PDA

View Full Version : Ask me (an atheist) anything!



L a n a
08-21-2017, 03:22 AM
I’m sort of new to IslamicBoard and I’ve been wanting to be more active on this site. However, I feel like I can’t really participate on many of the threads, as I’d be inserting myself into topics/discussions that don’t really concern me (i.e. Islamic marriage, Islamic advice, etc.).

So…I decided to start this thread. You fellas/ladies can ask me questions about literally anything; my particular flavor of atheism, my views on religion, politics, music, etc., they don’t have to be related to religion at all. I most likely won’t get offended by anything, so ask away.

Hopefully this will be a good way to talk to and get to know some of you :D
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
eesa the kiwi
08-21-2017, 07:45 AM
What's holding you back from embracing islam?
What parts of Islam you feel like you need some more clarity on?
Reply

sister herb
08-21-2017, 08:31 AM
To which kind of ideology you base your morality? As it´s said in Islam (and few other religions too) that for example stealing or killing are the things you should avoid also majority of people without religion think alike. We believe that it´s religion who teach those things to us but does atheism also teach the same or from where you have learnt those basic moral ideas? (I suppose you have learnt them of course.)
Reply

Simple_Person
08-21-2017, 08:32 AM
Do you think that Islam says blindly follow and do not use your head?

If yes, based on what do you say that?

If no, based on what do you say that?
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Abu Fauzi
08-21-2017, 08:39 AM
Peace to one and all,
As Lana gives us the chance... I would like to ask her a question viz:--

(1) How did she come to this planet earth and why is she here?

(2) Does the image she sees, looking like her, when she looks into her dressing mirror
have all the features/characteristics of a living being/person? If not, why not.
Reply

STN
08-21-2017, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by L a n a
I’m sort of new to IslamicBoard and I’ve been wanting to be more active on this site. However, I feel like I can’t really participate on many of the threads, as I’d be inserting myself into topics/discussions that don’t really concern me (i.e. Islamic marriage, Islamic advice, etc.).

So…I decided to start this thread. You fellas/ladies can ask me questions about literally anything; my particular flavor of atheism, my views on religion, politics, music, etc., they don’t have to be related to religion at all. I most likely won’t get offended by anything, so ask away.

Hopefully this will be a good way to talk to and get to know some of you :D
I really have a simple question and i want you to answer it honestly with thought.

Are you interested in knowing about God (Allah) and the evidences and proofs that show Allah is Al-Haq ? How sincere are you in knowing about Allah ?
Reply

L a n a
08-21-2017, 02:47 PM
Hi @eesa the kiwi

Thank you for the questions.

Originally Posted by eesa the kiwi
What's holding you back from embracing islam?
Well, I guess the first thing would have to do with not believing in any gods/deities. It's nothing personal, I haven't embraced any of the other religions either, besides Unitarian Universalism when I was younger.

Originally Posted by eesa the kiwi
What parts of Islam you feel like you need some more clarity on?
I can't say that there is any part of Islam that I need clarity on at this point in time, since I understand the basic beliefs and practices. I'm here on Islamic Board because I like talking to different types of people, whether I share their exact beliefs or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi @sister herb

Originally Posted by sister herb
To which kind of ideology you base your morality? As it´s said in Islam (and few other religions too) that for example stealing or killing are the things you should avoid also majority of people without religion think alike. We believe that it´s religion who teach those things to us but does atheism also teach the same or from where you have learnt those basic moral ideas? (I suppose you have learnt them of course.)
I couldn't name any specific ideology that I live by, besides "treating others the same way I would like to be treated" (i.e. the Golden rule).

My morality was dictated by society and my parents. You know the usual, "stealing is bad, lying is bad, hurting others is bad, cheating is bad,..." Good things of course, and not specific to any religion.

Atheism is simply a disbelief of any deities, and has nothing to do with morality. It's not a religion, there is no holy book, no creed, no holy leaders/authorities, no rituals, none of that. A lot of people seem to think that atheism is a type of belief system or ideology, but it literally doesn't teach anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi @Simple_Person

Originally Posted by Simple_Person
Do you think that Islam says blindly follow and do not use your head?
I'm going to assume, no, that Islam (or any religion for that matter), doesn't encourage its adherents to be blind followers.

Originally Posted by Simple_Person
If no, based on what do you say that?
My reason for saying "no" is that I find it hard to believe that any religion would actively encourage that type of behavior. However, people themselves can become blind followers who don't question anything.
Reply

OnePath
08-21-2017, 03:01 PM
Why did you become an atheist?

Not all atheists are hostile toward Religion. Are you and if so, why?

Have you asked yourself, what if you’re wrong and there is a heaven and a hell?

What happens after you die and what proof of your belief do you have?

Do you believe in objective truth?
Reply

L a n a
08-21-2017, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by Abu Fauzi
Peace to one and all,
As Lana gives us the chance... I would like to ask her a question viz:--
Hello @Abu Fauzi

Originally Posted by Abu Fauzi
(1) How did she come to this planet earth and why is she here?
Once upon a time, in 1995 to be specific, my mother and father were "in the mood" (ugh, just got some images in my head that I CANNOT unsee lol), and that resulted in a pregnancy. My mother carried me for just about 9 months, and I was born on May 2 1996 via Cesarean section. That's how I personally came to Earth.

Originally Posted by Abu Fauzi
(2) Does the image she sees, looking like her, when she looks into her dressing mirror
have all the features/characteristics of a living being/person?
Yup, as far as I'm concerned, I'm still a flesh and blood human being. Unless this reality is a lie and we are all nothing but computer simulations on some greasy, teenaged alien's version of The Sims: Universe Edition.
Reply

Simple_Person
08-21-2017, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by L a n a
Hi @eesa the kiwi

My reason for saying "no" is that I find it hard to believe that any religion would actively encourage that type of behavior. However, people themselves can become blind followers who don't question anything.
If you say no, how come you disagree with Muslims believing in a deity, while you are of opinion that Muslims do use their head and thus have come to the conclusion of there being a deity based on logic, rationality and reason?

ps. Answer other questions also, be equal in answering questions of others before concentrating on the discussion between you and me.
Reply

L a n a
08-21-2017, 03:13 PM
Hi @STN

Originally Posted by STN
I really have a simple question and i want you to answer it honestly with thought.

Are you interested in knowing about God (Allah) and the evidences and proofs that show Allah is Al-Haq ? How sincere are you in knowing about Allah ?
I don't think I understand your question, but I'll try to answer it anyways.

I don't believe in God/Allah, so I'm not sure how I can know this deity, if that makes any sense. I also don't know what "Al-Haq" is :embarrass.
Reply

Umm Malik
08-21-2017, 03:32 PM
hi Lana
this is Maryam with you
welcome between us
I would like to ask you ...
have you ever think about God
have you ever think about what if there is a god and you don't taste this best sweetness in your life ??
my question seems the seems as many questions but do you think that there is no God ???
I know that God and I hope one day you will know him also.
thank you Lana
Reply

L a n a
08-21-2017, 03:58 PM
Hello @OnePath

Originally Posted by OnePath
Why did you become an atheist?
I don't believe in god, and I was never particularly religious, even when I did consider myself to be a Christian (Unitarian Christian; a bit different from mainstream Christianity). Atheist is just the catch-all term for anyone who doesn't believe in any deities.

Originally Posted by OnePath
Not all atheists are hostile toward Religion. Are you and if so, why?
I would say most atheists aren't hostile towards religion at all. But like any group, you will find your vocal minority who are loud, annoying, and aggressive. Kind of like with veganism, where some are annoying and pushy with their views, while the rest of us have no problem enjoying our veggie wraps while our friends/family eat their burgers, chicken, etc.

I'm definitely not hostile towards religion or the religious, as they are people who are near and dear to me; my parents and younger sister are Unitarian Christians, my boyfriend is ex-Catholic, my older sisters are Jewish, and I have friends who are Christian, Jewish, Hindu, Sikh, Buddhist, Mormon, and even one who tried to dabble in Scientology. I have no reason to be hostile to any of their religions or their views, since their beliefs are their own and have no effect on me or my personal life.

If anything, I'm mostly indifferent towards religion. I don't love religion, but I certainly don't hate them either.

Originally Posted by OnePath
Have you asked yourself, what if you’re wrong and there is a heaven and a hell?
No, since the idea of heaven and hell sounds a lot like "Santa will give you presents if you're a good girl/boy, or a lump of coal if you're bad", but for grown-ups. I get that it's scary and terrifying for the religious, especially if you've been raised since birth to be afraid of hell/look forward to heaven. But I'm not religious, so heaven/hell speak has no real effect on me. Besides, I can't force myself to believe in something just in the off-chance that I might be wrong. Then there would be the issue of trying to select the one true religion (which every religion claims to be), out of the thousands that exist currently.

Originally Posted by OnePath
What happens after you die and what proof of your belief do you have?
I have no idea tbh. I've never died, obviously, and I've never spoken to the dead before. Except for that one time I astral projected, and *apparently* spoke to dead family members about their experiences as slaves on the sugar plantations of Jamaica, and different dimensions/planes of existence. However, I'm pretty certain that astral projection/out-of-body experiences are just really trippy, vivid dreams.

I'll just have to wait and see, I suppose.

Originally Posted by OnePath
Do you believe in objective truth?
Sure:
-water is wet
-Wyoming is a US state
-2+2=4
-Coke is better than Pepsi
Reply

L a n a
08-21-2017, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Simple_Person
If you say no, how come you disagree with Muslims believing in a deity, while you are of opinion that Muslims do use their head and thus have come to the conclusion of there being a deity based on logic, rationality and reason?

ps. Answer other questions also, be equal in answering questions of others before concentrating on the discussion between you and me.
Well, because I don't believe in the deity that Muslims believe in. However, that still doesn't mean that I think all religious people are "blindly following" their religion. Some are just blind followers who were born into the religion, that's a given, but others actively choose to follow their religion, sometimes after months or even years of studying or building up faith for conversion. That is their truth, and that is absolutely not a problem to me.
Reply

Simple_Person
08-21-2017, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by L a n a
Well, because I don't believe in the deity that Muslims believe in. However, that still doesn't mean that I think all religious people are "blindly following" their religion. Some are just blind followers who were born into the religion, that's a given, but others actively choose to follow their religion, sometimes after months or even years of studying or building up faith for conversion. That is their truth, and that is absolutely not a problem to me.
You are contradicting yourself. You say you do not BELIEVE in the deity Muslim believe, yet you say Muslims base their belief on their thinking (ie logic, rationality and reason). As you said, they do not follow blind belief without using their head.

So what is it now..is their belief based on logic, rationality and reason?
OR is their belief based on blind belief?

If it is based on logic, rationality and reason, what keeps you following logic, rationality and reason ..thus becoming a Muslim yourself.

If it is based on blind belief again, what is your argument saying they have this blind belief without using logic, rationality and reason?

EDIT: To make things a bit more clear. I say EVERY OTHER religion INCLUDING atheism (speaking as an ex-atheist), is blind belief. I say this based on logic, rationality and reason. Although i say philosophy does help a little hand to ponder deeply about matters.
Reply

sister herb
08-21-2017, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by L a n a
I also don't know what "Al-Haq" is :embarrass.
Al-Haq means "the Truth", which is one of the names of Allah, mentioned in the Quran.

I think members should to be carefull when using such Arabic terms and words here when discuss with non-Muslims.
Reply

fschmidt
08-21-2017, 05:05 PM
Was any rising culture in history atheistic? Why were so many declining cultures in history atheistic (Late Athens, Declining Rome, etc.)? Did any atheistic culture ever transition to democracy?
Reply

Ephémère
08-21-2017, 07:01 PM
Hello @L a n a

Originally Posted by L a n a
I’m sort of new to IslamicBoard and I’ve been wanting to be more active on this site. However, I feel like I can’t really participate on many of the threads, as I’d be inserting myself into topics/discussions that don’t really concern me (i.e. Islamic marriage, Islamic advice, etc.).

So…I decided to start this thread. You fellas/ladies can ask me questions about literally anything; my particular flavor of atheism, my views on religion, politics, music, etc., they don’t have to be related to religion at all. I most likely won’t get offended by anything, so ask away.

Hopefully this will be a good way to talk to and get to know some of you :D
I've been genuinely curious about this: What is your purpose in life? Do you feel like you have to accomplish something before you die? Not necessarily you, but the whole humanity in general... How do you make sense of this life?
Reply

Scimitar
08-21-2017, 10:34 PM
To the atheist!!! Hi,

My questions are as follows and i'd like to read your answers.

Were you created from nothing?

or, did you create yourself?

or, did you create the heavens and the earth?

Or will you be honest and say, "i am not certain" ???!!!

Scimi
Reply

L a n a
08-22-2017, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by Umm Malik
hi Lana
this is Maryam with you
Hi Maryam. Sorry for the late reply, I ended up having a pretty busy day yesterday and wasn't able to log in and finish replying to the posts. But I'm back now.

Originally Posted by Umm Malik
I would like to ask you ...
have you ever think about God
have you ever think about what if there is a god and you don't taste this best sweetness in your life ??
No, in my typical day to day life I don't think about god. I also don't worry/care about whether or not god(s) exists or not. It's just really not a concern to me.

Originally Posted by Umm Malik
my question seems the seems as many questions but do you think that there is no God ???
I don't believe in any gods, no. I view all of the religions and their deities as the creation of the human mind to ease anxiety about death and more importantly, control the populace. However, I don't claim that some type of impersonal, creating force couldn't possibly exist.

Originally Posted by Umm Malik
I know that God and I hope one day you will know him also.
thank you Lana
No, thank you for the questions Maryam!

- - - Updated - - -

I want to add some more details about me.

I tend to just call myself "non-religious" or "atheist" when people ask me, because those terms are fairly easy enough for most people to understand.

However, I would actually best be classified as an "apatheistic atheist". As in, I don't believe in god(s), but I'm also very indifferent/apathetic towards the idea of whether god(s) exist or not, in general. You'll never see my debating for or against the existence of gods, for example. It's just not something I care enough about to ever do.

Just thought I'd squeeze this in here, before there are any more replies.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by Simple_Person
You are contradicting yourself. You say you do not BELIEVE in the deity Muslim believe, yet you say Muslims base their belief on their thinking (ie logic, rationality and reason). As you said, they do not follow blind belief without using their head.

So what is it now..is their belief based on logic, rationality and reason?
OR is their belief based on blind belief?

If it is based on logic, rationality and reason, what keeps you following logic, rationality and reason ..thus becoming a Muslim yourself.

If it is based on blind belief again, what is your argument saying they have this blind belief without using logic, rationality and reason?

EDIT: To make things a bit more clear. I say EVERY OTHER religion INCLUDING atheism (speaking as an ex-atheist), is blind belief. I say this based on logic, rationality and reason. Although i say philosophy does help a little hand to ponder deeply about matters.
I've never read the quran or any other islamic material, so much of what I said was based on assumptions. However, I'm respectful enough to not assume that Muslims or any other religious group are non-thinking beings who just follow whatever is written in old books. Rather, they are people who think that the religion and their holy books makes sense to them.

I personally don't think there is much "logic, rationality, or reason" in most of the religious beliefs/practices out there, but if it makes sense to the faithful, then good for them. Doesn't have to make sense to me (and they often don't). If that is what gets them up in the morning, and makes them the best person they can be, then great.

This is what I'm trying to say, *but I've never been the best at expressing myself in written format. So bear with me if maybe something I write isn't clear enoug

Concerning "blind faith", I'm sure there is a great degree of that in any religion out there. Being able to say that one's faith is the "one and true" is an example of that. But we put blind faith in a lot of things, so it's not really specific to religion at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by fschmidt
Was any rising culture in history atheistic? Why were so many declining cultures in history atheistic (Late Athens, Declining Rome, etc.)? Did any atheistic culture ever transition to democracy?
I'm a history major, but my concentration has mostly been on Transnational Black History (emphasis on the Caribbean and South America) and African American Civil Rights, so I'll admit that my knowledge on ancient western history isn't the best. I'll do some light research later if I have the time and get back to you if I find anything.

If I forget to reply to you, just remind me.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi @Ephémère
Originally Posted by Ephémère
I've been genuinely curious about this: What is your purpose in life? Do you feel like you have to accomplish something before you die? Not necessarily you, but the whole humanity in general... How do you make sense of this life?
No, I don't believe that there is any inherent "purpose of life", other than attempting to be reproductively successful and spread your genes for as many generations as possible. But that's about it.

Individually, as human beings, we define and attempt to achieve our own "purpose" or goals in life.

How do I make sense of this life? Haha, I don't try to "make sense" of life, generally speaking. Life is crazy, it's intense, it's calm, it's hectic, it's....an adventure. That's how I see life, as an adventure, where one experience is never like the other.
Reply

M.I.A.
08-22-2017, 04:14 PM
However, I don't claim that some type of impersonal, creating force-couldn'tpossibly exist.-
...what does this mean o_0
Reply

L a n a
08-22-2017, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Scimitar
To the atheist!!! Hi,
Hello Sir Scimitar,

Originally Posted by Scimitar
Were you created from nothing?
My parent's played a large part in creating me. You know how the whole egg+sperm merging typically goes...

Originally Posted by Scimitar
or, did you create yourself?
No, haha.

Originally Posted by Scimitar
or, did you create the heavens and the earth?
I have no idea what the specifics/exactly how the universe was formed (I wasn't there), but the "big bang" seems to be the go to theory by most these days.

Originally Posted by Scimitar
Or will you be honest and say, "i am not certain" ???!!!
Lol, I say "I don't know" all the time!!! When my friends and I try to have "fake deep" philosophical discussions, my apatheistic side will take over and I'm always the one to conclude with "At the end of the day nobody knows how it all started, maybe it was god/a creator, maybe it was aliens, maybe we're all just a big random mess of randomness. But that was billions of years ago and humans are too stupid/trifling to ever create a backwards time machine, so we'll most likely never know. And I don't really care tbh. Let go get some lunch, I'm starving!!" Usually something along those lines.
Reply

Simple_Person
08-22-2017, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by L a n a

I've never read the quran or any other islamic material, so much of what I said was based on assumptions. However, I'm respectful enough to not assume that Muslims or any other religious group are non-thinking beings who just follow whatever is written in old books. Rather, they are people who think that the religion and their holy books makes sense to them.

I personally don't think there is much "logic, rationality, or reason" in most of the religious beliefs/practices out there, but if it makes sense to the faithful, then good for them. Doesn't have to make sense to me (and they often don't). If that is what gets them up in the morning, and makes them the best person they can be, then great.

This is what I'm trying to say, *but I've never been the best at expressing myself in written format. So bear with me if maybe something I write isn't clear enoug

Concerning "blind faith", I'm sure there is a great degree of that in any religion out there. Being able to say that one's faith is the "one and true" is an example of that. But we put blind faith in a lot of things, so it's not really specific to religion at all.
Again you are contradicting yourself.

You said

Well, because I don't believe in the deity that Muslims believe in
Not believing in the deity Muslims believe in IS BASED ON YOUR OWN RESEARCH. So now you are saying..well i do not know anything about Islam and what's all about, "but i just don't believe in it". This is what one calls blind belief by not even assessing it. In other words is like saying person X has not killed the victim, based on i just don't believe it. If one says have you looked at the evidence? You're reply is, well no just i don't believe he has done it.

Now you see how foolish you look if you would do such a thing right..well you are doing it right now. We are not talking about Christians (no offence) saying well Jesus(pbuh) died for our sins, based on illogical, irrational and unreasonable argument.

Sister you said

I personally don't think there is much...
It is not matter of thinking as you are rather referring to YOU ASSUMING. In Islam is matter of accessing the evidence. Based on the evidence certain steps are taken including becoming Muslim. That is what i have done thus became a Muslim. So that is what i with a serious face am looking at you as ..what is wrong with you? I EXPECTED seriously more of you because you say you are an atheist. As atheists base their thinking on evidence. What is going on? Are you also a sheep just like many religious people out there, that believe without using logic, rationality and reason with proof? Please give me some good firm argument, because you are really letting me down with this blind-follow-belief mentality.
Reply

L a n a
08-22-2017, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by M.I.A.
...what does this mean o_0
Exactly what I wrote. I don't believe in any gods.

Howeveeerr, I don't claim that an impersonal (i.e. doesn't care about us) higher power/creator/"the source" couldn't/doesn't exist. I 100% don't believe in any of the religions and their deities here on Earth tho.

Maybe I should have clarified what I meant, my bad.
Reply

fschmidt
08-22-2017, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by L a n a
I view all of the religions and their deities as the creation of the human mind
Are the laws of physics a creation of the human mind?
Reply

L a n a
08-22-2017, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Simple_Person
Are you also a sheep just like many religious people out there, that believe without using logic, rationality and reason with proof?
Atheists don't all think alike (other than simply not believing in any gods).
-There are gnostic atheists who also take the firm position that they know that there aren't any gods/creator/higher power/"main source". I don't.
-I'm more agnostic and apatheistic in my approach to atheism: believe that it would be impossible to ever know if a god/gods exists, and I'm rather indifferent when it comes to religion and/or "proving" the existence/non-existence of gods in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by Simple_Person
Are you also a sheep just like many religious people out there, that believe without using logic, rationality and reason with proof?
Atheists don't all think alike (other than simply not believing in any gods).
-There are gnostic atheists who also take the firm position that they know that there aren't any gods/creator/higher power/"main source". I don't.
-I'm more agnostic and apatheistic in my approach to atheism: believe that it would be impossible to ever know if a god/gods exists, and I'm rather indifferent when it comes to religion and/or "proving" the existence/non-existence of gods in the first place.
Reply

M.I.A.
08-22-2017, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by L a n a
Exactly what I wrote. I don't believe in any gods.

Howeveeerr, I don't claim that an impersonal (i.e. doesn't care about us) higher power/creator/"the source" couldn't/doesn't exist. I 100% don't believe in any of the religions and their deities here on Earth tho.

Maybe I should have clarified what I meant, my bad.
And what does the source do? "/

..what is it allegedly responsible for?

..im just asking because if you have thought about it, you must have thought about it.

:|
Reply

Simple_Person
08-22-2017, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by L a n a
Atheists don't all think alike (other than simply not believing in any gods).
-There are gnostic atheists who also take the firm position that they know that there aren't any gods/creator/higher power/"main source". I don't.
-I'm more agnostic and apatheistic in my approach to atheism: believe that it would be impossible to ever know if a god/gods exists, and I'm rather indifferent when it comes to religion and/or "proving" the existence/non-existence of gods in the first place.
Sister, i know to your heart is seems just ridiculous that a BOOK has come from a Creator. You are not the first, i was also one of them. Also to you it sounds ridiculous that religion can be based on logic, rationality and reason. Again you would not be the first one to think like that.

However it is something so strange that it is exactly that, based on logic, rationality and reason. In the Qur'an it says "Truth is clear from falsehood".

"And say, "Truth has come, and falsehood has departed. Indeed is falsehood, [by nature], ever bound to depart." Qur'an 17:81

This indeed is true, if one would assess the evidence every bit of lie is revealed..(ie all other religions). No religion survives when critical questions are being asked, except the truth whatever that might be. So the question and even advice to you is to question EVERY single religion including atheism. You will see how no lie can survive, this is also with all man-made religions or better said religions that have been tempered with by humans. You are still alive, in other words you still have given time to do so. After death there is no way back, if you have not done your research and you say well all religions were man-made. If after you die and there is a God it was asked did you not have internet to search? Did you not have any time to search? Did you not have anybody to ask questions to? What will you say?

Islam says question, reflect, ponder, THINK. Don't be a sheep. Ask questions.
Reply

Scimitar
08-23-2017, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by L a n a
Hello Sir Scimitar,



My parent's played a large part in creating me. You know how the whole egg+sperm merging typically goes...



No, haha.



I have no idea what the specifics/exactly how the universe was formed (I wasn't there), but the "big bang" seems to be the go to theory by most these days.



Lol, I say "I don't know" all the time!!! When my friends and I try to have "fake deep" philosophical discussions, my apatheistic side will take over and I'm always the one to conclude with "At the end of the day nobody knows how it all started, maybe it was god/a creator, maybe it was aliens, maybe we're all just a big random mess of randomness. But that was billions of years ago and humans are too stupid/trifling to ever create a backwards time machine, so we'll most likely never know. And I don't really care tbh. Let go get some lunch, I'm starving!!" Usually something along those lines.
So you basically know nothing!!! ok got it!

I have no further questions, your uncertainty is hardly educational, no offence!
Reply

L a n a
08-23-2017, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by Scimitar
So you basically know nothing!!! ok got it!

I have no further questions, your uncertainty is hardly educational, no offence!
None taken!
Reply

noraina
08-24-2017, 03:18 PM
Assalamu alaykum and hi,

@L a n a, I found your answers interesting. You don't seem to be one of those zealous or militaristic atheists (which is a good thing, although they are fun to debate with :D), you do really seem quite indifferent to religion, or indeed, having no religion at all.

So do you not really care at all what someone does or does not believe in? Do you have some sort of goal or idea about how you would want society to be, and on what moral and ideological foundations an 'ideal' society should be based? What do you think your purpose is, if at all?

Do you think religion is a good thing, or is the world better off without it?

You were born in 1996? I'm three years younger than you. We're both young (relatively, lol), female, and have grown up in a Western society. Similar, but different. I'm a Muslim who passionately (in a good way ;)) believes in her religion. I dress as a Muslim, eat as a Muslim, practice as a Muslim, and God is the most central part of my life. What do you think of people like me with really firm religious convictions? Do you feel sorry for them, or frustrated, or nothing at all?

Sorry for all these questions, lol. I'm looking forward to your answers. x.
Reply

Umm Malik
08-24-2017, 07:50 PM

No, thank you for the questions Maryam!

- - - Updated - - -

I want to add some more details about me.

I tend to just call myself "non-religious" or "atheist" when people ask me, because those terms are fairly easy enough for most people to understand.

However, I would actually best be classified as an "apatheistic atheist". As in, I don't believe in god(s), but I'm also very indifferent/apathetic towards the idea of whether god(s) exist or not, in general. You'll never see my debating for or against the existence of gods, for example. It's just not something I care enough about to ever do.

Just thought I'd squeeze this in here, before there are any more replies.
thank you Lana ... but if there is a god is better to know him
if you want this ... than I think this video can give you some ideas about this
you know sister that I belive in that and I am sure about it I want you to know this ... because I want the good for you
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9RuQMD4yYWg
welcome on IB forum
good staying
Reply

Simple_Person
08-24-2017, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by L a n a
-
sister, as brother scimitair also said, "you know nothing". It is rather strange to open a topic as ask me anything, but there isn't anything you know be it about atheism or agnosticism one even could say. All is based on feelings and no intellectual debate to be found. While "asking you anything" is rather sort of indication of starting intellectual debate, but what intellectual debate if you know nothing??

I would say "retreat" yourself and go gain some serious intellectual knowledge about religions but also about atheism itself. Because you will only loose face if you try to sound intelligent and try to start a debate with somebody be it on internet or in real life.

Don't think i am insulting you or putting you down, i am only throwing reality in to your face. One could see it as a insult what i just said, while the wise person sees it as .."this guy has a point and takes the advice".
Reply

sister herb
08-24-2017, 08:45 PM
I don´t think that any outsider can describe what atheism is than only a person himself as atheism is not proportional like some religion with scriptures or philosophy theory with it´s sources. Everyone has right to describe atheism what suits to he (she in this case) and what it means to he (or she). But thats my opinion and I am not atheist.
Reply

Simple_Person
08-24-2017, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by sister herb
I don´t think that any outsider can describe what atheism is than only a person himself as atheism is not proportional like some religion with scriptures or philosophy theory with it´s sources. Everyone has right to describe atheism what suits to he (she in this case) and what it means to he (or she). But thats my opinion and I am not atheist.
Somebody who doesn't know if a God exist, is NOT a atheist, rather agnostic. They say i don't know if a God exist or not exist. As an ex-atheist i can relate as my firm stance WAS that there was no Creator back then.

The agnostics if you ask me are a bit problematic, as these people don't take a stance. They are the wanders of belief. Neither belief neither disbelieve so to say. However their way of life is based on atheistic lifestyle and what they deem worthy and not worthy..all based on their desires.

Because these people don't take any firm stance when it comes to existence of a Creator or not, it is if you ask me just futile to even start a discussion with such people. If you even throw a stone at their face, they would still say but i don't know if stones exist. They even refuse to use their head, while atheist cling on "no there is no Creator"-mentality. The agnostics if you ask me are in the same boat a bit like Christians (no offense). Their stance is based on feelings and NOTHING on logic, rationality and reason. Atheist do use logic, rationality and reason, although the outcome is wrongly concluded, but they at least try to use.

Being a Muslim for about 4 years i have noticed that things are SOO SIMPLE. It is like searching something, but it is RIGHT under your nose and you NEVER noticed it. It all comes down on simply using logic, rationality and reason. Because Qur'an often talks about pondering, reflecting ..don't they think etc., this is a confirmation that everybody who disbelieves are able to think logically, rationally and reasonably. The problem doesn't lie in inability to use their brain. It is their dishonesty, arrogance, pride, lack of interest, etc. etc. So it comes really down on feelings (ie the heart).

You see this very often that when atheist even start a discussion with Muslims, it is not as if Muslims lack the intellectual side or inability to use logic, rationality and reason, they are baffled by the firm stance Muslims take but all based on logic, rationality and reason with proof. However they suddenly make the debate/discussion about "winning" it not really pursuing what the truth might be.

Anyways, death doesn't wait for anybody..be it a Muslim or somebody of other faith.
Reply

Reminder
08-24-2017, 10:49 PM
The higher the intelligence of anything, the more complex things it can build.

Given that we can build a robot, but not a Human, what is your explanation for why there is not a higher intelligence that does it?

(don't forget the more complex something is, the more intelligence that is required to create it)
Reply

keiv
08-25-2017, 12:59 AM
Do you think the world would be a better place without religion? If so, why? If not, why?

What do you think the world would be like had religion never existed?
Reply

L a n a
08-25-2017, 01:56 AM
Originally Posted by noraina
Assalamu alaykum and hi,
Hi noraina.

Originally Posted by noraina
@L a n a, I found your answers interesting. You don't seem to be one of those zealous or militaristic atheists (which is a good thing, although they are fun to debate with ), you do really seem quite indifferent to religion, or indeed, having no religion at all.
Haha I'm a fairly laid back person, so being "zealous" and "militaristic" is definitely NOT my brand.

Originally Posted by noraina
So do you not really care at all what someone does or does not believe in?
No, not really. I know wayyyyy too many people who are religious (to certain extents), and it has never once crossed my mind to put down, insult or call them out on their beliefs.

Originally Posted by noraina
Do you have some sort of goal or idea about how you would want society to be, and on what moral and ideological foundations an 'ideal' society should be based?
Ideally, I would like to see societies (worldwide) transcend beyond bigotry, racism, corruption, greed, class-ism, war, etc. so we can focus on taking care of all people, especially the most vulnerable. Seeing to it that all people at the very least have access to adequate shelter, nutritious food, clean water, basic education, and healthcare. It can be done but people are selfish and would much rather see the billions of $$$s being pumped into defense budgets to kill innocents, than see even a fraction of these funds being used to feed hungry kids/elders or help failing school districts.

Originally Posted by noraina
What do you think your purpose is, if at all?
I would like to become a Black History/Civil Rights Historian, wife, and mommy some day.

Originally Posted by noraina
Do you think religion is a good thing, or is the world better off without it?
I really think it depends. I don't think that religions are "good" or "bad" in and of themselves, but they can definitely be used for either. Religion can be used to inspire others to love their brethren and neighbors, help the poor, be respectful. Or it can be exploited by charismatic leaders to manipulate others into paying for their megachurches and mansions (televangelists), or killing or displacing other groups of people (terrorist groups).

It's easy for someone like myself who has lived a very comfortable life and never faced any serious hardships to dismiss the necessity of religion, but for another person halfway across the world who has lost everything (their children, home, etc.) they love to war and conflict, religion and faith might be the only thing that gets them to continue living day to day and remaining hopeful and positive despite all of their suffering. So I'm not going to say that religion needs to go.

Originally Posted by noraina
You were born in 1996? I'm three years younger than you. We're both young (relatively, lol), female, and have grown up in a Western society. Similar, but different. I'm a Muslim who passionately (in a good way ) believes in her religion. I dress as a Muslim, eat as a Muslim, practice as a Muslim, and God is the most central part of my life. What do you think of people like me with really firm religious convictions? Do you feel sorry for them, or frustrated, or nothing at all?
How do I feel about religious people? I can't say that I've ever felt sad or frustrated for religious people, since I have no reason to. I'm mostly indifferent to religion, but think religious people should be able to do their own thing so long as they aren't harming anyone.

Originally Posted by noraina
Sorry for all these questions, lol. I'm looking forward to your answers. x.
Awww don't be sorry, I'm the one that asked people to be nosey, remember lol?

Thank you for the questions noraina.
Reply

L a n a
08-25-2017, 02:45 AM
Originally Posted by Simple_Person
sister, as brother scimitair also said, "you know nothing". It is rather strange to open a topic as ask me anything, but there isn't anything you know be it about atheism or agnosticism one even could say. All is based on feelings and no intellectual debate to be found. While "asking you anything" is rather sort of indication of starting intellectual debate, but what intellectual debate if you know nothing??

I would say "retreat" yourself and go gain some serious intellectual knowledge about religions but also about atheism itself. Because you will only loose face if you try to sound intelligent and try to start a debate with somebody be it on internet or in real life.

Don't think i am insulting you or putting you down, i am only throwing reality in to your face. One could see it as a insult what i just said, while the wise person sees it as .."this guy has a point and takes the advice".
Simple_Person,

I admit that I was a bit weirded-out by your earlier posts because they came off with confrontational tone. I never intended for this to be a debate thread, but rather a "get to know me, a friendly atheist" questions and answers thread since I'm the new here and I don't really know any of the posters here. Simple and lighthearted. That's why I also said that people can ask me about other things as well, other than just questions centered around atheism/religion.

I don't even like debates and I don't seek them out, because I don't find them interesting. Especially atheist/religious debates. So I'm sorry if you came here seeking "intellectual debates" :embarrass....but I really didn't come here for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by Reminder
Given that we can build a robot, but not a Human, what is your explanation for why there is not a higher intelligence that does it?
Hello Reminder,

Could be that there is a higher intelligence that created humans, or everything else in existence. I don't believe that there is, but anything's possible.

I admit, however, that I don't really care for the "what ifs" of what may/may not have happened billions of years ago. That's all in the past now, so I'm more concerned about the here and now.

Does that make sense?

Anyways, thank you for the question.
Reply

L a n a
08-25-2017, 03:32 AM
Originally Posted by keiv
Do you think the world would be a better place without religion? If so, why? If not, why?
Another poster asked a similar question, so I'll copy and paste the answer I wrote to her here and just add on to it a bit , if you don't mind:

Originally Posted by L a n a
I don't think that religions are "good" or "bad" in and of themselves, but they can definitely be used for either. Religion can be used to inspire others to love their brethren and neighbors, help the poor, be respectful, forgive those who have wronged them, etc. Or it can be exploited by charismatic leaders to manipulate their poor and desperate followers into paying for their megachurches, private jets, mansions (televangelists), or killing or displacing other groups of people (terrorist groups).

It's easy for someone like myself who has lived a very comfortable life without religion and never faced any serious hardships to dismiss the necessity of religion, but for another person halfway across the world who has lost everything they loved (their children, home, etc.) to war and conflict, religion/faith might be the only thing that gets them to continue living day to day and remaining hopeful and positive despite all of their suffering. So I'm not going to say that religion needs to disappear, or that everything will be better 100% without it.
Originally Posted by keiv
What do you think the world would be like had religion never existed?
Ooooo this is a good question. My guess is as good as anyone else's, but I'd like to think that we would be more technologically advanced and more knowledgeable about the inner workings of the universe, probably would have even established colonies on the Moon, Mars, and moons of the gas giants by now.

Or maybe would have installed various world philosophies in religion's place. They would function in place of religions, but without the presence or need for deities.

Or maybe we would have developed nuclear weapons too quickly for our own good, started all types of international conflicts over petty squabbles (over land deeds and such), and rendered humanity extinct by now.

But who knows what would have really happened. This is another perfect question for Futurama's "What-If?" machine.
Reply

Simple_Person
08-25-2017, 06:15 AM
Originally Posted by L a n a
Simple_Person,

I admit that I was a bit weirded-out by your earlier posts because they came off with confrontational tone. I never intended for this to be a debate thread, but rather a "get to know me, a friendly atheist" questions and answers thread since I'm the new here and I don't really know any of the posters here. Simple and lighthearted. That's why I also said that people can ask me about other things as well, other than just questions centered around atheism/religion.

I don't even like debates and I don't seek them out, because I don't find them interesting. Especially atheist/religious debates. So I'm sorry if you came here seeking "intellectual debates" :embarrass....but I really didn't come here for that.
Isn't that a bit strange, death is a FACT of life, by not having such debates/discussions doesn't make it go away you know. I have met people that indeed do not want to talk about death as they get all feeling of anxiety because they don't know how to answer it that is logical, rational and reasonable with evidence.

It is not even that you have to have that debate/discussion with us or any other religious or non-religious person, but that debate/discussion you MUST have it with yourself sooner or later. If not you will either end up with suicide because of emptiness that you don't know how to answer it or have a miserable life until your death.

Anyways, it is clear you don't want to talk/discuss the whole religious debate as you haven't really any knowledge or interest in it. Do remember that you are responsible for many questions that are focused on religious debate/discussion as you are the one that added (Ask me (an atheist) anything!), because that rather indicates of wanting religious discussion/debate.

Peace
Reply

sister herb
08-25-2017, 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by Simple_Person
Somebody who doesn't know if a God exist, is NOT a atheist,
What if you leave this kind of matters for person himself. It is not you who can decide who is atheist and who isn´t. Let people describe themselves as they like - also when their atheism isn´t similar like you understand what atheism is.

I too am ex-atheist and I have no idea if my atheism was similar like yours (or Lana´s). But still it was real atheism, if I by myself felt so.
Reply

Simple_Person
08-25-2017, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by sister herb
What if you leave this kind of matters for person himself. It is not you who can decide who is atheist and who isn´t. Let people describe themselves as they like - also when their atheism isn´t similar like you understand what atheism is.

I too am ex-atheist and I have no idea if my atheism was similar like yours (or Lana´s). But still it was real atheism, if I by myself felt so.
Sister, no offense, but it is not the matter what "my" atheism or person x's definition is of atheism. It is just the universal definition of what x, y and z is, including the definition of atheism and agnosticism.

====Definition of agnostic===

An agnostic is a person who believes that the existence of a greater power, such as a god, cannot be proven or disproved; therefore an agnostic wallows in the complexity of the existence of higher beings.

Source used: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=agnostic
====================

====Definition of atheism====
Disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

Source used: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/atheism
=====================

As in both of the definitions the word "belief" is used. Belief is based on certain data. Belief simply is the conclusion of that data. In case of atheist they simply refuse to look at new data (proof - Qur'an) as everything about religion is based on assumptions. In case of agnostics if they even would look at the evidence (ie Qur'an or logical, rational and reasonable argument) their conclusion is not based on data, rather still this firm stance of "we do not know" =_=!. These people including many other religious people (some Muslims included) irritate me the most i must say. People who refuse to use their head. Nobody is saying person X knows it all, however at least let's have a discussion and adjust our stance if we come to know of new information.

The OP, is rather a agnostic as she doesn't have a firm stance of there is no God. I myself was really an atheist, as i myself really with 100% certainty back then rejected the idea of there being a Creator. This mentality is way better if you ask me than that of a agnostic, as when one takes a firm stance, it is rather based on logical argument that you can make somebody see otherwise (if there is any honesty in them). A agnostic as i said earlier never takes a firm stance as everything is a doubt even him/herself being alive =_=!.

So what she says or believes because she wants to make up her own definition, sorry but life doesn't work like that =_=!.
Reply

Reminder
08-25-2017, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by L a n a
Simple_Person,

I admit that I was a bit weirded-out by your earlier posts because they came off with confrontational tone. I never intended for this to be a debate thread, but rather a "get to know me, a friendly atheist" questions and answers thread since I'm the new here and I don't really know any of the posters here. Simple and lighthearted. That's why I also said that people can ask me about other things as well, other than just questions centered around atheism/religion.

I don't even like debates and I don't seek them out, because I don't find them interesting. Especially atheist/religious debates. So I'm sorry if you came here seeking "intellectual debates" :embarrass....but I really didn't come here for that.

- - - Updated - - -



Hello Reminder,

Could be that there is a higher intelligence that created humans, or everything else in existence. I don't believe that there is, but anything's possible.

I admit, however, that I don't really care for the "what ifs" of what may/may not have happened billions of years ago. That's all in the past now, so I'm more concerned about the here and now.

Does that make sense?

Anyways, thank you for the question.
No, it doesn't make sense. I never once said "What if". You put words in my mouth, which is normal for Atheists.

Anyways, you are welcome.
Reply

L a n a
08-25-2017, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Reminder
No, it doesn't make sense. I never once said "What if". You put words in my mouth, which is normal for Atheists.

Anyways, you are welcome.
Okay.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Reply

Reminder
08-26-2017, 02:17 AM
You put words into my mouth... no apology?
Reply

happymuslim
08-26-2017, 05:41 AM
Originally Posted by L a n a
I’m sort of new to IslamicBoard and I’ve been wanting to be more active on this site. However, I feel like I can’t really participate on many of the threads, as I’d be inserting myself into topics/discussions that don’t really concern me (i.e. Islamic marriage, Islamic advice, etc.).

So…I decided to start this thread. You fellas/ladies can ask me questions about literally anything; my particular flavor of atheism, my views on religion, politics, music, etc., they don’t have to be related to religion at all. I most likely won’t get offended by anything, so ask away.

Hopefully this will be a good way to talk to and get to know some of you :D
I've been noticing your posts and I'm glad to say your very respectful and after witnessing some very rude and disrespectful agnostics and atheist I'm really glad that you don't have that approach. [emoji5]

Anyways I'd like to ask,

1. I feel like, and correct me if I'm wrong but, I do feel like your not very into the intellectual debates and how the universe began and all, and there are many who share that aspect with you but I must ask, even if you feel like the question is irrelevant, does the question of how the universe began disappear?

2. Do you believe in the Big Bang and the expansion of the universe?

3. I recall you mentioning something about spirits or stuff idk I forget but how can you explain possessions and magic? Aliens perhaps?

4. Are you a person of logic and reasoning, and if you are, if Islam is a rational and logistic, truthful, ideology which is the truth but you hadn't looked in to it, would you accept this truth if it made sense to you?
Reply

keiv
08-26-2017, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by L a n a
Another poster asked a similar question, so I'll copy and paste the answer I wrote to her here and just add on to it a bit , if you don't mind:





Ooooo this is a good question. My guess is as good as anyone else's, but I'd like to think that we would be more technologically advanced and more knowledgeable about the inner workings of the universe, probably would have even established colonies on the Moon, Mars, and moons of the gas giants by now.

Or maybe would have installed various world philosophies in religion's place. They would function in place of religions, but without the presence or need for deities.

Or maybe we would have developed nuclear weapons too quickly for our own good, started all types of international conflicts over petty squabbles (over land deeds and such), and rendered humanity extinct by now.

But who knows what would have really happened. This is another perfect question for Futurama's "What-If?" machine.
Oh my mistake. I haven't followed the thread completely.

I understand the nature of 'what if' questions as we get our fair share of them but, these aren't the "what if God created a rock big enough..." type of questions. This was more about your opinions on the impacts of the existence of religion. It seems you feel religion has held us back intellectually and technologically in a way. What do you feel it is about religion, Islam specifically, that's holding humanity back? Because of the vast info that's out there, I'll simply direct you to doing a search on Islamic philosophy. As a Muslim, we see and accept that all creation is from Allah but we are encouraged to ponder the world around us and to continually seek knowledge of such things. I don't have hard facts here but, based on what I've seen, there seems to be a lot of easterners who occupy the fields of science, medicine and technology and I can confidently say that there are a lot of Muslims among them.

Now, in terms of pondering and stopping to look at the world around us, there doesn't appear to be a lot of that going on these days in regards to humanity as a whole because, who cares about the universe when we have the Kardashians to keep up with, right? Hang on, I just got my hair cut. Let me upload this selfie on the internet. Wait, what were we talking about again? :facepalm:
Reply

L a n a
08-26-2017, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Reminder
You put words into my mouth... no apology?
I'm really sorry if it appeared that way, as it wasn't what I meant to do. I know what it's like to have people accuse me of saying things I never said/meant, so I would never intentionally do that to anyone else. I think I mostly just went off tangent at the end of my response to you. I'll give your question another go, and try to stay on topic this time:

"Given that we can build a robot, but not a Human, what is your explanation for why there is not a higher intelligence that does it?"

There may very well be a higher power that created/built everything. So I, an agnostic atheist, can't "explain" why there is/isn't a higher intelligence capable of these feats. I just don't believe that there is.

Again, I'm sorry about earlier.
Reply

L a n a
08-26-2017, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by happymuslim
I've been noticing your posts and I'm glad to say your very respectful and after witnessing some very rude and disrespectful agnostics and atheist I'm really glad that you don't have that approach.
Awww, thanks! I'm just a friendly and respectful person in general so it just isn't in my personality to be rude to people, even if we disagree on many things/don't see eye-to-eye on issues (abortion, gun rights, etc.).

Originally Posted by happymuslim
1. I feel like, and correct me if I'm wrong but, I do feel like your not very into the intellectual debates and how the universe began and all, and there are many who share that aspect with you
I love astronomy and the mysteries of how the universe in all of its immensity came into being. Debates can be a good way to be presented with dissenting views, and they can be informative at times, especially when they are not heated and both sides are respectful. It's just debates between the non-believers v. religious experts/clerics that lose my interest.

Originally Posted by happymuslim
2. Do you believe in the Big Bang and the expansion of the universe?
I don't know if "believe in" would be the right term, but yes since it's a theory that makes much more sense to me than Creationism. However, I'm sure that it isn't perfect, and the researchers who study the universe will make their corrections as technology advances and observational methods used become for precise.

Originally Posted by happymuslim
3. I recall you mentioning something about spirits or stuff idk I forget but how can you explain possessions and magic? Aliens perhaps?
Oh yeah, I was talking about Astral Projection in one of the earlier posts. Some people believe that it's an Out-of-Body experience and their "spiritual body" leaves the physical body and travel through different dimensions, planes of existence, and all of that. I've had some of these experiences, and was able to "talk" to dead family members, views all sorts of landmarks on earth, travel through space, view beautiful otherworldly landscapes, and such. I'm not a spiritual person though, so even though these experiences seemed so vivid and fun, I'm certain that I was just dreaming.

I don't believe in possessions. Most of what people have believed to be possessions throughout history would be diagnosed as seizures/epilepsy, hallucinations, and/or mental illnesses today.

I also don't believe in magic. Illusions are very much real though and can definitely be interpreted as magical to the untrained eye.

Originally Posted by happymuslim
4. Are you a person of logic and reasoning, and if you are, if Islam is a rational and logistic, truthful, ideology which is the truth but you hadn't looked in to it, would you accept this truth if it made sense to you?
If I ever came across Islam, or any other religion that spoke to me and I found it to be my truth, then I probably would accept it. Lol I wouldn't have any other choice at that point.

Thank you for the questions happymuslim. They were thought provoking :D.
Reply

L a n a
08-27-2017, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by keiv
Oh my mistake. I haven't followed the thread completely.

I understand the nature of 'what if' questions as we get our fair share of them but, these aren't the "what if God created a rock big enough..." type of questions. This was more about your opinions on the impacts of the existence of religion. It seems you feel religion has held us back intellectually and technologically in a way. What do you feel it is about religion, Islam specifically, that's holding humanity back? Because of the vast info that's out there, I'll simply direct you to doing a search on Islamic philosophy. As a Muslim, we see and accept that all creation is from Allah but we are encouraged to ponder the world around us and to continually seek knowledge of such things. I don't have hard facts here but, based on what I've seen, there seems to be a lot of easterners who occupy the fields of science, medicine and technology and I can confidently say that there are a lot of Muslims among them.
-What do you feel it is about religion, Islam specifically, that's holding humanity back?

I don't think that it is necessarily religion that is holding humanity back, but rather some fundamentalist religious people. I'm speaking about the people who hate any type of technology, believe that higher education is wicked/sinful/worldly, believe that society needs to regress back to that of the 1st century to be holy, etc.

The religions in and of themselves are fine, and their adherents include doctors, teachers, researchers, mathematicians, etc. very bright people. I don't believe that being religious has anything to do with intelligence/lack of intelligence, but rather faith, which is a very personal thing. That's something that even some atheists need to understand.

Originally Posted by keiv
Now, in terms of pondering and stopping to look at the world around us, there doesn't appear to be a lot of that going on these days in regards to humanity as a whole because, who cares about the universe when we have the Kardashians to keep up with, right? Hang on, I just got my hair cut. Let me upload this selfie on the internet. Wait, what were we talking about again?
Haha, you speak NO lies!!
Reply

Serinity
08-27-2017, 10:45 AM
Hello..

What is your opinion on fashion clothing? The bad? The Good?

And.. What is your opinion on shame/modesty?

What is your opinion on gender roles? Is having it ok? If not, why so? Is it good or bad? What are goods, in your opinion, and the bads?

What influence does the media have over how people think?

What is your opinion on the Hijab? Would you ever try it?

I am trying to keep my questions as open ended as possible.
Reply

L a n a
08-27-2017, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Serinity
Hello..
Hi Serinity.

Originally Posted by Serinity
What is your opinion on fashion clothing? The bad? The Good?
I think fashion is a great way for people to express themselves, since there are many different styles that suit many different types of people. Personally, I'm a hoodie/pullover, skinny jeans, and sneakers kind of girl, so I'm definitely not the most fashion conscious person out there lol.

Originally Posted by Serinity
And.. What is your opinion on shame/modesty?
Modesty is cool in my book. Not everyone can be super flamboyant and "out there", personality wise.

Originally Posted by Serinity
What is your opinion on gender roles? Is having it ok? If not, why so? Is it good or bad? What are goods, in your opinion, and the bads?
If people themselves want to live by the stereotyped gender roles in their daily lives, then it's fine by me. I don't think there are is anything "good" or "bad" about gender roles, so long as they are not being forced upon people. For example, if a married couple decides that the husband will be the sole provider of the family, while it's agreed upon that the wife will look after the home and rearing the children, then that's great for them. However, as much as I appreciate and respect all the housewives/stay-at-home mommas out there (it's really hard, thankless work that's often very unappreciated in this society), I wouldn't want to be in the same position.

Originally Posted by Serinity
What influence does the media have over how people think?
Media has a LOT of influence over people, whether they realize it or not. I'll use politics as an example; Conservatives are influenced by their preferred media sources to believe that all Liberals are evil anti-American, anti-war welfare enablers, Liberals are influenced to believe that all Conservatives are backwards, uneducated, bigoted sadists, and I could go on and on. It's really annoying, and gets to the point where grown adults (45+) can't even agree to disagree with one another over their views, choosing instead to insult and character assassinate each other, when none of this is necessary.

Originally Posted by Serinity
What is your opinion on the Hijab? Would you ever try it?
Hijabs are alright with me, and I don't see why some people make such a big deal over muslim girls and women wearing them. Like, some women want to cover up for modesty. Does this negatively affect you and your life in any way? No, so leave muslim women and their hijabs alone.

Would I ever try on a hijab? Probably not, because I can't of any situation or scenario where I would ever need to wear one/try one on. Maybe I would if I ever came across a "wear a hijab" demonstration.
Reply

Reminder
08-28-2017, 02:59 AM
Originally Posted by L a n a
I'm really sorry if it appeared that way, as it wasn't what I meant to do. I know what it's like to have people accuse me of saying things I never said/meant, so I would never intentionally do that to anyone else. I think I mostly just went off tangent at the end of my response to you. I'll give your question another go, and try to stay on topic this time:

"Given that we can build a robot, but not a Human, what is your explanation for why there is not a higher intelligence that does it?"

There may very well be a higher power that created/built everything. So I, an agnostic atheist, can't "explain" why there is/isn't a higher intelligence capable of these feats. I just don't believe that there is.

Again, I'm sorry about earlier.
There you go again! I didn't say it created/built everything.

It creates/builds everything. There is a BIG difference.

"The higher the intelligence of anything, the more complex things it can build."

Monkeys can't build robots. Humans can't build Humans.

Get it?
Reply

L a n a
08-28-2017, 04:39 AM
Originally Posted by Reminder
There you go again! I didn't say it created/built everything.

It creates/builds everything. There is a BIG difference.

"The higher the intelligence of anything, the more complex things it can build."

Monkeys can't build robots. Humans can't build Humans.

Get it?
Yeah, I get what you're trying to say.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 337
    Last Post: 03-03-2012, 02:22 AM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-04-2010, 05:09 AM
  3. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-27-2009, 10:10 PM
  4. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-18-2007, 08:05 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!