/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Parents not agreeing to selection of spouse

hk92
10-24-2017, 06:09 PM
Asalamualkium all, I hope your well.
I just need some advice regarding my present situation. I have known this girl for roughly 5 years through which in terms of what I see would make an ideal wife for me. She is a very good friend of mine. Alhamdouillah she is very strict in her prayers, she is very family orientated and has a very clear character. I have met her and her family on a couple of occasions, as they don’t live in the same country, so you can say it’s been a long distance sort of situation. Currently I’m 25, I have a degree, I am in a stable position career wise and I am at that point in my life where I am just ready for marriage and the next chapter of life so to speak. I have told my parents regarding this girl, they have spoken on the phone to her mother ( her father has passed away couple years ago). But they think that due to her family background ( they don’t speak to their extended family), her status career wise ( as her father passed away whilst she was young, she along with her siblings have had to work from an early age. She has a degree but still wants to do further study to improve her career. My parents think that she is not a good match for me due to these issues. I have tried explaining to them that these are just worldly things which particularly in certain cultures praise more hold than the Islamic side of things

i speak with my parents honestly, I respect them, I want to get their approval, but at each stage I am met with disagreement. They think that I am naive in my decisions, any instances that I ask them to do something regarding pursuing marriage, they delay everything and act as though nothings happened. I personally don’t want to keep the girl waiting, both of us have spoken to our parents, her mother is ok with going through but I’m having resistance with my parents. I want to be in a situation where everything is sorted out in a halal away as soon as possible. I am jealous of my friends who my age are building families and have their own houses. I feel as though my life is being put on hold due to worldly issues such as trying to move to a bigger house. I know for certain this is the girl I want to spend my life with.
I have prayed istikharah, I’ve been reading tahajjud. Kindly brothers and sisters advise on what is the best way to tackle this situation.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.