/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A muslimah with hobbies that aren't permitted in Islam

javeria.iqbal
07-09-2017, 08:31 AM
Salam..
I'm a 22 yo Muslim girl from Pakistan. I have multiple hobbies and I can't do much about them because a lot of them are forbidden in Islam.
1)I have always been good at drawing. Islam forbids you to draw faces and I used to love drawing portraits. I get requests from people to draw them and when I say I wouldn't because it isn't allowed, I'm bombarded with salty remarks about how I'm not that good a Muslim anyway and do a lot of stuff I shouldn't do, so might as well draw them too...^o):facepalm:

4)I have brilliant expressions. I was always chosen to perform important roles in school plays by my teachers because I was so good. Due to my conservative family, I cannot act on large scale because that would mean facing huge masses which isn't allowed.

6)I also love music. I love to sing and listen to music. I don't have a good voice so I might not have been able to become a singer anyway so I wouldn't blame religious restrictions on that one but I listen to music and indulge in daydreaming to compensate for the stuff that I love but cannot do, all the whilst knowing this is wrong too but I'm just obsessed. I listen to music most of the time with this guilty feeling at the back of my head. :astag:
7)I LOVE DOGS:love:! I LOVE THEM SO MUCH THEY TAKE UP 50% OF THE SPACE ON MY CELLPHONE.:wub: Cannot own one because they're considered impure. They have so much love to give and I have so much love to give to them but this is a dream that would never come true without costing me blessings and the angels.
I don't know what to do. I feel depressed because most of what I absolutely love and talents I am blessed with are impermissible to cash out on.
What can I do?:cry::anyone:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
azc
07-09-2017, 09:09 AM
What do you want..? If you dislike these hobbies (I doubt though) then leave or if you love these hobbies (this is why you do) then keep on doing. Who can stop you...???

javeria.iqbal
07-09-2017, 10:28 AM
How can one possibly 'dislike' a hobby? I love whatever I stated. None of it is allowed though. Needed advice on what to do.

Simple_Person
07-09-2017, 10:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by javeria.iqbal
How can one possibly 'dislike' a hobby? I love whatever I stated. None of it is allowed though. Needed advice on what to do.
I love to play a certain instrument, i have a natural talent to dance my cultural dance, however i say for the sake of Allah i give up those things that Allah has made forbidden. That is the test for Muslims, give up for the sake of Allah what Allah has dislikes. Was it easy to give up those things? Without a doubt. How come? Because those will not benefit me whatsoever and i have SOO MANY other things that i CAN do.

If you pursue what is in your heart, whatever that might be, that shows what you find important. So for you giving up all those things that you love, shows that your love for Allah is much greater than those things. If you do not give up those things for the sake of Allah, it shows that your love for those things is greater than your love for Allah.

While logically speaking it is fairly easy and all. Being able to dance, act, listen to music, draw etc..what will it benefit you in your grave? I say it will rather harm me in the grave, so without a second thought i gave up and i do not even feel the urge of wanting it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
STN
07-09-2017, 03:59 PM
Assalam-u-Alaikum sister,

In response to this
when I say I wouldn't because it isn't allowed, I'm bombarded with salty remarks about how I'm not that good a Muslim anyway and do a lot of stuff I shouldn't do, so might as well draw them too...
I can relate to this, i am from Pakistan too and this attitude is i guess deep rooted in our culture. You will never get praise for your good deeds but actually get shamed if you try to stop yourself from doing a bad deed. But don't listen to these type of people even if they're your family, if you can stop one bad deed for fear of Allah then you should.

As far the rest of your post is concerned, sister! you are too young. I am 28 years old now and i can tell you Shaytaan was toying with me when i was 22 years old (i will not go into details for not mentioning sins is better). All the things you mentioned that seem so good to you are nothing more than lust and illusions of happiness, yes you yearn for them, you lust for them and they seem bigger than life to you but trust me, they are nothing more than an illusion, you can never find happiness in them and you will only displease Allah. I am grateful to Allah that i lived to where i am at now, at a position where i have asked for Allah's forgiveness but even now, the temptations are strong but i know that these are just tricks of the devil. At least, you are worried and posting here so you know they are very wrong.

All of the things you mentioned seem so lustrous to you because that's what the media portrays to you. It's not forever and your life isn't guaranteed, if you died committing these bad deeds, you're ruined forever. Sure, there is momentarily pleasure in it but it isn't lasting and you will do sin after sin and even bigger sins to fulfill your continuous desires and quest to find "fun" there is no peace of mind in it, no content.

So ask for help from Allah and find other hobbies. You don't know what Allah has graced you with until you try. Maybe you are good at preaching Islam to non-muslims, maybe you have a good memory and can learn Holy Quran by heart.

Also you should know that our survival rate in Pakistan is far lower than any other country thanks to bomb blasts, polluted water and other calamities that are a norm in Pakistan. Are you really willing to risk your eternity for momentarily pleasures when you could have the life of Jannah forever if you submit your will to Allah (SWT).

MuhammadHamza1
07-09-2017, 05:14 PM
The reward that Allah holds if you leave these things,
Will please you greatly when you see it.
For verily,leaving these habits will be Jihad on your part.And an effort to purify yourself.
And Allah loves those who purify themselves.(Al-Quran 2:222)

Hamza Asadullah
07-10-2017, 03:40 AM
Salam..
I'm a 22 yo Muslim girl from Pakistan. I have multiple hobbies and I can't do much about them because a lot of them are forbidden in Islam.
1)I have always been good at drawing. Islam forbids you to draw faces and I used to love drawing portraits. I get requests from people to draw them and when I say I wouldn't because it isn't allowed, I'm bombarded with salty remarks about how I'm not that good a Muslim anyway and do a lot of stuff I shouldn't do, so might as well draw them too...^o):facepalm:

4)I have brilliant expressions. I was always chosen to perform important roles in school plays by my teachers because I was so good. Due to my conservative family, I cannot act on large scale because that would mean facing huge masses which isn't allowed.

6)I also love music. I love to sing and listen to music. I don't have a good voice so I might not have been able to become a singer anyway so I wouldn't blame religious restrictions on that one but I listen to music and indulge in daydreaming to compensate for the stuff that I love but cannot do, all the whilst knowing this is wrong too but I'm just obsessed. I listen to music most of the time with this guilty feeling at the back of my head. :astag:
7)I LOVE DOGS:love:! I LOVE THEM SO MUCH THEY TAKE UP 50% OF THE SPACE ON MY CELLPHONE.:wub: Cannot own one because they're considered impure. They have so much love to give and I have so much love to give to them but this is a dream that would never come true without costing me blessings and the angels.
I don't know what to do. I feel depressed because most of what I absolutely love and talents I am blessed with are impermissible to cash out on.
What can I do?:cry::anyone:
:wa:

My sister it is praiseworthy that you know it is wrong in your heart to do the things you have mentioned because unfortunately today many people people in our societies justify the wrong things in some way or another. They say "Why be so extreme" etc. What they do not realise is that one evil leads to another. But you can easily fine tune what you have listen to make it permissible and within the boundaries of Islam. If you give up an evil for the pleasure of Allah then you feel feel the sweetness of imaan in your heart.

It is shaythan and our nafs (inner desires) that says to us "Its ok you carry on doing that there is no harm in it". But shaythan knows that one step leads to another. If he can get us to make one step towards evil then the remaining steps are easier. That is why we should avoid each step that leads to any evil deed or act.

1. Just remember sister:

Drawing pictures of animate objects is impermissible and falls under the severe warning mentioned in the Hadith of Rasūlullāh (SallAllāhu ‘Alayhi Wasallam):
“The most severely punished of people in the presence of Allah are the picture-makers.” (Bukhārī and Muslim, Mishkāt al-Masābīh, 4495)

So why continue doing that which will neither give us any happiness, peace or blessings but burden us with sin and darkness in our lives. Therefore instead draw inanimate objects such as the sky, rivers, sunsets, lakes, the sea, beaches, coastline, mountains etc. So you do not have to stop drawing, just change what you are drawing!

2. My sister you only need to look at the celebrity world and realise they are the most unhappiest people but they are falsely projected on the media so that they are the envy of all. You can see for yourself in Pakistani drama's how the women have to act intimately with other men and get up close and personal with them. The acting world is known to be a very sleazy and you will know doubt be made to act intimately with other strange men and sell your soul and Deen in the process. So my sister use your talents in the right way so as to benefit your community and other sisters out there. Join a sisters circle, group, volunteer in the community and in charities and get involved in the work of dawah to other sisters. This is how you can use your expressive talents to help benefit others and be rewarded immensely in the process inshaAllah.

3. How can your heart ever be content with doing something that is harming you? This "guilty feeling" is clear indication that you are torturing your soul by listening to Music. Again you only have to look into the music world to realise what evil is prevalent in such an industry. Most Music artists along with actors sell their souls to shaythan who deceives them into thinking they will be "rich and famous" when in reality they have sold their deen and ruined themselves.

Music is strictly forbidden in Islam. Allah says in the Qur’an:

There are those amongst men who purchase vain speech without knowledge, to mislead from the Path of Allah and throw ridicule on (the Path). For them there is a humiliating chastisement. (Luqman;6)

Hasan al-Basri (Ra) stated that this verse was revealed in relation to singing and musical instruments.

The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: "There will come people in my Ummah, who will make adultery, silk, alcohol, and musical instruments permissible, Allah will change them into monkeys and swine.” (Abu Dawood)

My sister our biggest aim as Muslims are to die with Imaan. Believe me sister there are Muslims out there who that on their death bed they were not able to say the Shahada but instead the music lyrics they loved were on their lips. Imagine being on our death bed and we are not able to say the shahahda but sing the music we loved? What a terrible death that would be.

4. My sister one can keep a dog in some circumstances but we must realise that there is always a wisdom behind every prohibition. Firstly dogs are inherently impure and secondly one will naturally get attached to a dog and spend much of ones time with a dog which means less time on the more important matters in life. Dogs do not live as long as humans therefore a person may lose several dogs in ones life and to lose a dog one was attached to may cause as much grief as losing a human relative. When we spend our time on the wrong things then we get an attachment to them in our minds. We day dream and "fantasize" and create scenario's in our minds. But my sister this is not reality. This is a dream world we have created for ourselves and there is no good in this. Once we start living our lives to please Allah then we will naturally incline towards that which pleases Allah.

Therefore my sister we need to look at the bigger picture and realise our time in this dunya is very short. The time we have and are wasting doing evil and the wrong things will be a source of huge regret for us on the day of Judgement when we finally realise that we wasted our entire lives following our desires when we should have invested into the Hereafter and spent our lives pleasing Allah.

So my sister as I stated earlier on it is about honing our talents, gifts, skills and attributes that Allah has given us all and using them to benefit ourselves and others for the pleasure of Allah. This is true success. We all have the ability to make such a positive impact on our families, friends, communities and even mankind. We all have the ability to leave a legacy behind that will impact people even after we are gone. Therefore use what you have been given in the right way in order to benefit mankind and please Allah. Learn to recite the Qur'an in a beautiful manner and learn the deeper meanings and implement it in your life. Connect with the Qur'an, learn it and teach it to other sisters. Learning and teaching the Qur’an are among the noblest and best of good deeds, because the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “The best of you are those who learn the Qur’an and teach it.” (Bukhaari (5027)

Learn the deen. Become an Aalimah so you can teach the next generation of sisters about Islam. Become something that will benefit others. This is what will give you true happiness, contentment and peace in your heart and soul. There are so many poor in Pakistan, so there is much you and me can do in our communities to help the poor and be of benefit to mankind. Look at Eidi. Many think they can never achieve what he has. But why limit yourself? As Muslims we should never put limits on ourselves. Anything is possible as long as we have goals, ambitions and the desire to do the best we can in order to benefit others to please Allah. We should aim high and be ambitious and be the best we can be. So be the best you can be of good, not evil or wrong.

By doing good we will feel peace, blessings and happiness in our lives but by doing evil we will not feel peace, contentment or happiness and our hearts and souls will not be at peace. This feeling of guilt will remain within us until w are so used to doing evil that we will not even feel guilt anymore but numbness. Our enemy shaythan wants us to destroy ourselves and to do that which will lead us to harm. Therefore we must go towards that which will benefit us and others and most of all please Allah. In reality we are wasting and misusing our gifts, talents, skills and attributes by doing evil and wrong things. But by doing good for the benefit of others solely for the pleasure of Allah then we are using our gifts, talents, skills and attributes in the best way and manner possible.

May Allah enable us to use our talents, gifts, skills and attributes to be the best we can be in order to benefit others solely for the pleasure of Allah. Ameen

Abz2000
07-10-2017, 07:04 AM
Salam..
What exactly are you expecting to achieve from your post and rhetorical statements about how suppressive you think (or want people to think) Allah who created people, gave you form, good guidance, and ability - is?

You appear to have a prejudged blanket opinion on the matter, so again, what reply do you expect?

Maybe become a sketch artist for an islamically sound police force.

Again, a prejudged blanket opinion without context, are you referring to lawful Islamic acting in a modest environment or are you referring to those environments where the sick male directors misuse the meat, the fellow actors seduce, and the remainder pant?

There are many decent Islamic shows in Pakistan where women aren't misused as a tool for decadence, maybe look into it.

Are you dangling sweeties at us now? There is good reason to look carefully at the ahadith regarding music holistically and logically since it is clear that some major and well respected logically sound scholars have looked into the claims critically and have come to more realistic and true conclusions. Drums are musical instruments and so are tambourines, but then there are threads on the topic and there is no need to start (or provoke) a new debate on this thread.

I used to feel like taking drugs (which I did a lot sometimes), I used to feel like stealing those cute gummy bears when I didn't have enough money, and jumping over the gate at the tube station (which I did sometimes when I was just out of my teens), I used to get a hardon when I saw hillary clinton on t.v (when she was younger), oh, why are the angels so strict..... puhleez let's leave such cuddly emotional diatribes and stop pushing people into undue despair and kufr.

I don't know what to do. I feel depressed because most of what some sick Godless people attempt to entice me to do in order to corrupt my fitrah and make me logically confused and slowly degenerated - is evil, and last night the radiation was so bad that my head heated up and it felt as if some capillaries burst in my brain and warm blood poured out, and now my head is throbbing and i feel pain and heat in that region (although the explosion a few years back was bigger and more painful after a full night of pushing haraam at me), and i feel like i want to climb out of all the shallow basic instincts that pull me down in a haraam way and i want to use the talents I am blessed with to do those things which please my creator and sustainer who has been kind enough to give me guidance to follow which will give me, my future generations, and those around me who seek to do the same, success in this life and supreme success in the afterlife if i am able to implement it, and i want to abstain from those things which are are impermissible and i think "to cash out on" is a false positive construct when used to describe that which is unlawful.

What can I do?:cry::anyone
If you want a hug, I'm not the person you'll get it from, but here's some good advice for readers including myself.

gambaumar
07-10-2017, 03:00 PM
Do you want jannah for free? Gotta work for it. This is your test

STN
07-10-2017, 04:00 PM
@Abz2000 Jazāk Allāhu Khayran brother for the video by Nouman Ali Khan, made me so scared and sounded so true to my own situation. May Allah guide us to the straight path and make us be of the people that Allah is most pleased with, Ameen

Ahshan
09-23-2021, 10:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Simple_Person
I love to play a certain instrument, i have a natural talent to dance my cultural dance, however i say for the sake of Allah i give up those things that Allah has made forbidden. That is the test for Muslims, give up for the sake of Allah what Allah has dislikes. Was it easy to give up those things? Without a doubt. How come? Because those will not benefit me whatsoever and i have SOO MANY other things that i CAN do.

If you pursue what is in your heart, whatever that might be, that shows what you find important. So for you giving up all those things that you love, shows that your love for Allah is much greater than those things. If you do not give up those things for the sake of Allah, it shows that your love for those things is greater than your love for Allah.

While logically speaking it is fairly easy and all. Being able to dance, act, listen to music, draw etc..what will it benefit you in your grave? I say it will rather harm me in the grave, so without a second thought i gave up and i do not even feel the urge of wanting it.
Assalamu'Alaikum. I think I found a slight error in writing, you wrote " what Allah has dislikes" to my understanding it will be "what Allah dislikes" without the has. Just wanted to point out. I am not English expert but let me know if you have a better explanation. We must be utmost careful when we write about Allah (subhanahu wa ta'ala)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.