/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The issue of racism in our communities

Mustafa16
08-23-2017, 02:33 AM
I have noticed the trend of nationalism even bordering on racism, even crossing into racism in my community, and it appears my experience is not unique. I was told that Turkic peoples of non-Turkish origin, especially the meshkentian turks, do not marry outside of their ethnic group.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkic_peoples
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meskhetian_Turks
now, I know what many of you are thinking.... ("Mustafa is obsessed with marriage, they old told him that to shut him up")....well, it's more than that.....years ago, I was told the same thing by my mother, who related a story of two Turkic people, one Turkic the other Turkish, marrying in secret. (NO WALI!!!!)
I have also heard mufti menk describing this trend and I have read about how this is a legacy of colonialism, that lighter skinned people are favored over darker skinned, or to only marry within one's culture (not religion).....What matters is not the color of one's skin or what utensils one uses or culture, but rather the content of someone's character and their piety. We are all brothers and sister in Islam, not blood. Nouman Ali Khan was describing this (I don't know if those reading dislike Nouman Ali Khan for whatever reason like how on ummah forum they would label scholars kaafir), he said, " it doesn't matter, Pakistani, indian, Bengali, arab, Turkish, somali, YES! Somali! *imitates* "Somali, astaghfirullah somali," Keep culture out of the other half of our deen, and please remember that this life is a transitory stage. Please remember this.
EDIT: I also know this because I have never known an ahiska turk married to a regular turk.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*charisma*
08-23-2017, 03:50 AM
Assalamu ALaikum

Yea unfortunately I believe many communities have this issue. Sometimes it's based on beauty standards, tribalism, politics, nationalism, etc. but overall it just comes from a place of prejudice and ignorance.

Alhemdulilah for Islam for breaking such barriers. At the end of the day we're all just souls and we return to Allah without our bodies.

M.I.A.
08-23-2017, 02:14 PM
I dont consider it racism..

The simple question is, why do you want to get married?

And the follow up question is, why do your parents want you to get married?

And thats all there is to it.

..those that marry outside of family or tribe or race,or social standing..will do so anyway.

There is no pretence..

But to say that not being open to the idea is racism.. is being naive.

For example, let us know when you get around to picking a second wife.
I might work myself into a corner here.. but..

Iv learned to live without many things i thought i wanted.. not by choice i might add.

..although i suppose when one really reflects, choice is all it is.

Also i am extremely shallow. :p

The racism card is easy to play.. if we could better articulate ourselves maybe we would be.. less misunderstood.

We should all make effort to find better motivation and character..

To be broken and remade into something better.

But chasing desire is probably not the way.

The most underhand compliment is that most women are beautiful on the face of it..

But if they are good for you (and those around you) i dont know.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.