/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What is the Qurans view on the shape of the earth?

.alhamdulillah.
05-29-2017, 10:23 PM
Does the Quran actually describe the earth as being egg shaped as science shows it to be, or is the Islamic view that the earth is flat?Also, how the the verses about the earth being flat then play into this as well, such as the earth being like a carpet?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Scimitar
05-29-2017, 10:34 PM
Ah the flat earth nonsense.

Listen to ME.

Look up Terry Pratchett, he had all the flat earth retards contained in his spell but when he died, they all came out and onto the web lol.

Terry wrote a plethora of books he imagined in a series called DiscWorld - all about a flat earth, it was science fiction.

He died a few years ago and since then this flat earth BS has been gaining traction. It's obvious why - the flat earth fantasists have lost their lying prophet to death - and now they are leaking his nonsense onto the web as some sort of pseudo-Science.

As for Qur'an, the verse which gives us the understanding of he shape of the earth is the one in which the word Ad Dahaha is mentioned (egg shaped).

The verse about the earth being stretched out like a carpet let's you understand that this sphere we live on, is so large that at any point on its surface, the world will look flat like a carpet because you cannot see the curvature of the earth from eye level.

the two verses you are wanting to discuss - speak of - Shape (sphere) and Size (Huge).

Savvy?

Scimi

sister herb
05-29-2017, 10:35 PM
We just had here discussion about shape of the earth. Did you notice it?

https://www.islamicboard.com/health-...at#post2963828

Scimitar
05-29-2017, 10:36 PM
The earth is a sphere Sister Herb, and that thread is lol nonsense.

Scimi

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Umm♥Layth
05-29-2017, 10:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar

Look up Terry Pratchett, he had all the flat earth retards contained in his spell but when he died, they all came out and onto the web lol.
;D this made me lol.

Bobbyflay23
05-29-2017, 10:49 PM
Ah the flat earth nonsense.

Listen to ME.

Terry wrote a plethora of books he imagined in a series called DiscWorld - all about a flat earth, it was science fiction.

He died a few years ago and since then this flat earth BS has been gaining traction. It's obvious why - the flat earth fantasists have lost their lying prophet to death - and now they are leaking his nonsense onto the web as some sort of pseudo-Science.

As for Qur'an, the verse which gives us the understanding of he shape of the earth is the one in which the word Ad Dahaha is mentioned (egg shaped).

The verse about the earth being stretched out like a carpet let's you understand that this sphere we live on, is so large that at any point on its surface, the world will look flat like a carpet because you cannot see the curvature of the earth from eye level.

the two verses you are wanting to discuss - speak of - Shape (sphere) and Size (Huge).

Savvy?

Scimi
Why you calling them retards because of there view chill out where in Islam does it say to attack anyone because of there views in fact it's there right to believe what they want to believe

Bobbyflay23
05-29-2017, 10:58 PM
You guys get too aggressive over this the flat earth theory and his question had nothing to do with the flat earth theory or anything dahaha also translates to flat but I don't believe the worlds flat or that verse means that but don't just hide these facts the Quran can mean both sides im sure if science went out and said the world was flat everybody would side with the word dahaha meaning the world being flat my view is it means egg shaped but alhu Allam the flat earth theory has some valid proof but if you use logic and evidence the proof can be contradicted and also there's big things that make it impossible for the world being flat such as how you can't take a telscope and look at over country's but my point is if it used the word orstich egg how is it coincidentally aligned with sciences views so it is most likely that but it also means flat so this verse can go on both sides it can be used for the flat earther sides and the scientists sides I personally agree with the scientists but we can't use any verse for any side because either way it can be used for both sides

.alhamdulillah.
05-29-2017, 11:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bobbyflay23
You guys get too aggressive over this the flat earth theory and his question had nothing to do with the flat earth theory or anything dahaha also translates to flat but I don't believe the worlds flat or that verse means that but don't just hide these facts the Quran can mean both sides im sure if science went out and said the world was flat everybody would side with the word dahaha meaning the world being flat my view is it means egg shaped but alhu Allam the flat earth theory has some valid proof but if you use logic and evidence the proof can be contradicted and also there's big things that make it impossible for the world being flat such as how you can't take a telscope and look at over country's but my point is if it used the word orstich egg how is it coincidentally aligned with sciences views so it is most likely that but it also means flat so this verse can go on both sides it can be used for the flat earther sides and the scientists sides I personally agree with the scientists but we can't use any verse for any side because either way it can be used for both sides
Yea I totally agree with your view, just want to see what the Quran actually means when it says that...

Also, to add to what you said for more proof of a "round" earth, how else would we explain night and day knowing that the earth rotates..

Bobbyflay23
05-29-2017, 11:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by .alhamdulillah.
Yea I totally agree with your view, just want to see what the Quran actually means when it says that...

Also, to add to what you said for more proof of a "round" earth, how else would we explain night and day knowing that the earth rotates..
I don't understand what you mean but you reminded me of somthing I don't remember if it's from the Quran or Hadith I think it sides with the flat earth view where the sun asks permission from allah to rise every day if the earth was spinning and that's how the sun rises then why wouldn't earth ask allah to make another rotations it would seem as if the sun is the one going around the earth I still hold the view that it's round but idk maybe someone on this forum could explain what it means

Bobbyflay23
05-29-2017, 11:20 PM
I don't understand what you mean but you reminded me of somthing I don't remember if it's from the Quran or Hadith I think it sides with the flat earth view where the sun asks permission from allah to rise every day if the earth was spinning and that's how the sun rises then why wouldn't earth ask allah to make another rotations it would seem as if the sun is the one going around the earth I still hold the view that it's round but idk maybe someone on this forum could explain what it means
I just realized that this hadith or ayah whatever it is where it says the sun asks permission from allah to rise every day it could also be on the world being rounds side because the Christians used to hold the view that the sun Rotates around earth so maybe that's how it works idk I honestly don't know maybe it was a fabricated hadith

.alhamdulillah.
05-29-2017, 11:21 PM
I guess I don't know how to explain what I said better but I thought I would throw these ayahs out there, not sure 100% what they mean so hopefully someone with more knowledge can elaborate... BUT IT WOULD SEEM TO MEAN THAT IF THE EARTH WILL BE FLATTENED ON THE DAY OF JUDGEMENT, THE QURAN SUPPORTS THE VIEW THAT IT IS ROUND NOW...???

And they ask you about the mountains, so say, "My Lord will blow them away with a blast.And He will leave the earth a level plain;You will not see therein a depression or an elevation." [20:105-107]

I'm not sure if it really refers to the earth as a level plain, since there are different translations, or if it means the mountains as a level plain? Someone with the arabic knowledge must know....

And you can also look at the beginning of Surah #84 that perhaps means the earth will be flattened on the DoJ????

Someone please confirm?

Bobbyflay23
05-29-2017, 11:23 PM
I guess I don't know how to explain what I said better but I thought I would throw these ayahs out there, not sure 100% what they mean so hopefully someone with more knowledge can elaborate... BUT IT WOULD SEEM TO MEAN THAT IF THE EARTH WILL BE FLATTENED ON THE DAY OF JUDGEMENT, THE QURAN SUPPORTS THE VIEW THAT IT IS ROUND NOW...???

And they ask you about the mountains, so say, "My Lord will blow them away with a blast.And He will leave the earth a level plain;You will not see therein a depression or an elevation." [20:105-107]

I'm not sure if it really refers to the earth as a level plain, since there are different translations, or if it means the mountains as a level plain? Someone with the arabic knowledge must know....

And you can also look at the beginning of Surah #84 that perhaps means the earth will be flattened on the DoJ????

Someone please confirm?
Hmm well we can't be 100% sure on this either I could mean one level plain but it could also mean just simple making all the OF the geographical features gone and it just being flat ground so I don't really know

Bobbyflay23
05-29-2017, 11:26 PM
I found it it's a sahih hadith here ya go

Narrated Abu Dharr: The Prophet asked me at sunset, "Do you know where the sun goes (at the time of sunset)?" I replied, "Allah and His Messenger know better." He said, "It goes (i.e. travels) till it prostrates Itself underneath the Throne and takes the permission to rise again, and it is permitted and then (a time will come when) it will be about to prostrate itself but its prostration will not be accepted, and it will ask permission to go on its course but it will not be permitted, but it will be ordered to return whence it has come and so it will rise in the west. And that is the interpretation of the Statement of Allah: "And the sun is quickly proceeding towards its destination. That is the designing of the All-Mighty, the All-Knowing. " (36.38)
(Sahih Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 54, Hadith 421)

Bobbyflay23
05-29-2017, 11:46 PM
I'm still reading it but here's a link to a fatwa website explaining the hadith https://islamqa.info/en/176375

Bobbyflay23
05-29-2017, 11:55 PM
Somthing I just realized though is that if the world was flat and the sun went around it then it would be the same time in other country's but we all know other country's have different time zones proveable by the internet honestly I'm starting to feel as if the hadith is not sahih but maybe it's talking about a matter of the unseen

talibilm
05-30-2017, 12:04 AM
Does the Quran actually describe the earth as being egg shaped as science shows it to be, or is the Islamic view that the earth is flat?Also, how the the verses about the earth being flat then play into this as well, such as the earth being like a carpet?
:sl:

Ah Again on this Subject , and a copy & paste from the earlier most active thread

PhD thesis: The earth is flat! An example of how religion and science doesn't mix wel

The Noble Quran never claimed clear Cut that the Earth is flat or sphere which is the most right thing since its from the wisdom of Allah , The Creator , which is correct 100 % from a human view like me, since even after 1400 years after the revelation of the noble Quran and even after 10,000 folds of scientific development myself while flying at EVEN AT AN ALTITUDE OF 30-40000 feet, still could not find any spheric curve that would satisfy ME that the earth is spherical so we believe Nasa bluntly on such matters , ^o) (though Some of their People claim Nasa lied about Manned missions in late 1960's)

If Allah clearly told that the earth was sphere and even if Prophet :saws: who could have seen the earth from the skies and also proclaimed it was a sphere, do you know what could have happened ? The Pagan Arabs then would have constructed THE tallest tower to climb (like Pharaoh Ordered his construction minister Hamaan for seeing Allah because Moses (pbuh) said Allah is in the skies) and see was it real ? That would lead them only to waste their Precious TIME only thinking on this single word and still cannot come to any conclusion untill a satellite photographed it FROM SPACE BECAUSE even a Modern Astronomical Telescope found in 16- 17 th century would not have helped untill we travelled to Space to an altitude of more than 100km above EARTH since even myself while flying at 30-40000 feet, still could not find any spheric curve that would satisfy ME that the earth is spherical. So the result could have been the pagans would have rejected the Noble Quran as a Lie and we would have been worshipping some idols ;D now

So that's why Allah says in the Noble Quran to the people not to ask too many questions and if it was answered plainly to them it will land them in more problems as in the verse below

5:101 '''
O you who believe! Ask not about things which, if made plain to you,may cause you trouble. ''

So The ALL WISE, Allah knew VERY WELL what to reveal ? & what not to reveal ? & what to leave it 'VAGUE' ? and how to address it ( The RIGHT DOSAGE OF KNOWLEDGE to the camel herders and bedoiuns who do not know the meaning to the word 'science" OR OVER DOSAGE WOULD HAVE KILLED THEM- their faith ) so that they became believers that changed them like 'Sand into gold'' ( The Gentiles & Pagans, Camel, Sheep herders to the Super powers (USA & RUSSIA) of that Era as rulers sitting on Throne of Caeser 's Ruling the world in just 30-35 years) Subhanallah

,So the Prophet(pbuh) rightly commented this in his Last haj sermon few months before his demise

'' ....................... I leave behind me two things, the Quran and the Sunnah (Hadith), and if you follow these you will never go astray. All those who listen to me shall pass on my words to others and those to others again; and
may the last ones understand my words better than those who listened to me directly. Be my witness, O Allah, that I have conveyed your message to your people.''

But there is a hint in the Noble Quran for the Earth Not to be a Flat Earth since Allah says something like this Earth would be pounded and made into a flat earth on the day of Judgement (implying its not flat now)and people will be given sharp sight (like a telescope ) so that they will see how Bush being questioned in USA while standing in East Asia because everyone will be resurrected from the place they died is known from our books.

Aaqib
05-30-2017, 12:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by talibilm
:sl:
so that they will see how Bush being questioned in USA while standing in East Asia.
;D funny addition

talibilm
05-30-2017, 12:35 AM
I found it it's a sahih hadith here ya go

Narrated Abu Dharr: The Prophet asked me at sunset, "Do you know where the sun goes (at the time of sunset)?" I replied, "Allah and His Messenger know better." He said, "It goes (i.e. travels) till it prostrates Itself underneath the Throne and takes the permission to rise again, and it is permitted and then (a time will come when) it will be about to prostrate itself but its prostration will not be accepted, and it will ask permission to go on its course but it will not be permitted, but it will be ordered to return whence it has come and so it will rise in the west. And that is the interpretation of the Statement of Allah: "And the sun is quickly proceeding towards its destination. That is the designing of the All-Mighty, the All-Knowing. " (36.38)
(Sahih Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 54, Hadith 421)
:sl: bro

another hadiths substantiates the meaning of Prostration here ( Like Angels Prostration to Adam AS or family of Yusuf AS Prostration to the King Yusuf AS)

PROSTRATION OF SUN MEANS

Bukhari :: Book 6 :: Volume 60 :: Hadith 327
Narrated Abu Dharr: I asked the Prophet about the Statement of Allah:--
'And the sun runs on fixed course for a term (decreed), ' (36.38) He said, "Its course is underneath "Allah's Throne." (Prostration of Sun trees, stars. mentioned in Qur'an and Hadith does not mean like our prostration but it means that these objects are obedient to their Creator (Allah) and they obey for what they have been created for).

fromelsewhere
05-30-2017, 01:00 AM
Read this: https://islamqa.info/en/211655
These are some of the verses in the Quran that have been misinterpreted by some to mean that the earth is flat. The consensus from the scholars, however, is that the earth is round and that there is no conflict with the Quran: https://islamqa.info/en/118698

EDIT: Providing that you are not into conspiracy theories, here is a nice, high-quality image taken by a satellite of the Earth. You can decide for yourself what shape it is: https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/n...ic-earth-image

anatolian
05-30-2017, 01:14 AM
Triangle

Bobbyflay23
05-30-2017, 02:50 AM
I'm guessing none of you know what depth of field is? LOL, and you're sharing images from NASA? :D

Listen, study light and refraction and then get back to me and tell me that the depth of field does not strongly suggest a spherical earth :D

Scimi
no one here even said we believe in the flat earth theory and this forum was never even dedicated to it it was dedicated on the quranic view of the the world being flat and we basically came to the conclusion that the Quran doesn't have solid evidence that it's a sphere or solid evidence that it's flat and secondly everyone here said it's definitely a sphere but the flat earthers definitely have a point to just throw away all of there evidence and say your dumb not respecting there views and not even engaging into a debate with proof or anything is plain old arrogant everyone here has said that there's proof that the worlds flat but the proof that the worlds a sphere is more overwhelming in islam we gave the right to everyone to believe what they want and we respect that person and we don't call them names think about it rassolallah saw let Christians worship jesus (as) in a mosk he didn't call them names or anything even though the idea is straight up offensive and he has amazing knowledge that in his mind he looks at them like they are idiots but what does he do he respects them now all we have done is listed the evidence of the world being flat and the evidence of the world being a sphere what is so offensive about that to you? We are just comparing that is how people come to the truth now isn't it?we are talking about the Quran and Hadith on the worlds shape not science let's just say for a moment that science has been lying to us and that these pictures are photoshopped we are figuring this out also by using our own logic without these big figure heads who like to use big words and honestly with logic it too points to the world being a sphere

Scimitar
05-30-2017, 02:57 AM

Know your Islamic history when it comes to science!

Scimi

Scimitar
05-30-2017, 03:08 AM
-------

Scimi

YahyaAE
05-30-2017, 08:15 AM
This flat earth thing was cute for a while a year ago, but now it seems everyone is chatting about it. Did everyone forget how to science? :)

Bobbyflay23
05-30-2017, 08:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by YahyaAE
This flat earth thing was cute for a while a year ago, but now it seems everyone is chatting about it. Did everyone forget how to science? :)
We are talking about the quranic view and checking all the evidence that points to it being a sphere and all the evidence pointing to it being flat or as according to anatolians view a triangle

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.