/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Has hijab became a fashion statment?

cinnamonrolls1
05-17-2017, 07:43 PM
Salam all, I've been thinking about this today,has Hijab became a fashion statement? Look at all the hijabi bloggers/youtubers we have nowadays, i.e there are tutorials on how to wear hijab with earrings showing. Even "back home" hijab is seeming to turn into more of a fashion statement than a religious thing. There is no denying however that hijabi bloggers do help occasionally- with me some of the more simpler hijab tutorials helped me figure it all out. Is hijab starting to conform to the Western standard of beauty/fashion?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
noraina
05-17-2017, 09:36 PM
It has in a way...

As someone who has grown up here, I appreciate the struggles of properly observing hijab in this time, in this society which is so obsessed with image and if your eyeliner is on fleek or not. So when I see these young girls having difficulty I sympathise somewhat, and I think at least they have kept their hijab on. I see many people taking it off.

However, my problem with these fashion bloggers is that they are followed by tens of thousands of people. This isn't them just doing their own thing and it's between them and Allah swt, through the platform of social media they have a lot of influence. Being a figure on social media is a huge responsibility which I don't think is appreciated at all.

Say if you do a 'turban' tutorial? It's on your own head, but then if several hundred girls copy you via YouTube that is when you are passing on the wrong values or 'interpretations' to your 'followers'.

And as you mentioned, the problem is that by following society's ideals of 'beauty', these Muslim women are actually getting caught in that trap that Islam liberated us from with the hijab - falling to impossible standards of beauty and perfection.

That said, I've seen many wonderful sisters who are extremely positive role models in the world of social media.

May Allah swt guide us all to maintain hijab in the best of ways.

Simple_Person
05-18-2017, 07:45 AM
Many people ESPECIALLY the youtubers they MAY even know a lot of Islam, but they fail to understand what it is all about. If i am not correct there aren't that many hadith chains with Abu Bakr (ra). What i also heard is that when somebody had a question the sahahaba would say they do not know if it was asked to them. It is a HUGE responsibility to answer a question especially when it is a wrong answer. You will be held responsible. Look at some of those Muslim women even they are SOO proud of being a "feminists" while other Muslim women seeing those Muslim women advocating for feminism and follow the path in the end become all misguided.

Islam has already drawn the borders to not cross and drawn the path to walk. One of the youtubers i will not mention his name, he was openly on one of his videos saying that he had questions about Islam and no friend/family members of his would give him a answer but ..just believed in Islam. This is being contradictory. You cannot have doubt in something, but on the other hand "believe it is the truth".

Sub'han'Allah the more we advance in time, the more things are becoming reality. Allah is making things so hard and unbearable for a lot of Muslims, that ONLY the TRUE Muslims stand tall and say "la ilaha illallah muhammadur rasulullah", because they are 100% convinced that Islam is the truth with their minds and also with their hearts.

https://www.rt.com/news/388707-austr...islamic-veils/

Just yesterday, i read this article. Banning niqab we can still "live" with it so to say, but read at the top.."that outlaws distributing the Koran"

"Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" and they will not be tried?" Qur'an 29:2

"But We have certainly tried those before them, and Allah will surely make evident those who are truthful, and He will surely make evident the liars." Qur'an 29:3

Things are going fast..VERY VERY VERY fast. Banning of distributing a religious book..i did not expect this to come in such a short time, rather i expected it maybe somewhere 2025-20130..but already in 2017. I am to be honest very shocked about the pace.

"Abu Huraira reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Islam began as a something strange and it will return to being strange, so blessed are the strangers.

Source used: http://dailyhadith.abuaminaelias.com...-to-strangers/

To me this hadith means, prosecution, just by following the faith. As in the early times of rising of Islam in Mecca, people were prosecuted, tortured and killed for following Islam..because in the eyes of society they were strangers, if Rasullah(saws) has said such a thing as it will end as something strange, we better buckle up as it MIGHT be indeed return to something like that. That brings back again to Allah saying in the Qur'an "Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" and they will not be tried?"

We here in the west, have majority of our lives enjoyed fairly stable and secure and safe living compared to majority of the rest of the world who has less food and that sort of things.

Allah knows best off course.

Supernova
05-18-2017, 10:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
It has in a way...

As someone who has grown up here, I appreciate the struggles of properly observing hijab in this time, in this society which is so obsessed with image and if your eyeliner is on fleek or not. So when I see these young girls having difficulty I sympathise somewhat, and I think at least they have kept their hijab on. I see many people taking it off.

However, my problem with these fashion bloggers is that they are followed by tens of thousands of people. This isn't them just doing their own thing and it's between them and Allah swt, through the platform of social media they have a lot of influence. Being a figure on social media is a huge responsibility which I don't think is appreciated at all.

Say if you do a 'turban' tutorial? It's on your own head, but then if several hundred girls copy you via YouTube that is when you are passing on the wrong values or 'interpretations' to your 'followers'.

And as you mentioned, the problem is that by following society's ideals of 'beauty', these Muslim women are actually getting caught in that trap that Islam liberated us from with the hijab - falling to impossible standards of beauty and perfection.

That said, I've seen many wonderful sisters who are extremely positive role models in the world of social media.

May Allah swt guide us all to maintain hijab in the best of ways.
Was that a pun ? Turban Tutorial on your own head? LoL

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Supernova
05-18-2017, 10:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cinnamonrolls1
Salam all, I've been thinking about this today,has Hijab became a fashion statement? Look at all the hijabi bloggers/youtubers we have nowadays, i.e there are tutorials on how to wear hijab with earrings showing. Even "back home" hijab is seeming to turn into more of a fashion statement than a religious thing. There is no denying however that hijabi bloggers do help occasionally- with me some of the more simpler hijab tutorials helped me figure it all out. Is hijab starting to conform to the Western standard of beauty/fashion?
I would agree that to some people it has become fashion. The true essence & reason as to why Hijab is in the faith is lost.

Lets also remember that the male is also susceptible to it example Thobes, beards etc. Infact anything can be turned into fashioned by diminishing the real reason to the action.

May Allah SWT save us and rectify us first in our own actions and Ikhlaas of performing actions.

cinnamonrolls1
05-18-2017, 11:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by samirbrazendale
I would agree that to some people it has become fashion. The true essence & reason as to why Hijab is in the faith is lost.

Lets also remember that the male is also susceptible to it example Thobes, beards etc. Infact anything can be turned into fashioned by diminishing the real reason to the action.

May Allah SWT save us and rectify us first in our own actions and Ikhlaas of performing actions.
Yeah definately-everything has became about conforming to a society's standard of beauty/fashion, considering hijab is ment to liberate us from this stuff.

Serinity
05-18-2017, 03:31 PM
:salam:

It is hard, yes. Sometimes society throws filth at you, be it naked women (for men) or nasty looks from people for standing on Islam (women/men)

The Kuffar have taken their desires as God, no doubt about it. So do not argue them on feelings, you just can't.. Just follow the deen, if they dislike it, so be it.

Allah :swt: said that He :swt: will (AFAIK) make Islam known even IF the disbelievers dislike it (paraphrased)

We must stand together.
Allahu alam.

Bobbyflay23
05-19-2017, 12:16 AM
If they want to look good in a hijab that's ok the problem is why are they whering the hijab because if they're not doing it for allah than that's a problem and if they're doing it for they're family to not get angry at them that's a big problem but women like to butify themselves as long as they don't go around flirting with guys and stuff then it's fine in my opinion I don't think a few flowers on a hijab is going to open gateways to zina also it has to do with there intension if they get a nice hijab because they just want to look nice in a outfit I think it's ok but if they did it to attract men then it's a problem women before they go through puberty like to butify themselves as children so I think it's normal

cinnamonrolls1
05-19-2017, 01:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bobbyflay23
If they want to look good in a hijab that's ok the problem is why are they whering the hijab because if they're not doing it for allah than that's a problem and if they're doing it for they're family to not get angry at them that's a big problem but women like to butify themselves as long as they don't go around flirting with guys and stuff then it's fine in my opinion I don't think a few flowers on a hijab is going to open gateways to zina also it has to do with there intension if they get a nice hijab because they just want to look nice in a outfit I think it's ok but if they did it to attract men then it's a problem women before they go through puberty like to butify themselves as children so I think it's normal
yeah, i agree with you

azc
05-21-2017, 09:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cinnamonrolls1
Hijab should be used in a proper way.

If it's been changed into a fashion, entails fitnah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.