/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A question for brothers and sisters residing in Europe

Patrick84
07-15-2017, 04:36 AM
Assalaamu-alaykum

I just recently married a Muslim woman in America who lived in Paris for a number of years before she met me. Alhamdulillah our marriage is going very well.

However, there are a couple of issues which I thought would be best answered by someone from Europe with Islamic understanding and understanding of European culture (preferably French).

In French culture men and women embrace each other and kiss each other when they greet. I have advised my wife that these are un-Islamic practices and should be avoided as Islam takes precedence over French or European culture. I asked the simple question, would the Mother of Muslims, Aisha greet other men like this?

Her explanation is:
a. they are "air kisses" so the lips don't actually touch the cheeks
b. it is weird if she suddenly backed away
c. it is their culture so it is rude for us not to
d. there is no haram intention
e. sometimes they just come at you and catch you by surprise

Could you please advise the Islamic position on this and how does she go about avoiding this situation? What have the sisters here done to avoid this type of situation? What do you do and say to avoid? I would like this cleared up before we go to Europe and meet her friends.

I really would appreciate your response.

Jazak Allah Khair.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sister herb
11-01-2017, 11:39 AM
Yes, Muslims have to obey the law of the land but how do you greet others is not a law, it´s a cultural habit. Not everyone has to follow all cultural habits, not even if you live in your own culture. It´s same like greet other with shaking hands but there is no law you have to do so. People can greet also with other ways and also explain why they don´t shake hands (because of the religious reasons).

I am wondering do Muslims in France really greet the opposite gender with this "greeting kiss" or what ever it is called.

cinnamonrolls1
11-01-2017, 06:24 PM
Salam. they do this in morocco too and iv awkwardly had to back away lol. But yes its cultural so not a required thing.

Supernova
11-01-2017, 06:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Patrick84
Assalaamu-alaykum

I just recently married a Muslim woman in America who lived in Paris for a number of years before she met me. Alhamdulillah our marriage is going very well.

However, there are a couple of issues which I thought would be best answered by someone from Europe with Islamic understanding and understanding of European culture (preferably French).

In French culture men and women embrace each other and kiss each other when they greet. I have advised my wife that these are un-Islamic practices and should be avoided as Islam takes precedence over French or European culture. I asked the simple question, would the Mother of Muslims, Aisha greet other men like this?

Her explanation is:

Could you please advise the Islamic position on this and how does she go about avoiding this situation? What have the sisters here done to avoid this type of situation? What do you do and say to avoid? I would like this cleared up before we go to Europe and meet her friends.

Jazak Allah Khair.
Asalaamualaykum - Just to clarify (before I give a full response ) After the embracing is it a kiss or an air kiss ? In your perspectiveyou mentioned "kiss" in her explanation she said "air kiss".

Also - Do you and your wife now reside in America ?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
RisingLight
11-02-2017, 02:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Patrick84
Assalaamu-alaykum

Her explanation is:

Jazak Allah Khair.

I just wanted to say that yes,what she says its true.Thats how stuff are in some european countries.In my country we do it between muslim men too.Though we dont kiss or touch cheeks,we just touch the head once in both sides :)...

Btw if her friends are muslims they wont do that to a man.And if they arent muslims they might even give you a hug.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.