/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Encoding a movie onto living bacteria

Freedom
07-18-2017, 10:32 AM
Video is in link. https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/13/...-gene-editing/
Forget USB drives and the cloud -- what if you could carry every bit of data you've ever used on your skin? That's the long-term goal of researchers at Harvard Medical School, who have stored a video in the DNA of bacteria. It's the first time a video has been recorded into living cells, as opposed to synthetic material.The team inserted a short animated image of 'The Horse in Motion' (one of the earliest moving images ever created) into E. coli, using gene-editing system CRISPR. The movie was split into five frames, and each frame chopped into single-colored pixels. They then created DNA codes corresponding to each color and strung them together. Each bacterium carried snippets of the video stored in their DNA, and when taken together, the scientists were able to retrieve and reconstruct the pieces to play the video.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abz2000
07-18-2017, 11:56 AM
This is a very interesting revelation, it raises questions on what may be written into our dna.....

Makes me think of the three precogs and the imagery from minority report....
Raises more questions on destiny than people can answer...

Language:
English
Urdu اردو
كتاب أحاديث الأنبياء 60 Prophets
(48)Chapter: The Statement of Allah Taa'la: "And mention in the Book, the story of Maryam..."(48)بَابُ: {وَاذْكُرْ فِي الْكِتَابِ مَرْيَمَ إِذِ انْتَبَذَتْ مِنْ أَهْلِهَا}
نَبَذْنَاهُ أَلْقَيْنَاهُ. اعْتَزَلَتْ {شَرْقِيًّا} مِمَّا يَلِي الشَّرْقَ {فَأَجَاءَهَا} أَفْعَلْتُ مِنْ جِئْتُ، وَيُقَالُ أَلْجَأَهَا اضْطَرَّهَا.
{تَسَّاقَطْ} تَسْقُطْ {قَصِيًّا} قَاصِيًا {فَرِيًّا} عَظِيمًا. قَالَ ابْنُ عَبَّاسٍ: {نِسْيًا} لَمْ أَكُنْ شَيْئًا.
وَقَالَ غَيْرُهُ النِّسْيُ الْحَقِيرُ.
وَقَالَ أَبُو وَائِلٍ عَلِمَتْ مَرْيَمُ أَنَّ التَّقِيَّ ذُو نُهْيَةٍ حِينَ قَالَتْ: {إِنْ كُنْتَ تَقِيًّا}.

قَالَ وَكِيعٌ عَنْ إِسْرَائِيلَ عَنْ أَبِي إِسْحَاقَ عَنِ الْبَرَاءِ: {سَرِيًّا} نَهَرٌ صَغِيرٌ بِالسُّرْيَانِيَّةِ.

Narrated Salim from his father:
No, By Allah, the Prophet (ﷺ) did not tell that Jesus was of red complexion but said, "While I was asleep circumambulating the Ka`ba (in my dream), suddenly I saw a man of brown complexion and lank hair walking between two men, and water was dropping from his head. I asked, 'Who is this?' The people said, 'He is the son of Mary.' Then I looked behind and I saw a red-complexioned, fat, curly-haired man, blind in the right eye which looked like a bulging out grape. I asked, 'Who is this?' They replied, 'He is Ad-Dajjal.' The one who resembled to him among the people, was Ibn Qatan." (Az-Zuhri said, "He (i.e. Ibn Qatan) was a man from the tribe Khuza`a who died in the pre-lslamic period.")

حَدَّثَنَا أَحْمَدُ بْنُ مُحَمَّدٍ الْمَكِّيُّ، قَالَ سَمِعْتُ إِبْرَاهِيمَ بْنَ سَعْدٍ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنِي الزُّهْرِيُّ، عَنْ سَالِمٍ، عَنْ أَبِيهِ،، قَالَ لاَ وَاللَّهِ مَا قَالَ النَّبِيُّ صلى الله عليه وسلم لِعِيسَى أَحْمَرُ، وَلَكِنْ قَالَ ‏ "‏ بَيْنَمَا أَنَا نَائِمٌ أَطُوفُ بِالْكَعْبَةِ، فَإِذَا رَجُلٌ آدَمُ سَبْطُ الشَّعَرِ، يُهَادَى بَيْنَ رَجُلَيْنِ، يَنْطِفُ رَأْسُهُ مَاءً أَوْ يُهَرَاقُ رَأْسُهُ مَاءً فَقُلْتُ مَنْ هَذَا قَالُوا ابْنُ مَرْيَمَ، فَذَهَبْتُ أَلْتَفِتُ، فَإِذَا رَجُلٌ أَحْمَرُ جَسِيمٌ، جَعْدُ الرَّأْسِ، أَعْوَرُ عَيْنِهِ الْيُمْنَى، كَأَنَّ عَيْنَهُ عِنَبَةٌ طَافِيَةٌ‏.‏ قُلْتُ مَنْ هَذَا قَالُوا هَذَا الدَّجَّالُ‏.‏ وَأَقْرَبُ النَّاسِ بِهِ شَبَهًا ابْنُ قَطَنٍ ‏"‏‏.‏ قَالَ الزُّهْرِيُّ رَجُلٌ مِنْ خُزَاعَةَ هَلَكَ فِي الْجَاهِلِيَّةِ‏.‏

Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 3441
In-book reference : Book 60, Hadith 111
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 4, Book 55, Hadith 650
(deprecated numbering scheme)
Report Error | Share

Attachment 6216

Attachment 6214 Attachment 6215

But then there are other hypotheses......

96989: Meaning of the hadeeth; “Then the divine decree overtakes him and he does the deeds of the people of Hell”
I would like you to explain the meaning of this Hadeeth:
Narrated Abi Abdurrahman Abdullah bin Mas'ud, May Allah is pleased with him:
Allah's Apostle, the true and truly inspired said, "(The matter of the Creation of) a human being is put together in the womb of the mother in forty days, and then he becomes a clot of thick blood for a similar period, and then a piece of flesh for a similar period.

Then Allah sends an angel who breathes the soul into him, and is ordered to write four things. He is ordered to write down his (i.e. the new creature's) deeds, his livelihood, his (date of) death, and whether he will be blessed or wretched (in religion).
So, by Allah the One, a man amongst you may do good deeds till there is only a cubit between him and Paradise and then what has been written for him decides his behavior and he starts doing (evil) deeds characteristic of the people of the (Hell) Fire. And similarly, a man amongst you may do (evil) deeds till there is only a cubit between him and the (Hell) Fire, and then what has been written for him decides his behavior, and he starts doing deeds characteristic of the people of Paradise." Narrated by Al-Bukhari.
To be honest with you I feel bad sometimes that I may do good deeds while it is written that I am from the people of hell. I wish you answer me, thanks a lot for your efforts, may Allah greaten your reward.

Published Date: 2007-11-10

Praise be to Allaah.
Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Those who are ignorant of Allaah and His names and attributes misinterpret their true meanings and turn people against Allaah and put obstacles between the people and loving Allaah and drawing close to Him without realizing.

We will mention some examples of that, such as that they try to make people with shallow knowledge (or weak faith) think that no acts of obedience towards Allaah will do any good, even if that is done for a long time and a person has tried his utmost to do it properly both outwardly and inwardly; and that a person cannot be safe from the plot of Allaah, rather it is Allaah’s way to take the obedient one who fears Allaah out of the mosque and into the brothels, and from Tawheed and tasbeeh to shirk and flutes, and turn his heart from pure faith to kufr. They narrated sound reports concerning this that they do not understand properly, and false reports that the Prophet never said, and they claim that this is the essence of Tawheed. End quote. Al-Fawaa’id (159).

Then he (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: … So this poor person no longer sees actions as being good or bad, so he does not feel comfortable when doing good, or feel distressed when doing bad. Is there any more effective way of putting people off Allaah and making them hate Him than this?! If all the heretics strive hard to make people hate religion and put them off Allaah, they could never have come up with anything worse than this.

The one who has this belief thinks that he is reinforcing the ideas of Tawheed and the divine will and decree, and refuting the innovators and supporting Islam, but by Allaah, a wise enemy is less harmful than an ignorant friend. All the revealed Books and all the Messengers bear witness to the opposite of that, especially the Qur’aan. If those who seek to call others to Allaah follow the method that is established by Allaah and His Messenger in calling people to Islam, the whole world would be reformed in such a way that there would be no corruption after that......

Full article here:
https://islamqa.info/en/96989

STN
07-18-2017, 10:58 PM
Fascinating stuff. It seems great in theory and as proof of concept but i don't think its possible or practical in reality. Bacteria have a mind of their own, they mutate and evolve and the message isn't going to stay the same which will be the biggest challenge.

Clickbait article title though (engaget)

Mustafa16
07-19-2017, 12:28 AM
Muslims should do more groundbreaking science like this.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abz2000
07-19-2017, 02:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mustafa16
Muslims should do more groundbreaking science like this.
Do you know the details of the people in the research team?
Was it a project comprising only of people who are foolish enough to deny the existence of the Creator of the heavens and the earth and the fact that Muhammad :saws: was His messenger?
Do people who accept the fact that Islam is the truth not conduct lawful research projects?

Did you lie about your iq test results when you claimed that you were among the top two percent of test takers?
Or are you attempting to insult the intelligence of people who read your cunning posts?
Are you really into pride marches or something?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.