/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Taking part in physical activities where men may be present

anonymous
08-04-2017, 11:03 PM
Salam

I was just wondering if as a woman it's permissible for me to take part in sports activities. We have a community fun day and primarily kids and mothers take part in a various kids activities. Of course I will be in full hijab but was wondering if it's still allowed if some men decide to turn up too as can be the case. It's just rather odd for me not to take part when everyone else is and I wear full hijab and Jilbab. I thinks it's a good dawah opportunity as if I win it would cast aside the false propaganda the media portrays re Muslim women being oppressed.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
anonymous
08-06-2017, 07:47 AM
Anyone care to give their opinion?

Simple_Person
08-06-2017, 10:52 AM
To my opinion, i look at these ayaat..

"O you who have believed, protect yourselves and your families from a Fire whose fuel is people and stones, over which are [appointed] angels, harsh and severe; they do not disobey Allah in what He commands them but do what they are commanded." Qur'an 66:6

You mentioned this.

I thinks it's a good dawah opportunity
In this aya and i may be wrong off course, but how i look at it is save yourself first. After you have done, save your family. Everything else (friends/strangers) come later on. As a male i KNOW myself and i KNOW how other guys think. The men of this day and age, are rather close to these types of men Allah mentioned in the Qur'an.

"And recite to them, [O Muhammad], the news of him to whom we gave [knowledge of] Our signs, but he detached himself from them; so Satan pursued him, and he became of the deviators." Qur'an 7:175

"And if We had willed, we could have elevated him thereby, but he adhered [instead] to the earth and followed his own desire. So his example is like that of the dog: if you chase him, he pants, or if you leave him, he [still] pants. That is the example of the people who denied Our signs. So relate the stories that perhaps they will give thought." Qur'an 7:176

This type of "man" he will even assault a tree. So rather take the necessary steps to save yourself first.

To this type of man in Islam we have a solution, which is a male-mahram being present if you for example go shopping or something like that. You also KNOW direct contact (free-mixing) is not allowed in Islam. For this i use the example of this..

"And when he came to the well of Madyan, he found there a crowd of people watering [their flocks], and he found aside from them two women driving back [their flocks]. He said, "What is your circumstance?" They said, "We do not water until the shepherds dispatch [their flocks]; and our father is an old man." Qur'an 28:23

And Allah knows best

anonymous
08-06-2017, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the feedback but this is a purely a community event so only parents will be present primarily mothers . yes the event is supervised by males but I feel by refusing to take part it only strengthens the narrative that Muslim women are oppressed to the extent their not allowed to take part in communal events . I must stress I am in full hijab as are the majority of participants. As western citizens I'm not saying change the divine law but at least use wisdom.

I just feel times were ultra conservative and this damages our image.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
anonymous
08-06-2017, 08:09 PM
Wa'alaikum as'salaam,

I was just wondering if as a woman it's permissible for me to take part in sports activities. We have a community fun day and primarily kids and mothers take part in a various kids activities. Of course I will be in full hijab but was wondering if it's still allowed if some men decide to turn up too as can be the case. It's just rather odd for me not to take part when everyone else is and I wear full hijab and Jilbab. I thinks it's a good dawah opportunity as if I win it would cast aside the false propaganda the media portrays re Muslim women being oppressed.

this is a purely a community event so only parents will be present primarily mothers . yes the event is supervised by males but I feel by refusing to take part it only strengthens the narrative that Muslim women are oppressed to the extent their not allowed to take part in communal events . I must stress I am in full hijab as are the majority of participants. As western citizens I'm not saying change the divine law but at least use wisdom.

Normally, Engaging in sport should be far removed from the eyes of men, whether they are trainers, teachers, students, administrators or spectators. A muslim woman is composed when outside and among non-mahrams.

Refusing to take part for fear of others seeing you as oppressed is not a valid reason, all this would show is your willing to compromise your deen in order to please them. You should not use that or how you will be judged or seen as criteria for how you should conduct yourself in public.

With that said, you could partake in some of those sports activities depending on the sport and the environment and you. For example, if it's a sport that requires not much physical movement on your part then that would work (like fishing, table tennis, etc). but if it requires some physical exertion then two things should be kept in mind. if men are present, then it should be avoided. and if one's jilbab is not loose enough or she is endowed with large assets that will stand out and attract attention from too much movement then such activities in presence of men would not be allowed.

So I guess a cautious judgement would be considered if one were to take part in such activities.

Simple_Person
08-07-2017, 07:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
Thanks for the feedback but this is a purely a community event so only parents will be present primarily mothers . yes the event is supervised by males but I feel by refusing to take part it only strengthens the narrative that Muslim women are oppressed to the extent their not allowed to take part in communal events . I must stress I am in full hijab as are the majority of participants. As western citizens I'm not saying change the divine law but at least use wisdom.

I often have pondered about this

ultra conservative and this damages our image
Every single time i am reminded how foolish we are. To give you some examples. I am a unmarried Muslim male. I do talk to my neighbor. On one side western neighbors (male and female). I talk most of the time to my male neighbor and i also have made it clear about certain things with whole female things etc with my female neighbor. She respected it and did not object whatsoever. How you make it clear is part of wisdom. For example why not looking at other women as a Muslim male or talking to them.

I now and then say hello to my western female neighbor if we are in direct eye contact so to say or have a very small talk and leave it like that. On the other side is a Muslim couple..to the male i talk. To his wife i do not greet unless she greets me first. I THINK because of that they even come to like me more.

However the foolish part that i am talking about is to "force" yourself to "adapt" to THEIR way of life and thinking. I have seen often it is not necessarily we are at fault with or Islamic values, rather it is THEY just do not care to listen or find out why this or why that. My western neighbors alhamdulillah do want to listen, but there are so many other that rather feel offended somehow. This isn't because you offended them or differ from their opinion, it is rather the disease in their heart.

To be honest, this whole topic was "to justify" yourself, you were not here to "question" or seek some answer, you rather want to justify ..you see what i have done..etc. etc. Dealing with wisdom by dipping your toe in lava isn't really wisdom when somebody knows it is lava and it will harm you by even approaching it. In this case when Allah already made clear to us this or that.

I try now and then to refresh the signs of the Day of Judgement and just yesterday i re-read this hadith.

======Hadith=====
“Before the Hour comes, there will be tribulation like pieces of black night, when a man will wake up as a believer but be a disbeliever by evening, or he will be a believer in the evening but will be a disbeliever by morning. And the one who is sitting will be better than the one who is standing, and the one who is standing will be better than the one who is walking, and the one who is walking will be better than the one who is running. So break your bows, cut their strings and strike your swords against rocks, and if anyone enters upon anyone of you, let him be like the better of the two sons of Adam. (i.e. the one killed, not the killer).”

Source used: https://sunnah.com/ibnmajah/36/36
===============

I have read this hadith many times over some years but just recently maybe about 1-2 months ago i understood it why Rasullah(saws) said one who stands is better than who walks and the one who walks will be better than one who runs etc. etc.

It is partaking in the fitnah. If lets say person X partakes 10% in the fitnah, while person Y takes 20%, person X is better than person Y. If person Z partakes 30% in the fitnah person Y with 20% will be better than person Z.

Some acquaintances of mine (western people brought up as Christians, but have left Christianity more or less) i tried to make some things clear just recently to them about how corrupt the world has become and the acquaintance said "yeah, but what can we do about it?". I said stop voting as this whole system is already corrupt. They laughed at me more or less..this was sort of wake up call..that these people do NOT care to listen..to question..to think. They have been herded like pack of sheep so much they do not think for themselves anymore. So whatever "community" they even introduce to "bring people together", there are more than enough other ways to do da'wah without free mixing. For example, taking a walk in to the park or when in the park having a chat with a female from your side or for me to a male as i often do have small talk with people outside. The question rather is if you are not that type, how come you do not have small talk with other females of other faiths when you do even your groceries. Why "wait" until "community-gatherings" are introduced as you MUST play according to THEIR rulings, while having a small talk with your western female neighbor or just other neighbors from the neighborhood at the store..and thus according to ISLAMIC rulings of not free mixing.

So if you talk about "wisdom"..what is more wisdom? Going according to THEIR rules of free mixing OR creating your OWN game by YOUR rules? Think about it.

anonymous
08-07-2017, 08:39 PM
I appreciate your thorough response. I think you are right in many aspects in fairness.

Jazzak Allah

Simple_Person
08-08-2017, 02:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
I appreciate your thorough response. I think you are right in many aspects in fairness.

Jazzak Allah
Alhamdulillah, thank Allah for any benefit you have gained in my reply.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.