/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Desperate Career Advice

ahmed57
07-09-2017, 07:01 PM
As Salamu alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.
I signed up on this forum desperate for opinions and for help. Here's my sticky situation in a nutshell.
I'm an engineering graduate very recently out of college. I got a job at one of the big four audit, accounting, and advisory firms as an Associate Software Engineer. Coming to the part I'm very doubtful and apprehensive about, this job could involve me working in one of banking, insurance or wealth management domains. And since all these are finance related, I'm pretty sure there's going to some sort of riba related activity to it. And thus, I'm very apprehensive of taking up the job. I can't risk my income being haram. Just the thought of that makes me shudder.
Until a few days back, I had no other alternative or a different job I could take up. So, I was planning on working there for about an year, gain some experience and in sha Allah move to an Islamic country and hopefully find a halal source of income. Lots of ifs and buts there.
I've been praying hard that Allah helps me find a job where my earning would be halal.
And, Alhamdulillah, I recently went to a local Madrasa and looked at what all they do. And to my surprise, not only do they teach the kids Quran, memorisation and all that, they impart very good worldly education as well, and they have some really good projects they plan on undertaking very soon. We talked quite a bit and they happened to mention that they would love to have an engineer join their team. I said I'd be delighted to join them.
Here's what's bugging me now, if I do join, I'd probably not be working on anything that would help in the future if I have to work elsewhere. And the pay, it's significantly lesser that what I'd be earning at the advisory I mentioned.

What do I do, any advice would be gladly welcome.
Jazakallahu khairan in advance.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hamza Asadullah
07-10-2017, 03:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ahmed57
As Salamu alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.
I signed up on this forum desperate for opinions and for help. Here's my sticky situation in a nutshell.
I'm an engineering graduate very recently out of college. I got a job at one of the big four audit, accounting, and advisory firms as an Associate Software Engineer. Coming to the part I'm very doubtful and apprehensive about, this job could involve me working in one of banking, insurance or wealth management domains. And since all these are finance related, I'm pretty sure there's going to some sort of riba related activity to it. And thus, I'm very apprehensive of taking up the job. I can't risk my income being haram. Just the thought of that makes me shudder.
Until a few days back, I had no other alternative or a different job I could take up. So, I was planning on working there for about an year, gain some experience and in sha Allah move to an Islamic country and hopefully find a halal source of income. Lots of ifs and buts there.
I've been praying hard that Allah helps me find a job where my earning would be halal.
And, Alhamdulillah, I recently went to a local Madrasa and looked at what all they do. And to my surprise, not only do they teach the kids Quran, memorisation and all that, they impart very good worldly education as well, and they have some really good projects they plan on undertaking very soon. We talked quite a bit and they happened to mention that they would love to have an engineer join their team. I said I'd be delighted to join them.
Here's what's bugging me now, if I do join, I'd probably not be working on anything that would help in the future if I have to work elsewhere. And the pay, it's significantly lesser that what I'd be earning at the advisory I mentioned.

What do I do, any advice would be gladly welcome.
Jazakallahu khairan in advance.
:sl:

My brother to involve ourselves in Riba is to live a life in war against Allah. Alhamdulillah to join an Islamic school is a wonderful thing and how can you say you would not be of benefit to them or the people studying their? Of course you will as the children studying there require a worldly education and I am sure you will do a lot to benefit the school as time goes on with various things. Especially as you get more and more involved. Surely it is shaythan putting these doubts into your head and convincing you not to join because he knows it will be a source of great reward for you inshaAllah.

My brother worry not about the money. Would you rather get good money from involving yourself in haraam and living a life devoid of peace, blessings and contentment or a decent wage from benefiting the next generation of Muslims and an Islamic school progress and move forward? Its a no brainer!

talibilm
07-10-2017, 04:46 AM
:sl:

Quality of Halal is must than quantity (haram etc) so a little earnings with barakah will be the most important for a devout Muslim , Haram food or food from haram earnings nullify our ibadha for 40 days is known from hadith.

Life is just a test ( sura 67:2 ) so this a test of Allah for you. The steadfast with sabr on the haq are the winners in both the worlds

ahmed57
08-17-2017, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the reply brothers.
If I was to join and I'm made to work on something that involves riba, would it be okay if I just worked there for experience and not use the salary I'm paid there? I have an alternate source of income from my business and I'll make ends meet with that In sha Allah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
piXie
08-17-2017, 04:40 PM
:wasalamex

format_quote Originally Posted by ahmed57
Thanks for the reply brothers.
If I was to join and I'm made to work on something that involves riba, would it be okay if I just worked there for experience and not use the salary I'm paid there?
It's all haram brother :facepalm:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.