/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Meaning of Silat ur Rahem (kinship)

aamifi
09-07-2017, 10:43 AM

salam alaykom

Meaning of Silat ur Rahem (kinship)

Question

What is the meaning of Silat ur Rahem? With whom we should keep and regard the relations of Rahim? Please give me the details.

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the World; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

Scholars of Islam differ concerning the definition of al-Rahem (blood relationship, kith and kin, tie of kinship) that it is a duty to keep and it is Haram to sever. Some scholars say al-Rahem includes all male and female Maharam. (Muslim men and women who must not marry one another because of special ties between them).
Thus, Islam prohibits for one to marry a woman and her mother's sister or father's sister, since such marriages lead to severing ties of kinship due to hate between two fellow wives. Other groups of scholars say al-Rahem includes all participants in inheritance.
According to Imam al-Qurtubi in his Tafsir, al-Rahem is of two kinds:
1) All Muslims in general. A Muslim has to show his love and support to them on the basis of Iman. He has to advise them, to be just with them, to do his duties towards them such as visiting the sick, taking part in their funerals and so on.
2) Relatives on the paternal and maternal sides. This kind of al-Rahem is called "Special Rahem". These relatives have all special rights over a Muslim as well as other rights such as maintenance, taking care of them. Also, they have the rights of Muslims in general. But, one has to start in doing his rights on behalf of the closest relatives.
Based on the above, every Muslim, your brother in religion, has rights over his Muslim brothers. Some of these rights are obligatory; others are recommended. Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {The believers are nothing else than brothers (in Islâmic religion). …} [49: 10].
If there is some form of kinship between you and such a Muslim brother, his rights become more confirmed on you. The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said: "You would soon conquer Egypt and that is a land which is known (as the land of al-qirat). So when you conquer it, treat its inhabitants well. For there lies upon you the responsibility because of blood-tie or relationship of marriage (with them)" . [Reported by Imam Muslim ].
The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) possessed and married " Mary the Coptic Lady" who gave birth to his son Ibrahim . So, the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) advised Muslims to be kind with Egyptians, since this marriage constitutes a tie of kinship.
On the other hand, foster relatives of paternal and maternal sides have also similar rights although such rights are not identical with those of the "Special Rahem".
It is recorded in the book of Sirah (biography) of Ibn Hisham and in Zad al-Ma'ad of Ibn al-Qayyim that when the Hawazen's delegation came to the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam), he spread out his dress to al-Shaimaa (his foster sister) as a form of honor. In addition, the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) asked Muslims to return to his foster uncle what they captured from his household and children.
As for the best manner to treat al-Rahem and to keep their ties, this in fact is conventional. A visit to some relatives is enough while others deserve more than that depending on how close or needy they are.
The Holy Qur'an clearly states the importance of keeping ties with al-Rahem, it considers this as a form of worship, and warns those who neglect it.
Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {Would you then, if you were given the authority, do mischief in the land, and sever your ties of kinship?} [47: 22]. He also Says: {…; and fear Allah through Whom you demand (your mutual rights), and (do not cut the relations of ) the wombs (kinship). …} [4: 1].
In the same vein, Jabir Ibn Mut'am reported that he heard Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) saying: "One who severs ties of al-Rahem will not enter Paradise" . [Reported by Imam al-Bukhari ]. Another Hadith reported by 'Ayisha (Radiya Allahu Anha) reads: "al-Rahem is a Shujnah (connected roots of a tree), whoever keeps its ties I will keep ties with him; whoever severs its ties I will sever ties with him" . [Reported by Imam al-Bukhari ].
Also, it is recorded in al-Bukhari from Abu Hurairah that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said: "Allah created the creations, and when He finished from His creations, Ar-Rahm i.e., womb said, "(O Allah) at this place I seek refuge with You from all those who sever me (i.e. sever the ties of kith and kin). Allah said, 'Yes, won't you be pleased that I will keep good relations with the one who will keep good relations with you, and I will sever the relation with the one who will sever the relations with you.' It said, 'Yes, O my Lord.' Allah said, 'Then that is for you" . Another Hadith from 'Abdullah Ibn 'Amr reads: "The person who perfectly maintains the ties of kinship is not the one who does it because he gets recompensed by his relatives (for being good and kind to them) but the one who truly maintains the bonds of kinship is the one who persists in doing so even though others have severed the ties of kinship with him" . [Reported by Imam al-Bukhari ].
In Sahih Muslim it is stated that Maimuna Bint al-Harith freed a young slave-girl in the era of Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) and told that to Allah's Messenger. Thereupon, he said: "If you gave her to your uncles, that would be better in reward" . [Reported by Imam Muslim ]. This means that giving charity to relatives and kith and kin is better.
Ibn 'Umar reported that "A man came the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) and said: 'O Allah's Messenger! I did a major sin. So, can I repent?' The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said: 'Is your mother alive!' The man said: 'No'. The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said: 'Have you a aunt?' He said: 'Yes'. The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said: 'Treat her with kindness'" . [Reported by Imam al-Tirmizi ].
More details on the subject of al-Rahem, check Riyad al-Saliheen, al-Bukhari, Muslim and other book of Hadith.
Allah knows best.

islamweb fatwa.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.