/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Questions from an atheist about Heaven & Hell

L a n a
07-16-2017, 01:33 AM
Hi forum,

These questions are open to answers from everyone, although they are largely directed towards Muslims. I’m asking these questions because I’m familiar with what Jews, Christians, and other ancient religions believe about the afterlife, but I don’t know what Islam teaches about the subject:

What is Islam’s view on the afterlife?

What does it say heaven will be like?

What does it say hell will be like?

What determines a person’s destination after death? What actions lead them to heaven? Which actions/"sins" land them in hell?

Does Islam believe in an eternal punishment/hell? Or does it believe that a doomed person can eventually make it to heaven?

What does Islam teach will happen to the non-believers of the faith after death?

I'm just being curious y'all. Thanks to anyone that answers. I'll try to get back to everyone that responds as soon as possible.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Amor101
07-16-2017, 01:54 AM
All disbelievers and non-practicing muslims go to hell.
Non-practicing Muslims go to Hell for a a certain amount of time. If they truly believe, they get out after they suffered for their sins in Hell.

- - - Updated - - -

Hell is gayb. Gayb is something beyond human comprehension. We can't question the how of Hell. Paradise and Hell are things our ear has never heard of, eyes never seen, or something we can imagine.

L a n a
07-16-2017, 03:51 AM
Hi Freedom, thank you for the reply.

format_quote Originally Posted by Freedom
What does it say heaven will be like? Birds, Waterfalls, Virgins, boy servants, and whatever pleasure one desires.
This heaven sounds extremely pleasant.

What does it say hell will be like? Torture, the eating of flesh wounds and boiling water
Sounds painful. Do people in hell turn into zombies, who do the flesh eating? Or will it be demons/evil spirits who will eat the condemned's flesh?

What determines a person’s destination after death? What actions lead them to heaven? Which actions/"sins" land them in hell? Righteous deeds(prayer, charity, jihad, duty, etc) done for the sake of Allah ONLY lead to paradise. All disbelievers and non-practicing muslims go to hell.
Okay, simple enough.

Does Islam believe in an eternal punishment/hell? Or does it believe that a doomed person can eventually make it to heaven? Hell is eternal for disbelievers, but all Muslims who are in hell eventually leave.
Great for the lapsed Muslims (who can fix the error of their ways), but sucks for everyone else lol.

I don't get the concept of eternal punishment in religions, but hey if it's what some religions believe, then it's their right.

What does Islam teach will happen to the non-believers of the faith after death? Hell
I can't say that I'm shocked by this answer. I figured as much, but thought I should ask anyways.

Overall, I find the idea of hell to be an interesting concept (even more so than heaven), but it doesn't really make sense to me. However, I can see why religious people spend so much time trying to avoid ever ending up in a place like that (this just going on the various descriptions of hell that can be found within the many faith traditions).

Again, thank you for the post. It was very concise, which I appreciate.

L a n a
07-16-2017, 04:38 AM
People in hell eat disgusting rotten food and the pus from a flesh wound. For a detailed list of the various punishments endured by the not so fortunate inhabitants of hell, here is a link. https://islamqa.info/en/45325
Oh, okay I was wondering.

Also, ditch the Atheism and adopt Deism
Funny you should mention that. I was a deist when I was younger (like around 10-14), and I believed in a "higher power"/"cosmic force" (i.e. not the abrahamic god). Eventually, I realized I just didn't believe in any god(s) or any of the religions that can be found here on earth. I've been an agnostic atheist ever since.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
anatolian
07-16-2017, 10:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lana_Del_Bae

Salam. Quran is probably the most detailed book on the earth about heaven and hell. There are several ayahs in it describing these two places. We dont need to imagine how these places will be in Islam .

talibilm
07-16-2017, 10:53 AM
Hi,

Dieing without realising your Creator who had sent several scriptures with several messengers (about more than 120,000 in different nations and in their own languages with Prophet Muhammad PBUH is the last messenger with the last & updated book, The Noble Quran say like an latest updated gadget { for example iphone etc} for the whole world ) lands a human in hell FOR ETERNITY since we die only once and there is no death again , So my friend wake up from your assumptions and read the unaltered protected book, The Noble Quran, of your Creator who fed you from times where none, even your Mom could not have fed(in mom's womb). To our Creator , Allah , is every human/s final destination

Noble Quran '' And for those who disbelieved in their Lord is the punishment of Hell, and wretched is the destination. When they are thrown into it, they hear from it a [dreadful] inhaling while it boils up.

It almost bursts with rage. Every time a company is thrown into it, its keepers ask them, "Did there not come to you a warner?"

They will say," Yes, a warner had come to us, but we denied and said, ' Allah has not sent down anything. You are not but in great error.' "

And they will say, "If only we had been listening or reasoning, we would not be among the companions of the Blaze."

http://legacy.quran.com/67

And they will say, "If only we had been listening or reasoning, we would not be among the companions of the Blaze."

L a n a
07-16-2017, 05:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anatolian
Salam. Quran is probably the most detailed book on the earth about heaven and hell. There are several ayahs in it describing these two places. We dont need to imagine how these places will be in Islam .
Thank you for the reply anatolian.

I don't deny that the quran offers up detailed descriptions of heaven/hell (I'm pretty sure most religions describe where their adherents and/or the heathen will end up after death). I just haven't read it, so decided the best thing was for me to come on here and ask Muslims directly about the specifics of what Islam teaches about the afterlife.

- - - Updated - - -

format_quote Originally Posted by talibilm
Hi,

Dieing without realising your Creator who had sent several scriptures with several messengers (about more than 120,000 in different nations and in their own languages with Prophet Muhammad PBUH is the last messenger with the last & updated book, The Noble Quran say like an latest updated gadget { for example iphone etc} for the whole world ) lands a human in hell FOR ETERNITY since we die only once and there is no death again , So my friend wake up from your assumptions and read the unaltered protected book, The Noble Quran, of your Creator who fed you from times where none, even your Mom could not have fed(in mom's womb). To our Creator , Allah , is every human/s final destination

Noble Quran '' And for those who disbelieved in their Lord is the punishment of Hell, and wretched is the destination. When they are thrown into it, they hear from it a [dreadful] inhaling while it boils up.

It almost bursts with rage. Every time a company is thrown into it, its keepers ask them, "Did there not come to you a warner?"

They will say," Yes, a warner had come to us, but we denied and said, ' Allah has not sent down anything. You are not but in great error.' "

http://legacy.quran.com/67

Hi talibilm,

I wasn't asking to be proselytized to, I just want to see how the Islamic descriptions of the afterlife compares to other religions.

These are your beliefs, and you are allowed to have them.

Thank you for the reply.

anatolian
07-16-2017, 05:51 PM
Thank you for the reply anatolian.

I don't deny that the quran offers up detailed descriptions of heaven/hell (I'm pretty sure most religions describe where their adherents and/or the heathen will end up after death). I just haven't read it, so decided the best thing was for me to come on here and ask Muslims directly about the specifics of what Islam teaches about the afterlife.
You did great :). So I just wanted to imply that Quran is the most detailed religious book on heaven and hell. Just a translation of it in your language. Heaven/Paradise (Jannah) is a place of joy and happiness as a gift for our goodness in this life and hell (jahannam) is a place of punishment for badness again in this life. Islamically, this life is just a place of test. A temporary world. Not a real life. The real life will be here after and eternal.

talibilm
07-17-2017, 12:42 AM
Hi forum,

These questions are open to answers from everyone, although they are largely directed towards Muslims. I’m asking these questions because I’m familiar with what Jews, Christians, and other ancient religions believe about the afterlife, but I don’t know what Islam teaches about the subject:

Its a Life under Barsak ie iow hidden . As we cant see somethings but they are true like soul is. So the souls are held up and they are shown their resting place according to their deeds hell or paradise even now before the occurring of the Day of judgement. Allah will resurrect all of the living beings united to their souls from the respective places they died and will rewarded or punished or forgiven on the DOJ. death will never happen again we die only once

Paradise will be so beautiful that NEVER a human's mind has imagined. Even living in it hundreds of millenniums the person still will be never BORED with its luxuries. Living for ever young without pain or sufferings or impurities of this world ALSO reunited with your Loved ones if they too died with eeman and good actions

Its a place filled up with punishments of different types . The fire will be 70 times hotter than this world. Accordingly those dwellers of hell will be given a VERY THICK skin to feel and take the brunt of such fire and their bodies will made huge .

What determines a person’s destination after death? What actions lead them to heaven? Which actions/"sins" land them in hell?
The main BIGGEST unforgivable sin is to refuse or reject your Creator, called Kufr and associating partners or equals to God ie Shirk . A man does not like to be compared to a dog & rats but still Compares God to the created, ie Shirk which is very Insultful to God, The Creator and becomes an unforgivable sin unless he repents well before death and rectifies it and recognizes the Prophets and their Books of God and other conditions as per Islam

Does Islam believe in an eternal punishment/hell? Or does it believe that a doomed person can eventually make it to heaven?
Those who do kufr & shirk and die without repenting are doomed for eternity as per the order of Allah . other than these cases its upto Allah to forgive them even if they were doomed to hell by their sinful actions

What does Islam teach will happen to the non-believers of the faith after

death?
as repeated above , when people think thrice before buying even a simple thing like our shoes that are to be worn for six months or an year than its the Mistake of humans who has been made as the King of this world NOT to use their conscience & wisdom to search their Religion ie Creator which we live untill we die , so such people whoever they are ( even Born Muslims but only by Name ) are doomed to hell for ever .

I'm just being curious y'all. Thanks to anyone that answers. I'll try to get back to everyone that responds as soon as possible.
Hope that helps and you can ask for more and will be answered if we knew the answers. its our duty to answer them if we have knowledge of then FROM OUR BOOKS.

eesa the kiwi
07-17-2017, 09:18 AM
Hi
I'm posting in this thread so I can find it later. I'm not at my computer atm but have some links that I think Will help inshaAllah. Will post when I get home inshaAllah

eesa the kiwi
07-18-2017, 03:51 AM
Hi forum,

What does Islam teach will happen to the non-believers of the faith after death?

below is a short video explaining the Islamic view of paradise, inshaAllah will post one on hellfire later (my internet is being really slow lol)

L a n a
07-18-2017, 11:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by talibilm
Its a Life under Barsak ie iow hidden . As we cant see somethings but they are true like soul is. So the souls are held up and they are shown their resting place according to their deeds hell or paradise even now before the occurring of the Day of judgement. Allah will resurrect all of the living beings united to their souls from the respective places they died and will rewarded or punished or forgiven on the DOJ. death will never happen again we die only once

Paradise will be so beautiful that NEVER a human's mind has imagined. Even living in it hundreds of millenniums the person still will be never BORED with its luxuries. Living for ever young without pain or sufferings or impurities of this world ALSO reunited with your Loved ones if they too died with eeman and good actions

Its a place filled up with punishments of different types . The fire will be 70 times hotter than this world. Accordingly those dwellers of hell will be given a VERY THICK skin to feel and take the brunt of such fire and their bodies will made huge .

The main BIGGEST unforgivable sin is to refuse or reject your Creator, called Kufr and associating partners or equals to God ie Shirk . A man does not like to be compared to a dog & rats but still Compares God to the created, ie Shirk which is very Insultful to God, The Creator and becomes an unforgivable sin unless he repents well before death and rectifies it and recognizes the Prophets and their Books of God and other conditions as per Islam

Those who do kufr & shirk and die without repenting are doomed for eternity as per the order of Allah . other than these cases its upto Allah to forgive them even if they were doomed to hell by their sinful actions

as repeated above , when people think thrice before buying even a simple thing like our shoes that are to be worn for six months or an year than its the Mistake of humans who has been made as the King of this world NOT to use their conscience & wisdom to search their Religion ie Creator which we live untill we die , so such people whoever they are ( even Born Muslims but only by Name ) are doomed to hell for ever .

Hope that helps and you can ask for more and will be answered if we knew the answers. its our duty to answer them if we have knowledge of then FROM OUR BOOKS.
Thank you for the post, as well as definitions for a few of those terms talibilm. It was very detailed and informative, it was interesting to read about what the religion says.

I find most cultural and religious descriptions of the afterlife fascinating.

STN
07-19-2017, 09:49 PM
Sounds painful. Do people in hell turn into zombies, who do the flesh eating? Or will it be demons/evil spirits who will eat the condemned's flesh?
Sister, hell is not a joke.

Narrated Anas:

The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "Allah will say to that person of the (Hell) Fire who will receive the least punishment, 'If you had everything on the earth, would you give it as a ransom to free yourself (i.e. save yourself from this Fire)?' He will say, 'Yes.' Then Allah will say, 'While you were in the backbone of Adam, I asked you much less than this, i.e. not to worship others besides Me, but you insisted on worshipping others besides me.' "

Sahih al-Bukhari 3334
In-book reference : Book 60, Hadith 9
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 4, Book 55, Hadith 551

https://www.islamreligion.com/articl...llfire-part-4/

Zombies are the creation of human thought, something humorous. The descriptions of hell are so horrible yet we can't imagine its horror (May Allah save us all from it, Ameen) because it will be nothing we have seen.

Heaven on the other hand is something that seem so pleasurable even from its description but we can't comprehend the pleasures (May Allah grant us heaven! Ameen) of it or its extent.

Allah has prepared for His believing slaves in Paradise that which no eye has seen, no ear has heard and has never even crossed the minds of men, such that even the person who has the least blessings in Paradise will think that he is the most blessed among them. Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri (may Allaah be pleased with him) said that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The lowest of people in status in Paradise will be a man whose face Allaah turns away from the Fire towards Paradise, and shows him a tree giving shade. He will say, ‘O Lord, bring me closer to that tree so that I may be in its shade… Then he will enter his house [in Paradise] and his two wives from among al-hoor al-‘iyn will come in and will say to him, ‘Praise be to Allaah who brought you to life for us and brought us to life for you.’ Then he will say, ‘No one has been given what I have been given.’” (Narrated by Muslim, no. 275)

https://www.islamreligion.com/articl...radise-part-1/

There is one small and simple condition, believe in the Oneness of Allah and last messenger Mohammad (SAWW).

ahmedahmed
07-19-2017, 10:37 PM
IT is where bad people end up.

L a n a
07-19-2017, 11:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by STN
Sister, hell is not a joke.
I wasn't intending to make a joke out of your beliefs, so I apologize if it came off that way. I was genuinely confused because the post I was replying to mentioned something about "flesh eating", so I was asking for clarification.

STN
07-20-2017, 09:59 PM
I wasn't intending to make a joke out of your beliefs, so I apologize if it came off that way. I was genuinely confused because the post I was replying to mentioned something about "flesh eating", so I was asking for clarification.
Sister, don't worry about offending me. I don't even care if i get offended as long as the truth is delivered to you because that's all that matters. And i wasn't offended, not sure what is there to be offended about.

My post was to emphasize how bad and terrifying hell is because it sounded from your post you didn't quite get it. The flesh eating is probably for people who backbite (Allah knows best), the brother didn't quote where he was referring to. Because Allah says in the Qur'an:

"O you who have believed, avoid much [negative] assumption. Indeed, some assumption is sin. And do not spy or backbite each other. Would one of you like to eat the flesh of his brother when dead? You would detest it. And fear Allah ; indeed, Allah is Accepting of repentance and Merciful." (Qur'an 49:12)

And the link he posted mentions this
Some will have their sides cut and will be fed with their own flesh; they are the one who engaged in backbiting
I have watched movies and tv shows on zombies and they're funny and humorous (the walking dead, warm bodies etc), you were getting an idea of zombies from flesh eating which i thought you weren't getting the clear picture.

Hope you get the idea now and don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions. I don't know why you think i(or we) would be offended if you want to know more about Islam...we would not be true Muslims if we got offended! rather we are pleased when someone is curious and it is our duty to spread the truth and knowledge of Islam.

So ask away sister as much as you like and gain knowledge so on the day of Judgement you wouldn't hold me or any of us responsible for not telling you anything. That is the only thing we're afraid of and not our emotions, we don't get offended :)

May Allah give us guidance, Ameen!

ahmedahmed
07-21-2017, 08:36 AM
oh ,allah,i ask you for jannah.

oh,oh ,allah,save us from naar.

L a n a
07-21-2017, 11:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by STN
Sister, don't worry about offending me. I don't even care if i get offended as long as the truth is delivered to you because that's all that matters. And i wasn't offended, not sure what is there to be offended about.

My post was to emphasize how bad and terrifying hell is because it sounded from your post you didn't quite get it. The flesh eating is probably for people who backbite (Allah knows best), the brother didn't quote where he was referring to. Because Allah says in the Qur'an:

"O you who have believed, avoid much [negative] assumption. Indeed, some assumption is sin. And do not spy or backbite each other. Would one of you like to eat the flesh of his brother when dead? You would detest it. And fear Allah ; indeed, Allah is Accepting of repentance and Merciful." (Qur'an 49:12)

And the link he posted mentions this

I have watched movies and tv shows on zombies and they're funny and humorous (the walking dead, warm bodies etc), you were getting an idea of zombies from flesh eating which i thought you weren't getting the clear picture.

Hope you get the idea now and don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions. I don't know why you think i(or we) would be offended if you want to know more about Islam...we would not be true Muslims if we got offended! rather we are pleased when someone is curious and it is our duty to spread the truth and knowledge of Islam.

So ask away sister as much as you like and gain knowledge so on the day of Judgement you wouldn't hold me or any of us responsible for not telling you anything. That is the only thing we're afraid of and not our emotions, we don't get offended :)

May Allah give us guidance, Ameen!
Okay, I guess I just didn't want anyone thinking I was being rude. Das all!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.