/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Was my Joke Permissible?

MiracleSurvivor
07-19-2017, 09:30 PM
I have started to work for a company and I noticed the CEO was very young.

I asked a co-worker how old he was and he said "27" and I jokingly said that "he is still just a child". I don't mean to put him down I just meant that he is very young and he is a CEO.

Was it offensive?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
07-21-2017, 12:39 AM
Assalamualaikum, sister.

A joke maybe be offensive and maybe not. It's depend on situation and who tell this joke. If I played with toy and then my friend told me "Ardianto, you are still a little child", I would laugh. But if my business colleague told me that I am like a little child, in context of working, when my mood was bad probably I would be offended because I regard it as ridicule or doubting my skill.

I don't know how that young CEO felt after he heard you comment about him like that, because everyone is different. But next time you should be careful before talking.

:)

Karl
07-21-2017, 05:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MiracleSurvivor
I have started to work for a company and I noticed the CEO was very young.

I asked a co-worker how old he was and he said "27" and I jokingly said that "he is still just a child". I don't mean to put him down I just meant that he is very young and he is a CEO.

Was it offensive?
Yes very offensive. It would not be too offensive if you were a very old wise man. The word "child" used on an adult, implies a half wit or simpleton. It is really only acceptable to be used by a parent e.g. "my child is forty years old now" as the word "child" means offspring not the level of mental and physical development.

ardianto
07-21-2017, 10:30 AM
There are various fields of business. In business field that categorized as creative industries which creativity is the main pillar, many of the executives are young. So, it's not difficult to find CEO who is under 30. But in industries that more conventional which experience is the important thing, the executives are dominated by older people with long experiences. So, if young person with lack of experience become CEO in industry like this, people indeed, tend to see this person as 'little child'.

I think the OP is working in conventional industry like this. So, she see that 27 year old man as 'little child' and unconsciously she said that comment. I know that the OP didn't meant put him down. Maybe that happened because she is familiar with mindset that CEO must be those who old enough and have long experiences.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Karl
07-21-2017, 11:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
There are various fields of business. In business field that categorized as creative industries which creativity is the main pillar, many of the executives are young. So, it's not difficult to find CEO who is under 30. But in industries that more conventional which experience is the important thing, the executives are dominated by older people with long experiences. So, if young person with lack of experience become CEO in industry like this, people indeed, tend to see this person as 'little child'.

I think the OP is working in conventional industry like this. So, she see that 27 year old man as 'little child' and unconsciously she said that comment. I know that the OP didn't meant put him down. Maybe that happened because she is familiar with mindset that CEO must be those who old enough and have long experiences.
Well if I was a CEO of a corporation and someone called me a child let alone little child they would be living on borrowed time, maybe sacked at least. Age means nothing, this 27 year old is obviously gifted. The prophet Muhammad (PBUH) was not an old man when he revealed his wisdom and knowledge.
I think the problem is that people have been poisoned by the Jewish West which resorts to prejudice and bigotry against the young and how old someone is. Everyone is defined by age not their abilities in this demonic culture.

Bhabha
07-21-2017, 04:30 PM
Lol, I don't think the CEO would take it to heart. It's not offensive when you're young and successful and someone recognizes that you're young... and successful, by using the word "child". I do not get offended if someone calls me a child, it's totally fine. I have friends who are CEOs in their late 20s and they know they're children when you have older people working for them, trust, they do not get offended. Just don't go repeating it to his face, or he might see you as old and washed out and decide to replace you for someone who doesn't see him as a "child" in terms of age difference.

Abz2000
07-21-2017, 05:01 PM
I personally wouldn't mind as long as I knew that the employee is an asset to the company and was just making a light hearted friendly observation, but I probably would pay more attention to - and judge the quality of their work.

MiracleSurvivor
07-21-2017, 05:07 PM
The people who work at the company have loose morals, they constantly curse each other and smoke outside the building. I left the company next day because they seem toxic.

Bhabha
07-21-2017, 05:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MiracleSurvivor
The people who work at the company have loose morals, they constantly curse each other and smoke outside the building. I left the company next day because they seem toxic.
People smoke outside of the building in my work, I don't go smoking with them, let alone talk to them. A lot of people curse, I don't joke around with them or hang around to hear them cursing.

What kind of work was this?

I stay in my office most of the time, if not all.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.