/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are we actually striving for the path, not the desitination

.alhamdulillah.
05-04-2017, 10:47 PM
I guess I never really thought about it this way, but when we say "guide us on the straight path", we are asking Allah to make it so we are living ourselves towards trying to please and obey him....

it does not mean we have to reach some high point destination of imaan like the sahabas, which of course I am not frowning down upon but it isn't for everyone.....

So at the end of the day, as long as we were on the path, and did not perfect our iman and still had some shortcomings, but slowly tried to better ourselves, is that was will give us Jannah? Just being on the path?

Also, when it comes to trying to slowly better ourselves when we practice Islam, from Islamic source how do we know it is okay to slowly practice Islam when it comes to fard. For example new Muslims might pray 1 to 2 times a day and then improve. So are they sinful for the prayers they miss, or b/c they are new and trying to become better it is okay? Or even a new Muslim only eating halal chicken, what if their whole life they ate non-halal, is it actually permissible from Islamic sources to slowly cut it out, or is it sinful if it is not cut out immediately?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
azc
05-05-2017, 03:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by .alhamdulillah.
I guess I never really thought about it this way, but when we say "guide us on the straight path", we are asking Allah to make it so we are living ourselves towards trying to please and obey him....

it does not mean we have to reach some high point destination of imaan like the sahabas, which of course I am not frowning down upon but it isn't for everyone.....

So at the end of the day, as long as we were on the path, and did not perfect our iman and still had some shortcomings, but slowly tried to better ourselves, is that was will give us Jannah? Just being on the path?

Also, when it comes to trying to slowly better ourselves when we practice Islam, from Islamic source how do we know it is okay to slowly practice Islam when it comes to fard. For example new Muslims might pray 1 to 2 times a day and then improve. So are they sinful for the prayers they miss, or b/c they are new and trying to become better it is okay? Or even a new Muslim only eating halal chicken, what if their whole life they ate non-halal, is it actually permissible from Islamic sources to slowly cut it out, or is it sinful if it is not cut out immediately?
We're to follow the footsteps of Sahaba ikam and should try to make our iman as strong as theirs.

M.I.A.
05-05-2017, 12:29 PM

Depends very much on if you are being judged for it.

If you are in a band of thieves and you ask people not to steal.. then..

Its not really going to happen how you think it is.

...im self employed, i work 72 hours a week +.

Over 3 years iv not taken more than 200 per week.

Its literally all there is left over after bills.. week in week out.

...an afghan charity collector turns up to ask for money.. for afghanistan.

I say i dont have anything..

He says.. DONT SAY THAT!

..now give me money for the people that have nothing in afghanistan.

Strange days.

Hope that clears things up for ya.

People in this world would eat each other alive.. believe me..

Halal Chicken is the least of your worries.

Or mosque politics.

muslim brother
05-05-2017, 01:12 PM
wisdom states to go up or down in stages

a hindu became a muslim just before the long hot ramadhans in india
some not so wise muslims told him he must fast,
obviously its farz.
he couldnt fast and left islam .
when hazrat molana ashraf ali thanvi found out about this he was angry and said you could have used wisdom and maybe advised alternate days or to just do kaza in shorter cooler days.
in the u.k many are not fasting the very long fasts and these are born muslim older men,this is not the same as the above story justifies

yet many keen muslims expect someone coming back to deen or new to be able to do everything instantly
not a wise approach
everything is in stages and steps
even some steps backwards

and allah taala is most merciful
and allah knows best

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
M.I.A.
05-05-2017, 01:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AHMED PATEL

obviously its farz.
when hazrat molana ashraf ali thanvi found out about this he was angry and said you could have used wisdom and maybe advised alternate days or to just do kaza in shorter cooler days.
in the u.k many are not fasting the very long fasts and these are born muslim older men,this is not the same as the above story justifies

yet many keen muslims expect someone coming back to deen or new to be able to do everything instantly
not a wise approach

and allah knows best
Lol the company you keep often aids in making things easier or harder..

Fasts in the company of fasters should be a hella lot easier.

muslim brother
05-05-2017, 01:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
Lol the company you keep often aids in making things easier or harder..

Fasts in the company of fasters should be a hella lot easier.
sometimes the best company is good reputable books by imam ghazalli,molana rumi and spending more time alone:)

i believe very strongly in free thinking and studying
i dislike dogmatic blind following

in our culture there is too much of "following"
less emphasis on researching and finding your own way
this has to do with power and influence
both frowned upon by sufism

M.I.A.
05-05-2017, 02:24 PM
Mankind is not a solitary creation lol..

Although the hermit has his own path.. and is an exception to the rule.

There is only benefit in being part of the blind masses.

Ya seen.

As for OPs post.. even drunks were asked not to turn up until they were sober.

Something is better than nothing i suppose.
I would tell em to bugger off n not come back.

O_o

.alhamdulillah.
05-06-2017, 04:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by azc
We're to follow the footsteps of Sahaba ikam and should try to make our iman as strong as theirs.
I apologize for what I said, I meant it more of a question than statement, but is not true that not everyone is going to be a sahaba, and that there is nothing wrong with being at a lower level??? Or am I wrong on that too.

Beause at the end of the day, while it may be best to reach high levels, not everyone is going to right?

.alhamdulillah.
05-06-2017, 04:42 AM
sometimes the best company is good reputable books by imam ghazalli,molana rumi and spending more time alone:)

i believe very strongly in free thinking and studying
i dislike dogmatic blind following
Any books that you would recommend that someone who has never read his books start out with? Or any popular ones that you know of? Really interested in learning from them.

obviously its farz.

not a wise approach

and allah knows best
See, what you say makes complete sense, but where is the Islamic evidence for what you say?

muslim brother
05-06-2017, 12:22 PM
Any books that you would recommend that someone who has never read his books start out with? Or any popular ones that you know of? Really interested in learning from them.

See, what you say makes complete sense, but where is the Islamic evidence for what you say?
well one of the "proofs" is the decision of hazrat thanvi r.a...though some may disagree

the historical reference is how the prophet :saws: did the gradual tarbiyyah,(rectification) of the sahabah:rahm: over 23 years

about the books..haayatus sahabah
al ghazallis ...dear beloved son
molana rumis ...mathnavi

and many more

http://masud.co.uk/

http://www.khanqah.co.za/

the basic process is gradual self improvement

.alhamdulillah.
05-06-2017, 04:12 PM
well one of the "proofs" is the decision of hazrat thanvi r.a...though some may disagree

the historical reference is how the prophet :saws: did the gradual tarbiyyah,(rectification) of the sahabah:rahm: over 23 years

about the books..haayatus sahabah
al ghazallis ...dear beloved son
molana rumis ...mathnavi

and many more

http://masud.co.uk/

http://www.khanqah.co.za/

the basic process is gradual self improvement
Thanks man, and yea it totally makes sense. How the Quran was revealed over several years and the companions did not become sahabas overnight...
that shows to us that it is about gradually improving, and perhaps there is in the Quran or Hadith evidence that reflects that, but I have not come accross anything yet that says that.

Because then, couldn't a new Muslim essentially use that to drink alcohol for several years before trying to quit it too and wait too long to cut out their bad habits?

muslim brother
05-06-2017, 04:22 PM
i already know "new muslims" who still occasionally drink
but dont born muslims too?

the process is for everyone

dont the majority of muslims even miss salah?

that is why we have taubah
kaza namaz ,roza etc

islam is not a tyrannical religion

it is ignorants and zealots who have made it so

.alhamdulillah.
05-06-2017, 04:31 PM
i already know "new muslims" who still occasionally drink
but dont born muslims too?

the process is for everyone

dont the majority of muslims even miss salah?

that is why we have taubah
kaza namaz ,roza etc

islam is not a tyrannical religion

it is ignorants and zealots who have made it so
But who knows the reason behind why they drink.... maybe they just don't care about God, Allah hasn't guided them yet, who knows....

but if you say that Alcohol was banned down the road, then some may use that as an excuse to say, oh I can still drink it and be Muslim and not be sinful, I'll try to stop slowly later on....

and of course if someone is honest perhaps that isn't wrong, I don't know... but what if someone uses that as an excuse, thinking it is ok for them to do it, even though for us hasn't Allah prescribed us not to drink?

I guess what I am trying to say is that yes, Islam is not a tyrannical religion, but people can't abuse it either and make excuses forever...

muslim brother
05-06-2017, 04:38 PM
part of islah (self rectification) is to leave matters for allah to allah

we are here to worship allah and help creation

after that how they behave is their business

and we assume others will do taubah,as we need to focus on our own weaknesses too

*charisma*
05-13-2017, 11:27 PM
guide us on the straight path"
Do you mean in surah al fatiha?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.