/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ramadan 2017: Why are Tunisians protesting for the right not to fast?

Singularity
06-13-2017, 03:58 AM
http://www.newsweek.com/ramadan-2017...-spring-624260

WORLD
RAMADAN 2017: WHY ARE TUNISIANS PROTESTING FOR THE RIGHT NOT TO FAST?
BY CONOR GAFFEY ON 6/12/17 AT 7:30 AM
Armed with banners, placards and cigarettes, dozens of protesters gathered in the Tunisian capital Tunis on Sunday for the first-ever demonstration of its kind - the right not to fast for Ramadan.

The protesters, organized by the Mouch Bessif group—Arabic for “Not against our will”—demanded Tunisians be granted the right to break the Ramadan fast should they wish to do so. They also called for an end to the controversial arrests of non-fasters in the North African country, AFP reported.

Ramadan began on May 26 in Tunisia. During the holy month, Muslims are proscribed from several activities including eating, drinking, smoking, and having sexual intercourse during daylight hours.
A Tunisian protester smokes a cigarette and holds a placard reading in French: "Why is it bothering you? If you fast and I eat?" during a demonstration for the right to eat and smoke in public during the Muslim dawn-to-dusk fasting month of Ramadan in Tunis, Tunisia, on June 11. The issue has been an annual debate in Tunisia since the 2011 revolution.
SOFIENNE HAMDAOUI/AFP/GETTY

Tunisia is unique among Arab countries in that eating in public during Ramadan is not technically a crime, according to French newspaper Liberation, though it is still frowned upon. Tunisia’s population is 99 percent Sunni Muslim, and most cafes and restaurants in Tunisia remain closed during the day in Ramadan.

The country’s constitution —which was revised in 2014 following the 2011 Arab Spring protests, in which longtime president Zine El Abidine Ben Ali was ousted—guarantees freedom of belief and conscience and says the state must promote values of “moderation and tolerance.” But the constitution also gives the state the role of “guardian of religion.”

Earlier in June, a northern Tunisian court sentenced four men to one-month jail terms after they were caught eating and smoking in a public garden. The men were sentenced for “public indecency” after being arrested following complaints from neighbors. A spokesman for the prosecution, Chokri Lahmar, said it had been a “provocative act,” according to AFP.

At Sunday’s demonstration, a man smoked in public and held a banner that read: “Why does it bother you if you fast and I eat?” Others said they had joined the protest to demand the state do more to protect freedom of conscience, AFP reported.

The issue of fasting in Ramadan has arisen annually in Tunisia since the 2011 revolution, but Sunday was the first time protesters had taken to the streets. The Arab Spring protests, which affected multiple countries in the region, was catalyzed by the suicide of a Tunisian fruit vendor, Mohamed Bouazizi, who set himself alight in protest of alleged government harassment.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Simple_Person
06-13-2017, 05:34 AM
Muslims these days have become like sheep. They really have a negative mindset when it comes to Ramadan.

Many sleep the whole day and are awake during the night. They see Ramadan as a punishment. When seeing somebody eat or drink in their sight they see that as torture. This is because lack of imaan..or better said never even understand what imaan is. Because many of the culture-Muslims never even tasted imaan. As all they follow is rather a religion of their forefather not the religion of Allah.

I myself fast not because my own family fasts but because Allah has said I must fast. I am full of joy when Ramadan begins but I think there are Muslims that are even more full of joy and more full of imaan than me.

When people like that see somebody eat and drink they do not see any hardship.

The Muslims these days have made Islam a hardship in the eyes of people of other faiths.

If a Christian rather sees a Muslim fast with joy they might become amazed by ..how come somebody is abstaining from certain things and is even overjoyed doing so. While that same Christian when he sees a culture-Muslim see Ramadan as a hardship, that Christian will see Islam rather as a religion of hardship and illogical behavior.

So many of us Muslims have deviated what Islam and especially Ramadan is all about.

سيف الله
07-15-2017, 10:17 PM
Salaam

Call me paranoid but I wouldn't be surprised if these protestors are being funded by the globalists to undermine the Islamic fabric of the society. Perhaps George Soros is involved.

Freedom
07-16-2017, 08:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Junon
Salaam

Call me paranoid but I wouldn't be surprised if these protestors are being funded by the globalists to undermine the Islamic fabric of the society. Perhaps George Soros is involved.

Nah. Tunisia has been secular for a very long time.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.