/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is OREO Halal or Haram?

Serinity
04-04-2017, 04:12 PM
:salam:

I want to know whether it is halal or not?? There is rennet according to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oreo#International_distribution

Allahu alam.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Supernova
04-04-2017, 04:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serinity

I want to know whether it is halal or not?? There is rennet according to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oreo#International_distribution

Allahu alam.
Asalaamualaykum
As with many products - the ingredients differ in each country.
Does your country have an islamic halaal board that you can forward it to ?

Serinity
04-04-2017, 04:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by samirbrazendale
Asalaamualaykum
As with many products - the ingredients differ in each country.
Does your country have an islamic halaal board that you can forward it to ?
Well.. From what I can read from OREO's website it says that it is not halal approved. There is a website, yes, like Islamqa.com. And the OREO doesn't have a halal-approved sign on it. Though from what *I can read from the product informations on the packaging, I see no "haram" stuff.. but Idk.

there might be this rennet, and there is his Antioxidant E306 and E304

Allahu alam

Simple_Person
04-04-2017, 06:17 PM
You have to look at the emulsifier. Sometimes and this is often it is branded as E471. Majority of times this this pork or beef but still not halal. Where i live, the emulsifier with OREO is Soy Lecithin, in other words permissible to eat. Often companies do this so vegetarians also can buy. The last or well better say the group that they don't care about are the Muslims. When Muslims speak, nobody listens, when vegetarians speak, everybody is quite and listens to them. Sub'han'Allah look at the mercy of Allah that every time countries try to make it hard for Muslims, a minority group that is way smaller than Muslims speaks out for them selves and is done in their favor and thus Muslims can still eat. Even halal slaughtering, when ritual slaughtering is tried to be banned from a country, suddenly this also effects Jews. Because of that they cannot ban it, or else people are being afraid to be branded as antisemitic.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Serinity
04-04-2017, 07:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Simple_Person
You have to look at the emulsifier. Sometimes and this is often it is branded as E471. Majority of times this this pork or beef but still not halal. Where i live, the emulsifier with OREO is Soy Lecithin, in other words permissible to eat. Often companies do this so vegetarians also can buy. The last or well better say the group that they don't care about are the Muslims. When Muslims speak, nobody listens, when vegetarians speak, everybody is quite and listens to them. Sub'han'Allah look at the mercy of Allah that every time countries try to make it hard for Muslims, a minority group that is way smaller than Muslims speaks out for them selves and is done in their favor and thus Muslims can still eat. Even halal slaughtering, when ritual slaughtering is tried to be banned from a country, suddenly this also effects Jews. Because of that they cannot ban it, or else people are being afraid to be branded as antisemitic.
Yeah, afaik, kosher food is halal for us. What Allah :swt: made permissible for the Jews that is permissible for us.

This is just sad. Just look at the double-standards. If they tried to ban something "Jewish" for being from Judaism, etc. They'd be called anti-semitic. But with Muslims it is okay to be hateful and try to ban every part of our religion.

they tout their countries as "freedom of choice" but yeh right. Until and unless we can practice Islam without any discrimination, that is.

There is written "Emulgator (sojalecithin)" on the packaging.

M.I.A.
04-04-2017, 07:28 PM
oreo's in the uk are suitable for vegetarians..

although neither halal nor kosher certified.

they are produced in Spain and the Czech Republic..

according to the website.

..which people should Czech often to be safe.

Scimitar
04-04-2017, 07:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.

turbo eye roll :D

Scimi

Serinity
04-04-2017, 07:39 PM
so they are halal??

Simple_Person
04-04-2017, 07:42 PM
Yeah, afaik, kosher food is halal for us. What Allah :swt: made permissible for the Jews that is permissible for us.

This is just sad. Just look at the double-standards. If they tried to ban something "Jewish" for being from Judaism, etc. They'd be called anti-semitic. But with Muslims it is okay to be hateful and try to ban every part of our religion.

they tout their countries as "freedom of choice" but yeh right. Until and unless we can practice Islam without any discrimination, that is.

There is written "Emulgator (sojalecithin)" on the packaging.
They may try their utmost best to make it hard for us in this world. This is our punishment in this dunya. Their punishment is in the hereafter also. Allah knows best but can you imagine the amount of hardship and injustice they have caused us we on the Day of Judgement go and gather their good deeds and of they haven't any left we giving them our bad deeds. Only thinking about it I can't stop smiling out of happiness ;D

That means it is from soY beans. In other words not from animals but plants and thus you can eat. When it only says Emulgator and nothing else I always take certainty above uncertainty and do not eat. However if like in this case explicitly is said soylicithine then it is oke to eat. Majority of candy it is pork Emulgator. Many culture Muslims don't care and often they still eat it despite me noticing what it is all about. Any how they end up in their grave and me in mine.

Supernova
04-04-2017, 08:46 PM
Well.. From what I can read from OREO's website it says that it is not halal approved. There is a website, yes, like Islamqa.com. And the OREO doesn't have a halal-approved sign on it. Though from what *I can read from the product informations on the packaging, I see no "haram" stuff.. but Idk.

there might be this rennet, and there is his Antioxidant E306 and E304

Allahu alam
Asalaamualaykum
Like I said your local halaal authority would tell you.

Consider the following : If the Oreo website says it is not halaal approved...which which halaal body is it regarding as the benchmark ?
The reason I said that is because just on the topic of Rennet the hanafi school has a different view in certain circumstances etc.

The you will have another issue about the topic of using an impermissible yet it goes through processes whereby the result is doesn't resemble what it started of as. There is difference of opinion on this matter too.

The E numbers are associated partially with the above paragraph.

Bottom line - it is almost impossible for the layman today to regard a product halaal or haraam without the expertise of the a halaal board or an Aalim/a who is well versed in the subject.

Alhumdullila that you making an effort to research this - please keep us informed with your thesis on it.

Serinity
04-04-2017, 09:32 PM
I want to do some research / check on the antioxidants E304 and E306. In shaa' Allah I will be successful. Until then I won't eat it, as it is.

we need a Halal-approver - company, who checks products. Anyways, basic principle is - if in doubt leave it ??

noraina
04-04-2017, 09:33 PM
Wa alaykum assalam,

They say suitable for vegetarians here on the UK packaging, and that's what I usually go by. For example, in the UK anything with carmine in it will *not* be listed as vegetarian, so it is pretty reliable as far as I know....

Google is, true to its nature, giving mixed results.

I hope they are fine, they're my favourite base to use in a cheesecake, lol.

Supernova
04-04-2017, 09:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
Wa alaykum assalam,

They say suitable for vegetarians here on the UK packaging, and that's what I usually go by. For example, in the UK anything with carmine in it will *not* be listed as vegetarian, so it is pretty reliable as far as I know....

Google is, true to its nature, giving mixed results.

I hope they are fine, they're my favourite base to use in a cheesecake, lol.
Someone is busy baking "hip expanders"

Serinity
04-05-2017, 04:12 PM
Now if The emulgator is ok, what about the Antioxidants, E304 and E306? searching "E304" on google: Ascorbyl palmitate - an ester - made from acid and alcohol.

Well, once an alcohol or any other thing is transformed into another thing, the rulings change too, right?

E306 ... Idk. Is it natural?

beleiver
04-05-2017, 04:41 PM
Could someone please explain why it might be sin to eat Oreo..Given the toxins in food and medicine these days(for years and years) a bit of rennet seems insignificant, is rennet the only issue here if so why? Cheese is made with the stuff, is cheese Halal?

M.I.A.
04-05-2017, 04:54 PM
the only real reason i can think of is progress.

if people are not given incentive to change then no effort is put towards change..

its like vaccines that contain pork derived gelatine.. and have done for the past decade.

no effort has been made to find alternatives or persue alternate paths.

in an ideal world things would be different.

but they are not.

common sense is advised.

also this is the first time iv ever heard the word emulgator lol.

but allah swt knows best, im at a point where i would fear to question anything really.

just out of surgery monday night and still peeing ribena.

Serinity
04-06-2017, 02:27 PM
on the packaging it says "Vegetable fat-ies (Antioxidants: E306 and E304) " So can I safely assume it is "Veggy" and thus halal??

E304
Ascorbyl Palmitate
Antioxidants- Vitamin C and derivatives
Halal if saturated fatty acid Palmitic acid is obtained from plant. Haraam if palmitic acid is obtained from pork fat
E306
Natural Extracts rich in Tocopherols
Antioxidants- Vitamin E
Halal If Tocopherol is obtained from plant fat. Haraam if Tocopherol is obtained from pork fat

Is this page reliable: https://special.worldofislam.info/Food/numbers.html ?

Assuming "vegetable Fat-ies" means that they are extracted from plants, then it is halal. If not from plants but pork or any haram-slaughtered animal, then haram.

But seeing Vegetable faties (E304 and E306) .. From what I can infer, they are halal.

What about Glucose-FructoseSirup?? What is that?

Allahu alam..

respecta
04-06-2017, 03:10 PM
Oreos Double Cream is the best.

Serinity
04-06-2017, 03:48 PM
From what I can tell Glucose-Fructose-Syrup comes from corn i.e. plants.

Allahu alam tho.

Simple_Person
04-06-2017, 03:56 PM
Often ask those questions on vegetarian forums. Those guys are extremists when it comes to going vegetarian all the way. What I mean by extremists is that they really do their own study about it and often have got more possibility to some knowledge than Muslims. Companies are afraid of them but not for Muslims.

If a Muslims says company X are liars and deceivers nobody is listening to them 8f a vegetarian group says the same this is so damaging for them because they actively bring it out in to the open and even force it as a topic in politics.

So rather open up a account on their forums and ask around.

Serinity
04-06-2017, 04:07 PM
Why aren't we taken seriously?? Is it because we aren't as vocal about it as veggies??

Allahu alam.

M.I.A.
04-06-2017, 07:39 PM
Attachment 6097

...oreo n icecream milkshake.

..i couldnt even give these away lol.

allah swt raises and lowers as he wills.

Simple_Person
04-06-2017, 08:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by beleiver
Could someone please explain why it might be sin to eat Oreo..Given the toxins in food and medicine these days(for years and years) a bit of rennet seems insignificant, is rennet the only issue here if so why? Cheese is made with the stuff, is cheese Halal?
Well it has nothing to do with Oreo, it has to do with the ingredients. I myself do eat Oreo's, however this is based on that i have found no pork or just animal gelatin in it. In general if there are ingredients that are prohibited as Muslims we do not eat. As for example pork and non-halal food are prohibited to eat. Although if i eat Oreo's is if somebody offers it to me. I try to eat more healthy food and snacks instead.

So as Muslims IF it is clear that it contains such ingredients, we better stay away from it, sometimes even in unclear situations better abstain eating or drinking it. I have heard from some scholars that say if it contains such small amounts, it is still permissible to eat. However i ask myself will i die if i do not eat that particular food? Nope. So that is why i just abstain from eating it. An example of that is Coca Cola, 2 years ago or so, i read that Coca Cola indeed contains very small amounts of alcohol as the company even confirmed it. So i abstained from drinking it. The question is, will it harm me from not drinking it? Well hahahaha Coca Cola or coke in general is already some nasty drink and very unhealthy, so i am not missing out whatsoever :). There is always, tea, coffee, water, fruit juices etc. Although i can also drink fanta, 7 up, dr pepper..you name it.

Scimitar
04-06-2017, 08:35 PM
I want to do some research / check on the antioxidants E304 and E306. In shaa' Allah I will be successful. Until then I won't eat it, as it is.

we need a Halal-approver - company, who checks products. Anyways, basic principle is - if in doubt leave it ??
http://enumbersapp.com/en/1

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/e-fo...326134581?mt=8

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-free-...ify-additives/

Scimi

Butterfly
04-07-2017, 05:07 AM
AsSalaamu alaikum

Does anyone know a Halal Authority in USA?

Zeal
04-07-2017, 08:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
AsSalaamu alaikum

Does anyone know a Halal Authority in USA?
I think if it's suitable for vegetarians then it should be halal unless it contains alcohol

http://www.muslimconsumergroup.com/#&panel1-1

Butterfly
04-07-2017, 04:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zeal
I think if it's suitable for vegetarians then it should be halal unless it contains alcohol

http://www.muslimconsumergroup.com/#&panel1-1

Thank you Brother

noraina
04-07-2017, 06:02 PM
This website seems interesting....http://www.food-info.net/uk/qa/qa-fi45.htm

About the E-colours 304 and 306, from what I understand, 306 is definitely vegan and hence halal, with 304 it is *usually* vegan but not always. I would like to think that the fact Oreo biscuits are listed as 'suitable for vegetarians' it means they've derived their 304 from plants...

But definitely check out some of the vegetarian or vegan forums, they are serious about what they eat and have helped me tremendously in the past.

E-colours really get on my nerves sometimes...

beleiver
04-07-2017, 06:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Simple_Person
Well it has nothing to do with Oreo, it has to do with the ingredients. I myself do eat Oreo's, however this is based on that i have found no pork or just animal gelatin in it. In general if there are ingredients that are prohibited as Muslims we do not eat. As for example pork and non-halal food are prohibited to eat. Although if i eat Oreo's is if somebody offers it to me. I try to eat more healthy food and snacks instead.

So as Muslims IF it is clear that it contains such ingredients, we better stay away from it, sometimes even in unclear situations better abstain eating or drinking it. I have heard from some scholars that say if it contains such small amounts, it is still permissible to eat. However i ask myself will i die if i do not eat that particular food? Nope. So that is why i just abstain from eating it. An example of that is Coca Cola, 2 years ago or so, i read that Coca Cola indeed contains very small amounts of alcohol as the company even confirmed it. So i abstained from drinking it. The question is, will it harm me from not drinking it? Well hahahaha Coca Cola or coke in general is already some nasty drink and very unhealthy, so i am not missing out whatsoever :). There is always, tea, coffee, water, fruit juices etc. Although i can also drink fanta, 7 up, dr pepper..you name it.

So anything that contains ingredients from animals killed in a certain non halal way as well as anything containing Pork?
If so it must be mine field..
What about toxins, most processed and commercially grown veg and meats and medicines is toxic these days..Doesnt it say somewhere in a Hadith a toxin even in small amount is Haram?
Dont waste your time replying if you dont want, i have for a long time tried to satay away from such foods anyway..Including Pork, i had a tour of a commercial Pig farm once, i could never support that industry, how those creatures are treated is a sin for sure..

Main reason i am replying to thread, I heard on Radio earlier, a study showed Oreos to be more addictive than Cocaine and Heroin, i kid you not..:D

Simple_Person
04-07-2017, 07:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by beleiver
So anything that contains ingredients from animals killed in a certain non halal way as well as anything containing Pork?
If so it must be mine field..
What about toxins, most processed and commercially grown veg and meats and medicines is toxic these days..Doesnt it say somewhere in a Hadith a toxin even in small amount is Haram?
Dont waste your time replying if you dont want, i have for a long time tried to satay away from such foods anyway..Including Pork, i had a tour of a commercial Pig farm once, i could never support that industry, how those creatures are treated is a sin for sure..

Main reason i am replying to thread, I heard on Radio earlier, a study showed Oreos to be more addictive than Cocaine and Heroin, i kid you not..:D
The more dedicated you become in your religion, the more you are aware of those things and keep in mind what to eat and what not to eat. For you right now, you think..wooow a mountain to climb and so hard. However, if you have never done that and suddenly just jump in it, it is rather difficult so to say. However slowly your habits change and you automatically look at the ingredients. Often because i am aware of those additives you automatically also notice how much c**p is put in our food so to say. It is not food anymore. In other words, i have stopped eating A LOT of food although it may not contain pork or non-halal additives. Just seeing all those additives that really are not good for your body, well i was thinking never mind then. I about 2 years ago started to experiment with meat. Slowly eating less meat. First once a week, to make a sandwich with some chicken meat. Then i was planning to eat once every two weeks, but i automatically ate once maybe every month.

I noticed two things. It almost tasted as if somebody had put A LOT of fat in that chicken that i was always buying and eating. This was because my tastebuds were going in to their original start so to say. So i tasted A LOT of fat. That was just nasty. All the meat that i ate at peoples houses was tasting as if i was eating just some fat. So when i ate meat i only took a small part, off course people being all surprised about why i did not grab the most delicious part of the meal..(the meat) XD.

The second thing i noticed, i suddenly lost a lot of my belly fat, without doing that much exercise, as a matter of fact, i was even exercising less, but i lost a lot of fat around the sides. That was some very surprising stuff.

A third thing i also noticed was, that the muscles i had, didn't really go away that much. It adapted but not as how those expert say. I became a bit less, but i still have a lot of muscles, despite me eating now and then some eggs and dates. For the rest, i eat what i want to eat. I have also tried to eat less. As our prophet has said to fill up your stomach with 1/3 food, 1/3 water, 1/3 air. In other words, never fill up your stomach. This also is very surprising as you have more energy if you do that.

About the Oreo's well it doesn't surprise me whatsoever. Criminals will do whatever to keep selling their products. In the recent years i was losing a lot of hair getting bald fast. However since i changed my diet, my hair loss suddenly has slowed down. Although i do not care so much a bout it, as i have shaved my head a couple of times in the past it baldness suits me :). Alhamdulillah.

I have also experimented with different food, for example eggs from the far or the grocery store. Different taste and different color. Just the same with milk and yogurt and other things. What you buy in the grocery store to me i know i have something in my mouth but it is tasteless. This year for the first time growing some cucumbers, potatoes, watermelon, strawberries, herbs and different types of tomatoes on the balcony.

Btw, better replying to some respectful talk, instead of watching some useless videos on youtube :).

Serinity
04-08-2017, 10:07 AM
Idk if this is true, but is there bone char in Oreos??

For chocolate:

there is this E-number: E322 on it. It is Lecitihin, afaik. It is to soften, say chocolate. AFAIK. Is it halal? Because it can be taken from egg-yolk or soy-beans but also animals??

But since on the packaging on the chocolate it says "(E322)" only. SO Idk if from animals, or plants??

SubhanAllah, the more I see into the e-numbers the more I doubt what I eat.

noraina
04-08-2017, 11:10 AM
Idk if this is true, but is there bone char in Oreos??

For chocolate:

there is this E-number: E322 on it. It is Lecitihin, afaik. It is to soften, say chocolate. AFAIK. Is it halal? Because it can be taken from egg-yolk or soy-beans but also animals??

But since on the packaging on the chocolate it says "(E322)" only. SO Idk if from animals, or plants??

SubhanAllah, the more I see into the e-numbers the more I doubt what I eat.
Akhi, I do consider myself quite vigilant when it comes to food, but sometimes it can come to a point of paranoia where you are wary of eating everything, lol.

I think ultimately anything we eat could be traced back to, or have been contaminated with, something questionable. When it comes to food, I check the 'Suitable for Vegetarians' label, look for a questionable ingredient like rennet, shellac, carmine, alcohol and then there are 4 e-colours I watch out for:

E120 Cochineal : a red colour obtained from female insects

E441 Gelatine : derived from the bones and/ or hides of cattle and/ or pigs

E542 Edible Bone Phosphate : an extract from animal bones

E904 Shellac : a resin from the lac insect

If something has none of these things, it's generally clear in'sha'Allah.

So don't kill yourself over it. About Lecithin though, if it is derived from animals it *won't* be suitable for vegetarians, and the Oreo website says they are vegetarian, so I'd say it is soy lecithin.

If you are really uncomfortable, then just leave it. Since I've taken more care, I'm actually quite a bit more healthy as I go for more organic foods or bake my own things at home :).

noraina
04-08-2017, 11:13 AM
Look what I found: http://www.errenskitchen.com/homemade-oreo-cookies/

I am so trying it and I will give you all a review in'sha'Allah.

Serinity
04-10-2017, 09:40 AM

From what I know (from a google search) some of the oreos' sugar might be processed with bone char. (from a veggie site)

Besides, the Glucose-Fructose Syrup seems to be proccessed with Genetically Modified corn (GM corn) . Which is bad. are the apples and vegetables at the grocery store even fully natural? I doubt it.

my question is, if the sugar is processed with bone char, is it haram? Secondly, it is not written in the packaging.

As for that link, I'd like to try to bake that lol.

Allahu alam.

ZeeshanParvez
04-10-2017, 09:43 AM
Until you find out just avoid it. Save your Diin. This world is but a few days.

Narrated An-Nu'man bin Bashir:

I heard Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) saying, 'Both legal and illegal things are evident but in between them there are doubtful (suspicious) things and most of the people have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from these suspicious things saves his religion and his honor. And whoever indulges in these suspicious things is like a shepherd who grazes (his animals) near the Hima (private pasture) of someone else and at any moment he is liable to get in it. (O people!) Beware! Every king has a Hima and the Hima of Allah on the earth is His illegal (forbidden) things. Beware! There is a piece of flesh in the body if it becomes good (reformed) the whole body becomes good but if it gets spoilt the whole body gets spoilt and that is the heart

[Sahih al-Bukhaari Hadith No. 52]

Better safe than sorry.

Serinity
04-10-2017, 09:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ZeeshanParvez
Until you find out just avoid it. Save your Diin. This world is but a few days.

Narrated An-Nu'man bin Bashir:

I heard Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) saying, 'Both legal and illegal things are evident but in between them there are doubtful (suspicious) things and most of the people have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from these suspicious things saves his religion and his honor. And whoever indulges in these suspicious things is like a shepherd who grazes (his animals) near the Hima (private pasture) of someone else and at any moment he is liable to get in it. (O people!) Beware! Every king has a Hima and the Hima of Allah on the earth is His illegal (forbidden) things. Beware! There is a piece of flesh in the body if it becomes good (reformed) the whole body becomes good but if it gets spoilt the whole body gets spoilt and that is the heart

[Sahih al-Bukhaari Hadith No. 52]

Better safe than sorry.
JazakAllah khayr for reminding me.

I totally forgot. I will avoid it, and save my deen. This means that everytime I am in doubt about an ingredient, I avoid it.

Allahu alam.

cinnamonrolls1
05-02-2017, 08:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
oreo's in the uk are suitable for vegetarians..

although neither halal nor kosher certified.

they are produced in Spain and the Czech Republic..

according to the website.

Ahahahahah good pun!!

M.I.A.
05-03-2017, 12:13 PM
..yeah.. lol..

You know me, sense of humour to cover up the pit of dispair that lies underneath.

..hhmm.. fresh orange and strawberry iced drink?

Im not a very convincing salesman to tell you the truth lol.

Attachment 6123

You know i once bought a guy lunch.. and he asked me what it does..

Im finally nutz enough to understand that.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.