/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Praying in scruffy clothes

anonymous
06-20-2017, 01:45 AM
Salam

This is something that's playing on on my mind. Recently I had a discussion with a brother who insisted we should wear our best clothes in salah. The discussion came about as I often head straight to the mosque after a long walk or taking part in some sport. Inevitably the clothes can get dirty such as stains . I've always been of the opinion that it's not a fashion show it's an act of worship so why does clothes matter. The. Brother was quite stubborn and insisted we should wear special clothes which I found strange . anyone have any opinion on this?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hamza Asadullah
06-20-2017, 06:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
Salam

This is something that's playing on on my mind. Recently I had a discussion with a brother who insisted we should wear our best clothes in salah. The discussion came about as I often head straight to the mosque after a long walk or taking part in some sport. Inevitably the clothes can get dirty such as stains . I've always been of the opinion that it's not a fashion show it's an act of worship so why does clothes matter. The. Brother was quite stubborn and insisted we should wear special clothes which I found strange . anyone have any opinion on this?
:sl:

There is nothing wrong with wearing clothes that are pure and does not have impurities on them and that they cover ones awrah. Also when going to the Masjid one should ensure that the clothes are appropriate. Like for example has not got inappropriate images and statements on the clothing.

With regards to wearing ones best clothes when going to the Masjid to pray then it is not about "fashionable" clothes or a designer label etc. But one's best. new, clean clothes. This this is due to the fact that firstly Allah loves that which is clean and beautiful. Secondly if we make an effort to dress neatly when going to a job interview, wedding, meeting with an important person etc then why should we not make even more of an effort when we are going to meet with our very creator. The one who created us and everything around us?

Is he less deserving of us to make less of an effort when go and meet with him at the Masjid? When we go to the Masjid we must be aware in our minds that we are going to meet with our creator. We are going into his house.

Even if we are at home we should try and get into our good clothes when praying as this also affects our mindset when praying. Firstly when we are well presented and make an effort to look clean and neat etc then this also impacts positively on our mind set as we will be aware that we are going to do an important act now and go and meet the most important one of all our creator the master of the Universe the majestic and superior one. This will enable us to pray with more humility and concentration and with meekness and servitude as were praying to the most high and most honoured one and the one who is most deserving our of best efforts when we go and meet with him and stand in front of him.

I hope that clears up things.

sister herb
06-20-2017, 07:03 PM
I agree that clothes should to be clean and suitable but no need to wear the latest fashion, if OP meant this.

azc
06-20-2017, 07:38 PM
If the clothes cause any fitnah or show off or attract others then wear simple clothes.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
anonymous
07-04-2017, 08:18 PM
What if you pray in filthy smelly stained clothingI that you also sleep in

What if you also don't Wear underwear ever disgusting I know but wear same clothes on for weeks on end

DISGUSTING I know

Hamza Asadullah
07-04-2017, 10:31 PM

What if you also don't Wear underwear ever disgusting I know but wear same clothes on for weeks on end

DISGUSTING I know
:sl:

Would we attend a job interview like that? Or a wedding or family function? Then why is it we are "ok" with dressing however we want when we face the Master of the Universe, the most high, the majesty of honour and generosity?

Is our Lord less deserving that we should make an effort to dress our best when we face him and converse with him?

When we face Allah on the day of Judgement and those of us who are lucky enough to see his countenance (his beautiful face) in Jannah, that is when we will realise how deserving he is of our utmost effort in prayer and in his glorification and Worship.

We should be ashamed of ourselves.

LaSorcia
07-05-2017, 12:13 AM

DISGUSTING I know
If a poor person is wearing their best clothes, even though everyone around them has on something much, much better... it's still their best clothes. In that case the test is to focus on Allah and not be self-conscious.

sister herb
07-05-2017, 01:55 PM

DISGUSTING I know
If someone prays with kind of condition of his clothes beside of you, you should ask why, not pinching your nose and call it disgusting. Maybe he has only those clothes, maybe he has no home where to wash his clothes more often or job but he wants to come to pray anyways. Or he might have some other problems which have made him to lost the control of his life. Make your best to help him, donĀ“t only judge him.

Hamza Asadullah
07-05-2017, 05:26 PM
I think it's very obvious that if a person does not have the means to buy clothes or wash clothes then there is no blame on them. But from what I can understand from the context of the question posed by anonymous is to mean by praying in filthy clothes out of laziness etc and not poverty. Unless they can clarify further.

anonymous
07-05-2017, 08:12 PM
The context of the original post was that on friend insists on wearing best clothes as it is in his opinion more rewarding to wear the'best possible clothes for salah moreso because it was Ramadan.

Hamza Asadullah
07-05-2017, 08:40 PM
The context of the original post was that on friend insists on wearing best clothes as it is in his opinion more rewarding to wear the'best possible clothes for salah moreso because it was Ramadan.
I was referring to the second anonymous question about wearing filthy stained clothes for weeks for prayer. The first OP question has been answered inshaAllah

azc
07-07-2017, 06:14 PM
What if you pray in filthy smelly stained clothingI that you also sleep inWhat if you also don't Wear underwear ever disgusting I know but wear same clothes on for weeks on endDISGUSTING I know
praying salah in dirty clothes which smell bad is disliked

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.