/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassed to act muslim

Bobbyflay23
04-10-2017, 06:58 PM
So I try to be a Muslim but I don't push my religion in people's faces and like I'm currently doing a project in class and it's to research someone and I choose Muhammed sali Ali wassalm is it haram for me to feel embarrassed to show that I'm Muslim to people because honestly I don't want my entire class to know because everybody used to call me a terrorist and stuff and younger people in highschool usually think religion is dumb so like I only let my teacher know but is it okay for me to feel like embarrassed to tell people I'm Muslim I tell people anyways whenever they'll ask me why arnt you doing this and I'll say it's against my religion so it's not like I hide it it's just somtimes when they'll find out they'll like laugh a little or somthing and inside me I'll feel a little embarrassed or even if they don't show a reaction but I feel In my brain that they don't like me anymore I'm still strict with my religion and I feel fine to tell my friends it's just people that arnt my friends I get a little embarrassed to whenever like I tell them I'm a Muslim

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslimah inshal
04-10-2017, 08:01 PM
Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatu allahi wa barakatuhu !
Praise be to Allah swt

Brother don't worry about what they say . Just think that you are the best among them and that you believe in the truth .
Just think about this hadith :

This hadeeth was narrated by Muslim (145) from Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) who said: The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “Islam began as something strange and will revert to being strange as it began, so give glad tidings to the strangers.”

Bosanac
04-11-2017, 04:30 AM
Sounds like a crummy high school.

Sho Islam
04-11-2017, 10:38 AM
Brother I can completely relate to you because when I was younger I too had the same feelings of embarrassment of my religion.

I think what helped me was reading more about Islam in general and not only that but even reading about how to answer difficult questions that non Muslims may ask us.

That has helped me to grow in confidence that I am on the correct path.

May Allah keep you and all of us strong in practising Islam.

Ameen

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslimah inshal
04-11-2017, 10:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sho Islam
Brother I can completely relate to you because when I was younger I too had the same feelings of embarrassment of my religion.

I think what helped me was reading more about Islam in general and not only that but even reading about how to answer difficult questions that non Muslims may ask us.

That has helped me to grow in confidence that I am on the correct path.

May Allah keep you and all of us strong in practising Islam.

Ameen
Amiin ya rab Al 'alamiin !!

Scimitar
04-11-2017, 11:22 AM
There is nothing in this world more honourable than being a believer in 1 God and HIS prophet Muhammad pbuh. If that embarrasses you, then you don't know Islam.

Scimi

Muhammad
04-11-2017, 01:29 PM
:wasalamex Brother,

One of the things we must learn as Muslims is to have self-respect and confidence in who we are. With all of the Islamophobia, negative attention and stereotyping, it becomes easy to fall victim to an inferiority complex. I noticed you mentioned past experiences or what you assume people will think of you. There is a fear of being negatively evaluated. But these fears are not necessarily true. Not everyone thinks religion is dumb. Not everyone will laugh or dislike you. It's easy to dwell on the negatives, and that is what you have to change. The first step is to feel at ease in your heart and accept yourself. Don't worry about being accepted or judged by others. If someone doesn't like you anymore because you're a Muslim, that is their loss and you should not feel disheartened. After all, the kind of company you need to keep is that which will encourage you to do good, not which will push you away from Islam or constantly make you feel like you have to justify yourself. Understand that religion is something important to you, even if it means nothing to those around you. Know the honour in being a Muslim, even if others are ignorant. Don't feel that you need to hide or change who you are, just because of what others will think. Remember, our goal is to please our Creator, not the creation.

Confidence is something we may have to continually work on but the sooner we become firm in our resolve, the better, because this issue crops up in so many places. For example, a Muslim must not allow the fear of people to stop them from keeping a beard or wearing the Hijab. A Muslim must have the resolve to refuse when invited to take part in unIslamic gatherings, celebrations or activities. We all have different levels of confidence and therefore may have different issues to work on, but at a basic level, we should not feel the need to hide or change our identity.

Some things we can do to help ourselves are: making du'a to Allaah :swt: to grant us strength and steadfastness. We should also try to read more Qur'an with understanding because a number of stories and passages are a comfort and encouragement for the believers;

And all that We relate to you of the news of the Messengers is in order that We may make strong and firm your heart thereby. And in this has come to you the truth, as well as an admonition and a reminder for the believers. [Hud: 120]

Reading the Seerah of the Prophet :saws: and his Companions would also be useful, because there are numerous examples of how the Muslims dealt with mockery and mistreatment. Especially during the early Makkan period when the Muslims were few in number, the way in which they persevered despite the cruelty of the Quraysh is a big lesson. The following article provides some further points and examples: https://www.islam21c.com/islamic-tho...slim-be-proud/

Ensuring that the people you befriend are good people who remind you of Allaah :swt: and keeping company with the righteous will also help :ia:.

:ia: with time you will become a stronger person. May Allaah :swt: strengthen us all, keep us steadfast and help us to rectify our errors, Aameen.

aaj
04-11-2017, 01:32 PM
When i was in high school, i did a report on Islam in one of my classes. I got an A on it. I gave it to few of my other teachers to read. It's a good opportunity to give dawah.

And being a Muslim is something to be proud of, not embarrassed. Tell others you're a Muslim and use the opportunity to give them dawah.

Muslimah inshal
04-11-2017, 04:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad

One of the things we must learn as Muslims is to have self-respect and confidence in who we are. With all of the Islamophobia, negative attention and stereotyping, it becomes easy to fall victim to an inferiority complex. I noticed you mentioned past experiences or what you assume people will think of you. There is a fear of being negatively evaluated. But these fears are not necessarily true. Not everyone thinks religion is dumb. Not everyone will laugh or dislike you. It's easy to dwell on the negatives, and that is what you have to change. The first step is to feel at ease in your heart and accept yourself. Don't worry about being accepted or judged by others. If someone doesn't like you anymore because you're a Muslim, that is their loss and you should not feel disheartened. After all, the kind of company you need to keep is that which will encourage you to do good, not which will push you away from Islam or constantly make you feel like you have to justify yourself. Understand that religion is something important to you, even if it means nothing to those around you. Know the honour in being a Muslim, even if others are ignorant. Don't feel that you need to hide or change who you are, just because of what others will think. Remember, our goal is to please our Creator, not the creation.

Confidence is something we may have to continually work on but the sooner we become firm in our resolve, the better, because this issue crops up in so many places. For example, a Muslim must not allow the fear of people to stop them from keeping a beard or wearing the Hijab. A Muslim must have the resolve to refuse when invited to take part in unIslamic gatherings, celebrations or activities. We all have different levels of confidence and therefore may have different issues to work on, but at a basic level, we should not feel the need to hide or change our identity.

Some things we can do to help ourselves are: making du'a to Allaah :swt: to grant us strength and steadfastness. We should also try to read more Qur'an with understanding because a number of stories and passages are a comfort and encouragement for the believers;

And all that We relate to you of the news of the Messengers is in order that We may make strong and firm your heart thereby. And in this has come to you the truth, as well as an admonition and a reminder for the believers. [Hud: 120]

Reading the Seerah of the Prophet :saws: and his Companions would also be useful, because there are numerous examples of how the Muslims dealt with mockery and mistreatment. Especially during the early Makkan period when the Muslims were few in number, the way in which they persevered despite the cruelty of the Quraysh is a big lesson. The following article provides some further points and examples: https://www.islam21c.com/islamic-tho...slim-be-proud/

Ensuring that the people you befriend are good people who remind you of Allaah :swt: and keeping company with the righteous will also help :ia:.

:ia: with time you will become a stronger person. May Allaah :swt: strengthen us all, keep us steadfast and help us to rectify our errors, Aameen.
Jazakumu Allahu Khairan ! Good advice !!
format_quote Originally Posted by aaj
When i was in high school, i did a report on Islam in one of the my classes. I got an A on it. I also gave it to few of my other teachers to read. It's a good opportunity to give dawah.

And being a Muslim is something to be proud of not embarrassed. Tell others you're a Muslim and use the opportunity give them dawah.

HammyGurl_xx
04-13-2017, 01:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah inshal
Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatu allahi wa barakatuhu !
Praise be to Allah swt

Brother don't worry about what they say . Just think that you are the best among them and that you believe in the truth .
Just think about this hadith :

This hadeeth was narrated by Muslim (145) from Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) who said: The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “Islam began as something strange and will revert to being strange as it began, so give glad tidings to the strangers.”
If you think you are the 'best among them' isn't that being proud because you think your better than everyone else?

Muslimah inshal
04-13-2017, 03:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HammyGurl_xx
If you think you are the 'best among them' isn't that being proud because you think your better than everyone else?
Sorry sometimes my English is not that good . I mean like one should be HAPPY being Muslim .

noraina
04-13-2017, 03:13 PM
Assalamu alaykum,

Be proud of who you are and your identity. Especially as a Muslim, you should feel immensely proud and also grateful that Allah swt has blessed you with this beautiful religion at such a young age.

Read more about Islam, particularly the biography of our Prophet :saws: and other important figures, I found that there are so many inspiring and wonderful figures to look up to and feel proud of, and strive to follow in their footsteps.

Particularly in secondary schools, it can be hard to build up our self-confidence and self-esteem - but once you have it, it is the most empowering thing you can possess. People are really fickle, their judgements and opinions will change at the drop of a hat - do you think it is possible to cater all the time to how they want you to be? It is exhausting and practically impossible. When you stop trying to be how others want you to be, you can start focusing on becoming the person you want *you* to be.

I've never considered a difference of religion or opinion to be a reason to withdraw from someone or make them feel bad, so if anyone does that to you they probably aren't company you want to associate with anyway.

azc
04-13-2017, 06:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bobbyflay23
So I try to be a Muslim but I don't push my religion in people's faces and like I'm currently doing a project in class and it's to research someone and I choose Muhammed sali Ali wassalm is it haram for me to feel embarrassed to show that I'm Muslim to people because honestly I don't want my entire class to know because everybody used to call me a terrorist and stuff and younger people in highschool usually think religion is dumb so like I only let my teacher know but is it okay for me to feel like embarrassed to tell people I'm Muslim I tell people anyways whenever they'll ask me why arnt you doing this and I'll say it's against my religion so it's not like I hide it it's just somtimes when they'll find out they'll like laugh a little or somthing and inside me I'll feel a little embarrassed or even if they don't show a reaction but I feel In my brain that they don't like me anymore I'm still strict with my religion and I feel fine to tell my friends it's just people that arnt my friends I get a little embarrassed to whenever like I tell them I'm a Muslim
Us being Muslims are very lucky. Iman is the most precious gift. It appears that you are a good Muslim

Bobbyflay23
04-14-2017, 12:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
There is nothing in this world more honourable than being a believer in 1 God and HIS prophet Muhammad pbuh. If that embarrasses you, then you don't know Islam.

Scimi
I don't mind telling people I'm a Muslim anymore but when doing a project in class about the prophet (saw) and u used to get called a terrorist 24/7 and sand n****r and when people laugh a little or exchange looks by simply finding out your fasting then I prefer to hide it espically sense being religous in today's time is looked at as being too strict or extreme

Bobbyflay23
04-14-2017, 12:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad

As I said i don't really worry about if my friend leaves me over islam because then they're fake and I don't mind people knowing it's just I like to avoid getting made fun of for being Muslim and say when the Adan goes on from my phone and I forget to put it on silent then I get embarrassed because then like someone will start mocking and laugh really loud (this literally happened like a day or two ago) I don't really care if my friends hear the Adan and things like that but when it's normal people who arnt your friend it kinda embarrasses me not as much as it used to tho like I get allot less embarrassed but I just wanted to know if it's haram to have feelings of embarassment when say somthing happens around a non Muslim and they arnt your friend because I get embarrassed somtimes not like all the time but just like somtimes usually people don't care after a day but when they first realize your like religious they'll laugh a bit and make fun of you with there friends even if your not Muslim they'll do it like this one aethist girl was getting mad at my friend for simply being a Christian

azc
04-14-2017, 04:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bobbyflay23
As I said i don't really worry about if my friend leaves me over islam because then they're fake and I don't mind people knowing it's just I like to avoid getting made fun of for being Muslim and say when the Adan goes on from my phone and I forget to put it on silent then I get embarrassed because then like someone will start mocking and laugh really loud (this literally happened like a day or two ago) I don't really care if my friends hear the Adan and things like that but when it's normal people who arnt your friend it kinda embarrasses me not as much as it used to tho like I get allot less embarrassed but I just wanted to know if it's haram to have feelings of embarassment when say somthing happens around a non Muslim and they arnt your friend because I get embarrassed somtimes not like all the time but just like somtimes usually people don't care after a day but when they first realize your like religious they'll laugh a bit and make fun of you with there friends even if your not Muslim they'll do it like this one aethist girl was getting mad at my friend for simply being a Christian
change the ring tone if your friends laugh at it. Do you give them dawah..?

Bobbyflay23
04-14-2017, 04:40 AM
I've given dawah to one friend but he still commits zina and does drugs and I gave him a Quran and stuff and yea like I can tell he likes Islam he's actually said he might quit smoking weed soon but he never did so far and zina he said he'd stop without me telling him to stop just by me saying I think it's dumb but he did it again soo yea also there's this one friend I have where I can just tell by his questions that he believes I showed him a bunch of proof and stuff but then eventually he was like no matter what you tell me I'm not gonna believe in god idk I give dawah to friends but not strangers I've only had one successful dawah although I've called my cuzin back to the religon and he's been more religous now

Bobbyflay23
04-14-2017, 06:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by azc
change the ring tone if your friends laugh at it. Do you give them dawah..?
Oh yea forgot to quote you in the post

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.