/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Campus Life of Muslim Students

saleemsulfikhar
09-29-2017, 10:03 PM
Assalamu Alaikum brothers and sisters,

iam a graduation student studying in a central university in India. Being in a westernised liberal campus muslim students like me go through much pain in holding onto the muslim identity and islamic morals. Our dilemmas are basically twofold , ie those posed by the very academia or the epistemology upon which academics is build and the rampant islomphobia that governs the campus/country in general.

As we all know the omnipresence of values of modernity has polluted even our understanding of deen. Acknowledging it, let alone engaging, is itself a difficult task before us.Having to study syllabi base of which is anti-islam essentially is a depressing thing at times.

As some ways of overcoming these predicaments we meet up frequently, share our experiences, discuss hadith and sunnah, read and educate ourselves on topics like modernity, liberalism, identity etc. And we engage with islamophobia by asserting our identity more stronger.

I would be happy to know the challenges campuses raises to muslim students from othet countries and how do they deal with it. Please share your experiences and thoughts.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
saleemsulfikhar
09-29-2017, 10:22 PM

Iam a graduation student from a central university in India. Being in a westernised liberal campus we muslim students go through much pain in holding onto the muslim identity and Islamic morals. The dilemmas we face are twofold ,ie those from the very academia which is based upon western philosophy, core ideas of which are very antithetical to Islam and those from the Islamophobic social atmosphere that governs both campus and country in general.

As we know the values of modernity are omnipresent and have intruded even in our understanding of deen. Acknowledging it, let alone engaging, is itself a difficult task before us. We suffer from a inferiority complex that arises from our inability in dealing it.

As some ways of overcoming these predicaments we meet up frequently, share our experiences, discuss Quran and Sunnah, read and educate ourselves on topics like modernity and liberalism and assert our identity stronger.

I would be happy to know what challenges do campuses pose to muslim students from other countries and how do they deal with it. Please share your experiences and thoughts.

talibilm
09-30-2017, 08:48 AM
@saleemsulfikhar

Walikum Salam

May Allah easy your affair.

Muslims living in kufar countries are undergoing these tests in the search of halal rizk through their academic studies. This tug of war between the good and bad are a part of striving you are undergoing in the fitna full world and that's a test of Allah as our Sahabas went through at highest degree as seen in the below verses

http://legacy.quran.com/3/121-170

You will find some hadiths that will help you here too like the one in post # 65

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...r-Wisdom/page3

Hope some students answer your thread sooner or later.

saleemsulfikhar
09-30-2017, 08:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by talibilm
Walikum Salam

May Allah easy your affair.

Muslims living in kufar countries are undergoing these tests in the search of halal rizk through their academic studies. This tug of war between the good and bad are a part of striving you are undergoing in the fitna full world and that's a test of Allah as our Sahabas went through at highest degree as seen in the below verses

http://legacy.quran.com/3/121-170

You will find some hadiths that will help you here too

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...r-Wisdom/page3

Hope some students answer your thread sooner or later.
Jazakallah Khair brother [emoji173]

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
talibilm
09-30-2017, 09:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by saleemsulfikhar
Jazakallah Khair brother [emoji173]
Waiiyakum Bro,

During my studies in India my class room had only 2 -3 boys as Muslims and other 30 or odd students were pukka kafirs . But we did manage to go to masjid alhamdulilah. But I know as per the hadiths of Nabi :saws: and his Prophesy the Fitna will increase and those who are coming after you will find mote fitan .

saleemsulfikhar
09-30-2017, 09:07 AM
Waiiyakum Bro,

During my studies in India my class room had only 2 -3 boys as Muslims and other 30 or odd students were pukka kafirs . But we did manage to go to masjid alhamdulilah. But I know as per the hadiths of Nabi :saws: and his Prophesy the Fitna will increase and those who are coming after you will find mote fitan .
where do you hail from?

saleemsulfikhar
09-30-2017, 09:34 AM

Iam a graduation student from a central university in India. Being in a westernised liberal campus we muslim students go through much pain in holding onto the muslim identity and Islamic morals. The dilemmas we face are twofold ,ie those from the very academia which is based upon western philosophy core ideas of which are very antithetical to Islam and those from the Islamophobic social atmosphere that governs both campus and country in general.

As we know the values of modernity are omnipresent and have intruded even in our understanding of deen. Acknowledging it, let alone engaging, is itself a difficult task before us. We suffer from a inferiority complex that arises from our inability in dealing it.

As some ways of overcoming these predicaments we meet up frequently, share our experiences, discuss Quran and Sunnah, read and educate ourselves on topics like modernity and liberalism and assert our identity stronger.

I would be happy to know what challenges does campuses poses to muslim students from other countries and how do they deal with it. Please share your experiences and thoughts.

talibilm
09-30-2017, 09:49 AM
where do you hail from?
Bro I am 50 plus can you put them in clear words ( it appears to me like a Slang am not used to it as youngsters do) lol

saleemsulfikhar
09-30-2017, 09:52 AM
Bro I am 50 plus can you put them in clear words ( it appears to me like a Slang am not used to it) lol
really sorry. I didn't mean that way :) . It seems my post got deleted and i have posted it again. waitimg for approval..

talibilm
09-30-2017, 10:00 AM
Its ok we are all here to learn from each other and offer any ilm what we have since its a Duty imposed on by our beloved Prophet :saws: on us

The Prophet said: “Convey from me, even if it is one verse.” [Saheeh al-Bukhaaree]

But hope this thread not derailed by me :omg:

M.I.A.
09-30-2017, 01:30 PM

iam a graduation student studying in a central university in India. Being in a westernised liberal campus muslim students like me go through much pain in holding onto the muslim identity and islamic morals. Our dilemmas are basically twofold , ie those posed by the very academia or the epistemology upon which academics is build and the rampant islomphobia that governs the campus/country in general.

As we all know the omnipresence of values of modernity has polluted even our understanding of deen. Acknowledging it, let alone engaging, is itself a difficult task before us.Having to study syllabi base of which is anti-islam essentially is a depressing thing at times.

As some ways of overcoming these predicaments we meet up frequently, share our experiences, discuss hadith and sunnah, read and educate ourselves on topics like modernity, liberalism, identity etc. And we engage with islamophobia by asserting our identity more stronger.

I would be happy to know the challenges campuses raises to muslim students from othet countries and how do they deal with it. Please share your experiences and thoughts.

If thats the state of your country you are not in a position to change it through direct opposition.. im sure you know that.

The fact that you have a right to education, gathering and the ability to express the religion you represent is a testament to the modern age.

Where islamaphobia is often just implied or inferred..

And with applied intellect.. can be overcome, although that will be through your success.. rather than through your visibility to opposition.

Most of those people i know that give back to the community most effectively.. through charity and religious work.. have stability within the professions they have chosen.

I know all people are capable of..and do.. give towards improving the islamic condition.

But i feel that is what you should be aiming for.. in a rapidly progressing society.

I personally slept through most of my university education.. i did not personally give anything much consideration until a very late age.

But we had university facilities that the islamic student body were able to use and it was quite successful.. which is rather telling really.

Whatever you strive towards.. you will get. Of that i have no doubt whatsoever.. youth has abundance
of energy..

And you already know the benefit of sticking together.. you just have to learn to help each other up.

My friends must have carried me for a long time lol.

I am greatful.

Learn not to transgress bounds and understand that as long as you are not making mistakes to allow the opposition the higher ground..

You will keep moving forward.

saleemsulfikhar
09-30-2017, 01:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
If thats the state of your country you are not in a position to change it through direct opposition.. im sure you know that.

The fact that you have a right to education, gathering and the ability to express the religion you represent is a testament to the modern age.

Where islamaphobia is often just implied or inferred..

And with applied intellect.. can be overcome, although that will be through your success.. rather than through your visibility to opposition.

Most of those people i know that give back to the community most effectively.. through charity and religious work.. have stability within the professions they have chosen.

I know all people are capable of..and do.. give towards improving the islamic condition.

But i feel that is what you should be aiming for.. in a rapidly progressing society.

I personally slept through most of my university education.. i did not personally give anything much consideration until a very late age.
thanks for your comment :). "I personally slept through most of my university education.. i did not personally give anything much consideration until a very late age" _ me too is very lazy and a lot of time is wasted by sleeping and using FB & Whatsapp.

M.I.A.
09-30-2017, 02:18 PM
Yeah i meant it both literally and metaphorically lol.

..but its not the right way to be, like many things you cant get away with it forever..

And things are much harder if you are lower down.

Make use of your time.. make use of the opportunities that you take for granted in a world of perceived opposition.
..see how old i am? :p

Now the people tell me that my recompense is written..

My advice has always been the same.

Although i would not change the way things are for the world..

I know it would have cost to much.

It is the imaginary paradox.

..i had to put that in there so you dont feel any sense of association.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.