/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Most Muslims Get This Wrong. What Islam REALLY Says about Depression & Suicide

YahyaAE
09-25-2017, 05:47 PM
I've come across a lot of Islamic videos on YouTube that speak of depression as if its simply the case of 'having the blues', and that good Muslims shouldn't have these feelings. I know psychology, and I know that a multitude of factors can cause depression, not just being a weak Muslim. Good Muslims suffer from it too, so its not always the case of 'weak iman', which I have heard many times, even from some very popular sheikhs. Thats just wrong. Life circumstances on a subconscious level that they are not even aware of, to biological chemical imbalances in the brain and body can sometimes push people to that dark place, and thus making depression and suicidal thoughts beyond their control. Anyway, so I uploaded this video, and hope it helps.

Mods... Not sure where to put this. Either in the Islamic Multimedia section, Health and Science or Advice and Support section... https://youtu.be/1DUgjmmKqq8

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
M.I.A.
09-25-2017, 06:18 PM
At the heart of it being a weak muslim IS... THE.. key factor..

I know this from experience.

And its extremely harsh to say that people suffer depression because they are weak..

But if we are ignorant of our own faults its something that we will never be able to accept.

The blues..

Made and used.
I know im stoking the fire..

But this vid has a lot of concise truth.

https://youtu.be/XUgD91WrSFg

I know i feel so much better.. when i have been better.

And some days i am at breaking point.. because i know how i interacted with the world the day before.

But its a feeling, let it pass or make it worse.. on a bad day.
Its an age of accountability..

Nobody wants to be held accountable.

Although internet anonymity had made me deeply opinionated..

I won't criticise your video.

I often feel down that i passed up the chance to actually become a pharmacist..

The money is good and the hours are reasonable.

And its a world apart from this room that takes so much and gives so little..

If i ever find my legs again i will be so much quicker than before.

Lol keep em busy n they forget.. good days where no sense is made of the world.

Lol in the end i did the brain chemistry exam 3 times..

By the third time it wasnt even lecture notes i was presenting.

If it aint the answer it aint the answer.

Psychoneuropharmacology. Actually enjoyed it..

Its important to know that our ignorance is the only thing protecting us from our ignorance.

..allah swt is the protector, The sustainer.

Superstition and poorly explained half truths are not the way to go.

I suppose that is what i would call a circular post.

Abz2000
09-26-2017, 02:55 AM
The year during or before the night journey and ascent was unanimously named " 'aam-il-huzn" the year of grief.
It was so named due to the seemingly depressing situation of the Prophet saws and Muslims at large.
Ya'qoob as was also so grief stricken by the loss of Yusuf that his eyes degenerated (temporarily in absence of the miracle).

Yet we are still told to try and rise above it as too much grief can break a person and make them give up on life and see it as a burden whose every minute is intolerable to the extent that some people to stop taking care of their own bodies let alone their appearance, health, and other less pressing issues.

Even animals sometimes suffer from depression and can often be cheered up...though i believe the current human situation isn't just about cheering up and pretending that nothing is wrong since there's so much that needs to be fixed.

I think injustice and greed are the biggest contributors to depression.

YahyaAE
09-26-2017, 06:45 AM
M.I.A, thanks for your reply. I know for a fact that its not a 'one hat fits all' situation. But yes I agree, often times it could be the result of weak imam, a distance from Allah, and a lack of faith, but also it can be a multitude of other things. The problem is giving a single diagnose for billions of people because the symptoms are the same, despite the causes being different.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Good brother
09-26-2017, 11:04 AM
Assalam alaikum

Believing in Allah the Creator provides a sense of purpose and contentedness, while religion gives answers to many of life’s existential questions. Overcoming psychological hardships can be aided by having strong faith in Allah while also receiving sound medical attention, as we are taught to do by the Prophet Muhammed (PBUH).

This doesn’t imply that religious people don’t get depressed or that depressed people have weak faith. Depression is a biochemical disorder that can affect anyone regardless of their beliefs.
Faith can, however, provide coping strategies for dealing with psychological illnesses such as depression.
According to a study published in the Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, “Religious involvement (e.g., service attendance, religious guidance, religious coping) has a protective effect against the incidence and persistence of depressive symptoms and depressive disorders.”
Psychologist Enright says religious involvement can be helpful when treating depression by explaining the meaning of suffering, giving people a sense of purpose and providing hope that depression can end.
In the Qur’an, Allah says, “Those who believe and whose hearts find satisfaction in the remembrance of Allah: for without doubt in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find satisfaction” (Surat Ar-Ra’d 13:28).
Abdi Sheikh, one of the Imams of Masjid Sunnah in the city of Madison, Wisconsin, says “We believe that everything that happens to us, good or bad, happens for a reason and Allah is testing us. We read the Qur’an and say ‘Who, when disaster strikes them, say, Indeed we belong to Allah, and indeed to Him, we will return’” (Surat Al-Baqarah 2:156)
Live with Forgiveness

Forgiveness is another strategy for dealing with depression. According to professor Enright, who has been a leader in the scientific study of forgiveness and its effects since 1985, “Forgiveness therapy is a scientifically supported way that reduces the anger that can eventually fuel or intensify both anxiety and depression.”

He adds, “We have scientific studies showing that, if people forgive and get rid of the anger caused by the pain of being treated unjustly, depression goes down.”
According to the Holy Qur’an, “Who spend [in the cause of Allah] during ease and hardship and who restrain anger and who pardon the people – and Allah loves the doers of good” (Surat Ali ‘Imran 3:134).
Abu Hurayrah narrates that the Prophet Muhammed peace and blessings be upon him said: “There is no disease that Allah has created, except that He also has created its remedy.” Bukhari 7.582.

http://aboutislam.net/science/health...er-depression/

M.I.A.
09-26-2017, 12:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by YahyaAE
M.I.A, thanks for your reply. I know for a fact that its not a 'one hat fits all' situation. But yes I agree, often times it could be the result of weak imam, a distance from Allah, and a lack of faith, but also it can be a multitude of other things. The problem is giving a single diagnose for billions of people because the symptoms are the same, despite the causes being different.
I underwent surgery in February.. i knew i felt different.. so i waited for things to change and as the tubes were taken out a month or so later i thought.. nope still feels not quite right.

And then just this week i had the chance to see the surgeon in person..

So i told him about the problem.

I asked if it was a common after effect.

I asked if he knew what it was.

And he answered those questions..

And then i asked him what may have caused it.

...he said, it may be stress related.

To which i nodded my head and nearly walked out the door.

He said your much too young to be put on medication.. because you would have to take it for life.

At which point i really wanted to kick myself for not becoming a pharmacist.

Maybe it is all in the head..

Maybe you could live a lot longer if you had different neighbour's..

And mental well being is key to wellbeing.

Although its not the matrix. :|

The millions of different causes for depression, dont really address the issue..

I hate to bring up my extremely vast intellect again :|

But i did my dissertation on personality studied.. i actually passed it!

The next time you apply on the internet for a minimum wage job at a big company, you may actually get to see it in action.

The similarities between people should not be taken for granted..

There are billions of people.. but only 12 months in a year o_0

Im not into horoscopes though.

..maybe i should rephrase it.. if the reasons for depression are so many and varied..

Why are the cures for it so few?

Lol, its probably where i fail again.. the teacher of the room is just too tough.

Honestly let me out n give me a year.. i already know id be quicker than before..

But i was sent here and i will be taken away from here.. by somebody elses choice.

And its the surgeon thats quicker.

I have too much time these days so i watch movies..

The box, is a good one.

Im sorry if it makes little sense..

If you promote psychology.. psychiatry and its method of reinforcement.. to develop different habits and coping mechanisms..

Then these things are not beyond the scope of many people..

But i guess they have to really care to make a difference.. and the people who need help really need to be willing to change..

And this is very hard, to be honest to ones self.. although honesty is not ones own sword that he should fall on..

Some people are beyond help.

Simple_Person
09-26-2017, 01:12 PM
You are rather contradicting yourself. Why am i saying this?

We KNOW that imaan fluctuates, so depression is indeed the outcome of lack of imaan for even good Muslims. We know also that Islam stands for a balanced lifestyle, but also having a positive outlook in life. There is something like "winter-depression" and indeed lack of sunlight also has something to do with it. I have experimented with this the last year and i have found that indeed the years before lack of sunlight did hit me hard as i had a small window for light and sunlight got limited amount of time to shine through it. So when i went to the new apartment i took precautions. What i did was painting all my walls white and the laminate that i bought was a very light one. So the amount of sunlight or even light when it is cloudy that comes in to my house i can take it as if i have a huge house that is all emanated with light. I keep my doors open so when i even walk through my apartment it is all natural light coming through.. What i noticed was that i went through the whole winter without having any depressive feelings.

Just recently i also read about "ions" in a article. It said plants and streaming water creates such "negative ions". This article also talks about it, but did not mention plants.

http://negativeionizers.net/negative-ions-benefits/

These days we live in houses somewhere in a city we do not have a view that when we look outside we can see far distances, rather feels like claustrophobic.

This being said, lack of certain nutritious values one could even include in it, however EVEN THIS Rasullah(saws) has covered it. Eat little, eat dates (full of nutritious value). Just think even about those Ramadan days when you brake your fast. The amount that you have eaten gives you different outcomes. When you are full, you get all sleepy, but if you eat just something you have a lot of energy. Also when fasting it is strange the body is all pumped up as if i have been going to the gym.

Besides that even is the amount of positive energy. Just recently i read a hadith that said after doing your fard-prayer at the mosque, do your sunnah-prayer at home. That i knew all along, but what why doing at home was new to me.

============
Jabir (May Allah be pleased with him)reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "When you have finished your (Fard) Salat (prayer) in the mosque, you should observe some of your (Sunnah and Nawafil) Salat at home; Allah will bless your homes because of your Salat (in your homes).'' [Muslim]

Source used: http://www.sunnahfollowers.net/Riyad...08/chap204.htm
============

Have you ever noticed that when you are at the masjid there is no negative vibe there? This reminded me of this aya

"And keep yourself patient [by being] with those who call upon their Lord in the morning and the evening, seeking His countenance. And let not your eyes pass beyond them, desiring adornments of the worldly life, and do not obey one whose heart We have made heedless of Our remembrance and who follows his desire and whose affair is ever [in] neglect" Qur'an 18:28

Logically speaking one would ask, WHY by being with those who worship Allah in the morning and evening? As people who worship Allah (practicing Muslims) have no negative and cynical energy. Also by being with those is performing prayer in congregation (more reward) and thus also being in the mosque more often (no negative energy there).

This i BELIEVE is part of the blessing of it. As even the earth it self has certain frequency that it vibrates. This shaking MAYBE could be even that relieves you of the stress, as the prayer has certain way to preform, certain body part on the ground and certain stance make the vibration of the earth vibrate through your body and off course sujood being the ultimate reliever of it with that the things you say (also vibrations to the heart). This i also have experimented with it that the longer i stayed in sujood, it was as if my body was being drained of all the stress. After the prayer it felt as if i had slept for couple of hours all calm and full of energy. Besides this i also have read a 1-2 months ago that doing wudu gives you energy. This i also observed it and i indeed can confirm. It is very strange..if you are tired and sleepy OR EVEN HUNGRY, just go do wudu. Read this by the way through a hadith that talked about when having intimate relationship with ones spouse and wish to repeat it, was advised to do wudu first to gain energy.

So living the sunnah way based on my own observations i can indeed confirm all those things, sub'han'Allah and Allah knows indeed best.

btw, another little observation of mine..have you ever noticed when saying "la ilaha illa Allah", your lips don't move. So if people see your from a distance and you doing such dhikr, they don't notice you saying something (lip-reading). Sub'han'Allah..all i can say.

noraina
09-26-2017, 01:47 PM
Depression, or sadness, is a completely natural human feeling and isn't anything to be ashamed about. The Prophets (as) went through such trials and many times throughout their lives they felt grief and sadness. And we can be reassured that even the Prophets (as) themselves faced many hardships but they overcame them all in the end with the help of Allah swt.

Life isn't Jannah, it's going to have ups and downs and sometimes we're going to feel burdened by it all. That isn't a sign of weak iman or lack of faith. Islam has given us the most wonderful ways to address the human condition, including any mental difficulties such as depression. First and foremost, it is seeking refuge with Allah swt, and then finding help via counselling or advice. As a community we need to remove the stigma about depression so people don't hesitate to look for help when they need it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.