PDA

View Full Version : Help? YouTube thumbnails! What do I do?



TyRazosaurus123
10-15-2017, 02:36 AM
Hi! I am a 14 year old boy, and I have an urgent question about my YouTube channel. I do Pokemon giveaways on my channel, and giveaway cool Pokemon. This is just for now, and will change to other games once I get more subscribers. I started my YouTube channel a couple months ago, and am seeking advice. I recently learned that drawing pictures of people/creatures are haram. In all my thumbnails (video icons) there was a picture of the Pokemon I was giving away. They were not drawn by me, but rather are official artwork from the Pokemon company. I also have a profile picture, and channel banner, with a drawing on it (not drawn by me). So my question is: is it alright if I make the thumbnails in game images? They are pixels. I also had the idea to make the Pokemon in the thumbnails, completely white. So you couldn't see the Pokemon and it'd features, but you can tell what Pokemon it is. I don't know what to do. Any other options would be highly appreciated. I REALLY wanna be a YouTuber. It's a dream for me, and InshAllah it will happen. I don't just wanna be one for myself. In the future, if all goes well and I become popular (thanks to Allah S.W.T of course), I have many plans to do many charity livestreams. These are livestreams in which all the money made in one livestream (which can be a lot for you tubers) will all go to charities. I will also help my family with this. Please give me advice for what to do, because I don't wanna keep doing those thumbnails, if they are haram. May peace and blessing be upon you all. Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Attachment 6279
This is how they looked like
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
TyRazosaurus123
10-16-2017, 03:45 AM
Please help and give advice! I need it as soon as possible.
Reply

*charisma*
10-16-2017, 08:35 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

Originally Posted by TyRazosaurus123
Please help and give advice! I need it as soon as possible.
As far as I know, as long as the pictures are not tangible (ie. printed photographs) or include anything haram, then they are permissible because they are digital.
Reply

TyRazosaurus123
10-18-2017, 02:07 AM
Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum



As far as I know, as long as the pictures are not tangible (ie. printed photographs) or include anything haram, then they are permissible because they are digital.
Thank you for the response. So would the thumbnail example I added in my post be haram? Would It classify as haram? A very small amount of things in Pokemon are interpreted as haram by others, but none of which I show on my thumbnails. I do these giveaways, to grow a channel. Would it be haram in the end?


and anyone else willing to give their thoughts would be kindly appreciated!
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
mslm
10-19-2017, 10:54 PM
I'm very glad that you've got this mindset -- the average teenager, Muslim or otherwise, would take this opportunity to make as many bucks as possible, but you've got Islam on your mind, so congratulations my little brother, that's incredibly significant!

If you were an adult, I'd say "get away from Pokemon", regardless of the ruling on drawing animals/humans, for obvious reasons (yeah, I played Pokemon as a kid too, but it's just not something you care about anymore later, and really shouldn't because, in general, it doesn't benefit a society). But because of your age (again, I'm very impressed by your mindset in this situation!), I'd say go ahead and help your family with the money you earn from this, and give in charity. The thumbnails and all that don't actually have a relation to the rulings on these drawings, because Pokemon do not have souls, which is what the ruling is specifically about (that's why it covers both animals and humans, since they have souls). Pokemons are just drawings of people's imaginations that reflect nothing in reality, therefore this ruling cannot really be applied to them.

But please, I hope in years to come you do try to find a way out of Pokemon! With the mindset you've got thus far though, I'm sure you'll figure it out satisfactorily on your own, God Willing.

God Bless!
Reply

TyRazosaurus123
10-26-2017, 03:02 AM
Originally Posted by mslm
I'm very glad that you've got this mindset -- the average teenager, Muslim or otherwise, would take this opportunity to make as many bucks as possible, but you've got Islam on your mind, so congratulations my little brother, that's incredibly significant!

If you were an adult, I'd say "get away from Pokemon", regardless of the ruling on drawing animals/humans, for obvious reasons (yeah, I played Pokemon as a kid too, but it's just not something you care about anymore later, and really shouldn't because, in general, it doesn't benefit a society). But because of your age (again, I'm very impressed by your mindset in this situation!), I'd say go ahead and help your family with the money you earn from this, and give in charity. The thumbnails and all that don't actually have a relation to the rulings on these drawings, because Pokemon do not have souls, which is what the ruling is specifically about (that's why it covers both animals and humans, since they have souls). Pokemons are just drawings of people's imaginations that reflect nothing in reality, therefore this ruling cannot really be applied to them.

But please, I hope in years to come you do try to find a way out of Pokemon! With the mindset you've got thus far though, I'm sure you'll figure it out satisfactorily on your own, God Willing.

God Bless!

Thank you you very much for the compliments! As for the Pokemon thing, I'm sure I'll grow out of it. I'm just doing it for YouTube Right now, and will switch in the future.



Still unsure wether it is allowed or not, since one of my friends keeps on telling me it's still considered image-making and is haram.

So any other Brother or Sister willing to help, Is greatly appreciated! Please do so, and thank you!
Reply

Zzz_
10-27-2017, 08:33 PM
As mentioned before, digital images are 'ok' as far as dealing with images go. the content of the images is another matter. Unless its clearly something haram, i wouldn't worry about it. pokemon is a harmless cartoon and unless things have changed in the last 20 years, since they came out, i think they are ok to deal with for now.
Reply

TyRazosaurus123
10-29-2017, 04:30 AM
Originally Posted by Zzz_
As mentioned before, digital images are 'ok' as far as dealing with images go. the content of the images is another matter. Unless its clearly something haram, i wouldn't worry about it. pokemon is a harmless cartoon and unless things have changed in the last 20 years, since they came out, i think they are ok to deal with for now.
Thank you very much for the response!

if it's not too much trouble, can you (or anyone) provide evidence or a link to a site talking about this? Sorry. Really trying to make sure that it is allowed, and I'm not doing anything haram. Thank you very much!
Reply

rozyred
10-29-2017, 11:02 AM
Check this video.

https://youtu.be/97GFujVTk4k
Reply

lif
10-30-2017, 05:35 PM
Read this in sha Allah it will help you out

https://islamqa.info/en/71170
Reply

TyRazosaurus123
11-01-2017, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by lif
Read this in sha Allah it will help you out

https://islamqa.info/en/71170
Thank you very much for the response. However, I'm not really doing this for an "educational" purpose. The website says its permissible for an educational purpose. Would this mean what I am doing is not allowed?

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you very much for sharing that beautiful video! I'm not sure if you were sending that to the right forum (since it has not much to do with the question) but still was a beautiful video.

Anyone willing to let me know if making these thumbnails are haram or not (with evidence) is greatly appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by rozyred
Thank you very much for sharing that beautiful video! I'm not sure if you were sending that to the right forum (since it has not much to do with the question) but still was a beautiful video.

Anyone willing to let me know if making these thumbnails are haram or not (with evidence) is greatly appreciated
Reply

Scimitar
11-05-2017, 11:30 PM
the answer is NO! you can't!
Reply

TyRazosaurus123
11-05-2017, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by Scimitar
the answer is NO! you can't!
Can you please explain and provide evidence? Thanks
Reply

Scimitar
11-06-2017, 12:27 AM
maybe next time, in sh'Allah - time for bed.
Reply

TyRazosaurus123
11-11-2017, 11:32 PM
Please provide proof with why or why not it is haram. I really want to know soon. Thanks.
Reply

Scimitar
11-12-2017, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by TyRazosaurus123
Please provide proof with why or why not it is haram. I really want to know soon. Thanks.
The reasons have already been mentioned in this thread.

You join an Islamic forum, one of the best in the world (if not the best) where this subject has been done to death - and there is an whole forum for you to peruse through, full of information and a SEARCH option to the top right, which you can use to find "proof"... our word is apparently not good enough. The funny thing is, you have a fun n games channel, which you are promoting. Have you even read the Qur'an yet?

Qur'an 29:64 This life of the world is but a pastime and a game. Lo! the home of the Hereafter - that is Life, if they but knew.
This verse is warning against wasting time with fun n games. What more proof do you need? your whole channel is a fitan, forget the thumbnails, just close the channel down already, and beg Allah's forgiveness. And most of all, humble yourself!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum



As far as I know, as long as the pictures are not tangible (ie. printed photographs) or include anything haram, then they are permissible because they are digital.
that's an incorrect opinion, and one not grounded in any ijma/consensus from the scholars. The correct information is in the islamQA link which new member "lif" provided above!
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 99
    Last Post: 11-01-2017, 11:54 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-17-2008, 12:08 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-12-2008, 03:10 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-03-2007, 10:44 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!