PDA

View Full Version : I got attacked while praying



DunyaStory
06-07-2017, 10:04 PM
Assalamu alaikum my brothers.
My name is Bruno, I converted to Islam 1 year ago. Few weeks ago I have started my youtube channel and I post some islam related videos.
So my friend and me went to film ''Praying in public'' social experiment ( since that kind of experiment is really popular on youtube).
We filmed prayer on 1st location without problem, but on second location some guy was sitting on a bench near me and while I was praying he was asking me what I'm doing and telling me to leave.
I ignored that and actually thought that it will just show that some people dont like the idea of muslim praying ( I live in christian catholic country).
But that same guy actually attacked me. We have everything on camera so I uploaded the video today to show to others what actually can happen to someone who is just praying in public, not hurting anyone.

https://youtu.be/OlizEEk-aJg
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Bobbyflay23
06-07-2017, 10:06 PM
I'll check it out after I shower
Reply

AbdurRahman.
06-07-2017, 10:15 PM
praying in public for a social experiment could be problematic for sincerity; prayer should be done only to please ALlah but obviously their is also a dual motive attached here

and unless necessary we shouldn't provoke the non-muslim; there is enough Islamaphobia as it is without us appearing to 'rub it in' to them so try to avoid public prayer unless very necessary

after all they are the indeginous people and original natives of this country so we should respect their feelings and sensetivities
Reply

DunyaStory
06-07-2017, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by AbdullahAziz
praying in public for a social experiment could be problematic for sincerity; prayer should be done only to please ALlah but obviously their is also a dual motive attached here

and unless necessary we shouldn't provoke the non-muslim; there is enough Islamaphobia as it is without us appearing to 'rub it in' to them so try to avoid public prayer unless very necessary

after all they are the indeginous people and original natives of this country so we should respect their feelings and sensetivities
My brother I respect your opinion, but I disagree a little bit. There are no mosques in my city. Should I never pray but only in my house ? I often pray in public, I dont do it in the middle of the road to bother someone. I do it in decent, spaceous locations.

I did not assault anyone, offend anyone, I basicly did not bother anyone whatsoever with my prayer, there is no excuse for someone to attack me.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
AbdurRahman.
06-07-2017, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by DunyaStory
My brother I respect your opinion, but I disagree a little bit. There are no mosques in my city. Should I never pray but only in my house ? I often pray in public, I dont do it in the middle of the road to bother someone. I do it in decent, spaceous locations.

I did not assault anyone, offend anyone, I basicly did not bother anyone whatsoever with my prayer, there is no excuse for someone to attack me.
couldn't you pray a bit far away from a man sitting in a bench?; that man probably thought you was taking the mick!
Reply

Bobbyflay23
06-07-2017, 10:30 PM
muhammad (saw) used to pray out in the open in Makkah and got beat up for it
Reply

DunyaStory
06-07-2017, 10:32 PM
You say Im doing it for wrong reason ?
Did I do it to alone for myself to provoce people?
I did it because
1. I ACTUALLY pray every day
2. 1.8 billion of muslims live in this world and I did it for every muslim that is going to pray in public, or think about praying in public
I thought good about it before I did it and I know I did it for good reason, I should not be attacked for praying in the middle of forest
Reply

Bobbyflay23
06-07-2017, 10:36 PM
I deleted this comment because i realized my comment was greatly influenced by abdullah aziz and my judgement was clouded because of it
Reply

Bobbyflay23
06-07-2017, 10:38 PM
Although it was a good video and I'm thankful for your effort and may allah reward you but don't go pray super close to people next time and stuff unless your in a neighbor hood like where I live where everyone's a aethist and or a gay rights supporter and super accepting to everything
Reply

Scimitar
06-07-2017, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by DunyaStory
Assalamu alaikum my brothers.
My name is Bruno, I converted to Islam 1 year ago. Few weeks ago I have started my youtube channel and I post some islam related videos.
So my friend and me went to film ''Praying in public'' social experiment ( since that kind of experiment is really popular on youtube).
We filmed prayer on 1st location without problem, but on second location some guy was sitting on a bench near me and while I was praying he was asking me what I'm doing and telling me to leave.
I ignored that and actually thought that it will just show that some people dont like the idea of muslim praying ( I live in christian catholic country).
But that same guy actually attacked me. We have everything on camera so I uploaded the video today to show to others what actually can happen to someone who is just praying in public, not hurting anyone.

https://youtu.be/OlizEEk-aJg
Just shared with the Dawah brothers from London UK - your vid may hit many more hits now in sh'Allah because they will see it, and they have viral channels and may make a response video to this which means you will reach many more people with your videos in sh'Allah.

Scimi
Reply

DunyaStory
06-07-2017, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by Scimitar
Just shared with the Dawah brothers from London UK - your vid may hit many more hits now in sh'Allah because they will see it, and they have viral channels and may make a response video to this which means you will reach many more people with your videos in sh'Allah.

Scimi
JazakAllah khair dear brother.
May Allah truly reward you for your help. I hope our brothers will see this video and get encouraged.
Reply

urkahnkhan
06-07-2017, 11:24 PM
Which country is this brother. I subscribed your channel. Keeping uploading.
Reply

keiv
06-07-2017, 11:43 PM
I don't see anything wrong with what he did. He didn't appear to be praying super close to anyone in the video. The other people on the bench, although were staring, minded their own business. The problem here isn't that they prayed in public, it's the fact that this chump walked up to someone in the middle of prayer and kicked them.

Just look at the dawah videos at the speakers corners. They call out the adhan and pray in public in a area with a lot of traffic..
Reply

Abz2000
06-08-2017, 12:23 AM
You have a right to pray to your Creator and He has more right and priority than anyone or thing else, I think the warped media image they have of Islam makes some of them hate you.
Abu Bakr used to pray in public as a form of dawah for Allah's sake despite the difficulties and people would gather to watch.

One thing I noticed though is that when you made prostration, you moved back......have you not been to a mosque since you accepted Islam?

.
Reply

Life_Is_Short
06-08-2017, 12:35 AM
Assalamu alaykum,

If the purpose of the social experiment is to guide people to Islam brother, as in give dawah than this is not the best way to go about it. Praying in public spaces isn't how the prophet gave dawah. You should instead talk with people in a friendly manner and let them know about Islam before maybe praying in front of them. You could have perhaps asked the man first if you could pray in the space if you suspected that he was getting angry.

Plus, a social experiment like that isn't really called for especially since Islam is already under public scrutiny due to recent events in England. People are angry & those that misunderstand Islam blame muslims and Islamic teachings.
Reply

Bosanac
06-08-2017, 02:44 AM
I was also going to reply with a similar notion that praying for a social experiment probably isn't a good idea, especially getting too close to someone to the point they feel uncomfortable. But once I saw the video, the attack was completely unprovoked. That's messed up.

What led to this? The clip is really short. Was there an argument before the prayer started?
Reply

Search
06-08-2017, 02:58 AM
:bism:

:sl:

I watched the video: The attack recorded is completely unprovoked.

I pray publicly in my office, and thankfully no one has ever said any words in the way of a concern or a negative opinion.

I am sorry that happened to you, brother. However, please do not engage in any type of physical altercation with anyone, however, even if should someone behave aggressively towards you; I understand that what the man did you is wrong, very wrong. That said, it is never a good idea to engage with another lest you become an aggressor or be perceived as such and then reported to the police and arrested.

As you may have reason to know more than anyone, a convert, our time is not the best of times to be a Muslim; we're as Muslims perceived collectively as subversive, evil, or alternatively enablers of terrorism even when that is not the case.

However, I'm glad that you're okay.

Best Wishes,

:wa:
Reply

azc
06-08-2017, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by DunyaStory
Assalamu alaikum my brothers.
My name is Bruno, I converted to Islam 1 year ago. Few weeks ago I have started my youtube channel and I post some islam related videos.
So my friend and me went to film ''Praying in public'' social experiment ( since that kind of experiment is really popular on youtube).
We filmed prayer on 1st location without problem, but on second location some guy was sitting on a bench near me and while I was praying he was asking me what I'm doing and telling me to leave.
I ignored that and actually thought that it will just show that some people dont like the idea of muslim praying ( I live in christian catholic country).
But that same guy actually attacked me. We have everything on camera so I uploaded the video today to show to others what actually can happen to someone who is just praying in public, not hurting anyone.

https://youtu.be/OlizEEk-aJg
:wa:

You can pray salah anywhere though but if praying in public causes fitnah, then preferably, be prayed in mosque or home.

I've prayed salah in public places.
e.g.
Bus stand, railway platform, road, roadside hotel, bus, school, running train, by river, bridge etc.
My late uncle prayed salah even in temple (Hindu worshipping place)

If you don't have masjid in your town then make a house as Masjid and pray salah in congregation.
Reply

azc
06-08-2017, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by AbdullahAziz
praying in public for a social experiment could be problematic for sincerity; prayer should be done only to please ALlah but obviously their is also a dual motive attached here

and unless necessary we shouldn't provoke the non-muslim; there is enough Islamaphobia as it is without us appearing to 'rub it in' to them so try to avoid public prayer unless very necessary

after all they are the indeginous people and original natives of this country so we should respect their feelings and sensetivities
He reminds us hazrat Abudar ghiffari RA who prayed salah in kaba before mushrikeen
Reply

Eric H
06-09-2017, 02:31 PM
Greetings and peace be with you DunyaStory;

You have come to an understanding that Allah saved you from dying in a car crash, and it seems as if Allah has a plan for your life, you are being called to do something. Pray for guidance to do the will of Allah, if you were meant to reach out to your angry attacker, then Allah may well place him in your path again. Pray that Allah will give you the words and action to do his will.

I watched the video, and the guy did seem angry with you. I have found in life that often people have a reason and right to be angry, but they often take their anger out on innocent people who have nothing to do with their problems. The chances are this angry man will know that he was in the wrong, there is even the chance that he might apologise if he saw you again.

The prophet, pbuh, always seemed to deal patiently and kindly with his adversaries, and in the end, this would win them over.

Tonight, I shall be wondering the streets until about 4 am with our Street Pastor team, we come into contact with a lot of drunk and angry people. We go out because we care about people, we listen and help when we can, all this depends on prayer first. I have been hit, and on occasions we get a lot of abuse, but we pray for a blessing on our enemies, we look for the good in all people. Everyone matters to God, and so everyone should matter to me also.

The idea of street pastors came about many years ago in Jamaica, a friend of a church minister was shot and killed by a gang of youths. After the funeral, the minister got together with a few parishioner's and they prayed for the gangs, these were kids living in poverty and on drugs. After praying for them, they went out to try and help these kids, but how do you reason with gangs of kids on drugs? They showed these kids kindness, they tried to help their problems, and the church had a profound affect on these troubled kids.

Just some rambling thoughts about how you might view your attacker.

Blessings,
Eric
Reply

Serinity
06-09-2017, 03:12 PM
:salam:

You were in your right to pray, and in your right to defend yourself.

And Allah :swt: knows best.
Reply

M.I.A.
06-09-2017, 08:03 PM
...your not exactly little guys are you OP?

Lovely bear hug there.

I have nothing more to contribute.
Reply

anatolian
06-09-2017, 08:41 PM
You should have smashed on his face as well... But I am not agree with this whole social experiment thing. There is a Heisenberg uncertainty principle in physics which states that you can never find fully correct answers in an experiment bc you effect the results by your own contribution to the experiment's itself. So, when your friend records it with a cam and if he did some other "suspicious" things also, this might have provoked that guy. Though, I cant speak for sure from here.
Reply

Bobbyflay23
06-10-2017, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by Eric H
Greetings and peace be with you DunyaStory;

You have come to an understanding that Allah saved you from dying in a car crash, and it seems as if Allah has a plan for your life, you are being called to do something. Pray for guidance to do the will of Allah, if you were meant to reach out to your angry attacker, then Allah may well place him in your path again. Pray that Allah will give you the words and action to do his will.

I watched the video, and the guy did seem angry with you. I have found in life that often people have a reason and right to be angry, but they often take their anger out on innocent people who have nothing to do with their problems. The chances are this angry man will know that he was in the wrong, there is even the chance that he might apologise if he saw you again.

The prophet, pbuh, always seemed to deal patiently and kindly with his adversaries, and in the end, this would win them over.

Tonight, I shall be wondering the streets until about 4 am with our Street Pastor team, we come into contact with a lot of drunk and angry people. We go out because we care about people, we listen and help when we can, all this depends on prayer first. I have been hit, and on occasions we get a lot of abuse, but we pray for a blessing on our enemies, we look for the good in all people. Everyone matters to God, and so everyone should matter to me also.

The idea of street pastors came about many years ago in Jamaica, a friend of a church minister was shot and killed by a gang of youths. After the funeral, the minister got together with a few parishioner's and they prayed for the gangs, these were kids living in poverty and on drugs. After praying for them, they went out to try and help these kids, but how do you reason with gangs of kids on drugs? They showed these kids kindness, they tried to help their problems, and the church had a profound affect on these troubled kids.

Just some rambling thoughts about how you might view your attacker.

Blessings,
Eric
Are you one of those christian muslims because it sounds like you believe in Muhammad(saw) or where u just calling him prophet (saw) out of respect for us
Reply

greenhill
06-10-2017, 01:13 PM
Personally, after reading the comments and stuff, I would go a bit further with the 'consideration' part of it. That the guy did ask you what you were doing? ...and he did ask you to go away. Two things that could have happened at that point (hindsight always provides alternatives), you could have struck a conversation with him (dakwah, perhaps?) or you found another place. But you didn't, so anything can happen or nothing can happen. Ignoring him entirely after that is most likely to provoke something. I can't say that he is entirely to blame, but the circumstances gave rise to the possibility of that situation.

What br. AbdullahAziz was alluding to was what I would have alluded to myself, seeing as he already said it, there is no point to restate it. But yes, you have explained yourself and I, and I am sure, he too, will understand.

May it get easier for you.


:peace:
Reply

DunyaStory
06-10-2017, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by greenhill
Personally, after reading the comments and stuff, I would go a bit further with the 'consideration' part of it. That the guy did ask you what you were doing? ...and he did ask you to go away. Two things that could have happened at that point (hindsight always provides alternatives), you could have struck a conversation with him (dakwah, perhaps?) or you found another place. But you didn't, so anything can happen or nothing can happen. Ignoring him entirely after that is most likely to provoke something. I can't say that he is entirely to blame, but the circumstances gave rise to the possibility of that situation.

What br. AbdullahAziz was alluding to was what I would have alluded to myself, seeing as he already said it, there is no point to restate it. But yes, you have explained yourself and I, and I am sure, he too, will understand.

May it get easier for you.


:peace:
Assalamu alaikum dear brother.
Why am I supposed to ask permission to pray in public place ? It is not private property. State laws allow me to do it, I did not disturb the peace or did anything else with criminal agenda.
How can you tell me to give dawah, he kicked/pushed me and attacked me when I got up. In my opinion he is entirely to blame...
Ty for response, Allah hafiz
Reply

greenhill
06-10-2017, 03:29 PM
Sorry.

I am not pushing any buttons here.

I am unable to see the link hence unable to 'read' the situation. I am just saying a point of view, not necessarily the only point, but a point not as yet brought up by others. The whole purpose of a forum really is to have a platform where all possible thought(s) or scenarios can be obtained, weighed, considered, so that we may be able to deal with matters that may come up in the future. To this, an objective and 'guided' feedback from members that is broad and giving different perspectives (between those who give, those who receive and those who witness, and further on down, those who hear.. ha ha ha) I have found this community really great. Alhamdulillah.

Perhaps, you could start a different kind of project. To get a community centre established.

As I said, I can only write. I know not of your situation.

May Allah make it easier for you.


:peace:
Reply

DunyaStory
06-10-2017, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by greenhill
Sorry.

I am not pushing any buttons here.

I am unable to see the link hence unable to 'read' the situation. I am just saying a point of view, not necessarily the only point, but a point not as yet brought up by others. The whole purpose of a forum really is to have a platform where all possible thought(s) or scenarios can be obtained, weighed, considered, so that we may be able to deal with matters that may come up in the future. To this, an objective and 'guided' feedback from members that is broad and giving different perspectives (between those who give, those who receive and those who witness, and further on down, those who hear.. ha ha ha) I have found this community really great. Alhamdulillah.

Perhaps, you could start a different kind of project. To get a community centre established.

As I said, I can only write. I know not of your situation.

May Allah make it easier for you.


:peace:
Ofcourse brother, Im just explaining myself :) No hard feelings are involved :)
Reply

Hamza Asadullah
06-11-2017, 02:02 AM
Originally Posted by DunyaStory
Assalamu alaikum my brothers.
My name is Bruno, I converted to Islam 1 year ago. Few weeks ago I have started my youtube channel and I post some islam related videos.
So my friend and me went to film ''Praying in public'' social experiment ( since that kind of experiment is really popular on youtube).
We filmed prayer on 1st location without problem, but on second location some guy was sitting on a bench near me and while I was praying he was asking me what I'm doing and telling me to leave.
I ignored that and actually thought that it will just show that some people dont like the idea of muslim praying ( I live in christian catholic country).
But that same guy actually attacked me. We have everything on camera so I uploaded the video today to show to others what actually can happen to someone who is just praying in public, not hurting anyone.

https://youtu.be/OlizEEk-aJg
Asalaamu Alaikum brother.

Having watched the video what I will say is that it is certainly very graphic and in making this "experimental" video public, my personal take on it is that it will only do more harm than good.

Firstly most Muslims in the west understand very well of the rise of ""Islamaphobia" and the fact that many attacks whether verbal or physical do take place especially following a terrorist attack. However your video was created primarily to invoke a reaction whether positive or negative. And also to create a "victim" mentality. The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) and his companions were constantly attacked verbally and physically throughout their lives but they never sought to have a "victim" mentality nor to scare others with what they were inflicted with but to encourage goodness when evil was done to them and to encourage others in a positive manner so people are attracted towards Islam.

Secondly and most importantly it will only instill fear into Muslims of praying in "public" if the need arises which often it may when one is out and about. So in showing such a graphic video a Muslim may look back at your video and fear of such an attack taking place which may cause many to skip their prayers if they fear any possible harm in doing so.

Also such an incident taking place is still rare (Alhamdulillah) and so is not something most of us should fear although we should always keep our wits about us especially in the current climate. Therefore my personal take on this is for you to remove the video and instead concentrate on encouraging others to pray in the first place whether private or "public if the need ever arises. And also to invite others towards good in enjoining good and forbidding evil.

As your a New Muslim you should also concentrate on inviting others to Islam rather than possibly scaring them off by posting such a graphic video. This is because there are a lot of people out there who know in their hearts that Islam is the truth but are on the fence due to many "fear" they may have about accepting Islam either due to family, friends and colleague reaction and nowadays what society will think of them being a Muslim and the last thing you want to do is instill another fear into their hearts of them being "attacked for being Muslim.

So whenever we publicise anything that will be seen by the masses then we certainly do need to think of what is more beneficial than harmful and I personally feel this is more harmful than good.

May Allah protect us all against the evil of Man and Jinn. Ameen
Reply

Bobbyflay23
06-11-2017, 02:25 AM
Nvm I switched to dm
Reply

DunyaStory
06-11-2017, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Hamza Asadullah
Asalaamu Alaikum brother.

Having watched the video what I will say is that it is certainly very graphic and in making this "experimental" video public, my personal take on it is that it will only do more harm than good.

Firstly most Muslims in the west understand very well of the rise of ""Islamaphobia" and the fact that many attacks whether verbal or physical do take place especially following a terrorist attack. However your video was created primarily to invoke a reaction whether positive or negative. And also to create a "victim" mentality. The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) and his companions were constantly attacked verbally and physically throughout their lives but they never sought to have a "victim" mentality nor to scare others with what they were inflicted with but to encourage goodness when evil was done to them and to encourage others in a positive manner so people are attracted towards Islam.

Secondly and most importantly it will only instill fear into Muslims of praying in "public" if the need arises which often it may when one is out and about. So in showing such a graphic video a Muslim may look back at your video and fear of such an attack taking place which may cause many to skip their prayers if they fear any possible harm in doing so.

Also such an incident taking place is still rare (Alhamdulillah) and so is not something most of us should fear although we should always keep our wits about us especially in the current climate. Therefore my personal take on this is for you to remove the video and instead concentrate on encouraging others to pray in the first place whether private or "public if the need ever arises. And also to invite others towards good in enjoining good and forbidding evil.

As your a New Muslim you should also concentrate on inviting others to Islam rather than possibly scaring them off by posting such a graphic video. This is because there are a lot of people out there who know in their hearts that Islam is the truth but are on the fence due to many "fear" they may have about accepting Islam either due to family, friends and colleague reaction and nowadays what society will think of them being a Muslim and the last thing you want to do is instill another fear into their hearts of them being "attacked for being Muslim.

So whenever we publicise anything that will be seen by the masses then we certainly do need to think of what is more beneficial than harmful and I personally feel this is more harmful than good.

May Allah protect us all against the evil of Man and Jinn. Ameen
Wa alaikum assalam brother.
May I ask you how does it make sense for you that my video is a bad idea( doing more harm then good) if it shows a true situation in Europe ?
As a new muslim I do my best to spread the message of Islam in my enviroment ( 100% christian country), you can see I did more videos about Islam and I plan to do much more.
The truth seems to be that some people in Europe may (obviously) attack you because you're muslim. How am I doing anything bad by sharing that ?
You are telling me that I will do more good if I hide the facts ?
I am open to all ideas and I will gladly do something that you , my brothers suggest me to do. If anyone wants to contact me with an idea I will gladly make a video about it
Reply

Eric H
06-11-2017, 06:58 PM
Greetings and peace be with you DunyaStory;

Here are a couple of images of Muslims praying in public, you might appreciate their faith.


https://www.google.co.uk/search?safe...=1497206791032

https://www.google.co.uk/search?safe...=1497206791032

In the spirit of praying to 'One God'

Eric
Reply

Hamza Asadullah
06-11-2017, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by DunyaStory
Wa alaikum assalam brother.
May I ask you how does it make sense for you that my video is a bad idea( doing more harm then good) if it shows a true situation in Europe ?
As a new muslim I do my best to spread the message of Islam in my enviroment ( 100% christian country), you can see I did more videos about Islam and I plan to do much more.
The truth seems to be that some people in Europe may (obviously) attack you because you're muslim. How am I doing anything bad by sharing that ?
You are telling me that I will do more good if I hide the facts ?
I am open to all ideas and I will gladly do something that you , my brothers suggest me to do. If anyone wants to contact me with an idea I will gladly make a video about it
Asalaamu Alaikum.

My brother what good is there in "provoking a response" and then when you get a response you then post it "look at what happened to me". So as to create a victim mentality and also scare other Muslims from praying in public. We Muslims in Europe are fully aware of the situation here and we know we must keep our wits about us but we are also aware that such an attack is not representative of the non Muslim communities and many non Muslims themselves would speak out and even intervene in such a situation.

As I said in my last post a Muslim and in particular a "daee" should weigh out the harms and benefits of each and every action and consider whether it will have more of a beneficial or harmful impact and I don't see anything beneficial about this video except to highlight there are very ignorant people out there but the harm is that it will scare Muslims from praying in public and also possibly push away non Muslims who are on the fence about reverting.

That's my personal take on it the rest is upto my brother.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-06-2014, 10:12 PM
  2. Replies: 37
    Last Post: 12-22-2009, 03:06 AM
  3. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 11-25-2008, 08:31 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-14-2007, 10:17 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-29-2006, 01:16 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!