/* */

PDA

View Full Version : West and East stereotypes discussion

MuslimInshallah
07-26-2017, 05:09 PM
Assalaamu alaikum,

After a discussion on another thread got rather off-track and somewhat heated, I decided to move the off-topic discussion to a new thread. (smile) The issue of stereotypes is important, as they are very prevalent and cause a lot of harm. They furthermore hinder us from working together as effectively as we might otherwise do. (smile) So let us try to discuss these issues. Politely. And with the intention to love the other person for the sake of God.

May Allah, the Wise, the Subtle, Guide us.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abz2000
07-26-2017, 06:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bhabha
In my culture, it is the male that moves into the female's "tribe" if you so should call it.

I'm not interested in arguing with you, if a woman doesn't want to take care of her husband's mother / father, you have no way and should not force her to do that. It's not her duty AT ALL. Her duty is to her husband, not to be the carer for her husband's family. Similarly, it is not expected that a husband provide sustenance to his wife's family, it's not his duty.

Who said anything about a female working among strange males? Either way, even if she does, is she going to sleep with them? Or do you prefer a male working amongst strange females? Who of the two is more likely (and statistically speaking) to cheat or have an affair in this situation, if this is something that you're akin to believing and would be questioning by bringing up the fact that a woman working outside the home is working amongst strangers? Is the husband not doing the same when working outside the home?

My oh my, can both not just control their physical bodies when outside the house? Isn't that the issue you're referring to as being problematic when a woman works outside the house?
I've never heard of such a matriarchal tribe in the western hemisphere, although I see the patriarchal tribe all the time in the eastern hemisphere and I used to hear that men would bring home the stag or deer and that the woman would love them for it and cook it, and men would love them for being a "true homemaker" and not love them for being a "true homebreaker", and I wouldn't actually believe them if they tried to lyingly convince me that the man would sit at home ready to cook while the woman went hunting with a spear. The man has a deep growly voice for a reason and it scares off attacking males and animals in the wild and keeps the kids in check even when the female voice fails, and the woman has a shrill high pitched far reaching voice for a reason and it worjs to raise the alarm to the male who has the legs to come running. God knows what they teach in human biology at secularist schools other than how to have anals and org#es.
Even so, I used to see women scowling and leering as they used to reach into their handbags when the male used to wait for them to pay for items at my business, and i also noticed that future relationships were not very likely if the male didn't pay for a meal on a night out.

Gender roles are not confused in Islam so the males would not be working with strange females, and in a genuine Islamic society, females who do need to work have their right to not be put amongst strange males respected. And it's not acceptable or even tolerable for a man to flirt with a married woman or vice versa. The males usually fish, plant rice, cut it, look after the livestock, chop wood, build houses etc, whilst women respect and value them and look after the home. Necessity to neglect the family in terms of midwives and doctors is a different issue and it is seen as a great sacrifice for Allah's sake.

I didn't notice them controling their physical bodies when I was in england where I was born and brought up and I noticed that they didn't care at all whether I was married or not when they used to try to get chatty in a different way with me.
I was even accused of being gay once when I spurned a girl and another said "he's probably gay" in order to save her face, not that they have a problem with that either.

Bhabha
07-26-2017, 06:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
I've never heard of such a matriarchal tribe in the western hemisphere, although I see the patriarchal tribe all the time in the eastern hemisphere and I used to hear that men would bring home the stag or deer and that the woman would love them for it and cook it, and men would love them for being a "true homemaker" and not love them for being a "true homebreaker", and I wouldn't actually believe them if they tried to lyingly convince me that the man would sit at home ready to cook while the woman went hunting with a spear. The man has a deep growly voice for a reason and it scares off attacking males and animals in the wild and keeps the kids in check even when the female voice fails, and the woman has a shrill high pitched far reaching voice for a reason and it worjs to raise the alarm to the male who has the legs to come running. God knows what they teach in human biology at secularist schools other than how to have anals and org#es.
Even so, I used to see women scowling and leering as they used to reach into their handbags when the male used to wait for them to pay for items at my business, and i also noticed that future relationships were not very likely if the male didn't pay for a meal on a night out.

Gender roles are not confused in Islam so the males would not be working with strange females, and in a genuine Islamic society, females who do need to work have their right to not be put amongst strange males respected. And it's not acceptable or even tolerable for a man to flirt with a married woman or vice versa. The males usually fish, plant rice, cut it, look after the livestock, chop wood, build houses etc, whilst women respect and value them and look after the home. Necessity to neglect the family in terms of midwives and doctors is a different issue and it is seen as a great sacrifice for Allah's sake.

I didn't notice them controling their physical bodies when I was in england where I was born and brought up and I noticed that they didn't care at all whether I was married or not when they used to try to get chatty in a different way with me.
I was even accused of being gay once when I spurned a girl and another said "he's probably gay" in order to save her face, not that they have a problem with that either.
Ehh, don't know where you worked, but where I work we have something called "harassment policies" and no fraternization between people working together. Are you sure they were flirting with you? or just talking? Not everyone in the west is out to have sex with each other. That is such a common misconception from watching too much Hollywood. :facepalm:

I have lived and worked in the "West" my whole life, and I can say that the ONLY guys who have annoyed me with pesky flirting and potential harassment have been Muslims, Arabs, born and bred in Arab countries. No "Western" guy has bothered me with something I consider harassment or borderline sexual comments. (Before and after converting to Islam).

Where are you from? To comment on "Western" cultures as though you know so much.

I come from South America, and when a son gets married, the mother is said to "loose" a son because he joins his wive's family. However when a daughter is married, the mother is said to "gain" a son because he joins her family. I will not tell you my country, but it is common practice for that to happen here. Women do not leave the nest, it is men that leave the nest and join their spouses family.

In turn, the head of the household is the wife, she commands the decisions on what happens internally and the financial things that happen. In my society, it is common practice for a husband to provide for his wife a maid, a nanny, etc. My mother is a dental surgeon, owned restaurants, etc. and my father still provided for her convenience maids and a nanny.

It is very much a matriarchal household.

So please go and dictate about "West" when you know "West"; since you do not know the cultures that make up this so called umbrella West, refrain from making accusations about cultures you do not know and societies you've never experienced.

- - - Updated - - -

format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
Islam also doesn't require you to fast the 6 days of shawaal, or to do Umrah, or to pray the sunnah rawatib, or to give sadaqah every now and again. You are not sinful if you don't perform these acts but you will however be missing out on a great deal of reward and perfecting your religion.

You are not obligated to serve your husband's mother or family but you are however strongly encouraged to be good to them as it is considered a highly rewarding act. Being good to your in-laws can mean taking care of your husband's mother, spending time with them and making their life easy in whatever way you can. Islam encourages you to look at the greatness of the reward and not simply sticking to the 'obligations' only.
It is also considered a rewarding act to alleviate the burden on your wife by providing her help to do these things. :)

STN
07-30-2017, 09:00 PM
Ehh, don't know where you worked, but where I work we have something called "harassment policies" and no fraternization between people working together. Are you sure they were flirting with you? or just talking? Not everyone in the west is out to have sex with each other. That is such a common misconception from watching too much Hollywood. :facepalm:

I have lived and worked in the "West" my whole life, and I can say that the ONLY guys who have annoyed me with pesky flirting and potential harassment have been Muslims, Arabs, born and bred in Arab countries. No "Western" guy has bothered me with something I consider harassment or borderline sexual comments. (Before and after converting to Islam).
Do you know why they are burning women who wear hijab? It is because they can't flirt and have sex with her so they show their anger that way. When every women is walking half naked, a woman wearing hijab is the one that seems most attractive to see how she looks like. And i don't know which west you have been living in, everyone is out to have sex with each other. Tinder, Grinder, LGBT, there is sex everywhere. They are legitimizing sex with everyone and everything, i am afraid they will ask for rights of animals next since they have sex with humans too and have feelings.

There are demonstrations for women to be able to walk around showing off their breasts because men can so why can't the women (gender equality).

There is One Night Stands, you hook up with a random girl, you have sex for one night and then you forget about her. If you try to call her the next morning, you are considered a creep.

I find it hard to believe that "No "Western" guy has bothered me with something I consider harassment or borderline sexual comments", what i find more believable is the western guys were good at flirting and hitting so you didn't consider that creepy whereas the Muslims, Arabs, born and bred in Arab countries acted creepy because they aren't such players.

Sex is in the air and you haven't been hit on by any western guy? Either you are ugly or their boss and they're afraid of you.

I come from South America, and when a son gets married, the mother is said to "loose" a son because he joins his wive's family. However when a daughter is married, the mother is said to "gain" a son because he joins her family. I will not tell you my country, but it is common practice for that to happen here. Women do not leave the nest, it is men that leave the nest and join their spouses family.

In turn, the head of the household is the wife, she commands the decisions on what happens internally and the financial things that happen. In my society, it is common practice for a husband to provide for his wife a maid, a nanny, etc. My mother is a dental surgeon, owned restaurants, etc. and my father still provided for her convenience maids and a nanny.

It is very much a matriarchal household.

So please go and dictate about "West" when you know "West"; since you do not know the cultures that make up this so called umbrella West, refrain from making accusations about cultures you do not know and societies you've never experienced.
I work for people who live in America and am very close to the American culture and i rarely see them get married. What i see is girlfriends/boyfriends or boyfriend/boyfriends or whatever sick sexual tendency and the most they will do is live together so idk what this mother loses a son thing you speak of. The mother loses their children there the moment they turn 13 and officially when turning 18, both son and daughter because they move out of the home of parents.

Nothing changes when they get married as far as parents are concerned because the kids already live on their own and in fact are frowned upon if they live with their parents.

It is also considered a rewarding act to alleviate the burden on your wife by providing her help to do these things.
:)

I have not seen marriages of americans but what they usually do is both of them work. And none of them live with their parents except to visit on special occasions or when they die or get ill and hospitalized but even then they won't stay a night in hospital.

Sister, this is the second time you said we hate west. Where are you getting this thinking from? We don't hate west but the reality is the west looks at our way of life in a condescending manner. Get this lie out of your head please, i work for american people and their company relies exclusively on my work, if i were to leave they would tank. And they don't want to hire anyone else, if i hated west because of some weird reason that you have thought of then i wouldn't be working for them.

We hate immorality, acts of fahisha and sodomy...a gay guy tried to hit on me when in school and that has scarred me to this day so i hate/loathe gays and i believe that is a mental sickness like pedophilia is. If we feel okay with gay people, we should feel okay with pedophiles and necrophiliacs and incest too because they feel the same attraction that gays do and "are born this way and can't be turned off".

But i love west for its justice. It is the only thing they have got better, justice and is the reason they're prospering in this life.

As far as OP issue is concerned, he lives in an eastern culture and it is the norm to respect and treat husband's parents as your own. But you are right it isn't necessary and she can ask for a separate house but isn't it better that she take care of his parents?. It will be nothing but result in good deeds for her. And earning money outside is not easier than working at home and then to provide for your family especially if you work halal and are mindful of not doing any haram. But it depends on the job too but you can't say the husband's job is easier than the wife, both have their challenges and are hard work.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Umm♥Layth
07-30-2017, 11:06 PM
Bhaba, you are highly opinionated and blanket eastern cultures. How long ago did you convert? You could be going through a culture shock perhaps.

I am hispanic and have been a convert for 13 years, born and raised in the west ;) The culture you are describing is not matriarchal lol and not everyone's family works like yours.

Women in the east are usually offered maids if finances permit, even lower middle class people have maids, not just the wealthy. I don't know any women from southeast asia who didn't have a maid or two back home. In hispanic cultures, that is a huge luxury and the family has to be well off in order to afford that. In my culture, women go live with the man's family OR the man goes to live with the woman's family. It's usually a financial and work related decision, not a cultural one.

Growing up, I had two couples who lived in our household at different periods, one was my dad's sister and her husband, the other was my mom's brother and his wife. I also had an uncle and a cousin live with us. It is considered normal to have family members, especially newly weds, live with the family in order to establish themselves and they eventually move out. I've never heard this "you lose a son" thing.

My point is, don't throw the baby out with the bath water. The eastern culture has many similarities to the Hispanic culture and also several differences. This is OUTSIDE of Islam. If you have issues with Muslims because of poor experiences then find another community or learn more about different cultures. You can't expect born Muslims to be superior in their practices and then be angry that they don't practice the way YOU think they should practice Islam. They are only human and every single Muslim, born into the faith or not, has a journey to walk.

FWIW, I have been harassed in the workplace more times than I can count before I was a Muslim and it was all hispanic guys with no shame ;) I actually worked for a south asian family when I was very young and they treated me very well. Nobody hit on me or bothered me. You have to be smart about where you go and you have to be aware of how other cultures work. Once you wear hijab, you will get questions from Arabs and other Muslims, they do get curious and their personal demeanor doesn't represent anyone but themselves. Every time I've ever walked into an Arab owned convenience store, there's a guy behind the counter who clearly doesn't practice Islam lol and they come off as a bit rude/nosy/self righteous when asking questions if you don't understand their culture.

One of my best friends is married to an Arab, and when he talks, even if its in good spirits, it can be scary if you don't know what is going on :D

Anyway, I'm waaaay off topic now, but felt these things should be addressed. Most converts have tons of complaints about born Muslims and rightfully so if they have had bad experiences, but again, don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Bhabha
07-31-2017, 04:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by STN
Do you know why they are burning women who wear hijab? It is because they can't flirt and have sex with her so they show their anger that way. When every women is walking half naked, a woman wearing hijab is the one that seems most attractive to see how she looks like. And i don't know which west you have been living in, everyone is out to have sex with each other. Tinder, Grinder, LGBT, there is sex everywhere. They are legitimizing sex with everyone and everything, i am afraid they will ask for rights of animals next since they have sex with humans too and have feelings.

There are demonstrations for women to be able to walk around showing off their breasts because men can so why can't the women (gender equality).

There is One Night Stands, you hook up with a random girl, you have sex for one night and then you forget about her. If you try to call her the next morning, you are considered a creep.

I find it hard to believe that "No "Western" guy has bothered me with something I consider harassment or borderline sexual comments", what i find more believable is the western guys were good at flirting and hitting so you didn't consider that creepy whereas the Muslims, Arabs, born and bred in Arab countries acted creepy because they aren't such players.

Sex is in the air and you haven't been hit on by any western guy? Either you are ugly or their boss and they're afraid of you.

I work for people who live in America and am very close to the American culture and i rarely see them get married. What i see is girlfriends/boyfriends or boyfriend/boyfriends or whatever sick sexual tendency and the most they will do is live together so idk what this mother loses a son thing you speak of. The mother loses their children there the moment they turn 13 and officially when turning 18, both son and daughter because they move out of the home of parents.

Nothing changes when they get married as far as parents are concerned because the kids already live on their own and in fact are frowned upon if they live with their parents.

:)

I have not seen marriages of americans but what they usually do is both of them work. And none of them live with their parents except to visit on special occasions or when they die or get ill and hospitalized but even then they won't stay a night in hospital.

Sister, this is the second time you said we hate west. Where are you getting this thinking from? We don't hate west but the reality is the west looks at our way of life in a condescending manner. Get this lie out of your head please, i work for american people and their company relies exclusively on my work, if i were to leave they would tank. And they don't want to hire anyone else, if i hated west because of some weird reason that you have thought of then i wouldn't be working for them.

We hate immorality, acts of fahisha and sodomy...a gay guy tried to hit on me when in school and that has scarred me to this day so i hate/loathe gays and i believe that is a mental sickness like pedophilia is. If we feel okay with gay people, we should feel okay with pedophiles and necrophiliacs and incest too because they feel the same attraction that gays do and "are born this way and can't be turned off".

But i love west for its justice. It is the only thing they have got better, justice and is the reason they're prospering in this life.

As far as OP issue is concerned, he lives in an eastern culture and it is the norm to respect and treat husband's parents as your own. But you are right it isn't necessary and she can ask for a separate house but isn't it better that she take care of his parents?. It will be nothing but result in good deeds for her. And earning money outside is not easier than working at home and then to provide for your family especially if you work halal and are mindful of not doing any haram. But it depends on the job too but you can't say the husband's job is easier than the wife, both have their challenges and are hard work.
American culture is not the same as South American culture which can't be blanketed. Not all Hispanics are the same, and not all "similar" Hispanics are the same as someone here pointed out. In my culture and when I mean my culture, I mean my social standing as well women are given maids, nannies, and not deprived of being able to work if they want. The point to make is that women are not asked to take care of the household, that's not why they got married to them in the first place.

American culture is so far removed from the morals that traditional South Americans have inculcated in their upbringing and I'm only referring to South Americans of traditional upper class bringing, so let me contextualize it before there's more argument. Kids don't move out until they're married, kids don't live with their "girlfriends" or "boyfriends". Kids court, don't date. It's really quite different ... and FYI not all Americans are how you described them, you take a complete extreme and just plaster all of the bad things you can think of and put them on Americans. Also FYI. There are many cultures in "America" let's not forget it's a continent full of people with different backgrounds, nationalities, etc. Hollywood and movies aren't a representation.

As for people hitting on me? Lol before I was Muslim, the only guys hitting on me were Arabs and Muslim. Let's not all paint non Muslim guys as sexual deviants. I've had long term friendships with non Muslim guys since my middle school years until now and not once have they been improper or rude, or hit on me, they've been like siblings. I've also had friendships with Muslims and I've been more hurt by these guys than by my non Muslim friends.

Perhaps it's my own experience, and it's been my unfortunate circumstance of having met the worst of the worst in the case of Muslims. But this is just to show you that not all non Muslim guys / girls are bad, deviants, sexualized, etc. And not all Muslims are saints. It depends on the individual person and the kind of upbringing they've had that determines their morals

Being labeled a "Muslim" isn't going to automatically make someone a saint, specially if they don't apply Islam in their lives. Similarly being a non Muslim doesn't mean the person is evil, or is wicked and seeks to make things bad. Everything and everyone needs to be contextualized.

Umm♥Layth
07-31-2017, 02:46 PM
Yeah, but your issues, as per this thread, started out with something like: "Oh why do you expect your wife to take care of your mother and be a maid". You were blanketing Muslims as if every Muslim's culture from the east is the same. Have you ever lived in the east? You were basing your generalization on what you have seein in western countries, where south asian women DO tend to get stuck "doing it all" and that's because unfortunately, hiring maids in places like UK, US and Canada costs an arm and a leg. Adjustments are not made to make up for this fact and people want to somehow still continue the culture and it just doesn't work out the same.

Upper class middle eastern women get maids and nannies and they don't usually go out in the workforce lol. They are not the most religious people either, so nothing to do with Islam. The prophet (saw) didn't give one of his own servants to his own daughter, even though she was really struggling and her hands had callouses on them. One should think of why that is ;)

I also understand that you feel somehow, someway, Muslims are inhibiting women from studying and having their own income when that isn't the case at all. Some cultures are ignorant, but it doesn't come from Islam.

Most of my social circle consists of female entrepreneurs, including myself. Remember that in Islam Family comes first. I is all about maintaining a strong family unit, and western culture (which has infiltrated the east by the way) is all about tearing down that unit. So even though many of us have the capability or are building businesses, our families come first and in many cases this means less income, which means domestic help is not as common.

Side note: By "western" I mean, colonized european culture which is spread all over europe, north america AND much of south america (although most hispanic cultures still hold tight to moral values).

Just some food for thought, totally unrelated to this discussion. Who takes care of a maid's home and family? She does, she has to do it all along with her spouse if he doesn't work all the time. So somebody, somewhere has to make t he sacrifice of "being stuck with everything." It is part of life.

Bhabha
07-31-2017, 04:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm♥Layth
Yeah, but your issues, as per this thread, started out with something like: "Oh why do you expect your wife to take care of your mother and be a maid". You were blanketing Muslims as if every Muslim's culture from the east is the same. Have you ever lived in the east? You were basing your generalization on what you have seein in western countries, where south asian women DO tend to get stuck "doing it all" and that's because unfortunately, hiring maids in places like UK, US and Canada costs an arm and a leg. Adjustments are not made to make up for this fact and people want to somehow still continue the culture and it just doesn't work out the same.

Upper class middle eastern women get maids and nannies and they don't usually go out in the workforce lol. They are not the most religious people either, so nothing to do with Islam. The prophet (saw) didn't give one of his own servants to his own daughter, even though she was really struggling and her hands had callouses on them. One should think of why that is ;)

I also understand that you feel somehow, someway, Muslims are inhibiting women from studying and having their own income when that isn't the case at all. Some cultures are ignorant, but it doesn't come from Islam.

Most of my social circle consists of female entrepreneurs, including myself. Remember that in Islam Family comes first. I is all about maintaining a strong family unit, and western culture (which has infiltrated the east by the way) is all about tearing down that unit. So even though many of us have the capability or are building businesses, our families come first and in many cases this means less income, which means domestic help is not as common.

Side note: By "western" I mean, colonized european culture which is spread all over europe, north america AND much of south america (although most hispanic cultures still hold tight to moral values).

Just some food for thought, totally unrelated to this discussion. Who takes care of a maid's home and family? She does, she has to do it all along with her spouse if he doesn't work all the time. So somebody, somewhere has to make t he sacrifice of "being stuck with everything." It is part of life.
I wasn't blanketing all Muslims, I'm a Muslim as well and yes I have lived in the East (Qatar / UAE). My generalization isn't on what I've seen in Western countries, but from what the OP said. That he is struggling with the decision to pursue marriage because she "doesn't know how to cook"; when is that a requirement for actually getting married? That's a requirement for being a cook, a maid, or a chef. Not for being a wife.

Western culture (way to blanket ALL westerners) is not about tearing that fabric down, just as you don't like people blanketing "Muslims" (for which I am one as well), don't blanket all Westerners the same. Blanket capitalism, don't blanket Western society because it's very different in each pocket you examine.

The OP has to also provide assistance, if this girl doesn't know how to cook, why not cook the meals and leave them for her to heat? Why is the sole decision of marrying a woman, based on whether or not she can cook? ^o) On whether she can clean? ^o) Why not on what she can offer through her morals, her education, her brain.

Upper class middle eastern women who get nannies and maids and don't go out into the workforce are 1) not educated enough to land a job, 2) obese. I'm not blanketing, but I've lived in these regions to know what pockets fall into certain categories and those are usually the ones getting their upper class status through marriage, not by inheritance or entrepreneurship.

Again, let's not blanket :)

Umm♥Layth
07-31-2017, 06:45 PM
I wasn't blanketing all Muslims, I'm a Muslim as well and yes I have lived in the East (Qatar / UAE). My generalization isn't on what I've seen in Western countries, but from what the OP said. That he is struggling with the decision to pursue marriage because she "doesn't know how to cook"; when is that a requirement for actually getting married? That's a requirement for being a cook, a maid, or a chef. Not for being a wife.
Every single person is entitled to their requirements when they choose a spouse. There is no law or rule within Islam that forbids it and the person marrying does not have to accept certain requirements (as long as it isn't haraam), That is the beauty of courting and finding somebody that suits you! :) I require my husband to make sure he can provide certain things, period. I would not have married him otherwise and I do hold him to it. Same goes for his requirements. For some men it is the food, for others is plentiful intimacy and THAT IS FINE lol, the bride doesn't have to accept and she can move on. Nobody forces a woman to marry IN ISLAM (no speaking of backward cultures here).

This whole mentality that domestic work is somehow related to slavery or being "tied to the kitchen sink" is a bunch of feminist hogwash. Domestic work HAS to be done in order for humans to live a sanitary, civilized life! lol. A couple can choose to split it, have one person fully responsible or hire help, it is their choice to make within the marriage.

Western culture (way to blanket ALL westerners) is not about tearing that fabric down, just as you don't like people blanketing "Muslims" (for which I am one as well), don't blanket all Westerners the same. Blanket capitalism, don't blanket Western society because it's very different in each pocket you examine.
Actually, if you study history with a fine tooth comb, you can clearly see the movements have have slowly but surely destroyed the family system. I'm not going to school you on that one, but I am at peace and confident when I say what I say. When I speak of "western culture" I speak of the white supremacist colonialism which is responsible for making sure all brown people hate their skin color and women forgetting their value and role in society. I get it, Latin America is also in the west, but their native tongue isn't spanish is it? No, Latin America has been colonized and much of their culture has been wiped out. Enough said on that subject, I'm not here to discuss pedantics.

The OP has to also provide assistance, if this girl doesn't know how to cook, why not cook the meals and leave them for her to heat? Why is the sole decision of marrying a woman, based on whether or not she can cook? ^o) On whether she can clean? ^o) Why not on what she can offer through her morals, her education, her brain.
Again, you are generalizing and bringing in feminist baggage. Not trying to be rude to you are stir the pot, but this is the reality and you are not alone in your thought processes. There is NOTHING wrong with mastering domestic work, which is very feminine by its nature. I find it quite honorable and empowering when I can wipe my house spotless in less than two hours all by myself. Who says that a woman who can cook and clean doesn't have intellect to offer? I actually showed my husband how to do fine, thorough, professional cleaning and he was my client before we married. So he looked (and still does) look to me for health/nutrition, spiritual and self development among other areas I specialize in.

One has to be smart about the kind of man they marry, that's all there's too it. Appreciate yourself before you look for somebody to appreciate you :) Women as a whole feel underappreciated that's why topics like this flare them up.

Upper class middle eastern women who get nannies and maids and don't go out into the workforce are 1) not educated enough to land a job, 2) obese. I'm not blanketing, but I've lived in these regions to know what pockets fall into certain categories and those are usually the ones getting their upper class status through marriage, not by inheritance or entrepreneurship.

;D You said let's not blanket but you keep blanketing. Since when does obesity prevent one from going out to the workforce LOL!! That's too funny. I was obese most of my life and now I help women overcome obesity. It never stopped me from developing my intellect or becoming self sufficient.

Just sayin'.

STN
07-31-2017, 07:07 PM

It will be very hard for you to understand the eastern culture if you are raised in west.

I can't imagine sending my parents to old houses even if it's the best in the whole country. It's the norm in west.
I can't imagine my wife to have to talk to strangers especially people who are sexually skilled and know seduction and try to seduce my wife. It's pretty normal in west and Ghayrah isn't something they are known for. I know how good i am at seducing girls(May Allah forgive my sins) and they think nice of me, i certainly am not alone who knows seduction especially living in west where you're a weirdo if you haven't had sex by age 16 and 18 .
I expect my wife to help my mother, what else does she have to do anyway if the man earns and brings home all the money. Whereas in west, the feminist will eat you and think housewives are some lesser creatures who are degrading themselves. But these feminist will not even look for a second at a man who is feminized and will want the same man they so criticize.

If you want to degrade your wife cooking and "making home" to being a maid then isn't your mother a maid too ? She cooks for you all your life and does everything for you even when you grow up...she is the biggest maid, well unless you were raised by a maid then i guess it makes sense why you think the way you do.

Again, it's a culture thing. What you find so sick and disgusting is normal here and what we find sick and disgusting in west is normal there. It has nothing to do with religion.

Bhabha
07-31-2017, 07:18 PM
Every single person is entitled to their requirements when they choose a spouse. There is no law or rule within Islam that forbids it and the person marrying does not have to accept certain requirements (as long as it isn't haraam), That is the beauty of courting and finding somebody that suits you! :) I require my husband to make sure he can provide certain things, period. I would not have married him otherwise and I do hold him to it. Same goes for his requirements. For some men it is the food, for others is plentiful intimacy and THAT IS FINE lol, the bride doesn't have to accept and she can move on. Nobody forces a woman to marry IN ISLAM (no speaking of backward cultures here).

This whole mentality that domestic work is somehow related to slavery or being "tied to the kitchen sink" is a bunch of feminist hogwash. Domestic work HAS to be done in order for humans to live a sanitary, civilized life! lol. A couple can choose to split it, have one person fully responsible or hire help, it is their choice to make within the marriage.

Actually, if you study history with a fine tooth comb, you can clearly see the movements have have slowly but surely destroyed the family system. I'm not going to school you on that one, but I am at peace and confident when I say what I say. When I speak of "western culture" I speak of the white supremacist colonialism which is responsible for making sure all brown people hate their skin color and women forgetting their value and role in society. I get it, Latin America is also in the west, but their native tongue isn't spanish is it? No, Latin America has been colonized and much of their culture has been wiped out. Enough said on that subject, I'm not here to discuss pedantics.

Again, you are generalizing and bringing in feminist baggage. Not trying to be rude to you are stir the pot, but this is the reality and you are not alone in your thought processes. There is NOTHING wrong with mastering domestic work, which is very feminine by its nature. I find it quite honorable and empowering when I can wipe my house spotless in less than two hours all by myself. Who says that a woman who can cook and clean doesn't have intellect to offer? I actually showed my husband how to do fine, thorough, professional cleaning and he was my client before we married.

One has to be smart about the kind of man they marry, that's all there's too it. Appreciate yourself before you look for somebody to appreciate you :) [/quote]

;D You said let's not blanket but you keep blanketing. Since when does obesity prevent one from going out to the workforce LOL!! That's too funny. I was obese most of my life and now I help women overcome obesity. It never stopped me from developing my intellect or becoming self sufficient.

Just sayin'.[/QUOTE]

Everyone has been colonized, Southern Spain was colonized by Islam, which in turn affected a lot of structure in Spain, and even though Isabel and Ferdinand tried to wipe it out of existence in Spain, it still remains and this in turn has colonized South America, etc. etc., Arabs colonized in turn parts of Africa, Afghanistan, Iraq, wiping out the Sumerian culture and Islam also spread and in turn colonized a lot of countries whose cultures were eradicated and wiped out. etc., etc., etc.,

Western "society"; in this scenario of Europe, was also influenced by Asian civilizations.

"Spanish"; arose as a language around the late 1400s, ish, through vernacularizations, for which there are still vulgar languages (and by 'vulgar', I mean local to people, not vulgar as in lack of morals); which reign in Spain, that are NOT Spanish. English is also a vernacular language that came out of germanic languages and has therefore not existed for as long as people assume it has.

So to the people of Spain, who are said to have imposed "Spanish" and as such the cultural attributes of a people made out to be a single identity, by those who fail to recognize the complicated web of influences that affected the Spanish identity. Their own identity, their language, etc., arose by means of juxtaposing themselves against other identities present in Spain that did not follow Catholicism (Jewish and Muslim identities); and one could argue etched their differences and thus their identity out of those so called "differences"; and not out of similarities.

As people of Spain who had come from a wide range of 'backgrounds' - through the movements of people in Europe in general came unto South America in an effort, yes they did interact with the people of South America and yes, they did wipe them out through various practices that were racist, xenophobic, etc., people who have no European blood still remain in South America and wage battles to retain their culture, their language and their customs. It is not as rare of an occurrence as you make it out to be, people still speak other languages besides Spanish and entertain cultures that are not touched by anyone in their own worlds and spaces. Of course I cannot speak for them, because I don't have native blood at all and one could make the argument that I am one of these horrible "colonizers"; but the sins of my ancestors are not mine at all.

Domestic work is feminine?

Let me ask you, who are the best chefs in the world? Who are the best designers in the world? Certainly, it is not women, for it is men who have the best chef titles. So are they feminine for cooking?

Please also do not presume to tell me that you will entertain your children by telling them that "domestic" work is for women and not for men. Both men and women should be doing domestic work, it is not the responsibility of the mother alone, or the sisters, while the brothers feast on food and wait to get their laundry done.

And I am done, reply or don't reply. I'm not going to bother to discuss this issue further.

If you want to be cleaning up after your husband, that's your issue. Teach your children that too, that women belong in the kitchen. *sarcasm*

But men are better chefs

and in my family, men cook :)

- - - Updated - - -

Again, you are generalizing and bringing in feminist baggage. Not trying to be rude to you are stir the pot, but this is the reality and you are not alone in your thought processes. There is NOTHING wrong with mastering domestic work, which is very feminine by its nature. I find it quite honorable and empowering when I can wipe my house spotless in less than two hours all by myself. Who says that a woman who can cook and clean doesn't have intellect to offer? I actually showed my husband how to do fine, thorough, professional cleaning and he was my client before we married.

One has to be smart about the kind of man they marry, that's all there's too it. Appreciate yourself before you look for somebody to appreciate you :) [/quote]

Just sayin'.[/QUOTE]

Everyone has been colonized, Southern Spain was colonized by Islam, which in turn affected a lot of structure in Spain, and even though Isabel and Ferdinand tried to wipe it out of existence in Spain, it still remains and this in turn has colonized South America, etc. etc., Arabs colonized in turn parts of Africa, Afghanistan, Iraq, wiping out the Sumerian culture and Islam also spread and in turn colonized a lot of countries whose cultures were eradicated and wiped out. etc., etc., etc.,

Western "society"; in this scenario of Europe, was also influenced by Asian civilizations.

"Spanish"; arose as a language around the late 1400s, ish, through vernacularizations, for which there are still vulgar languages (and by 'vulgar', I mean local to people, not vulgar as in lack of morals); which reign in Spain, that are NOT Spanish. English is also a vernacular language that came out of germanic languages and has therefore not existed for as long as people assume it has.

So to the people of Spain, who are said to have imposed "Spanish" and as such the cultural attributes of a people made out to be a single identity, by those who fail to recognize the complicated web of influences that affected the Spanish identity. Their own identity, their language, etc., arose by means of juxtaposing themselves against other identities present in Spain that did not follow Catholicism (Jewish and Muslim identities); and one could argue etched their differences and thus their identity out of those so called "differences"; and not out of similarities.

As people of Spain who had come from a wide range of 'backgrounds' - through the movements of people in Europe in general came unto South America in an effort, yes they did interact with the people of South America and yes, they did wipe them out through various practices that were racist, xenophobic, etc., people who have no European blood still remain in South America and wage battles to retain their culture, their language and their customs. It is not as rare of an occurrence as you make it out to be, people still speak other languages besides Spanish and entertain cultures that are not touched by anyone in their own worlds and spaces. Of course I cannot speak for them, because I don't have native blood at all and one could make the argument that I am one of these horrible "colonizers"; but the sins of my ancestors are not mine at all.

Let me ask you, who are the best chefs in the world? Who are the best designers in the world? Certainly, it is not women, for it is men who have the best chef titles. So are they feminine for cooking?

Please also do not presume to tell me that you will entertain your children by telling them that "domestic" work is for women and not for men. Both men and women should be doing domestic work, it is not the responsibility of the mother alone, or the sisters, while the brothers feast on food and wait to get their laundry done.

And I am done, reply or don't reply. I'm not going to bother to discuss this issue further.

If you want to be cleaning up after your husband, that's your issue. Teach your children that too, that women belong in the kitchen. *sarcasm*

But men are better chefs

- - - Updated - - -

format_quote Originally Posted by STN
It will be very hard for you to understand the eastern culture if you are raised in west.

I can't imagine sending my parents to old houses even if it's the best in the whole country. It's the norm in west.
I can't imagine my wife to have to talk to strangers especially people who are sexually skilled and know seduction and try to seduce my wife. It's pretty normal in west and Ghayrah isn't something they are known for. I know how good i am at seducing girls(May Allah forgive my sins) and they think nice of me, i certainly am not alone who knows seduction especially living in west where you're a weirdo if you haven't had sex by age 16 and 18 .
I expect my wife to help my mother, what else does she have to do anyway if the man earns and brings home all the money. Whereas in west, the feminist will eat you and think housewives are some lesser creatures who are degrading themselves. But these feminist will not even look for a second at a man who is feminized and will want the same man they so criticize.

If you want to degrade your wife cooking and "making home" to being a maid then isn't your mother a maid too ? She cooks for you all your life and does everything for you even when you grow up...she is the biggest maid.

Again, it's a culture thing. What you find so sick and disgusting is normal here and what we find sick and disgusting in west is normal there. It has nothing to do with religion.

Who said people are sent to old houses?

You guys assume that everyone in Western culture is perverted, senile and treats their parents horribly.

My mother doesn't cook. My mother doesn't clean. She comes from a different upbringing and she tells us in our face that she's not our maid and she's right, she's NOT our maid for her to be cleaning up after us. We're not pigs, why would our mother need to be cleaning up after us too? Everyone has a hand and has a brain to be doing their own cleaning up and as for cooking, people can split up the cooking the entire week if they don't have a cook and clean up after themselves if they don't have a maid.

The idea that you have about western culture and people in Western culture is seriously derainged, where the heck did you get that idea? Hollywood films? television? Media? the same kind of media that assumes Muslims with a beard and women with a hijab are terrorists? Get off watching television and actually get to know people, understand how they think and get out of that little shell that makes you assume the worst of a culture.

The same way you criticize westerners for looking at Muslims (as terrorists, enslavers, pedophiles etc.) is the same problem you have at looking at Westerners.

None of my friends have had their families sent to a "home for the elderly"; and none of my family has ever sent their mother / father to a home for the elderly. Our parents are active, mentally, physically, emotionally and my own great grandmother (a woman who died at 94 in perfect health) was cleaning herself and going to the bathroom alone. My grandmother who is 75 is in great health. Our parents live a long life because we don't subject them to cleaning up after us, to destroying their health. That work is either divided, or given in division across many maids who are grateful to have jobs in a bad economy with good benefits. Our parents live in our homes under our care and the maids offer assistance to doing things that would take time away from spending with our families.

I would rather spend my time teaching my children how to read, write, swim, etc. then be tired and weary from having cleaned all day. I would rather spend my time teaching my children how to be good helpers (BOTH MEN AND WOMEN) in putting their things away, how to behave, how to eat properly, gardening, etc. etc., then be stuck next to a hot oven, or cleaning the kitchen ALL DAY (because the kitchen is the worst place ever) and my children sitting in front of the television.

PRIORITIES.

And i'm done with that.

STN
07-31-2017, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by STN

Umm♥Layth
07-31-2017, 10:56 PM

Everyone has been colonized, Southern Spain was colonized by Islam
That wasn't colonization. Forcing your ways upon a people, stealing their land and literally robbing them of their language and culture isn't the same as influencing. Islam was never EVER spread by violence and bloodshed so you cannot compare it to the colonization I am referring to. Of course, languages have been spread and influenced by each other. English is what we call a "pidgin language", it isn't original and neither is Spanish, but if you stop and re-read what I posted, you'll understand what I'm trying to say here.

Again, you are arguing pedantics and if you haven't educated yourself on the realities of western colonization then hit the books. I'm not wasting my time on that.

But men are better chefs

Sister, you should really REALLY come off your high horse. Do you realize how much you generalize? It's so sad to see.

Yes, domestic work is a form of art and it is a feminine one for sure. The level of detail it entails is something only a woman can give. Does this mean only women do it NOPE. Not at all :) I don't think you read most of what I wrote lol. I actually showed my husband how to clean professionally and with detail so that when it is his turn to clean, he does it the way I like it :shade:. Why do you assume that because I believe domestic work is a feminine art that it is only the duty of a woman? Hire yourself a male maid and see the difference LOL!

Feminists really hate the idea of gender roles and in Islam there are clear gender roles. You can't change that! :) Men have an obligation to provide for the household, not a choice. IF a man is busy 12 hours out of the day providing for his family, it is only natural for the woman to take the lead in the household. Sure, if the man is wealthy he can provide her with some help, masha'Allah, but for the majority, this isn't the case and there is absolutely no shame in being a home maker if that is what one chooses. It doesn't stop a woman from growing intellectually in any way shape or form. In fact, being able to stay home (and with proper time management) a woman can continue her education indefinitely or work on a business if she wishes to.

I really do appreciate not being expected to contribute financially, Alhamdullilah. I do it when I can and want. In my culture, all modern women are expected to work and this has only started in the last two generations. Both of my grandmothers had huge families and enriched their grandchildren's lives by being available. My mom and mother in law? nowhere to be seen because they are out working. Our kids won't get that enrichment that I did. So really, why so much determination to make women leave the home. I don't see that as something to be proud of. I love my home and I really hated every minute of having to work out of necessity when I was a single mother. I much more enjoy caring for my home and enjoying my growing business, Alhamdullilah.

Oh and, I do enjoy laying out a fresh, ironed set of clothes for my husband. Perhaps it is love? I don't know, but I like it and I do it on my own accord. The household is my turf and what I say goes, within Islamic guidelines.

As far as food, one of my favorite shows is Iron chef and my favorite chefs are all male. My ex husband showed me how to cook south asian food and my dad is amazing in the kitchen. Cooking is fun and should be a family affair, and in my home there is always somebody cooking with me. I seldom do it alone. I willingly take the lead because I WANT to. I like making my family healthy food. When I have to go out for work periodically, my husband cooks for us. Love it! <3 Alhamdullilah.

It isn't wise come to forums with massive predispositions because fruitful discussions can't happen like that. Also please do have the courtesy to read posts thoroughly and honor people's time invested. Goodness me! rawr! ;)

Zafran
07-31-2017, 11:53 PM
This isnt true - when the Muslims went to Spain they didn't convert everybody to Islam - Its the reason why the Inquisition occurred because there were substantial Christians there (which of course wasn't Christian always). Some of the greatest Muslim scholars were from Spain (Ibn Tufail, Ibn Rushd, Ibn Hazm etc). Furthermore Sumeria is ancient - the Persian empire -specifically Sassanian empire was there in the 7th century. It was then when the Arab conquest happened - Once again it took centuries for people to accept Islam - some of the greatest scholars and intellectuals of Islam were Persian (from abu Hanifa to Imam Al Ghazzali many to name). The same can be said for North Africa which was ruled by the Byzantines or India which still to this day has a majority Hindu Population.

This is unlike Christopher Columbus, Pizarro and Cortes in the 15th to 16th century. Those guys were not exactly the best Christians. The Incas and the Aztecs were pretty much wiped out.

MuslimInshallah
08-01-2017, 06:57 PM
Assalaamu alaikum @Bhabha and @Umm♥Layth… (smile) and all others who have been following this discussion,

(smile) What you are talking about, although it has nothing to do with the OP’s question, is an important point nonetheless. (smile) However, I think that perhaps we are getting lost… (mildly) as we are expected to.

(smile) When I was a child, the big dichotomy at the time was the East-West divide… between the Eastern (Soviet/Communist) Bloc and the “Free/Capitalist” West. The East were Eastern Europe, Russia, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, etc... China (sort of) and others. The “West” was Western Europe, the US, Canada, Japan and Australia.

Then, when the Soviet Union collapsed, there was a bit of strange time when this familiar divide seemed to no longer exist… until Islam was the new “East”. However, looking more carefully, I discovered that the East-West dichotomy was an old idea, though the exact details of what constituted East and West seemed to change over time. So I wondered: where did this begin?

From what I can tell (and I am not an historian, just a person trying to understand), this idea seems to have started when the Roman Empire became too vast and unstable. In order to administer the empire, the Roman Empire was first divided into two administrative units (East and West), which then became politically divided sometime later. However, the idea of dualities and oppositions seem to have been already in the Roman psyche (ideas that were probably seeping in from others parts of the world, such as Persia, India and beyond, as well as certain Greek ideas). Augustine (a Christian Berber thinker from what is now called Algeria, but was then part of the Western Empire (- and Greece was part of the Eastern Empire at that time!)), for example, formulated ideas about the division between the physical and the spiritual. This idea of dualism was to become very influential in the Western part of the Roman Empire.

What I am trying to say is that this idea of dividing the world into two parts is an old one. And that it predates the Prophet Mohammed (SAWS). It’s origin was diverse, but it became perhaps the most firmly rooted in what we might now call Europe.

But Islamically, these sorts of dualisms are incorrect. The world does not divide neatly into opposing forces, one good and one evil. The world is not a binary of us and them. Nor are humans evil flesh and good spirit. We believe in pairs, yes. But not that one of the pair is good, and the other evil!

But everyone seems to have accepted this falsehood as reality! Including Muslims!

Let us consider, while looking at their traditional cultures: who is an “Easterner”? Someone from Algeria? From Iran? From India? From China? From Indonesia? Have all the peoples of these countries traditionally been the same? Did they all speak, think, dress, move, understand the world identically?!

And who is a “Westerner”? Was a Finn the same as a Welshman? A Hungarian the same as a Russian? A Greek? A Dane?!

This dichotomy of East and West is completely ridiculous! And yet it seems that everyone I know talks in these terms, including people whom I respect deeply! (seriously) But when we do so, it is so very easy to collapse people into very, very simple stereotypes, where “We” are essentially good. And “they” are essentially bad.

I reject this division.

I believe that there is no such thing as “the West”. And there is no such thing as “the East”. This is just a dichotomy that divides and conquers us. That prevents us from effectively working together to solve the problems that confront us all today. Instead, I embrace the Islamic idea that God made us essentially the same, in that our propensities towards good and evil actions are equally present in all groupings (ethnic, religious, national, social…) on this planet. And that each and every one of must must struggle, constantly, to tilt our actions towards the good. And that each and every one of us fails, every day, to do all we could do that is good. (sigh) And that indeed, too often, we cave in to one weakness or another: sloth, greed, jealousy, anger…

However, it is true that there is a very destructive force in our world today. We could perhaps call it the industrial monoculture. Or the industrial machine. Or the industrial corporate a-culture. Whatever we choose to call it, it is a cancerous amalgam of ideas that is destroying all the cultures on this planet. It demands uniformity, conformity, disconnection from family and traditional culture (from anything that might empower a human to stand up to the juggernaut). It tells us that bigger is better. That plants, animals and people are mere objects to use, interchange and discard. It tells us to follow our desires. To express our anger (but only towards “the other”- not the juggernaut- which, incidentally, is not a person, or even group of persons, but a set of ideas that we feed with our belief in them)). It tells us that we have no spiritual ends, that this existence is all that is. That only what can be seen, touched, smelt, heard, tasted… only this is real. It tells us that creation is defective, and that by applying ideas to generate maximum short-term profits, the juggernaut will correct the defects and solve all our problems. And it tells us that we are in a crisis and must hurry to implement the latest technological fix -now!!!

(mildly) These are some of the axioms of the juggernaut. There are others. But what we need to recognize is that these ideas have infiltrated everywhere. That there is no demon “other”, but that the demon is in our midst, whispering lies to each and every one of us. And that as long as we permit ourselves to be divided and manipulated (by the juggernaut that most of us serve in one form or another), we cannot work to rid ourselves of this cancer.

I believe that we all need set roots, and that we need to reconnect with whatever roots we may have. We need to comb through the treasuries of our forefathers and mothers’ experience and knowledge to find ways to deal not only with how we can heal ourselves of this juggernaut, but also how we can help heal the terrible destruction that we see all around us in creation, which is a reflection of the destruction within ourselves. And then we need to share strategies and work together, with the people around us that we know and care about.

(gently) Please, everyone, let us put our stereotypes aside and see each unique human being for the beautiful creation Allah Created. (smile) Yes, I realize that some people are closer to God than others (though we don’t know exactly how this will come out on the Day of Judgment…). And some people are easier to understand and work with than others. But there are gems everywhere. In India, the Gambia, Peru, Slovenia, Mongolia, Korea… there are beautiful people. Instead of looking for people who fit our stereotypes, perhaps we could look for these beautiful people, and see how we can work with them to do good?

(smile) Thank you for your patience in reading this essay.

May God, the Possessor of all the Beautiful Names, have Mercy on us, and Help us to re-balance ourselves and our world.

Umm♥Layth
08-02-2017, 03:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimInshallah
Assalaamu alaikum @Bhabha and @Umm♥Layth… (smile) and all others who have been following this discussion,

(smile) What you are talking about, although it has nothing to do with the OP’s question, is an important point nonetheless. (smile) However, I think that perhaps we are getting lost… (mildly) as we are expected to.

(smile) When I was a child, the big dichotomy at the time was the East-West divide… between the Eastern (Soviet/Communist) Bloc and the “Free/Capitalist” West. The East were Eastern Europe, Russia, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, etc... China (sort of) and others. The “West” was Western Europe, the US, Canada, Japan and Australia.

Then, when the Soviet Union collapsed, there was a bit of strange time when this familiar divide seemed to no longer exist… until Islam was the new “East”. However, looking more carefully, I discovered that the East-West dichotomy was an old idea, though the exact details of what constituted East and West seemed to change over time. So I wondered: where did this begin?

From what I can tell (and I am not an historian, just a person trying to understand), this idea seems to have started when the Roman Empire became too vast and unstable. In order to administer the empire, the Roman Empire was first divided into two administrative units (East and West), which then became politically divided sometime later. However, the idea of dualities and oppositions seem to have been already in the Roman psyche (ideas that were probably seeping in from others parts of the world, such as Persia, India and beyond, as well as certain Greek ideas). Augustine (a Christian Berber thinker from what is now called Algeria, but was then part of the Western Empire (- and Greece was part of the Eastern Empire at that time!)), for example, formulated ideas about the division between the physical and the spiritual. This idea of dualism was to become very influential in the Western part of the Roman Empire.

What I am trying to say is that this idea of dividing the world into two parts is an old one. And that it predates the Prophet Mohammed (SAWS). It’s origin was diverse, but it became perhaps the most firmly rooted in what we might now call Europe.

But Islamically, these sorts of dualisms are incorrect. The world does not divide neatly into opposing forces, one good and one evil. The world is not a binary of us and them. Nor are humans evil flesh and good spirit. We believe in pairs, yes. But not that one of the pair is good, and the other evil!

But everyone seems to have accepted this falsehood as reality! Including Muslims!

Let us consider, while looking at their traditional cultures: who is an “Easterner”? Someone from Algeria? From Iran? From India? From China? From Indonesia? Have all the peoples of these countries traditionally been the same? Did they all speak, think, dress, move, understand the world identically?!

And who is a “Westerner”? Was a Finn the same as a Welshman? A Hungarian the same as a Russian? A Greek? A Dane?!

This dichotomy of East and West is completely ridiculous! And yet it seems that everyone I know talks in these terms, including people whom I respect deeply! (seriously) But when we do so, it is so very easy to collapse people into very, very simple stereotypes, where “We” are essentially good. And “they” are essentially bad.

I reject this division.

I believe that there is no such thing as “the West”. And there is no such thing as “the East”. This is just a dichotomy that divides and conquers us. That prevents us from effectively working together to solve the problems that confront us all today. Instead, I embrace the Islamic idea that God made us essentially the same, in that our propensities towards good and evil actions are equally present in all groupings (ethnic, religious, national, social…) on this planet. And that each and every one of must must struggle, constantly, to tilt our actions towards the good. And that each and every one of us fails, every day, to do all we could do that is good. (sigh) And that indeed, too often, we cave in to one weakness or another: sloth, greed, jealousy, anger…

However, it is true that there is a very destructive force in our world today. We could perhaps call it the industrial monoculture. Or the industrial machine. Or the industrial corporate a-culture. Whatever we choose to call it, it is a cancerous amalgam of ideas that is destroying all the cultures on this planet. It demands uniformity, conformity, disconnection from family and traditional culture (from anything that might empower a human to stand up to the juggernaut). It tells us that bigger is better. That plants, animals and people are mere objects to use, interchange and discard. It tells us to follow our desires. To express our anger (but only towards “the other”- not the juggernaut- which, incidentally, is not a person, or even group of persons, but a set of ideas that we feed with our belief in them)). It tells us that we have no spiritual ends, that this existence is all that is. That only what can be seen, touched, smelt, heard, tasted… only this is real. It tells us that creation is defective, and that by applying ideas to generate maximum short-term profits, the juggernaut will correct the defects and solve all our problems. And it tells us that we are in a crisis and must hurry to implement the latest technological fix -now!!!

(mildly) These are some of the axioms of the juggernaut. There are others. But what we need to recognize is that these ideas have infiltrated everywhere. That there is no demon “other”, but that the demon is in our midst, whispering lies to each and every one of us. And that as long as we permit ourselves to be divided and manipulated (by the juggernaut that most of us serve in one form or another), we cannot work to rid ourselves of this cancer.

I believe that we all need set roots, and that we need to reconnect with whatever roots we may have. We need to comb through the treasuries of our forefathers and mothers’ experience and knowledge to find ways to deal not only with how we can heal ourselves of this juggernaut, but also how we can help heal the terrible destruction that we see all around us in creation, which is a reflection of the destruction within ourselves. And then we need to share strategies and work together, with the people around us that we know and care about.

(gently) Please, everyone, let us put our stereotypes aside and see each unique human being for the beautiful creation Allah Created. (smile) Yes, I realize that some people are closer to God than others (though we don’t know exactly how this will come out on the Day of Judgment…). And some people are easier to understand and work with than others. But there are gems everywhere. In India, the Gambia, Peru, Slovenia, Mongolia, Korea… there are beautiful people. Instead of looking for people who fit our stereotypes, perhaps we could look for these beautiful people, and see how we can work with them to do good?

(smile) Thank you for your patience in reading this essay.

May God, the Possessor of all the Beautiful Names, have Mercy on us, and Help us to re-balance ourselves and our world.
Thank you for your response.

There seems to be alot of predispositions here and I don't have the energy (or time) to clarify what I'm saying any further than I already have. I have never implied (or tried to anyway) that there is a clear cut "east and west" nor have I taken sides, nor do I take on the attitude that it is "us vs. them" nor do I promote this line of thought. (please consider I am hispanic, and my entire family lives in "the west" lol, I was born and raised here ). What I have been trying to get across has been lost in semantics. You seem to have a similar understanding though and you have expressed it much more eloquently than I have! Masha'Allah <3

I only got into this conversation because there is a very clear intolerance, misunderstanding and blanketing of other cultures by certain members here (so much so that the OP lost interest) and it is was approached in a negative and accusatory manner by a certain person, so in hopes that other converts read these threads, my intention was to balance these unfounded opinions that clearly come from personal perspectives/experiences only. It is a very prevalent attitude among converts (I was once there myself, years ago). I guess one can say, it is part of the journey, I dunno lol.

I am well aware that certain mentalities are widespread, but I'm also aware from where they stem from and it is something that we learn to overcome WITH TIME as we develop in our Islam. Insha'Allah.

What I don't appreciate is the intolerance and generalizations. So I will step in when I see that. As you said, there are gems everywhere. There is no need to make assumptions about others. Look at how I was addressed:

"If you want to be cleaning up after your husband, that's your issue. Teach your children that too, that women belong in the kitchen. *sarcasm*"

This person knows nothing about me, my household or my children. It is a very immature and hurtful way to behave towards someone.

This assumption is made of many women who choose to prioritize family vs leaving the home for 8+ hours per day and it is a very unfair assumption to make (this is after sharing personal experience in my home, mind you). I personally feel nothing towards that comment as it is a false assumption, but I work with women who lose their confidence and are deeply affected being constantly made to feel like their work and dedication isn't valued... by none other than their own womenfolk. Subhan Allah.

Serving the family has become some sort of crime, injustice, oppression and frowned upon. Sorry but I won't stand for that. Every time the subject comes up of a woman knowing how to cook *gasp* or clean *gasp* in forums or social media, it becomes about equality and gender roles. The OP had a very legitimate question, and in his culture (an obvious eastern one!) this is a normal dilemma to be in.

Anyway, not sure what else to respond except, I do appreciate your input :)

Umm♥Layth
08-02-2017, 08:19 PM
My posts were meant to go in that thread though, moving them would make them out of context. It isn't of much interest to me to discuss the east in west, nor was that my intention. Perhaps the title of discussion should be gender roles, feminism and culture?

MuslimInshallah
08-02-2017, 09:21 PM
Assalaamu alaikum Umm Layth,

(smile) I agree with you that the discussion above has quite a few different themes that could be extracted and given their due. But it seemed to me that the East vs West aspect was one that particularly needed dealing with. (gently) It is not only one poster who has this idea in their mind. For instance, I personally would not have classified the young man asking for advice in the other thread as an "Easterner", as this term is, in my opinion, meaningless. I prefer to think about an individual's particular cultural realities and try to speak to that.

I very much agree that a discussion about the stereotypes around women, their roles and the influence of culture is a valid one. And another poster has already opened a thread to specifically address this question, if you might like to continue exploring this aspect: https://www.islamicboard.com/general...ml#post2971854

May God, the Kind, Guide us in our discussions, so that we may enrich one another.

Abz2000
08-03-2017, 05:42 AM
I couldn't help laughing out loud when I read through my discourse with bhabha again.

Bhabha
08-03-2017, 02:44 PM
How come I couldn't see this on my phone o_o; I went to post and then it vanished and now it's back again.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.