/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 17-year-old Muslim girl abducted and killed on way home from Virginia mosque

Singularity
06-19-2017, 11:34 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/news/nabra-has...101455346.html

U.S.
Nabra Hassanen: 17-year-old Muslim girl abducted and killed on way home from Virginia mosque
Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith,The Independent 13 hours ago
A 17-year-old Muslim girl was assaulted, abducted and killed as she was travelling home in Virginia on Sunday, after attending her local mosque.

The girl, named locally as Nabra Hassanen of Reston, had been attending the All Dulles Area Muslim Society mosque in observance of the last 10 days of Ramadan when the attack happened in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Nabra was walking home from with several friends when they were confronted by a motorist. At one point the man got out of his car and assaulted the girl, according to police.

The teenagers scattered during the attack but were unable to find Nabra afterwards. She was reported missing to police, sparking an hours-long search by authorities in Fairfax and Loudon counties.

A body was found in a pond in the Sterling area at around 3pm. An autopsy is yet to be conducted by a medical examiner, but police believe the remains are of the missing teenager.

A 22-year-old man named Darwin Martinez Torres was stopped during the police search for “driving suspiciously in the area” and charged with murder, Fairfax County Police Department said.

Police have not ruled out hate as a motivation for the attack.

Detectives told Nabra’s mother that the teenager was struck with a metal bat, the Washington Post reported.

“I can’t think of a worse instance to occur than the loss of a 17-year-old on Father’s Day, as the father of a 17-year-old myself,” Michael Chapman, Sheriff of Loudoun County said.

Darwin Martinez Torres has been charged with murder (Fairfax County Police Department)
Arsalan Iftikhar, a human rights lawyer, told the newspaper the attack had sent fear through the Muslim community in northern Virginia: “People are petrified, especially people who have young Muslim daughters.”

A crowd-funding campaign to support the family of Nabra has already raised more than $115,700 (£90,300).

The number of anti-Muslim bias incidents in the United States jumped 57 per cent in 2016 to 2,213, up from 1,409 in 2015, the Council on American-Islamic Relations advocacy group said in a report last month.

While the group had been seeing a rise in anti-Muslim incidents prior to Donald Trump's stunning rise in last year's presidential primaries and November election victory, it said the acceleration in bias incidents was due in part to Mr Trump's focus on militant Islamist groups and anti-immigrant rhetoric.

Muslim worshippers were targeted in a suspected terror attack in London on Sunday night. One man was killed and eight others were injured when a van collided with pedestrians near a mosque in Finsbury Park, north London.

British counter terror police are investigating the incident.

Additional reporting by Reuters

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Zafran
06-19-2017, 11:45 PM
inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un

Sad news - God help the family.

Serinity
06-19-2017, 11:59 PM
Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un.

may Allah :swt: strengthen the family of the 17 year old. Ameen. I can't help but feel hatred towards the one's who do such things.

And Allah :swt: knows best.

Singularity
06-20-2017, 02:15 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/news/nabra-has...173508040.html

U.S.
Nabra Hassanen's father says she was '100%' killed for being Muslim
Emily Shugerman,The Independent 8 hours ago

The father of the murdered Muslim teenager Nabra Hassanen has said he believes his daughter was "100%" killed because of her faith, despite police ruling that it was not a hate crime.

Mohmoud Hassanen was asked by The Guardian if his daughter was killed "because she was Muslim". “I believe so, 100%," he replied. "In the McDonald’s there’s a lot of kids, a lot of people; why did he run behind this girl especially? For what?

“When I go to court I’m going to look him in the eye: why did you do this to my daughter? Then I’m going to forgive him and leave him to God’s face. The lord is going to judge him. He took my daughter’s life.”

The teenage girl was accosted by a passing motorist while leaving the International House of Pancakes early Sunday morning. The girl and her friends, who were dressed in traditional Muslim robes, had just finished their last meal of the day before their Ramadan fast.

Local police say the motorist got out of his car and began assaulting the teenager. Her friends ran for help at a local mosque, setting off an 11-hour police hunt for the missing girl.

While searching for Ms Hassanen, police officers saw Darwin Martinez Torres driving suspiciously and arrested him as a suspect, before charging him with murder.

The mosque, All Dulles Area Muslim Society (Adams), has called on law enforcement to determine the motive of the crime and “prosecute to the full extent of the law”.

“We are devastated and heartbroken as our community undergoes and processes this traumatic event,” it said in a statement.

Juvenile court officials, however, told The Independent that Martinez had not been charged with a hate crime. He appeared in court on Monday to face one count of second-degree murder.

The Fairfax County police also said they were not investigating the incident as a hate crime. Police department spokesperson Don Gotthardt told The Independent there was no indication that the crime was connected to Ms Hassanen’s religion, dress, or proximity to the mosque.

In a statement issued later that day, the police department attributed the incident to “road rage”.

“This tragic case appears to be the result of a road rage incident involving the suspect, who was driving and who is now charged with murder, and a group of teenagers who was walking and riding bikes in and along a roadway,” the department said.

The department that they would pursue any new information that indicated Hassanen had been targeted for her race or religion.

Martinez is currently being held without bail at the Fairfax County Adult Detention Centre. His preliminary hearing is scheduled for 19 July. It was not immediately clear whether he had entered a plea to the charges against him.

At a gathering with family and friends on Sunday night, the teenager’s mother, Sawsan Gazzar, asked them to “pray for me that I can handle this”.

“I lost my daughter, my first reason for happiness,” she said.

“I can’t think of a worse instance to occur than the loss of a 17-year-old on Father’s Day, as the father of a 17-year-old myself,” Loudoun County Sheriff Michael Chapman told reporters.

Adams Mosque said it plans to continue daily and nightly Ramadan prayers. The alleged attack occurred just six days before the end of the Islamic holy month.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Simple_Person
06-20-2017, 10:28 AM
Just because we do not live in a Muslim majority country, doesn't mean we should abandon Islamic rulings. What is she doing ALL ALONE in the middle of the night outside? Is a male guardian just for the sake of "beautifying" Islam? There is a reason why we in Islam have certain rulings. Do not abide by those rulings, you are on your own. Please do not say..ooh such hateful person or terrible person who has done that. Those people existed back then and will exist when we have left this world.

========Hadith=======
"Anas ibn Malik reported: A man said, “O Messenger of Allah, should I tie my camel and trust in Allah, or should I leave her untied and trust in Allah?” The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Tie her and trust in Allah.”"

Source used: http://dailyhadith.abuaminaelias.com...orldly-causes/
===================

What happened to our own effort? Follow the path of people of other faiths that do not have any rulings about a male guardian, well you are on your own.

======Hadith====

"You will most certainly follow the ways of those who came before you, arm's length by arm's length, forearm's length by forearm's length, hand span by hand span, until even if they entered a hole of a mastigure (lizard) you will enter it too. "They said:" o Messenger of Allah, (do you mean) the Jews and the Christians? "He said:" Who else? "

Source used: https://sunnah.com/ibnmajah/36/69
==============

No disrespect to my fellow Christian and Jewish brothers, but Islamic rulings are clear, yet we Muslims arrogantly want to treat them as some nonsense.

Serinity
06-20-2017, 11:18 AM
:salam:

Yes, sadly. Some muslims are too caught up in pleasing kufar that they cast away their deen, or shun its rulings.

May Allah :swt: guide us. Ameen.
Allahu alam.

Simple_Person
06-20-2017, 11:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serinity
:salam:

Yes, sadly. Some muslims are too caught up in pleasing kufar that they cast away their deen, or shun its rulings.

May Allah :swt: guide us. Ameen.
Allahu alam.

I rather think it is this..

"Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" and they will not be tried?" Qur'an 49:2
"But We have certainly tried those before them, and Allah will surely make evident those who are truthful, and He will surely make evident the liars." Qur'an 49:3

Just recently i noticed something else. A Christian brother (Jason) that just joined this forum, brought something to my attention. He said in the past that he really was preoccupied what other people might think of him. However one must choose between following the path of truth (standing up against injustice or corruption for example) OR go along with the masses and do not say anything against injustice/corruption.

Many Muslims also rather choose not the path of "kuffar", but of the people. Because in even Muslim majority countries, people with the SAME exact mentality exist. They rather think about what might the neighbor think of them, instead of what might Allah think of them.

Singularity
06-22-2017, 05:48 AM
http://thehill.com/homenews/news/338...ed-muslim-teen

Thousands turn out for funeral of murdered Muslim teen
BY JOHN BOWDEN - 06/21/17 10:12 PM EDT 136
Thousands turn out for funeral of murdered Muslim teen
© Getty Images
Thousands of members of Washington D.C.'s Muslim community attended the funeral of Nabra Hassanen, 17, on Wednesday.

Hassanen, a Muslim-American teenager was murdered early Sunday morning in what investigators called a "road-rage incident."

More than 5,000 people honored Hassanen at her funeral in Sterling, Virginia on Wednesday. The news of Hassanen's murder has sparked both sorrow and outrage, as many view the incident as a hate crime that could have happened to other Muslim teenagers.

"My daughter is 17 years old and she didn't know Nabra, but another friend knew her. And I think my daughter is in the same situation. She is wearing hijab and goes to another mosque," one Muslim resident told CNN.

According to NBC News, Hassanen and several other Muslim teens were heading home from a local mosque after Ramadan services when they were confronted by Darwin Martinez Torres, 22. The other teens fled but Hassanen was caught and beaten to death by Torres, police say.

Torres, a resident of El Salvador, was detained by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents Monday after reports indicated he was in the country illegally

Police say they haven't ruled out hate crime charges, but do not yet have any evidence to believe Hassanen was targeted due to her religion.

keiv
06-22-2017, 09:03 AM
So the girls were walking home after eating out, a man chases one of them down, beats her to death, dumps her body in a pond, and this gets labeled as a "road-rage incident"? :facepalm:

RizwanAli
06-22-2017, 09:16 AM
Sorry to hear that..

my condolences..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.