new skill or gaining a new hobby can be beneficial. Being addicted to gaming is not good in the long run; I don't think we should be addicted to anything in this worldly life.

Brother_40805
03-27-2017, 08:11 PM
Aslamoalaikum Thanks for your replies. I think you misunderstood my thread. I said I am attached to video games not addicted which you are implying. They are a source of comfort for me but then so is Quran, Salah and Zikr.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*charisma*
03-27-2017, 08:40 PM
Sorry for assuming that. In any case, do what you think is best for your iman. I think everyone has their own hobbies for stress-release. Yours is gaming, and if you prefer to be attached to something better, then try to eliminate the gaming and use your time doing other things. Or as bro scimi said, limit your time/access to it.

Brother_40805
03-27-2017, 09:29 PM
Jazakallah khair for the advice

Green.Signal
03-29-2017, 03:09 PM
If anyone else have any other opinion please feel free to chime in. jazakallah khair!

Green.Signal
03-29-2017, 03:18 PM
Continuation from the above message which is sent by mistake. I would like to say that OP brings up a serious issue which I have found my friends experience day in day out where they have been hooked to COD and LOL and other such MOBAs and I think that taking the first step is great especially when Allah says like you said that he will replace this with something better. What you have done is just the first step brother. Mashallah. Allah will rectify your life and give you much better in return. My dua is with you.

Brother_40805
03-29-2017, 03:23 PM
^^^ jazakallah for the kind words brother. May Allah accept your sincere dua.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.