/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Advice : No dogs are allowed in Islam

Muslimah inshal
04-08-2017, 06:09 PM
ADVICE: No Dogs Allowed In Islam

It was narrated that Allah's Messenger Muhammad (SallAllahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said: "Angels (of Mercy) do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or a picture of a living creature (a human being or an animal)."

The example/similitude of Allah's Angels refusing to enter a house where there is a dog or where there are images of living beings hung on the wall is that of:

1)-A student who refuses to study with another student in their room because the latter keeps many pets in their room which the former student is allergic to:

"Thanks for the invite, but I'd rather study in so-and-so's room. See, she doesn't keep any pets, unlike you... your room is full of cats which I'm allergic to."

2)-A flight passenger who is invited to sit in the front seats which are empty but rejects the idea because they want to avoid looking at some people they very much dislike:

"I know they're empty, but I'd hate to sit near those people I so hate."

3)-A friend, who happens to be the leader/captain of her team, upon being invited by her teammates to play at a new sports club refuses because she hates to be anywhere near a certain someone whom she has no plans of befriending:

"You all know I love playing indoor soccer and tennis but as long as so-called 'MaryMoMo' is there I'm not going in there. I'd much rather read a mathematics book than be with miss artificial."

Angels are clean, perfect, pure, free of every sin. Dogs are unclean and impure.

Angels hate dogs. Angels and dogs don't ever get together.

If you want your homes to be blessed with the companionship of Allah and His Angels,

Then keep dogs out, and on walls don't hang any pictures of living beings.

In Islam:-Muslims are forbidden to keep dogs as pets. That doesn't mean that Muslims should mistreat dogs. Kindness to animals, in Islam, is a virtue -one of the good deeds that can insha-Allah please Allah.-Be merciful to those on earth and the One (Allah) in the Heavens will have mercy on you.

Allah knows best.-

Peace :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abdullah910
04-08-2017, 06:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah inshal
ADVICE: No Dogs Allowed In Islam

It was narrated that Allah's Messenger Muhammad (SallAllahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said: "Angels (of Mercy) do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or a picture of a living creature (a human being or an animal)."

The example/similitude of Allah's Angels refusing to enter a house where there is a dog or where there are images of living beings hung on the wall is that of:

1)-A student who refuses to study with another student in their room because the latter keeps many pets in their room which the former student is allergic to:

"Thanks for the invite, but I'd rather study in so-and-so's room. See, she doesn't keep any pets, unlike you... your room is full of cats which I'm allergic to."

2)-A flight passenger who is invited to sit in the front seats which are empty but rejects the idea because they want to avoid looking at some people they very much dislike:

"I know they're empty, but I'd hate to sit near those people I so hate."

3)-A friend, who happens to be the leader/captain of her team, upon being invited by her teammates to play at a new sports club refuses because she hates to be anywhere near a certain someone whom she has no plans of befriending:

"You all know I love playing indoor soccer and tennis but as long as so-called 'MaryMoMo' is there I'm not going in there. I'd much rather read a mathematics book than be with miss artificial."

Angels are clean, perfect, pure, free of every sin. Dogs are unclean and impure.

If you want your homes to be blessed with the companionship of Allah and His Angels,

Then keep dogs out, and on walls don't hang any pictures of living beings.

In Islam:-Muslims are forbidden to keep dogs as pets. That doesn't mean that Muslims should mistreat dogs. Kindness to animals, in Islam, is a virtue -one of the good deeds that can insha-Allah please Allah.-Be merciful to those on earth and the One (Allah) in the Heavens will have mercy on you.

Allah knows best.-

Peace :)
JazakAllahu khair ukhti

Muslimah inshal
04-08-2017, 08:12 PM
Wa iyyak !!

Bosanac
04-09-2017, 08:23 PM
Dogs are unclean and impure.
Which Hadith/verse is this from?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
M.I.A.
04-09-2017, 09:15 PM
the companions of the cave.. had a dog.. so it cant be all bad.

dogs are not used for hunting by the arabs are they? if they are then some other verses may allow for some leeway on the subject.

Muslimah inshal
04-10-2017, 08:17 AM
You can't have a dog as a pet inside your HOME . You can have one but for other reasons not as a pet .

Bosanac
04-11-2017, 05:13 AM
You can't have a dog as a pet inside your HOME . You can have one but for other reasons not as a pet .
What hadith/verse is this from?

As far as I know these are the only hadiths on the matter and they don't say we can't have dogs as pets.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog.” (Al-Bukhaari) and (Muslim). He also said: "Whoever keeps a dog, his good deeds will decrease every day by one qeeraat (a unit of measurement), unless it is a dog for farming or herding." In another report, it is said: "... unless it is a dog for herding sheep, farming or hunting." (Al-Bukhaari)

But none of these explicitly say you can't have a dog as a pet and inside your home. Yes, they do imply there are drawbacks to having dogs as pets inside the home but it isn't haram. For example: sure, one loses good deeds for keeping a dog, but are not the following good deeds as well: sheltering a living creature, feeding it, cleaning it, walking it, etc? Sounds to me like these hadiths (perhaps) are there as a precaution to make sure a dog owner doesn't mistreat dogs, because if they do then they will not only lose good deeds for owning said dogs, but for mistreating them too.

So as far as I can tell, having a dog as a pet isn't haram but it isn't encouraged either; you neither gain good deeds nor lose good deeds as long as you make sure to take care of it. :hmm:

Or is there a hadith out there explicitly stating that it is haram which I don't know about (genuine question)?

azc
04-11-2017, 05:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
the companions of the cave.. had a dog.. so it cant be all bad.dogs are not used for hunting by the arabs are they? if they are then some other verses may allow for some leeway on the subject.
the evidence from Quran pertaining to the dog of people of cave doesn't prove any leeway to halalfy keeping the dogs in homes. If such evidences are taken then bowing/prostration before the people will be justified in the light of story of Hz yusuf a.s.

Bosanac
04-11-2017, 01:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by azc
the evidence from Quran pertaining to the dog of people of cave doesn't prove any leeway to halalfy keeping the dogs in homes. If such evidences are taken then bowing/prostration before the people will be justified in the light of story of Hz yusuf a.s.
There are a bunch of hadiths that explicitly forbid bowing/prostration to other people such as:

Ibn Maajah (1853) and al-Bayhaqi (14711) narrated that ‘Abdullah ibn Abi Awfa said: When Mu‘aadh ibn Jabal came from Syria, he prostrated to the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him), who said, “What is this, O Mu‘aadh?” He said, I went to Syria and saw them prostrating to their archbishops and patriarchs, and I wanted to do that for you. The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said, “Do not do that. If I were to command anyone to prostrate to anyone other than Allah, I would have commanded women to prostrate to their husbands.

Is there a hadith or verse in the Quran explicitly forbidding keeping dogs as pets/in homes in the same manner as the above hadith?

Muhammad
04-11-2017, 01:58 PM
:salamext: brother,

Have a look at the following links, they mention the ruling of not keeping dogs as pets:
http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...twaId&Id=81421
https://islamqa.info/en/377
https://islamqa.info/en/69840
http://islamqa.org/hanafi/askimam/29448

And Allaah :swt: knows best.

Zeal
04-11-2017, 02:48 PM
I think you can according to the maliki madhab but you should check that

Bosanac
04-11-2017, 04:08 PM
Thank you for the links (assuming you meant to link them to me :embarrass), but yes I have already read through those pages before and I am not too convinced by them. Too much conjecture. Once again, the hadiths they quote do indeed discourage people from keeping dogs as pets, I am not disputing that, but they don't declare pet dogs as forbidden either.
Somewhat reminds me of Christians who claim Jesus is God and that he says so in the Bible yet can't produce a single verse where he explicitly and unequivocally makes this claim. ;)

Simple_Person
04-11-2017, 05:31 PM
This is also one of the reasons why i say Islam is the true religion. This day and age, iblies has put his warriors war and wide and is spreading corruption all over the place. He is doing exactly what the true religion objects. In this day and age, nobody has almost a farm, nobody is hunting anymore as in both cases dogs are allowed, however MANY MANY people have a dog as a pet in their house. So just look at the religion that says the opposite and you will end up with the true religion, as there are so many religions that for many people it is hard to find the true religion. However it isn't that hard, sheytan himself is showing it clearly by doing the opposite to the true religion.

Scimitar
04-11-2017, 05:35 PM
I love dogs.

Last week, I was walking a rottweiler and we wrestled in the park, was fun.

She's a guard dog, and she's in training. And she is loyal as they come. A very sweet and affectionate animal which recognizes the sensitivities of humans and gives us our space when we require it. Smart animals. Humans these days can learn a thing or two from that alone.

Scimi

Scimitar
04-11-2017, 05:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bosanac
Thank you for the links (assuming you meant to link them to me :embarrass), but yes I have already read through those pages before and I am not too convinced by them.
Then read them again.

Too much conjecture.
What conjecture? DOn't just make a blanket statement thinking we gonna believe you bro - PROVE IT - show me what you claim is "conjecture" and I will qualify it.

Once again, the hadiths they quote do indeed discourage people from keeping dogs as pets, I am not disputing that, but they don't declare pet dogs as forbidden either.
Forbidden from what? Consumption? Or matrimony? Or some other weird thing? Or all three?

As you can see - the word "forbidden" comes with qualifiers, SOOOOO, what do you mean "FORBIDDEN" ???? lol

Somewhat reminds me of Christians who claim Jesus is God and that he says so in the Bible yet can't produce a single verse where he explicitly and unequivocally makes this claim. ;)
:D

It would help if you clarified for us, exactly what you meant by the word "forbidden" ???

Do you mean:

a) as a pet in the home?
b) a piece of meat you can eat?
c) do you wish to marry it?
d) do you wish to enslave it?
e) do you wish to torture it?
f) do you wish to train it so it can be eyes for the blind?
g) do you wish to train it so it can be a guard dog for your property?
h) do you wish to train it so it can help you in hunting?

etc etc etc

Which of these does your contention of "forbidden" apply to? DO YOU EVEN KNOW?

Scimi

Muhammad
04-11-2017, 05:45 PM
Thank you for the links (assuming you meant to link them to me ), but yes I have already read through those pages before and I am not too convinced by them. Too much conjecture. Once again, the hadiths they quote do indeed discourage people from keeping dogs as pets, I am not disputing that, but they don't declare pet dogs as forbidden either.
Yes, those links were meant for you. : )

But brother, why would you keep an animal (without necessity) as a result of which the angels of mercy would not enter the house, and a huge portion of reward from your good deeds would be lost daily? Something that incurs so much reward to be lost is surely more than a discouragement?

This thread may also have some useful info: https://www.islamicboard.com/discove...9929-dogs.html

Bosanac
04-11-2017, 06:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
Then read them again.
I did, a bunch of times ;D. I visit that site often for clarifications on stuff, but I'm not going to blindly follow their rulings on stuff. I definitely hear them out and if what they say is backed up soundly by the Quran or hadiths I listen to them.

What conjecture? DOn't just make a blanket statement thinking we gonna believe you bro - PROVE IT - show me what you claim is "conjecture" and I will qualify it.
What blanket statement? The topic is about "no dogs allowed in Islam" and keeping them as pets not being allowed, is it not? That site then provides hadiths to support this view, yet none of the hadiths explicitly state these things. People are just making assumptions, at least that is what it sounds like to me and why I am not convinced by it. Not to mention that such actions are a slippery slope. Is it then not up to the topic creator (or anyone who also holds this view) to prove this claim? I am not trying to prove anything, I'm only sceptical about the claims brought up. I genuinely don't know much about the issue which is why I am asking for some more concrete evidence for things like:

Dogs are unclean and impure.

Is there a hadith or verse in Quran that explicitly and unequivocally states these things? That is all I'm asking about, I am not trying to prove anything to anyone. On the contrary, someone is trying to prove something to me and I am simply asking for some more concrete evidence.

Forbidden from what? Consumption? Or matrimony? Or some other weird thing? Or all three?

As you can see - the word "forbidden" comes with qualifiers, SOOOOO, what do you mean "FORBIDDEN" ???? lol

:D

It would help if you clarified for us, exactly what you meant by the word "forbidden" ???

Do you mean:

a) as a pet in the home?
b) a piece of meat you can eat?
c) do you wish to marry it?
d) do you wish to enslave it?
e) do you wish to torture it?
f) do you wish to train it so it can be eyes for the blind?
g) do you wish to train it so it can be a guard dog for your property?
h) do you wish to train it so it can help you in hunting?

etc etc etc

Which of these does your contention of "forbidden" apply to? DO YOU EVEN KNOW?

Scimi
^o)

The topic is about dogs not being allowed as pets nor are they allowed to be kept inside houses, right? Aka, forbidden from being kept as pets and forbidden from being kept inside houses. I don't understand where the confusion is coming from or why this needs to be clarified.

format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
Yes, those links were meant for you. : )

But brother, why would you keep an animal (without necessity) as a result of which the angels of mercy would not enter the house, and a huge portion of reward from your good deeds would be lost daily? Something that incurs so much reward to be lost is surely more than a discouragement?

This thread may also have some useful info: https://www.islamicboard.com/discove...9929-dogs.html

Oh I completely agree with you. I personally would not own a dog due to the hadiths provided. As for why someone would, I can only speculate. I know that psychologists recommend pet dogs for soldiers suffering from ptsd or depression. I know plenty of other people, some who are muslims as well, who get dogs for similar situations. That's one reason. They might have others, I really don't know. Why would they be ok with losing good deeds on a daily basis? Well it is possible that they get good deeds back by taking care of their dog, feeding it, walking it, cleaning it, etc. Those are all good deeds too. Perhaps they see it as "balancing things out."

azc
04-11-2017, 06:26 PM
There are a bunch of hadiths that explicitly forbid bowing/prostration to other people such as:Ibn Maajah (1853) and al-Bayhaqi (14711) narrated that ‘Abdullah ibn Abi Awfa said: When Mu‘aadh ibn Jabal came from Syria, he prostrated to the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him), who said, “What is this, O Mu‘aadh?” He said, I went to Syria and saw them prostrating to their archbishops and patriarchs, and I wanted to do that for you. The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said, “Do not do that. If I were to command anyone to prostrate to anyone other than Allah, I would have commanded women to prostrate to their husbands.Is there a hadith or verse in the Quran explicitly forbidding keeping dogs as pets/in homes in the same manner as the above hadith?
and keeping dogs in homes is also forbidden

Scimitar
04-11-2017, 06:29 PM

The topic is about dogs not being allowed as pets nor are they allowed to be kept inside houses, right? Aka, forbidden from being kept as pets and forbidden from being kept inside houses. I don't understand where the confusion is coming from or why this needs to be clarified.
Dogs should be kept in kennels, where they can go in and out as they please - not in houses, for reasons clearly identified in Islam - this is common knowledge.

So when you said "forbidden" I could not understand what you could mean, and gave you a list of options.

If your only contention was keeping them as pets inside of houses then lol, bro, stop wasting your time on forums and read about it. Dogs are not haraam - their saliva is impure and we are advised to keep them outside of our homes if we are to have them.

It's simple.

You savvy?

Scimi

Muslimah inshal
04-12-2017, 10:36 AM
Ive heard that Science says that 80% of women have cancer because of keeping dogs inside the house .

piXie
04-12-2017, 11:57 AM
Oh I completely agree with you. I personally would not own a dog due to the hadiths provided. As for why someone would, I can only speculate. I know that psychologists recommend pet dogs for soldiers suffering from ptsd or depression. I know plenty of other people, some who are muslims as well, who get dogs for similar situations. That's one reason. They might have others, I really don't know. Why would they be ok with losing good deeds on a daily basis? Well it is possible that they get good deeds back by taking care of their dog, feeding it, walking it, cleaning it, etc. Those are all good deeds too. Perhaps they see it as "balancing things out."
What is there to speculate. The sad reality is that most people r ignorant n not too concerned about their good deeds or the Angel of mercy entering their house. However, if it were financial losses they were suffering, they might be more concerned about 'balancing things out'.

Besides, a person can look after a Dog and feed, walk it etc. without allowing it inside the house.

praisetoallah
04-12-2017, 04:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by piXie
What is there to speculate. The sad reality is that most people r ignorant n not too concerned about their good deeds or the Angel of mercy entering their house. However, if it were financial losses they were suffering, they might be more concerned about 'balancing things out'.

Besides, a person can look after a Dog and feed, walk it etc. without allowing it inside the house.
Why would Allah not want us to have dogs in our home. They are kind and loving creatures who have proven time and again that they love us unconditionally and have protected us and our children. Why would Allah forsake such creatures

piXie
04-12-2017, 07:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by praisetoallah
Why would Allah not want us to have dogs in our home. They are kind and loving creatures who have proven time and again that they love us unconditionally and have protected us and our children. Why would Allah forsake such creatures
Following Allahs commands and the sunnah of the Prophet :saws1: is what protects us and our children. Allah has not forsaken any of his creatures, rather it is us who have forsaken His legislations and the way of our Prophet :saws1:

A dog may bring unconditional love but it also brings unconditional germs. A dog may protect us in this life, but it is our good deeds which will protect us in the next. Why do we accept a decrease in our hardy earned good deeds?

We ask Allah why He doesn't want us to have dogs in our homes, perhaps we should ask ourselves why we don't want the Angel of Mercy in ours!

Umm♥Layth
04-12-2017, 11:06 PM
Well, pigs are also very sweet creatures if you've ever gotten to know one. They serve a wonderful purpose and are a great addition to any farm for those reasons. Howcome we can't keep those cute little micro pigs in the house? They do no harm, they bond with humans wonderfully and they are great with kids! :D see?

We can't keep dogs in the house because they and their saliva are considered impure. Allah did not forsake them in any way, but animals have their place and humans have their place.

This is what happens when a dog licks even a small crack on a human's lip. Dogs are very similar to pigs in that they eat and lick EVERYTHING, including poop. +o( This is just to illustrate the uncleanliness of their saliva. Dogs also have a smell that never goes away, no matter how much you bathe them. It comes from the oil on their skin. Every house with a dog smells this way, and it is not pleasant.

Just because we can't keep them in the house doesn't mean we can't love them and take care of them.

Muslimah inshal
04-13-2017, 07:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm♥Layth
Well, pigs are also very sweet creatures if you've ever gotten to know one. They serve a wonderful purpose and are a great addition to any farm for those reasons. Howcome we can't keep those cute little micro pigs in the house? They do no harm, they bond with humans wonderfully and they are great with kids! :D see?

We can't keep dogs in the house because they and their saliva are considered impure. Allah did not forsake them in any way, but animals have their place and humans have their place.

This is what happens when a dog licks even a small crack on a human's lip. Dogs are very similar to pigs in that they eat and lick EVERYTHING, including poop. +o( This is just to illustrate the uncleanliness of their saliva. Dogs also have a smell that never goes away, no matter how much you bathe them. It comes from the oil on their skin. Every house with a dog smells this way, and it is not pleasant.

Just because we can't keep them in the house doesn't mean we can't love them and take care of them.
Jazaki Allahu Khairan sister for the explanation Good one [emoji108]

Muslimah inshal
04-13-2017, 07:57 AM
Allah will never forbide something that it's good for us . Everything Allah gave us is good .
So it's better to obey what Allah commands us to do and if we don't then you disobeyed Him.
May Allah make us among those that do what HE commanded us . Amiin ya rab Al 'alamiin

Zeal
04-13-2017, 08:23 AM

Subhanallah, that pic of the woman kissing the dog and then the effects of that scared me

Abdullah9100
04-18-2017, 01:36 AM
Why do you post pictures of women?

Do you want us to commit zina of the eyes?

Simple_Person
04-18-2017, 06:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullah9100

To be honest seeing that dog lick her face and right next to it a disgusting messed up lip brought me nowhere zina..it rather was a kick in my face and shocked with terror. The LAST thing that went through my mind was zina. It is like a woman seeing sitting next to huge pile of human or dog feces. The last thing that would go through my mind is zina and with that I lose all my appetite as well. However I guess there are people who are not bothered by seeing disgusted things.

Sarahx
04-19-2017, 11:28 PM
Well I own a doggie...He protects me, but that's its natural instict anyway. He lives on my screened (covered) porch connected to mah house, he doesnt come inside unless its for emergencys :p Im glad allah made dogs ❤️ Mans best friend and helper in so many things!

Umm♥Layth
04-19-2017, 11:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullah9100

I guess you don't go outside either? lol Do you drive looking at the road or your gas pedal? You are supposed to control yourself and your urges. Lowering the gaze means DO NOT STARE, it doesn't mean you have to live under a rock. I don't know how good your peripheral vision is, but I can see clearly around me, even when I happen to be looking at my feet. If shirtless man passes by me, I know he is shirtless without staring. That isn't Zina of the eyes by any means. Besides, I don't know how any feelings of arousal can come from a photo with a dog in it and lips filled with infected pus. :o Different strokes for different folks I guess. Get married?

Some people ^o)

Umm♥Layth
04-19-2017, 11:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sarahx
Well I own a doggie...He protects me, but that's its natural instict anyway. He lives on my screened (covered) porch connected to mah house, he doesnt come inside unless its for emergencys :p Im glad allah made dogs ❤️ Mans best friend and helper in so many things!
I hope you read the full thread sis :) Nobody is saying you can't own a dog, but they shouldn't live inside is all.

Sarahx
04-20-2017, 12:24 AM
I hope you read the full thread sis :) Nobody is saying you can't own a dog, but they shouldn't live inside is all.

Yes I understand ❤️ I made a great area fit for a animal like that, outside on my screened porch :) i make sure to wash up really well after too!

Bobbyflay23
04-20-2017, 01:19 AM
Who said it can be your pet but can't be in your house and u need to clean yourself after it licks you

Simple_Person
04-20-2017, 06:23 AM
I guess you don't go outside either? lol Do you drive looking at the road or your gas pedal? You are supposed to control yourself and your urges. Lowering the gaze means DO NOT STARE, it doesn't mean you have to live under a rock. I don't know how good your peripheral vision is, but I can see clearly around me, even when I happen to be looking at my feet. If shirtless man passes by me, I know he is shirtless without staring. That isn't Zina of the eyes by any means. Besides, I don't know how any feelings of arousal can come from a photo with a dog in it and lips filled with infected pus. :o Different strokes for different folks I guess. Get married?

Some people ^o)
For the people who say I did not look or I am not starring. Allah says directly after lowering the gaze.."guard their private parts"..to me this also looks like of when you have looked away you also not thinking about what you have seen. More like..you see a man/woman look away AND do not analyze in your mind what you have seen in that second. So even having seen somebody but looking away but in your mind analyzing what you have seen and "enjoying" that 1 second in your mind isn't really guarding your private parts as you will still get all turned on.

azc
04-20-2017, 06:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zeal
Subhanallah, that pic of the woman kissing the dog and then the effects of that scared me
i never keep dogs in/out my homes. People may have their own reasons to keep them though but I've no reason.

azc
04-20-2017, 06:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by praisetoallah
we have no right to ask this Q. Allah swt knows what is good or bad for us.

Umm♥Layth
04-20-2017, 10:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Simple_Person
For the people who say I did not look or I am not starring. Allah says directly after lowering the gaze.."guard their private parts"..to me this also looks like of when you have looked away you also not thinking about what you have seen. More like..you see a man/woman look away AND do not analyze in your mind what you have seen in that second. So even having seen somebody but looking away but in your mind analyzing what you have seen and "enjoying" that 1 second in your mind isn't really guarding your private parts as you will still get all turned on.
Yes, exactly. It is called, taking responsibility :)

M.I.A.
04-20-2017, 01:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by azc
Do you mean quran:12?

Because a wolf and a dog are a little differing in temperament.

Its a beautiful story though. Allah swt give us patience and protect us from the evil of our own selves.

noraina
04-20-2017, 04:37 PM
This issue isn't too difficult to understand once you conduct some research into it - coming into close contact with dogs (especially their saliva) can cause a host of problems. However, even if we didn't quiet 'get' why there are restrictions on keeping dogs in one's home, all we need to look at is the evidence given in the hadiths and understand that every decree of Allah swt is filled with wisdom and justice.

If Allah swt does not permit something, there's a very good reason for it.

And there's no reason to take this as somehow discriminating against dogs or that we 'hate' them, they are as deserving as compassion as anything else - Islam has certain guidelines concerning them, as it does with every part of our lives alhamdulillah.

I quite like dogs, but I wouldn't keep one unless there was an extremely good reason. But I'm more of a cat person anyway - those ragdoll cats are just *beautiful*.

azc
04-20-2017, 04:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
Do you mean quran:12? Because a wolf and a dog are a little differing in temperament. Its a beautiful story though. Allah swt give us patience and protect us from the evil of our own selves.
it refers to prostration before Hz Yusuf a.s by his own brothers

Scimitar
04-20-2017, 06:08 PM
I've changed my mind about wanting a dog.

They do smell disgusting.

Scimi

Simple_Person
04-20-2017, 08:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
This issue isn't too difficult to understand once you conduct some research into it - coming into close contact with dogs (especially their saliva) can cause a host of problems. However, even if we didn't quiet 'get' why there are restrictions on keeping dogs in one's home, all we need to look at is the evidence given in the hadiths and understand that every decree of Allah swt is filled with wisdom and justice.

If Allah swt does not permit something, there's a very good reason for it.

And there's no reason to take this as somehow discriminating against dogs or that we 'hate' them, they are as deserving as compassion as anything else - Islam has certain guidelines concerning them, as it does with every part of our lives alhamdulillah.

I quite like dogs, but I wouldn't keep one unless there was an extremely good reason. But I'm more of a cat person anyway - those ragdoll cats are just *beautiful*.
The person who loves animals, doesn't have any pets. Why? Because the individual is aware of not being able to fully give the animal all the rights it has upon you. When i was a student i had a female student also living under one roof she had a cat. I still remember how the cat was making noise to let her out. I felt so sorry that during cooking i also now and then gave food and water to the cat. People now a days are selfish and have a pet because THEY themselves are lonely not because they care about the animal. Allah is just and one may not be surprised if this will also be used against him/her on the Day of Judgement.

Umm♥Layth
04-20-2017, 08:27 PM
The person who loves animals, doesn't have any pets. Why? Because the individual is aware of not being able to fully give the animal all the rights it has upon you. When i was a student i had a female student also living under one roof she had a cat. I still remember how the cat was making noise to let her out. I felt so sorry that during cooking i also now and then gave food and water to the cat. People now a days are selfish and have a pet because THEY themselves are lonely not because they care about the animal. Allah is just and one may not be surprised if this will also be used against him/her on the Day of Judgement.
You hit the nail on the head. It took a couple of years of my husband trying to help me understand this until I came to terms with it. Cats love to climb and catch prey. Every animal has a purpose and having a pet stuck indoors is like caging a bird. Selfish. I feel so sad for my old cat (he's almost 14!) and I don't think I can make things up to him. The last couple of years he's enjoyed lots of time outside and has caught many critters and seems very happy, Alhamdullilah.

The real problem of *needing* a pet should be addressed really. Most pet owners are lonely people, women with no kids, couples with no kids, elderly folks who have been abandoned by their children and in most cases a weak or non existent relationship with Allah. I find that interesting.

Simple_Person
04-20-2017, 08:41 PM
You hit the nail on the head. It took a couple of years of my husband trying to help me understand this until I came to terms with it. Cats love to climb and catch prey. Every animal has a purpose and having a pet stuck indoors is like caging a bird. Selfish. I feel so sad for my old cat (he's almost 14!) and I don't think I can make things up to him. The last couple of years he's enjoyed lots of time outside and has caught many critters and seems very happy, Alhamdullilah.

The real problem of *needing* a pet should be addressed really. Most pet owners are lonely people, women with no kids, couples with no kids, elderly folks who have been abandoned by their children and in most cases a weak or non existent relationship with Allah. I find that interesting.
I find this rather amusing. In the summer especially when the days are long and around 05:00 o'clock sun rising and me on my bike coming back from fajr-prayer seeing people out of bed walking with their dogs outside...and they call me a lunatic for waking up that early to go and pray fajr at the masjid..these people wake up every day for their dog to walk outside but not having time for their Rab. Look what sheytan has achieved with them. May Allah protect us from his evil plans.

noraina
04-20-2017, 08:51 PM
Exactly brother, you are absolutely right subhanAllah - this is why I don't have a cat, even though I absolutely adore them. Right now I wouldn't be able to give a cat the time and commitment it would need, so I'm going to wait it out until I can actually keep a cat which is happy and fulfilled. When we take an animal away from it's natural environment, and we fail to replace properly what it naturally has rights to, I'd hate to think what we would say when we answer to Allah swt on the day of Judgement.

Right now I just have chickens and some fish - sometimes when I am holding one of my hens I just look into her eyes and wonder if she's happy with me, what she would say if she could actually speak. It really is such a *huge* responsibility subhanAllah, which at times we fail to realise.

btw, @UmmLayth....I'm certain your cat has had a wonderful life with such a sweet sister as you :).

islamocurious
04-21-2017, 12:46 PM
Allah will never forbide something that it's good for us . Everything Allah gave us is good .
So it's better to obey what Allah commands us to do and if we don't then you disobeyed Him.
May Allah make us among those that do what HE commanded us . Amiin ya rab Al 'alamiin
Dogs help humans, for eg. Guide dogs for the blind, therapy dogs for those suffering ptsd, guard dogs, drug detecting at airports, etc. if God made dogs so that they can help us in so many ways, why would God forbid then from the home where they are of the greatest assistance for those in need, eg p, the blind? So, can you clarify your position? Does Allah for it what I've stated above or not?

Sarahx
04-24-2017, 12:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
I've changed my mind about wanting a dog.

They do smell disgusting.

Scimi
Um. That's why you wash them, and keep them clean. Just as you would with a cat or a baby.

Muslimah inshal
04-24-2017, 01:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamocurious
Dogs help humans, for eg. Guide dogs for the blind, therapy dogs for those suffering ptsd, guard dogs, drug detecting at airports, etc. if God made dogs so that they can help us in so many ways, why would God forbid then from the home where they are of the greatest assistance for those in need, eg p, the blind? So, can you clarify your position? Does Allah for it what I've stated above or not?
Sorry if I didn't explain myself cause sometimes it's difficult for me to do so .
I mean that for example you can have a dog if you are blind or you need it like a guard dog or drug detecting ... but the thing is that you can't keep a dog INSIDE your home ( I'm the case of a cat , yes but a dog no ) . Like he can't sleep in your room or whatever it is the case . You can have it but outside your home .

Scimitar
04-24-2017, 07:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sarahx
Um. That's why you wash them, and keep them clean. Just as you would with a cat or a baby.
You can't make that smell go away, it lingers because it's caused by oils under the layer of skin, so no amount of washing is gonna help - research it! I already have ;)

Scimi

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.