/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me choose Islamic names for my sons?

new_muslimah
05-16-2017, 12:05 PM
Salam,

I am a recent convert to Islam. I have 4 children, three of whom are boys. We are from a white English and Welsh background, and I would like some advice about what names my sons should adopt. My son's names are Ryan, Jamie and Bradley at the moment.

I have been looking through various names that I think could suit them, so could I please ask you to vote for your favourites names? Addition names not mentioned would be welcome too. :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
talibilm
05-16-2017, 12:37 PM
:sl: Sister,

Welcome to the family of Islam where ties never break even in eternity (in the here after provided we die with eemaan)

My suggestions are from the Names of family of Prophet Abraham & prophets (pbuta).

Starting

Ibrahim, Ismail, Ishaq, & Yusuf

Though Muhammad will be the best of All and Allah but seeing the resentment and cherry picking this name to cause obstacles i had not listed it but it will be better if its called together with the above names but not registered in their PP's where i heard they are cherry picked to cause hindrances .

Umm♥Layth
05-16-2017, 03:58 PM
Asalaam aleikum!

I personally would not change their names. Let them do that themselves when they are older. It can cause identity issues and possibly resentment. If the names they have right now do not have a a negative meaning, they are fine :)

anatolian
05-16-2017, 04:30 PM
Let them chose themselves. This is my advice.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
piXie
05-16-2017, 06:06 PM
:wasalamex

Maa shaa Allaah , may Allah grant u and your children every goodness. Aameen.

Perhaps you should read to them the stories of the Prophets and companions and let them decide who they would like to be named after

noraina
05-16-2017, 06:15 PM
Wa alaykum assalam,

Welcome to Islam sister, may Allah swt always keep you and your family steadfast!

Of course, it is not a requirement to change your name into an Arabic one as long as it is not contrary to anything in Islam. However, I know a lot of people who did choose to change their name to kind of 'symbolise' this new stage in their life, and some who decided not to. Whatever anyone wants in'sha'Allah.

You could leave it your sons to decide for themselves. There are so many beautiful boys names such as Yusuf or Abdullah or Eesa ect, you chose some beautiful ones as well...as they learn about their religion more and become older they may decide to take on a name which has a personal resonance with them.

new_muslimah
05-17-2017, 09:06 AM
Thank you for your responses.

I've only had 4 people vote. Can people please give me an idea of the names they think would be best? I am really struggling with a lot of things because I don't have much support.

Serinity
05-17-2017, 09:42 AM
:salam:

Hmm..

You can choose: Muhammad, Ibrahim, Musa, Hassan.

As long as the name has a good meaning, with no shirk in it, etc. Then it is all good.

noor grant
05-17-2017, 01:36 PM
I voted on the nice names i like but I think you should let them choose their own names. they are still growing and discovering who they are now. It could confuse them to have new names not to mention having to explain everything to all their friends, and teachers in school.
Let them continue with their own names until a certain age has passed then have a halal party with your female friends to let them choose a name . it will be more special then then you pickingfor them.
best of luck
masha allah on your conversion. may allah protect you. ameen

Insaanah
05-18-2017, 07:59 PM
Wa alaikum assalaam sister and a belated welcome,

format_quote Originally Posted by new_muslimah
Ryan, Jamie and Bradley
How about Rayyaan, Jamal (or Jamil), Bilal.

I chose two from your list and one other. Rayyaan/Raiyan is one of the gates of paradise through which only those who used to observe fasts will enter (Sahih al Bukhari).

fyi
05-21-2017, 08:37 PM
Salam,

I am a recent convert to Islam. I have 4 children, three of whom are boys. We are from a white English and Welsh background, and I would like some advice about what names my sons should adopt. My son's names are Ryan, Jamie and Bradley at the moment.

I have been looking through various names that I think could suit them, so could I please ask you to vote for your favourites names? Addition names not mentioned would be welcome too. :)
That's amazing.
However I think you should give them a list of muslim names and sit with them and choose together.

Karl
05-22-2017, 12:42 AM
Salam,

Probably best not to change their names as people with Arabic names will be watched and hassled by the authorities. There is a joke going around "If you don't want your house to be burgled, convert to Islam and the police will watch your house 24/ 7".

*charisma*
05-22-2017, 01:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Karl
Probably best not to change their names as people with Arabic names will be watched and hassled by the authorities. There is a joke going around "If you don't want your house to be burgled, convert to Islam and the police will watch your house 24/ 7".
This isn't true. Stop with the fear-mongering.

Serinity
05-22-2017, 01:16 PM
:salam:

If we stop naming our children Islamic names just because kuffar hate them, then that is exactly what they want. So lets not get into that.

Allahu alam.

Scottish Celt
05-22-2017, 02:53 PM
Ibrahim which is my convert forename
Yusef
Zayn but I would spell it Zain
and not listed which is Malik which I choose for an Islamic surname

AbdurRahman.
05-22-2017, 03:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Karl
muslim fears noting but Allah so all the 'resentment' and 'authorities' paranoia can go down the drain where it belongs! :Emoji46::Emoji46::Emoji46:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.