/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is meditation is halal or haram???

joshi muhammad
04-05-2017, 06:37 PM
As Salam wa lekum wa rahmatullahi wabarakathuhu
Brothers and sisters.... I am a new Muslim.....
I need to know about MEDITION, is it halal or haram??????? Is there any hadiths of our beloved Muhammad pbuh about MEDITATION????????

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Scimitar
04-05-2017, 07:53 PM
Muslims are the Peoples of Deep Meditation.

We have the real thing, salaat.

Not this eastern mystic "empty your mind/Seek nirvana/seek to disconnect/stare at a wall for years/do not talk to people" nonsense.

I do not believe the Eastern Meditation as taught by the Chinese has any real benefit for the believer - we could have just as well spent our time better meditating on Allahs 99 names/attributes - which would ACTUALLY benefit.

Scimi

respecta
04-05-2017, 07:57 PM
Meditation can come in forms.

Sitting in the forest reflecting upon Allah's creation is a form of meditation
Reciting qur'an can be considered as a form of meditation
Dua ? Salah ? I guess these are all forms?

Zeal
04-05-2017, 10:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by joshi muhammad
As Salam wa lekum wa rahmatullahi wabarakathuhu
Brothers and sisters.... I am a new Muslim.....
I need to know about MEDITION, is it halal or haram??????? Is there any hadiths of our beloved Muhammad pbuh about MEDITATION????????
I don't see why you can't do it as a little hobby but just be careful not to imitate kuffar in the process. Plus, I hear weird things of people communicating with white "angelic" figures claiming to be angels but are actually jinn. This actually happened to a muslim when she was trying to open the third-eye but she knew about jinn, got scared off and never did it again or so that was what I was told and I never heard of her again since

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Scimitar
04-05-2017, 10:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by respecta
Meditation can come in forms.

Sitting in the forest reflecting upon Allah's creation is a form of meditation
No. It's not. That's reflection.

format_quote Originally Posted by respecta
Reciting qur'an can be considered as a form of meditation
Dua ? Salah ? I guess these are all forms?
Yes, and more... much more than just - menial meditation.

Scimi

beleiver
04-05-2017, 10:35 PM
Mohamed pbuh Meditated, didn't seem to do him any harm..Were would we be if he didnt?

A question i have been meaning to ask here is, where did Mohamed learn about meditation?

Way i see some forms of meditation, especially 'new age' when ignorant of God, its like turning on a radio, if your intent isnt on the God channel there are loads of other channels out there that will pollute your mind, Satan knows this too i am sure..Our minds are perhaps like a transmitter and receiver?

Scimitar
04-05-2017, 11:14 PM
He reflected.

meditation as a word is inadequate to describe what he pbuh did in the cave.

Meditation is to clear your mind, and forget - savvy?

Prophet pbuh did not do that.

He reflected, thought, pondered, wondered, he did not allow himself to just chill and stare at a wall. No. He was in deep thought - not empty of mind.

Scimi

Zeal
04-05-2017, 11:18 PM
Maybe not

beleiver
04-05-2017, 11:34 PM
Reflection, contemplation is all a part of meditating..Or should i say meditation is a part of reflection and contemplation, all supplements the other..I have found i couldn't get in deep thought with that clarity of mind where i could truly hear and be in control of that inner voice sans interruption, with out clearing my mind by meditating first..Most people that meditate i think miss the point , perhaps..

I am sure if I didn't meditate i would of never of found my belief in the one God..

If Mohamed didn't go to the cave to meditate what did he go there for?
Every book, film, article i have read about Mohamed said he regularly went to the cave to meditate..

Reminder
04-06-2017, 04:14 AM
When we say "Bismillah" before doing something, it is meditation.

azc
04-06-2017, 09:21 AM
:wa: welcome to islamicboard...

Simple_Person
04-06-2017, 12:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by beleiver
Reflection, contemplation is all a part of meditating..Or should i say meditation is a part of reflection and contemplation, all supplements the other..I have found i couldn't get in deep thought with that clarity of mind where i could truly hear and be in control of that inner voice sans interruption, with out clearing my mind by meditating first..Most people that meditate i think miss the point , perhaps..

I am sure if I didn't meditate i would of never of found my belief in the one God..

If Mohamed didn't go to the cave to meditate what did he go there for?
Every book, film, article i have read about Mohamed said he regularly went to the cave to meditate..
This "meditation" was before Islam and as another brother also said, it is being branded as meditation, but it was not meditation. Anyways, after he became the prophet and the prayer came, i heard from a lecture or read in a hadith that when he was in distress, he hurried to do prayer.

Sadly i couldn't get the exact reference where i found this.

This means, that when somebody is need of peace of mind, the prayer is the thing to hurry to do. In my own personal experience, i can confirm this also. The 6-8 minutes that i am in the prayer it is as if i have slept four couple of hours and if my head is empty of all the worries. However this only happens if i also concentrate during my prayer and "let go "(submit completely). This also is the moment when tasting imaan (faith).

When prayer is done..my body is all calm and rested, my mind is all calm. Nothing matters that was before such a huge thing, is now suddenly so insignificant.

Now is the question, well why did he went to that cave then? Often people search for way to go away from society. They FEEL AND UNDERSTAND this society is not how things should be. I would dare to say, their fitrah (human nature) is shouting out. So as a people of other faiths, you see often people for example doing yoga, go to places where only nature is heard and seen. Finally when you come to Islam, this is what the soul was yearning for.

"And I did not create the jinn and mankind except to worship Me." Qur'an 51:56

Canan
04-08-2017, 10:10 PM
the 5 prayer are meditation...

beleiver
04-08-2017, 11:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Simple_Person
This "meditation" was before Islam and as another brother also said, it is being branded as meditation, but it was not meditation. Anyways, after he became the prophet and the prayer came, i heard from a lecture or read in a hadith that when he was in distress, he hurried to do prayer.

Sadly i couldn't get the exact reference where i found this.

This means, that when somebody is need of peace of mind, the prayer is the thing to hurry to do. In my own personal experience, i can confirm this also. The 6-8 minutes that i am in the prayer it is as if i have slept four couple of hours and if my head is empty of all the worries. However this only happens if i also concentrate during my prayer and "let go "(submit completely). This also is the moment when tasting imaan (faith).

When prayer is done..my body is all calm and rested, my mind is all calm. Nothing matters that was before such a huge thing, is now suddenly so insignificant.

Now is the question, well why did he went to that cave then? Often people search for way to go away from society. They FEEL AND UNDERSTAND this society is not how things should be. I would dare to say, their fitrah (human nature) is shouting out. So as a people of other faiths, you see often people for example doing yoga, go to places where only nature is heard and seen. Finally when you come to Islam, this is what the soul was yearning for.

Meditation can mean a many things..I believe both meditation and Yoga originated as a form of prayer from Vedeic culture..Now a days it means something completely different to most people, it is practiced by atheists for example..

For me in my journey it did nothing until i put one God, our creator in the picture..When i did, i realized what i was doing was in fact praying..Single most life changing thing i ever did, in my mind when i meditate it is praying, and it works for me, i most certainly have received guidance, protection and mercy from God..And without doubt the path to Islam was opened.
My problem being it takes too long and i never get the quiet or the time to do it regular enough, when i have done, increasingly I keep getting signs and inspirations to pray/meditate more, its what brought me to the forum, to learn and try Islamic prayer...If i could achieve the same thing in ten mins like you say and it has the same effect then i am sure i could be a better more mindfull person and keep God closer to mind.
I was always skeptical and wary or repetitive, prayers and mantras, but now do understand as long as the intention is pure it cuts out a lot of the time trying to clear the mind of chatter so to hear ones inner voice loud and clear so to be heard by God..My experimenting with Islamic prayer so far is working wonders..

I have often wondered...Who were the Sabians mentioned in the Quran?
Mohamed lived a nomadic life, sure he would of come across Shiva worshipers/Hindu sects on his travels, could it be they were the Sabians and it was vedeic style Meditation he practiced?
I find it odd there is mystery and no common agreement as to who the Sabians were..Linguists i have read say the root of the word is connected to Shiva..

Its taken a while but after a closer study of Islamic prayer this makes sense..Answers so much of the great mystery.. why are we here..

Simple_Person
04-09-2017, 07:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by beleiver
Meditation can mean a many things..I believe both meditation and Yoga originated as a form of prayer from Vedeic culture..Now a days it means something completely different to most people, it is practiced by atheists for example..

For me in my journey it did nothing until i put one God, our creator in the picture..When i did, i realized what i was doing was in fact praying..Single most life changing thing i ever did, in my mind when i meditate it is praying, and it works for me, i most certainly have received guidance, protection and mercy from God..And without doubt the path to Islam was opened.
My problem being it takes too long and i never get the quiet or the time to do it regular enough, when i have done, increasingly I keep getting signs and inspirations to pray/meditate more, its what brought me to the forum, to learn and try Islamic prayer...If i could achieve the same thing in ten mins like you say and it has the same effect then i am sure i could be a better more mindfull person and keep God closer to mind.
I was always skeptical and wary or repetitive, prayers and mantras, but now do understand as long as the intention is pure it cuts out a lot of the time trying to clear the mind of chatter so to hear ones inner voice loud and clear so to be heard by God..My experimenting with Islamic prayer so far is working wonders..

I have often wondered...Who were the Sabians mentioned in the Quran?
Mohamed lived a nomadic life, sure he would of come across Shiva worshipers/Hindu sects on his travels, could it be they were the Sabians and it was vedeic style Meditation he practiced?
I find it odd there is mystery and no common agreement as to who the Sabians were..Linguists i have read say the root of the word is connected to Shiva..

Its taken a while but after a closer study of Islamic prayer this makes sense..Answers so much of the great mystery.. why are we here..
Through time people tend to invent their own things, for example if some expert says when you have eaten, don't eat anything shortly after. You have eaten, so let it be and let your stomach not grow larger. However some people would for example say, well eating a apple is healthy you know..and it contains 90% water, so lets eat also a apple after diner. So you see, they tend to twist things their own way and justify it according their own understanding, while what the expert said was clear as daylight. So yoga in it's original form could have been the prayer it self given to some messenger, but it could also not be that. So Allah knows best about it and right now it doesn't even matter as the prayer right now is given to the last messenger (pbuh).

What i sometimes find very mysterious in the way the Creator works miracles, is how He sometimes drags somebody through something very harmful to make him understand and acknowledge of a Creator. So for example somebody doesn't want to listen so Allah opens all doors as that individual wants so. In this case let's say heroine and other drugs. Allah opens the door to that..goes through this so called life of a addict and comes out the other side with understanding and wisdom and thus finds this purpose as this life is meaningless with the Creator. So somebody sometimes looking for the true religion and doing even shirk as having somewhere down the road worshiping some statues but come out the other side of knowing Islam is the truth. As He is the all forgiven the all merciful. This all amazes me a lot.

Sabians as far as i heard were the ones that worshiped still the one God. In other words, did not follow Judaism or Christianity, but the Abrahamic God aka One Creator.

Look at the prayer of Jews how similar it is. Sadly Christians somehow down the road has abolished this prayer all togther, while Jesus (as) in the Bible has said

"Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will." Matthew 26:39

So all in all, Islam takes out the corruptions from it and fulfills it to the original practice.

azc
04-22-2017, 04:02 AM
http://islamqa.org/hanafi/askimam/80399

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

Meditation is a rather broad term, which includes a variety of techniques and practices depending on its religious or traditional roots. It is used for a number of reasons ranging from disciplining ones inner self to being a mode of worship. Therefore, the word ‘meditation’ carries different meanings in different contexts.

Sharī’ah also supports meditation. It is referred to as Murāqabah in the Arabic language. It refers to inspection and introspection of one’s Nafs (inner self) with certain forms of silent dhikr in an attempt to bring the Nafs in line with the injunctions and commands of Allah. It is also used for other benefits, such as creating the consciousness of death, increasing ones concentration during ‘Ibādah, etc. However, it should be noted that Murāqabah itself and gaining solace and comfort from it is not the objective. The main objective is to create a bond with Allāh and discipline one’s inner self. The peace of mind, comfort, serenity, and solace one gains from Murāqabah are a bonus.

One should intend to gain the greater benefits when carrying out Murāqabah, and the smaller benefits will automatically be achieved. As Murāqabah includes Dhikr of Allāh and He states in the Qur’ān:

أَلَا بِذِكْرِ اللَّهِ تَطْمَئِنُّ الْقُلُوبُ

“Lo! In the remembrance of the name of Allāh do the hearts find peace”

therefore, through Murāqabah, one will certainly attain peace and comfort.

Generally, Muraqaba is carried out by clearing one’s thoughts of everything besides Allah. Thereafter, a person turns his spiritual gaze and attention completely and exclusively towards Allāh. He meditates upon the fact that Allāh is constantly watching every single move he makes and every thought that crosses his mind. Similarly, one can also focus his/her mind on death, the burial process and the questioning of the grave, etc.

Meditation that is linked to any religious or cultural group general contains acts, positions or chants that reflect that particular religion or culture. Such practices mostly contravene the laws of Shari’āh. Hence, any such type of meditation that reflects any aspect contrary to Sharī’ah or has links to another religion, such as yoga, will be impermissible in Sharī’ah. It is necessary to stick to the Islamic method of meditation. Another remedy that may help the sister is recitation of the Qur’ān. Allāh mentions in the Qur’ān:

وَنُنَزِّلُ مِنَ الْقُرْآنِ مَا هُوَ شِفَاءٌ وَرَحْمَةٌ لِلْمُؤْمِنِينَ

“We are revealing the Qur’ān which is a cure and mercy for the believers.”

We advise that the sister establish a spiritual connection with a Shaykh (spiritual mentor) and follow his guidance. We make du’ā Allāh grant her solace and peace and alleviate her anxiety.

And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best

ZeeshanParvez
04-22-2017, 12:24 PM
If it is devoid of any Shirk you can try it.

Sit with your eyes closed. Keep your mind empty. Every time it wanders bring it back.

Does it benefit? Allaah knows. Science says so. But science says many things which are untrue.

Scimitar
04-22-2017, 02:21 PM
Provide your proof this is mandated in Islam - or remain silent.

Muslims do not "imitate" the disbelievers.

That's MY proof, I can reference it an bury your idea,

But I'd like you to have a chance to prove your "blanket statement" first. lol

Scimi

space
08-28-2018, 04:24 PM
unless you're committing shirk

Aku
08-28-2018, 06:14 PM
I do meditation which is related to the circumambulation (Kaaba).

Ümit
08-29-2018, 06:00 AM
Dear brothers and sisters,

Before arguing about whether meditation is haraam or not...you first must agree on the definition of meditation.

If there are multiple definitions for it...then define them all and discuss which one is haraam and which one not.

arguing with each other about this using different definitions is useless.

Abz2000
08-29-2018, 08:51 PM
Meditation and clear thought are how people arrive at the truth.

The Prophet :saws: would go to cave Hira on the Mountain of light for the sake of meditation without distraction - and this is where he first encountered Gabriel :as: as an open bringer of instruction and received the first Quranic revelation.

Meditation does not mean having a blank mind though - since the mind is never blank. It is basically steering clear of banal thoughts and allowing what is most important to take priority.

Muhammad 47:24

أَفَلَا يَتَدَبَّرُونَ ٱلْقُرْءَانَ أَمْ عَلَىٰ قُلُوبٍ أَقْفَالُهَآ

English - Sahih International

Then do they not reflect upon the Qur'an, or are there locks upon [their] hearts?

English - Yusuf Ali

Do they not then earnestly seek to understand the Qur'an, or are their hearts locked up by them?

English - Pickthall

Will they then not meditate on the Qur'an, or are there locks on the hearts?

Al-Kahf 18:16

وَإِذِ ٱعْتَزَلْتُمُوهُمْ وَمَا يَعْبُدُونَ إِلَّا ٱللَّهَ فَأْوُۥٓا۟ إِلَى ٱلْكَهْفِ يَنشُرْ لَكُمْ رَبُّكُم مِّن رَّحْمَتِهِۦ وَيُهَيِّئْ لَكُم مِّنْ أَمْرِكُم مِّرْفَقًا

English - Yusuf Ali

"When ye turn away from them and the things they worship other than Allah, betake yourselves to the Cave: Your Lord will shower His mercies on you and disposes of your affair towards comfort and ease."

Yatadabbar means ponder.
Daabir means roots.
Yudabbir means arrange.
Adbar means to turn one's back (in this context voluntary seclusion)

All of them are related.

See also:

https://www.muftisays.com/blog/Seife...ttadabbur.html

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.