/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Converting in an Islamphobia environment

rafiq123
05-29-2017, 12:14 PM
Assalamualaikum and a good Ramadan to everyone of you here. I am interested in Islam and wanted to convert but I am having problems with my family and friends. My parents told me that if anyone in the family convert to Islam, he/she will be kicked out of the family and they keep going on about Islamphobia on a daily basis. All my friends that I am in touch with are Islamphobia as well. I have a few Muslim friends but they are too busy and we rarely get in touch. What should I do ? I am totally lost now.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Samiul123
05-29-2017, 01:12 PM
Bro dont worry it matters what is inside. If you know Islam is the truth, this is the ultimate thing which matters. Always pray to Allah whenever you can and try to get contact with mosques or other Islamic organizations. May Allah help you ameen.

rafiq123
05-29-2017, 01:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Samiul123
Bro dont worry it matters what is inside. If you know Islam is the truth, this is the ultimate thing which matters. Always pray to Allah whenever you can and try to get contact with mosques or other Islamic organizations. May Allah help you ameen.
Hi yes, thank you for your reply. First of all I understand that if I want to convert to Islam, I have to recite shadah and I have to pray and fast after I convert to Islam. I can't fast as I am living with my parents now and they will get suspicious if I don't eat anything and I can't pray because I don't want ppl to know that I am a Muslim. Moreover, if I go to local masjid for help, my parents will know that as well and it will turn into a big fuss. What can I do?

Samiul123
05-29-2017, 01:45 PM
Bro, honestly pray in secret to Allah as much as you can. Also, just go to the mosque if there is any way. Try and talk to the brothers and try to find a way. It might be very difficult honestly, but sincerely make dua to Allah as much as you can for guidance. Inshallah Allah will guide you.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Aaqib
05-29-2017, 02:24 PM
hm.. maybe you could go into your room and pray... when your parents come in, simply stand up and pretend you were reading a book/on your phone? Keep a book or phone right next to you just in case.

DunyaStory
05-29-2017, 02:30 PM
Dear brother.
I think I can understand you better then most because I was in similar situation, maybe even worse.
I have converted to Islam in country where there are literally no muslims, I have no muslims friends, there are no mosques here.
But still , I manage somehow to practice my beautiful religion, sometimes I cant pray, sometimes I have to hide it, but indeed reward from Allah is far greater then the trouble.
If you need anyone to talk to , feel free to send me message, I will gladly help you the same way other brothers from this Ummah helped me on my path to Islam.
May Allah guide you further on your path :) Assalamu alaikum

rafiq123
05-29-2017, 04:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Samiul123
Bro, honestly pray in secret to Allah as much as you can. Also, just go to the mosque if there is any way. Try and talk to the brothers and try to find a way. It might be very difficult honestly, but sincerely make dua to Allah as much as you can for guidance. Inshallah Allah will guide you.
I will do it when I have the courage thanks for the advice

rafiq123
05-29-2017, 04:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaqib
hm.. maybe you could go into your room and pray... when your parents come in, simply stand up and pretend you were reading a book/on your phone? Keep a book or phone right next to you just in case.
Well they still know it either way because they know how Muslims pray

rafiq123
05-29-2017, 04:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DunyaStory
Dear brother.
I think I can understand you better then most because I was in similar situation, maybe even worse.
I have converted to Islam in country where there are literally no muslims, I have no muslims friends, there are no mosques here.
But still , I manage somehow to practice my beautiful religion, sometimes I cant pray, sometimes I have to hide it, but indeed reward from Allah is far greater then the trouble.
If you need anyone to talk to , feel free to send me message, I will gladly help you the same way other brothers from this Ummah helped me on my path to Islam.
May Allah guide you further on your path :) Assalamu alaikum
Thanks I will pm you if I have any questions

*charisma*
05-29-2017, 05:08 PM
Welcome to the forum :)

Sorry to hear about your situation. It's definitely a difficult one. How old are you if You don't mind me asking? You seem young. But if you're not, is it possible for you to move out? Do you eat together as a family?

rafiq123
05-29-2017, 05:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Welcome to the forum :)

Sorry to hear about your situation. It's definitely a difficult one. How old are you if You don't mind me asking? You seem young. But if you're not, is it possible for you to move out? Do you eat together as a family?
Thank you for your reply
Well I am 19 now and no it's not possible to move out because I just started uni and the uni is near my house plus my parents would not allow that either imo and yes I eat with my family but I try to avoid pork or any non halal food as much as possible.

Search
05-29-2017, 05:25 PM
:bism: (In the Name of God, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful)

Brother, welcome to IB!

I'm genuinely sorry to hear of your troubles, but I am happy to hear of your desire to convert. Please know that in Islam intentions are more important than actions, and therefore even if you're unable to pray or fast, then at least keep the intention and try if possible but do not sweat the stuff if you're unable to do so.

Early Muslims also had to hide their faith when they converted, and one of the things they used to do is read the Qur'an and pray in secret; so, you can do the same. It will be difficult for you, yes, but not impossible, brother.

I myself went from atheism to Islam, and therefore I know the value of Islam. So, don't let anyone or fear of any person keep you from converting because no one has the right to keep you from doing what you know is best and right for you; that said, always respect your family, especially your parents. They're just scared for you and probably afraid of what they think Islam is.

That said, just trust Allah. And keep in touch with us InshaAllah (God-willing) on IB here so that we can offer you support and encouragement. Remember that no one can harm you or benefit you without the will of Allah and so turn to Allah for both guidance and protection in all matters of concern.

Sincere Regards & Best Wishes, :)

format_quote Originally Posted by rafiq123
Hi yes, thank you for your reply. First of all I understand that if I want to convert to Islam, I have to recite shadah and I have to pray and fast after I convert to Islam. I can't fast as I am living with my parents now and they will get suspicious if I don't eat anything and I can't pray because I don't want ppl to know that I am a Muslim. Moreover, if I go to local masjid for help, my parents will know that as well and it will turn into a big fuss. What can I do?

MisterK
05-29-2017, 05:29 PM
Thank you for your reply
Well I am 19 now and no it's not possible to move out because I just started uni and the uni is near my house plus my parents would not allow that either imo and yes I eat with my family but I try to avoid pork or any non halal food as much as possible.
Are you allowed to lock your door when you wish to be left alone? If so, lock it for prayer times, since it shouldn't take too long for each prayer. Or if your uni has a prayer room, make use of that, perhaps. Or even if you know of any secluded spots at a park or something where people almost never go, maybe try to use such a place? And if you can't do any of this, at appointed prayer times, perhaps pray in your head, imagining yourself going through the motion. It may not be ideal, and may not be the appropriate manner of prayer, but I can't help but feel even that would be better than just not praying at all.

Regarding food, while it doesn't help for fasting purposes, maybe show an interest in going on a pescatarian diet around your family and friends, which is a vegetarian + seafood diet, which is all halal. And of course, on your own, if you still wanted to eat a burger or chicken or whatever, just make sure it is halal.

DunyaStory
05-29-2017, 06:00 PM
Assalamualaikum and a good Ramadan to everyone of you here. I am interested in Islam and wanted to convert but I am having problems with my family and friends. My parents told me that if anyone in the family convert to Islam, he/she will be kicked out of the family and they keep going on about Islamphobia on a daily basis. All my friends that I am in touch with are Islamphobia as well. I have a few Muslim friends but they are too busy and we rarely get in touch. What should I do ? I am totally lost now.
Brother unfortunately I cannot reply to message so Ill answer you here.
You are now part of Ummah where we are like family, we will gladly help you , we are brothers and sisters, it is an instruction from our Prophet (saw) to do so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lkaoWLX2nA&t check this video on 1:21 you will find your answer about Ramadan.
If you have any other question , please contact me on my whatsapp +385 95 368 1648 or my mail : brunobajric@yahoo.com
Allah hafiz! ;)

Scimitar
05-29-2017, 06:59 PM
Keep reading al fatiha, seven verses is all it is - al fatiha means "the opening" - may Allah open for you a way out of this mess, ameen!

Scimi

DunyaStory
05-29-2017, 07:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
Keep reading al fatiha, seven verses is all it is - al fatiha means "the opening" - may Allah open for you a way out of this mess, ameen!

Scimi
Good advice brother, here is a video that helped me alot when I was starting : https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=3Y0IpkP3-Kk

rafiq123
05-30-2017, 01:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Search
:bism: (In the Name of God, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful)

Brother, welcome to IB!

I'm genuinely sorry to hear of your troubles, but I am happy to hear of your desire to convert. Please know that in Islam intentions are more important than actions, and therefore even if you're unable to pray or fast, then at least keep the intention and try if possible but do not sweat the stuff if you're unable to do so.

Early Muslims also had to hide their faith when they converted, and one of the things they used to do is read the Qur'an and pray in secret; so, you can do the same. It will be difficult for you, yes, but not impossible, brother.

I myself went from atheism to Islam, and therefore I know the value of Islam. So, don't let anyone or fear of any person keep you from converting because no one has the right to keep you from doing what you know is best and right for you; that said, always respect your family, especially your parents. They're just scared for you and probably afraid of what they think Islam is.

That said, just trust Allah. And keep in touch with us InshaAllah (God-willing) on IB here so that we can offer you support and encouragement. Remember that no one can harm you or benefit you without the will of Allah and so turn to Allah for both guidance and protection in all matters of concern.

Sincere Regards & Best Wishes, :)
Yes thank you for your reply I will convert once I am ready

rafiq123
05-30-2017, 01:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MisterK
Are you allowed to lock your door when you wish to be left alone? If so, lock it for prayer times, since it shouldn't take too long for each prayer. Or if your uni has a prayer room, make use of that, perhaps. Or even if you know of any secluded spots at a park or something where people almost never go, maybe try to use such a place? And if you can't do any of this, at appointed prayer times, perhaps pray in your head, imagining yourself going through the motion. It may not be ideal, and may not be the appropriate manner of prayer, but I can't help but feel even that would be better than just not praying at all.

Regarding food, while it doesn't help for fasting purposes, maybe show an interest in going on a pescatarian diet around your family and friends, which is a vegetarian + seafood diet, which is all halal. And of course, on your own, if you still wanted to eat a burger or chicken or whatever, just make sure it is halal.
Hi yes thank you for your reply I will plan out the time to complete all 4 salat in one shot and for fajr I think there should not be any problem. Well my uni has a salat room but sadly my non Muslim friends would know I converted to Islam if I use it and I am scared that they will make a big fuss out of it and the prob is I live in a city and I don't think there is a place where it's less crowded( at least in my area) and for the food part honestly I can't do much due to the fact that my parents are the ones who decide what to buy I am not in authority to do so.

rafiq123
05-30-2017, 01:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar

Scimi
Thank you for ur reply and yes I have memorised all the verses in Alfatihah

azc
05-30-2017, 03:04 PM
:wa:

Very difficult situation!

How long you can keep your Islam in secrecy?

May Allah swt make it easy for you . Ameen

rafiq123
05-30-2017, 04:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by azc

Very difficult situation!

How long you can keep your Islam in secrecy?

May Allah swt make it easy for you . Ameen
That is something I can't say only Allah knows. But then I will try my best to practice it in secret

azc
05-30-2017, 05:00 PM
That is something I can't say only Allah knows. But then I will try my best to practice it in secret
We shall be pleased if you give shahadah on forum.

May Allah swt accept your iman and Islam. Ameen

Abz2000
05-30-2017, 11:37 PM
May peace be upon you brother, it appears that you have accepted the truth within you but human circumstances are the obstacles that compose your test - there is good in it InshaAllah as you won't see Islam as something easy come easy go, but a valuable treasure that you struggled for, the main thing to keep in mind as you face these struggles are your priorities, number one being that you will one day inevitably meet God, answer to Him, go through all your accounts and then achieve immediate eternal success with a sigh of suspended relief or unimaginable grief for the unacceptable things He refuses to overlook at His own discretion - before forgiveness and grace - if that's to be granted - and a minute in hell is not bearable more so than the fact that a minute on an electric chair isn't desirable. Not trying to over alarm you, just that I thought about it now as I was typing and remembering all the things some people suffer on earth due to the lack of practice and establishment of God's justice - there's no denying that God's judgement is just- regardless of what His wisdom sees fitting.
Anyway, thinking of priority number one should help you ace through your tests and see them as smaller than they appear to loom- although they are realities and don't just fade away by imagination (usually - unless it's a miracle). It's the human factor.
None of us will be perfect no matter how much we try since perfection is a sole attribute of Allah and he lets us know that when we climb too high - so don't lose hope if you stumble, and you will stumble - hopefully less as time goes by and the meeting approaches.
I'm sounding so pious but I assure you I'm just trying to pass on the best of what I can.
Remember, you won't care about anyone else, or they about you - if you are to part ways on that awsome day, no matter how closely related or beloved in this transitory life, but if you can assist In guiding them to the correct path and they succeed, you'll rejoice together as you walk up those stairs and cash in your creditz.

Download this movie and watch it with them if you can, it may soften their hearts:

https://archive.org/details/TheMessageEnglishVersion

It's a movie adapted version of the life of the prophet pbuh (the message) - though there are a few inaccurate statements.

rafiq123
05-31-2017, 03:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by azc
We shall be pleased if you give shahadah on forum.

May Allah swt accept your iman and Islam. Ameen
How do I give it on the forum?

rafiq123
05-31-2017, 04:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
May peace be upon you brother, it appears that you have accepted the truth within you but human circumstances are the obstacles that compose your test - there is good in it InshaAllah as you won't see Islam as something easy come easy go, but a valuable treasure that you struggled for, the main thing to keep in mind as you face these struggles are your priorities, number one being that you will one day inevitably meet God, answer to Him, go through all your accounts and then achieve immediate eternal success with a sigh of suspended relief or unimaginable grief for the unacceptable things He refuses to overlook at His own discretion - before forgiveness and grace - if that's to be granted - and a minute in hell is not bearable more so than the fact that a minute on an electric chair isn't desirable. Not trying to over alarm you, just that I thought about it now as I was typing and remembering all the things some people suffer on earth due to the lack of practice and establishment of God's justice - there's no denying that God's judgement is just- regardless of what His wisdom sees fitting.
Anyway, thinking of priority number one should help you ace through your tests and see them as smaller than they appear to loom- although they are realities and don't just fade away by imagination (usually - unless it's a miracle). It's the human factor.
None of us will be perfect no matter how much we try since perfection is a sole attribute of Allah and he lets us know that when we climb too high - so don't lose hope if you stumble, and you will stumble - hopefully less as time goes by and the meeting approaches.
I'm sounding so pious but I assure you I'm just trying to pass on the best of what I can.
Remember, you won't care about anyone else, or they about you - if you are to part ways on that awsome day, no matter how closely related or beloved in this transitory life, but if you can assist In guiding them to the correct path and they succeed, you'll rejoice together as you walk up those stairs and cash in your creditz.

Download this movie and watch it with them if you can, it may soften their hearts:

https://archive.org/details/TheMessageEnglishVersion

It's a movie adapted version of the life of the prophet pbuh (the message) - though there are a few inaccurate statements.
Assalamualaikum and thank you for your reply. I hope that in future no matter how big the obstacle is I won't give up. But then I don't think I will be able to guide them to the right path since they are just ignorant and they just can't label Islam as terrorism since they follow local and western news which only know how to spread bad and inaccurate information.

Scimitar
05-31-2017, 03:33 PM
How do I give it on the forum?
My advice is to find a mosque and do it the right way in sh'Allah.

Scimi

AbdurRahman.
06-02-2017, 07:24 PM

you can hide your Islam until your more independent

also, if your an adult and can manage to rent a room or something than best is to move out

the companions of prophet Muhammad [saw] converted while there were vicious islamaphobes all around them intent on killing and torturing, but it is not that bad for us is it, so take the plunge and whether you 'hide' your islam or not, dont worry it wont be that bad!

rafiq123
06-03-2017, 05:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AbdullahAziz

you can hide your Islam until your more independent

also, if your an adult and can manage to rent a room or something than best is to move out

the companions of prophet Muhammad [saw] converted while there were vicious islamaphobes all around them intent on killing and torturing, but it is not that bad for us is it, so take the plunge and whether you 'hide' your islam or not, dont worry it wont be that bad!
I'll do it when it's right time inshallah

Scimitar
06-03-2017, 01:55 PM
Rafiq123, for the meantime you can see the work our team does here in sh'Allah: www.youtube.com/c/DawahDigital

Enjoy akhi

Scimi

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.