/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islamic divorce vs US court divorce

amnamalik
05-24-2017, 04:35 AM
Salam, my husband and i are divorced through US court with mutual consent. and he is also paying me haq mehar. i want to know if i m divorced as per islamic laws as well? and can i start my waiting period?

thanks in advance

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umm♥Layth
05-24-2017, 11:17 AM
Waleikum Asalaam,

You'd have to ask a sheikh to be honest, but from my understanding, if both parties do it mutually through secular court and the intention of divorce is there, then it is valid. I did my divorce through secular court also and we also lived separately for almost 6 months prior to that, so my case is slightly different to yours. My now husband also did his divorce through secular court as his ex-wife didn't want to involve a sheikh, and several sheikhs have told him it would be valid this way. Allahu alim.

Please ask a qualified person sis, it is better to be on the safe side insha'Allah. :)

amnamalik
05-24-2017, 11:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm♥Layth
Waleikum Asalaam,

You'd have to ask a sheikh to be honest, but from my understanding, if both parties do it mutually through secular court and the intention of divorce is there, then it is valid. I did my divorce through secular court also and we also lived separately for almost 6 months prior to that, so my case is slightly different to yours. My now husband also did his divorce through secular court as his ex-wife didn't want to involve a sheikh, and several sheikhs have told him it would be valid this way. Allahu alim.

Please ask a qualified person sis, it is better to be on the safe side insha'Allah. :)
Salam Sister, i and my husband also lived separately for 6 months, and now we both have stamped divorce document from US court. If you dont mind me asking, where do you reside? and also did you consult any Imam/Sheikh at the time of your divorce?

JazakAllah khair.

Umm♥Layth
05-24-2017, 12:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amnamalik
Salam Sister, i and my husband also lived separately for 6 months, and now we both have stamped divorce document from US court. If you dont mind me asking, where do you reside? and also did you consult any Imam/Sheikh at the time of your divorce?

JazakAllah khair.
I was in the US also (not anymore) and I did not ask a sheikh at that time because I assumed it was a mutual consent thing (this was almost 10 years ago). Later on I was told it was acceptable. Just go to your local masjid with your stamped paper and ask if this is acceptable Islamically. It will take alot off your shoulders, I wish I had done that. Let us know what he says insha'Allah. This is a common question actually.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Umm♥Layth
05-24-2017, 12:42 PM
Just to add, from what I read, the civil divorce is valid if the husband applies for it but not if the wife applies for it. A khula is a very different process from a talaq. So you'd have to clarify that with whatever sheikh you seek answers from.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.