/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on "Practicing Islam In Short Shorts"

mysmallstory
10-01-2017, 04:14 AM
Hi sisters (and brothers). When I first read the story "practicing Islam in short shorts," I never felt so...connected. That woman describes me. I am not a bad muslim, but I sometimes tend to wear, say, skinny jeans, and I don't cover my hair, and I talk to guys. But I love Islam. Thoughts?:ermm:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Search
10-01-2017, 05:30 AM
:bism: Bismillah Ir-Rehman Ir-Raheem (In the Name of God, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful)

:sl: (Peace be upon you)

First off, sister, a warm and humble welcome to the forum. :statisfie

Thank you for soliciting our advice and entrusting us with your post.

Let me say that I'm very glad that you love Islam. :coolious:

As you may recognize, this life, our life is a journey. And Islam, like life, is a journey; we're very fortunate indeed and blessed to be Muslims. Being Muslim is though a commitment if you will, a sort of pledge that you make between yourself and Allah that you're going to try your best to inculcate the values of Islam into your life. I'm not a perfect Muslim, and I know I never will be. But I'm willing to try, and that part about trying in itself is something that I know Allah counts in Islam as success for human beings because intentions are the arbiter of how Allah will judge any person on Judgment Day. I strongly recommend that you try too in intentions to the best of your abilities even if you're not succeeding or not ready yet to follow through in terms of actions.

Sister, our life goal should not be to try to meet some human or arbitrary standards of what we should or should not do but to keep trying to attain closeness to and pleasure of Allah SubhanAllahwaTaala (Glorious and Exalted is God). Fashions change, seasons change, and things and people come and go from our lives. However, Allah is and always was with us and known to us and on whom we relied not only as souls in Heavens but also when we were placed in our mother's wombs and through the transition we made from childhood to adulthood. Life is tricky in that it doesn't always let us realize its transient nature, but we must be wiser and become wise to its nature. Allah is Eternal and doesn't die, but we as human beings do and will. And we should want to present ourselves in the best possible light to Allah on Judgment Day so that Allah can be proud of us and Prophet Muhammad :saws: can be proud of his ummah (nation) for whom he :saws: wept and made untold sacrifices so that the light of Islam could shine like a bright moon in the night skies. This life is a gift, a beautiful gift, and we should not let it go to waste chasing after ephemeral pleasures, conveniences, and mirages.

Labels are generally unhelpful, unhelpful to you and me and anyone reading this thread. Therefore, I do not want to focus on what is a bad or good Muslim as we're all hopefully just Muslims that are trying to do better on this journey to Allah. So, therefore, I request that you don't judge yourself or have any type of negative or positive tapes playing in your mind about who you are as a Muslim, because we're all failing at some things and doing other things (hopefully) better or right. That said, we should always be striving, because only in trying to better ourselves as human beings, as Muslims, as souls who acknowledged Allah as our Lord in Heavens when we were not even born, will we find a ladder to hereafter success and inner peace that is beyond our greatest imagination. I do not wish to tell you about what to wear or what not to wear or mixed gender interactions, because you seem like a smart young woman that already has some idea that you're not currently observing the Islam you love to the best of your abilities. However, you're in good company always, because we're all flawed Muslims here, not angelic beings. Therefore, simply, dear sister, try your best to do the things you can do better in your life as a Muslim; and if there are some things for which you are not ready whether it is the dress code or something else, then try your best to at least have intentions to one day do better. And keep challenging yourself to do better and the best way to do that is to seek inspiration in the form of excellent company. I am a strong believer that the combination of trying, keeping higher intentions, and challenging ourselves through seeking or keeping excellent company will enable us to change when we're ready to make the changes that we know in our heart of hearts is probably the correct thing to do even if we're not 100% ready to walk that walk just yet. My advice is just to strive and be patient on this journey, because patience lightens the heart and striving gladdens the soul.

format_quote Originally Posted by mysmallstory
Hi sisters (and brothers). When I first read the story "practicing Islam in short shorts," I never felt so...connected. That woman describes me. I am not a bad muslim, but I sometimes tend to wear, say, skinny jeans, and I don't cover my hair, and I talk to guys. But I love Islam. Thoughts?:ermm:
:wa: And peace be upon you

Serinity
10-01-2017, 08:01 AM
Wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

We are all on a Journey (trying to find and keep to the straight path through the help of Allah) Some are slow, some are faster - but the end destination is the same - or goal is to please Allah.

Allah does not look whether you are fast or slow - He :swt: wants progress - and that love for Islam - don't let anyone ruin it. Whether fast or slow, we are all on the Path. Progress is success.

The goal is not to reach the end destination but keep to the straight path - to not go astray. So what matters is not that you reach the destination - but that you make progress and strive your best. One at a time, no Muslim is perfect.

To think of one as perfect would imply no needed improvement.

We all start somewhere. Improvement and progress is a life long thing.

Please correct me if I said anything wrong.

And Allah :swt: knows best.

Simple_Person
10-01-2017, 09:09 AM
Sub'han'Allah, the more i read such topics and i listen to people in general, the more i understand this hadith.

====Hadith=====

“Islam began as something strange and will go back to being strange, so glad tidings to the strangers.” It was said: “Who are the strangers?’ He said: “Strangers who have left their families and tribes.”

Source used: https://sunnah.com/ibnmajah/36/63
=============

For many of us, what other people think of us and what they deem "beautiful" has stuck in our minds. Because of this it is preventing us to question how come x, y and z are deemed normal or why should i just do this or that because society asks of me? The scariest thing for people is to be left out of groups and not be included that's why we often tend to follow the herd like sheeps. While if one really objectively analyzes what is the most scary thing is being surrounded by people, but yet being lonely. The current situation of society really shows this perfectly in this time of social media. Just look how many people make pictures of them selves when having diner at a restaurant trying to sketch a picture of being "happy and content" but when you really are there and observe people and their behavior...just sad very sad. I am not looking down on them, because they just do not know and they are at fault themselves for not knowing.

This all reminds me of the story of the Byzantium emperor Heraclius. He KNEW Islam was the truth but for the sake of the pleasure of people stayed on falsehood or in this case of people who follow what society says you should do while for sure know what society says is at least false and truth must be somewhere else, but yet do not take the step to step away from what society says and search what the truth might be. Many will die in this state, while only a few will be brave enough to do take the step away from society.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
M.I.A.
10-01-2017, 02:34 PM
Hi,

Short stories can be motivating. Powerful messages for those that just want a little bit here and there.

Although, It it wont be enough until you cant justify things.

I have developed a selfish habit of telling people my short stories.

..although my signature should be,

...and thats how not to do it!!

So we look forward to learning from each other.. although those that write best are those that only write for the pleasure of allah swt.

We all live through life, it affects us all.

Allah swt allow us to change before a day all encompassing.

...they tell me they have done it all today.

talibilm
10-04-2017, 04:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mysmallstory
Sister, Excuse me for replying it BLUNTLY with a parable JUSt for our understanding

If your friend says that she loves her parents TOO MUCH but never visits them nor serve them nor follow their words and requests . Will you think that she really loves her parents ??

and some more info here in post # 2 in near similar issues

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...r-purity-rings

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.