/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How do I learn to pray & islamic terms?

Edem
10-26-2017, 12:51 PM
Assalamu alaikom brothers and sisters.

I've been a muslim since I was born. Sadly I haven't been fed up much with Islam. I did go to islam school for a while when I was a kid, but that's it aswell.

Now that I've done a few major sins I'd like to repen to Allah as I haven't been much close to Him. But I barely know those terms such as Fard/Sunnah/sudjud etc. I've also tried to search for it on Google but I can't seem to find answers. I hope that one of you could help a brother out.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Supernova
10-26-2017, 03:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Edem
Assalamu alaikom brothers and sisters.

I've been a muslim since I was born. Sadly I haven't been fed up much with Islam. I did go to islam school for a while when I was a kid, but that's it aswell.

Now that I've done a few major sins I'd like to repen to Allah as I haven't been much close to Him. But I barely know those terms such as Fard/Sunnah/sudjud etc. I've also tried to search for it on Google but I can't seem to find answers. I hope that one of you could help a brother out.
You searched it on google and couldn't find anything !!! - People will still help you but that shocks me. Do you know how to use Google ?

Side-line note: (Is it just me or has this Forum become first time posters wind up Forum?)

*charisma*
10-26-2017, 03:09 PM
Walaikum Asalaam

May Allah guide you to the right path ameen.

Look through this thread and it will help inshallah. If you are still confused, please let us know. Learn How to Pray & FAQ

Edem
10-26-2017, 03:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supernova
You searched it on google and couldn't find anything !!! - People will still help you but that shocks me. Do you know how to use Google ?

Side-line note: (Is it just me or has this Forum become first time posters wind up Forum?)

It's pretty much because I see other terms that I've never heard of so I can't really understand.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*charisma*
10-26-2017, 03:25 PM
It's pretty much because I see other terms that I've never heard of so I can't really understand.
It's understandable bro, I was in the same shoes a while ago. It gets overwhelming until someone breaks it down for you :)

Edem
10-26-2017, 03:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
It's understandable bro, I was in the same shoes a while ago. It gets overwhelming until someone breaks it down for you :)
And what are rakaat, fard & sunnah if I may ask?

- - - Updated - - -

Supernova
10-26-2017, 03:48 PM

- - - Updated - - -

​Which country are you in? Who is your most local mosque ?

Edem
10-26-2017, 04:04 PM
​Which country are you in? Who is your most local mosque ?
I live in The Netherlands. I don't really have a mosque nearby

Supernova
10-26-2017, 04:05 PM
What town are you in ? Don't worry we will get someone to help you.

*charisma*
10-26-2017, 05:04 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Rakaat is the course of a prayer. So all of the movements and actions that complete a course in prayer is one rakaah. You can read more about all the actions in salaah here: http://www.howtopray.com/page/20/rukoo-bowing

Fardh and sunnah have more extensive definitions and also fall into several categories. However, to keep it simple in regards to prayers, fardh in salaah is the prayers that you are obligated to do (if you don't do it, it's a major sin), while sunnah is highly emphasized, so you should make a habit of doing it.

Edem
10-26-2017, 06:18 PM
What town are you in ? Don't worry we will get someone to help you.
Small place called Leiden.

- - - Updated - - -

Rakaat is the course of a prayer. So all of the movements and actions that complete a course in prayer is one rakaah. You can read more about all the actions in salaah here: http://www.howtopray.com/page/20/rukoo-bowing

Fardh and sunnah have more extensive definitions and also fall into several categories. However, to keep it simple in regards to prayers, fardh in salaah is the prayers that you are obligated to do (if you don't do it, it's a major sin), while sunnah is highly emphasized, so you should make a habit of doing it.
Ohh alrighty man. Thanks for helping me out, I really appreciate it akhi.

Edem
10-27-2017, 07:16 PM

I still can't kinda get it. Do I pray fard or sunnah? And do I choose by myself if I can choose which one I should pray? For example do I pray sunnah at fajr or maghrib?

*charisma*
10-27-2017, 07:42 PM
I still can't kinda get it. Do I pray fard or sunnah? And do I choose by myself if I can choose which one I should pray? For example do I pray sunnah at fajr or maghrib?
No you pray fardh. So for fajr for example, there is 2 sunnah prayed first, then 2 fardh. You should pray them both, but since you are beginning, you MUST pray fardh at least.

Pinky
10-27-2017, 08:19 PM
Go to Amsons or even online Amazon some good Salaah books.

Zzz_
10-27-2017, 08:22 PM
as mentioned previously , see the resources available on here first, and then ask questions
Learn How to Pray & FAQ

- - - Updated - - -

as mentioned previously , see the resources available on here first, and then ask questions
Learn How to Pray & FAQ

Edem
10-27-2017, 08:22 PM
No you pray fardh. So for fajr for example, there is 2 sunnah prayed first, then 2 fardh. You should pray them both, but since you are beginning, you MUST pray fardh at least.
Ohh I fully get it now. And when you enter the masjid you also pray something before the salat really begins and before the imam starts reciting. What is that called & what do they pray?

*charisma*
10-27-2017, 08:34 PM
Ohh I fully get it now. And when you enter the masjid you also pray something before the salat really begins and before the imam starts reciting. What is that called & what do they pray?
Yes, its called tahiyaat al masjid which means "greeting the masjid" ..its also a sunnah so you should pray it everytime you enter a masjid. Its 2 rakaat of prayer. All prayers are prayed the same whether they are sunnah or fardh. Inshallah i will explain the categories of sunnah in a later post. Difficult to type it all out on my phone. :)

*charisma*
10-28-2017, 02:53 PM
http://askimam.org/public/question_detail/16045
As promised, here's a better explanation:

The Prayers that we offer daily have been categorised into 5 types:

1. Fardh – Compulsory. The person who leaves it out will be Sinful.
2. Wajib – Obligatory (the obligation is a bit less than Fardh). The person who leaves it out will be Sinful.
3. Sunnah Muakkadah – Constant practice of Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam). The person who leaves it out without any valid excuse will be Sinful.
4. Sunnah Ghair Muakkadah – Practice of Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam). The person who leaves it out will not be Sinful.
5. Nafl – Optional.

Hereunder is the number of rak’ats performed daily at each time of Salaah according to the Hanafi Mazhab:

Fajr Salaah: 4 Rak’ats
-2 Sunnah Muakkadah
-2 Fardh

Zuhr Salaah: 12 Rak’ats
-4 Sunnah Muakkadah
-4 Fardh
-2 Sunnah Muakkadah
-2 Nafl

Asr Salaah: 8 Rak’ats
-4 Sunnah Ghair Muakkadah
-4 Fardh

Maghrib Salaah: 7 Rak’ats
-3 Fardh
-2 Sunnah Muakkadah
-2 Nafl

Isha Salaah: 17 Rak’ats
-4 Fardh
-2 Sunnah Muakkadah
-2 Nafl
-3 Wajib (Witr salaah)
-2 Nafl

Jumu’ah Salaah: 14 Rak’ats
-4 Sunnah Muakkadah
-2 Fardh
-4 Sunnah Muakkadah
-2 Sunnah Muakkadah
-2 Nafl

Source

This is the order they must be prayed in as well. So for fajr salaah for example, you pray the 2 sunnah first, then you pray the 2 fardh. They are prayed the same way, except when you make the intention in your heart, you should make the intention to pray sunnah for sunnah and fardh for fardh before you begin the prayer. If you do not do this, your salaah doesn't count.

You must pray the prayers of fardh, no exceptions, and you need to make a habit of making the prayers where it says "sunnah muakkadah" and "wajib." Anywhere it says "sunnah ghair mu'akadah" or "nafl" are just optional prayers, but you will get extra reward for them inshallah.

Supernova
10-28-2017, 02:56 PM
http://askimam.org/public/question_detail/16045

As promised, here's a better explanation:

The Prayers that we offer daily have been categorised into 5 types:

1. Fardh – Compulsory. The person who leaves it out will be Sinful.
2. Wajib – Obligatory (the obligation is a bit less than Fardh). The person who leaves it out will be Sinful.
3. Sunnah Muakkadah – Constant practice of Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam). The person who leaves it out without any valid excuse will be Sinful.
4. Sunnah Ghair Muakkadah – Practice of Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam). The person who leaves it out will not be Sinful.
5. Nafl – Optional.

Hereunder is the number of rak’ats performed daily at each time of Salaah according to the Hanafi Mazhab:

Fajr Salaah: 4 Rak’ats
-2 Sunnah Muakkadah
-2 Fardh

Zuhr Salaah: 12 Rak’ats
-4 Sunnah Muakkadah
-4 Fardh
-2 Sunnah Muakkadah
-2 Nafl

Asr Salaah: 8 Rak’ats
-4 Fardh

Maghrib Salaah: 7 Rak’ats
-3 Fardh
-2 Sunnah Muakkadah
-2 Nafl

Isha Salaah: 17 Rak’ats
-4 Fardh
-2 Sunnah Muakkadah
-2 Nafl
-3 Wajib (Witr salaah)
-2 Nafl

Jumu’ah Salaah: 14 Rak’ats
-4 Sunnah Muakkadah
-2 Fardh
-4 Sunnah Muakkadah
-2 Sunnah Muakkadah
-2 Nafl

Source

This is the order they must be prayed in as well. So for fajr salaah for example, you pray the 2 sunnah first, then you pray the 2 fardh. They are prayed the same way, except when you make the intention in your heart, you should make the intention to pray sunnah for sunnah and fardh for fardh before you begin the prayer. If you do not do this, your salaah doesn't count.

You must pray the prayers of fardh, no exceptions, and you need to make a habit of making the prayers where it says "sunnah muakkadah" and "wajib." Anywhere it says "sunnah ghair mu'akadah" or "nafl" are just optional prayers, but you will get extra reward for them inshallah.
I think you should have added that's according to one school of thought. I understand why you didn't to avoid complication - but somehow these things come back to bite you.

*charisma*
10-28-2017, 02:58 PM
I think you should have added that's according to one school of thought. I understand why you didn't to avoid complication - but somehow these things come back to bite you.
Yea it says according to the hanafi madhab. But it's just the idea for him to understand what the terms mean and how the sunnah is broken down into the different categories.

Supernova
10-28-2017, 03:01 PM
Yea it says according to the hanafi madhab. But it's just the idea for him to understand what the terms mean and how the sunnah is broken down into the different categories.
Well actually one of things that differ is the terms itself : Example in other Madahib- there is no Wajib (Wajib is exclusive to Hanafi)
But job well - its forms a base and framework to work from.

:threadapp

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.