/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The status of the turban

azc
05-01-2017, 10:35 AM
One must affirm that there can be absolutely no doubt in the fact that each and every Sunnah of our beloved Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam is considered supreme and well worthy of emulation by a true believer and follower of his esteemed lifestyle. In fact a true lover of the Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam would be prepared to give his life for the practical preservation of even one Sunnah. A true [member of the Ummah] of the Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam is one who endeavors to emulate every Sunnah, whether it is connected to the Ibaadah (worship) of the Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam or his habit or lifestyle (the manner of his eating, walking, dressing, etc.).

Concerning the turban, Shaykh al-Hadith Mawlana Muhammad Zakariyya al-Kandhlawi has written in Khasa’il-e-Nabawi (commentary of Shama’il Tirmidhi):

“The tying of the turban is a Sunnah Mustamirrah (a practice perpetually adhered to by the Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam). The Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam has enjoined the tying of the turban upon us. It has been reported, ‘Tie the turban. It will increase you in forbearance.'” (Fath al-Bari)

It is also reported that somebody enquired from Hadhrat Abdullah Ibn Umar (R) whether the tying of the turban was a Sunnah or not. He replied in the affirmative.

It is reported in one hadith that the Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam said, “Wear the turban as it is a sign of Islam and it distinguishes between a Muslim and a Kafir.” (`Aynee)

Hadiths Pertaining to the Turban

Hadhrat Huraith (R) reports that the Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam addressed the people while wearing a black turban. (Sahih Muslim, Vol.1 p.439)

In another narration it is reported: “I saw the Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam wearing a black turban.” (Shama’il Tirmidhi p.8)

Hadhrat Jabir (R) reports that on the occasion of the conquest of Makkah, the Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam entered Makkah Mukarramah while wearing a black turban. (Sahih Muslim, Vol.1 p.439)

Hadhrat Ibn Abbas (R) reports that during the illness just prior to his passing away, the Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam addressed the Sahabah (R) while wearing a black turban. (Sahih Bukhari, Vol.1 p.536)

Hadhrat Anas (R) reports: “I saw the Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam performing Wudu. He had on a Qitri turban…” (Abu Dawud, p.19) (Qitri: a type of thick coarse cloth with an element of redness in it.)

The Sahabah (R) and the Turban

Hadhrat Abu Umar (R) reports that he saw Hadhrat Ibn Umar (R) purchasing such a turban which had designs on it. Thereafter he requested for a scissors and cut it off. (Ibn Majah, p.26)

A lengthy incident has been mentioned in Sahih Bukhari where Hadhrat Abdullah bin Ateek (R) says: “It was a moonlit night when I fell down breaking my calf. I used my turban to form a bandage around it and proceeded ahead.” (Vol.2 p.577)

Hadhrat Sulayman (R) says: “I saw those Sahabah who were from the Muhajirin Awwalin (those who were among the first to migrate to Madinah) wearing turbans of cotton material.” (Mussanaf Ibn Abi Shaybah, Vol.8 p.241)...............
http://www.ilmgate.org/the-status-of...of-the-sunnah/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.