/* */

PDA

View Full Version : When washings parts during wudu....

.alhamdulillah.
05-03-2017, 10:50 PM
is it okay to split up a body part and do part of it 3 times, and then the other part 3 times?

Like when washing the feet, could I first go between the pinkies 3 times, and then wash the rest of my foot 3 times???

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Supernova
05-04-2017, 12:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by .alhamdulillah.
is it okay to split up a body part and do part of it 3 times, and then the other part 3 times?

Like when washing the feet, could I first go between the pinkies 3 times, and then wash the rest of my foot 3 times???
Asalaamualaykum

It wont be permissible to do it that way.

The feet (in your example) is considered as one limb.

In a hadith it is related by Abu Abdullah that Nabi [SAW] used to wash the parts of wudu once, twice or thrice but not more than thrice.

When you split the feet into further virtual portions washing each portion thrice, then technically water will flow over the other portions again example the 4th, 5th times.

Nabi [SAW] used to make a dua to Allah SWT to seek refuge from Walahaan.

Walahaan is a designated Shaytaan whos duty is to create doubts when one is making wudu.

The most accepted practice is that wash the limb three times and should your eye miss any part that is not covered by water then you will be excused. So in other words- after washing your feet 3 times and to the best of your ability you have covered the entire feet, then if any part was not covered by water, the fact that you attempted three times is sufficient to be regarded that you are now in the state of wudu.

Wasalaam.

.alhamdulillah.
05-04-2017, 09:35 AM
I understand what you say, but one more thing...

Let's say I wash my face 3 times, does that mean that each spot on the face can only be touched by water 3 times? Or is it okay if I do one good thorough wash of my face in which some spots may accidentally be touched more than once, and do that 3 times?

Supernova
05-04-2017, 01:28 PM
I understand what you say, but one more thing...

Let's say I wash my face 3 times, does that mean that each spot on the face can only be touched by water 3 times? Or is it okay if I do one good thorough wash of my face in which some spots may accidentally be touched more than once, and do that 3 times?
Asalaamualaykum
Your face will be regarded as one limb as such. If you cover the entire face (the definition of face here in wudu is different from the English meaning) once and you are sure that you covered every single bit of it then once is enough.

You are still confusing the issue by segregating the limb into parts. All you need to do is consider the face as ONE limb as such. If you cover the face with water once and you sure then its fine, if you cover twice and sure then its fine, once you cover three times and you tried your best thats it.

There is one little disclaimer here * Say you covered the limb 3 times and then spot with your eye that you missed a portion and its dry, in that case all you need to do is cover the missed part of the limb with water, you dont need to wash the entire limb.
Example: You washed your right arm after the face 3 times - before going to the left arm you realise that although you have covered 3 times over the right arm, that you forgot your right elbow, then all you need to do is cover the right elbow with water.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
azc
05-04-2017, 02:05 PM
The most important part of wudhu is that the each limb which is washed in wudhu, at least once be washed entirely. Washing thrice is intended not to let any part of the limb remained dry.

AbdurRahman.
05-04-2017, 10:43 PM
it's best to doit in the sunnah way and best to learn that way

however as long as the wudhu parts get wet the wudhu will be done so we shouldn't worry about it too much; try to do it the sunnah way and if we dont exactly do it that way, dont worry as we cannot be perfect all the time ... the important thing is to work towards the sunnah and not make things too hard for us

.alhamdulillah.
05-06-2017, 04:30 AM
Thank you for the replies, that makes sense.

One more question, when washing lets say your feet, is it okay to simply let water run over them, like does the foot need to simply be touched by water, or do we have to run our hands over them with water 3 times?

And if it is okay to just run them over by water, I'm assuming the pink finger still needs to go between the toes?

Also with fingers, do we need to just wet them, or get them wet?

Supernova
05-06-2017, 08:30 AM
Thank you for the replies, that makes sense.

One more question, when washing lets say your feet, is it okay to simply let water run over them, like does the foot need to simply be touched by water, or do we have to run our hands over them with water 3 times?

And if it is okay to just run them over by water, I'm assuming the pink finger still needs to go between the toes?

Also with fingers, do we need to just wet them, or get them wet?
Asalaamualaykum:
The reason for rubbing the limb whilst water is flowing over the limb is to be assured that the water has made contact with every part of the limb.
Rubbing also makes sure that any subsidiary particles of dirt do not hinder that water touching the entire limb.

So, taking you question into account, rubbing between the toes - serves both of the above purposes. Also by rubbing the finger between the toes, takes out the dirt. You will notice there is a difference of opinion as to when one should rub the between toes (Start, middle or end of the procedure of washing the feet). In reality it will not make a big difference as long as the entire foot is wet as a result.

I'm going to give you a little tip whilst on the topic. The best way to understand the Masaa'ils of wudu is to use a jug and not a flowing tap. When using a flowing tap, both hands are free and water is always on flow. This might be much easier i agree, but i guarantee you most people who use a flowing tap won't actually know all the masaa'il.

Example: Most people who make wudu with flowing taps (probably all their lives) fall into a mistaken understanding that one needs both hands to wash the face. When you start using a jug/vessel you will come across complications as both hands are no longer free, it will then raise further questions.

Take your time in wudu. The ikhlaas of your wudu is the ikhlaas of your Salaah. Using a jug also saves water and because wudu becomes a slower process with a jug - it makes you think about what you are doing. Using taps, the wudu happens so fast, that we cant even recall making that wudu hours later.

Just to show you how much water is saved, I carried out a little experiment.
I opened my tap and made what i regard as a standard speed wudu and i timed myself on a stopwatch. Lets say it was 3 minutes.

After that, i let the tap run without adjusting the flow for another 3 minutes and put a bucket with measurements in litres under the tap. Hence the flow rate remained the same.

I recorded it at between 6-7 Litres. I use a jug for wudu, and i only use 1.5 Litres. That means roughly a tap wudu is 3 times more than a jug.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.