/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Oral Hygiene

Reminder
10-29-2017, 04:53 PM
I watched a video earlier of a doctor saying oral hygiene is scientifically linked to cardiovascular health. People who keep clean have healthier hearts.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*charisma*
10-30-2017, 01:31 PM
Asaalamu alaikum,

May i also add that digestive health is linked to brain health. :D

Grandad
10-30-2017, 03:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Asaalamu alaikum,

Ah well...that's me done for, then +o(

*charisma*
10-30-2017, 04:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grandad
Ah well...that's me done for, then +o(
Whys that? Is your brain damaged or you got belly aches :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Supernova
10-30-2017, 04:11 PM
Asaalamu alaikum,

Thats a very interesting yet debatable topic - commonly known as Gut Brain relationship. (Very common in debate in Autism)

*charisma*
10-30-2017, 04:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supernova
Thats a very interesting yet debatable topic - commonly known as Gut Brain relationship. (Very common in debate in Autism)
I believe there's a definite connection..how about you?

Supernova
10-30-2017, 06:47 PM
I believe there's a definite connection..how about you?
Yes I believe there is - although whether it is neurological or psychological is a different debate.

Grandad
10-30-2017, 06:49 PM
Whys that? Is your brain damaged or you got belly aches :D
Some might say too much around the waist...and not enough in the head. I would remind them that everything I could do at 17 I can do equally well at 72. Only goes to show what a wreck I was at 17. :hmm:

*charisma*
10-30-2017, 07:01 PM
Yes I believe there is - although whether it is neurological or psychological is a different debate.
Interesting. I haven't looked into it too much so I'm wondering, why's there a debate in regards to that? It can absolutely have an effect on both.

Some might say too much around the waist...and not enough in the head. I would remind them that everything I could do at 17 I can do equally well at 72. Only goes to show what a wreck I was at 17.
Mashallah are you 72? May Allah forgive your sins and grant you a healthy life ameen :)

A little bit around the waist isn't anything to worry about. More of me to love is what I say ;D

Grandad
10-30-2017, 07:20 PM
Interesting. I haven't looked into it too much so I'm wondering, why's there a debate in regards to that? It can absolutely have an effect on both.

Mashallah are you 72? May Allah forgive your sins and grant you a healthy life ameen :)

A little bit around the waist isn't anything to worry about. More of me to love is what I say ;D
Just about, in sha Allah. My brain thinks I'm 30...until I try climbing a flight of stairs. Thank you for your blessing. That's very kind. May He who is the Lord of Mercy do the same for you.

As for my waistline....my wife says the same. That is why she forces chocolate and goodies upon me...in spite of my protests. It would be rude of me to refuse, of course. The things I do for love ^o)

*charisma*
10-30-2017, 07:37 PM
Just about, in sha Allah. My brain thinks I'm 30...until I try climbing a flight of stairs.
Oh I didn't know youngins are excited to walk up stairs..cuz here I am excited to use an elevator ;D Don't worry I think we're all the same shape regardless of age...."round" ;D ;D

As for my waistline....my wife says the same. That is why she forces chocolate and goodies upon me...in spite of my protests. It would be rude of me to refuse, of course. The things I do for love
We wouldn't be good wives if we didn't fatten up our hubbies :D

Supernova
10-30-2017, 09:09 PM
No - not Absolute - that's the entire issue. If there was absoluteness in it, there would be no debate at all.
I will try to précis this for you.
When it impacts on the neurological cortex - this SHOULD entice a certain behaviour - but if the brain scan indicates neurotransmission without resulting in behaviour changes then effectively it can't be deduced that it effected the psychology of the person.

Then you have the other cases whereby a food intake will impact the behaviour yet the brain scan shows no neurotransmission

So that raises the entire debate.

Grandad
10-31-2017, 02:16 PM
We wouldn't be good wives if we didn't fatten up our hubbies :D
My thoughts exactly....especially when handed a plate of home-made cookies :p

*charisma*
10-31-2017, 05:03 PM
When it impacts on the neurological cortex - this SHOULD entice a certain behaviour - but if the brain scan indicates neurotransmission without resulting in behaviour changes then effectively it can't be deduced that it effected the psychology of the person.

Then you have the other cases whereby a food intake will impact the behaviour yet the brain scan shows no neurotransmission
I believe this would require intensive research. For food to have an impact neurologically it would depend on what the food is, whether or not it's isolated, and how long it's being experimented. Quite a few factors to take into consideration I suppose. The brain..such a complex organ subhanallah :)

Abz2000
10-31-2017, 06:59 PM
The brain no doubt takes it's cocktails of chemicals, along with tissue and proteins etc from the food, gases, and liquids we ingest, so why should it be a cause of doubt that what's in the bloodstream affects brain health and performance? And since mood and behaviour are changed by food and drugs, at least the transmitters in the reward center are being fired along with most or all the other networked components (which are affected by the reward center at least to a small extent since it is the primary lobbyist behind decisions and resulting actions), maybe some of the micro-currents are too small to be picked up or accurately read by current tech ....Or maybe i am being too childish and simplistic in approach?

*charisma*
10-31-2017, 08:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
The brain no doubt takes it's cocktails of chemicals, along with tissue and proteins etc from the food, gases, and liquids we ingest, so why should it be a cause of doubt that what's in the bloodstream affects brain health and performance? And since mood and behaviour are changed by food and drugs, at least the transmitters in the reward center are being fired along with most or all the other networked components (which are affected by the reward center at least to a small extent since it is the primary lobbyist behind decisions and resulting actions), maybe some of the micro-currents are too small to be picked up or accurately read by current tech ....Or maybe i am being too childish and simplistic in approach?
I kinda agree with what you're saying. For example, there's a diet which is recommended and is effective for those who have epileptic seizures called the ketogenic diet. It's a high (healthy) fat, very low carb diet. It basically forces the body's metabolism to run on fats (ketosis) instead of glucose. I think since the brain is largely made up of fat, this diet supports brain health. Normal people who do this diet also experience a heightened sense of mental clarity. However, it can take months or up to a year before the body becomes ketogenic. An experiment which only measures a few weeks or a few months of this diet will not yield sufficient results if the body is not yet in a state of ketosis.

Supernova
10-31-2017, 08:07 PM
I believe this would require intensive research. For food to have an impact neurologically it would depend on what the food is, whether or not it's isolated, and how long it's being experimented. Quite a few factors to take into consideration I suppose. The brain..such a complex organ subhanallah :)
Very intensive research goes into it - and frankly does our head in

Abz2000
11-01-2017, 03:11 AM
I kinda agree with what you're saying. For example, there's a diet which is recommended and is effective for those who have epileptic seizures called the ketogenic diet. It's a high (healthy) fat, very low carb diet. It basically forces the body's metabolism to run on fats (ketosis) instead of glucose. I think since the brain is largely made up of fat, this diet supports brain health. Normal people who do this diet also experience a heightened sense of mental clarity. However, it can take months or up to a year before the body becomes ketogenic. An experiment which only measures a few weeks or a few months of this diet will not yield sufficient results if the body is not yet in a stat of ketosis.
To think i was only reading about ketosis just a few days ago (as the saying goes: great minds think alike :) )

Was learning about electrolytes and how they aid in survival because we have a very thin paralyzied arterial stroke patient and came across the more frightening effects of ketosis though :

In the first three days, the body is still using energy from glucose.[citation needed] After that, the liver starts processing body fat, in a process called ketosis. After depleting fat, the body enters a "starvation mode".[citation needed] At this point the body "mines" the muscles and vital organs for energy, and loss of bone marrow becomes life-threatening. There are examples of hunger strikers dying after 46 to 73 days of strike.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunger_strike
Also, Muslims do a very decent calibration during ramadan and get to keep the body adaptable regardless of era or individual medical knowledge.

M.I.A.
11-01-2017, 03:09 PM
I honestly cant believe it..

Maybe one day people will be killed for smiling.

Thought provoking.

I prefer the other one.. similar but different..

About the tongue being a reflection of the state of man.. and the disease he carries with him.

Its a hadith but i have literally badly paraphrased and cant find it on google.

Not to be confused with any biblical teaching about food or some such thing.

Anyway in my own experience i share this..

I met a guy that always gives me incorrect money..

The last time he came in i even gave him extra change..

Really destroyed me.. iv felt angry all week.. i didnt even sleep properly one night.

I can only think its blood pressure but exercise seemed to have helped.

I feel i may do him a disservice the next time he comes through..

Although hes a lot bigger than me, always mentions gym work.. or maybe i shrink sometimes.

I am not accustomed to making mistakes.

Definitely bigger in the back.

..honestly dont know what happens if i kill him off. (Not literally)

*charisma*
11-01-2017, 03:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
I met a guy that always gives me incorrect money..

The last time he came in i even gave him extra change..

Really destroyed me.. iv felt angry all week.. i didnt even sleep properly one night.

I can only think its blood pressure but exercise seemed to have helped.
Do you not say anything when he gives you incorrect change? A receipt/bill should be good in cases like these.

But yes, exercise is quite a stress reliever. I loved kickboxing...I want to start up again.
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
Was learning about electrolytes and how they aid in survival because we have a very thin paralyzied arterial stroke patient and came across the more frightening effects of ketosis though :

In the first three days, the body is still using energy from glucose.[citation needed] After that, the liver starts processing body fat, in a process called ketosis. After depleting fat, the body enters a "starvation mode".[citation needed] At this point the body "mines" the muscles and vital organs for energy, and loss of bone marrow becomes life-threatening. There are examples of hunger strikers dying after 46 to 73 days of strike.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunger_strike
Also, Muslims do a very decent calibration during ramadan and get to keep the body adaptable regardless of era or individual medical knowledge.
There are people who have been on the keto diet for years with only excellent results. Supplementing electrolytes is an absolute must on this diet, especially with sodium and magnesium. A range for fat is also necessary to continue proper hormone functions, and a certain amount of protein intake has to be achieved daily to prevent muscle loss. Weight lifting and HIIT is also recommending for muscle building/maintenance. Some also like to add in the benefits of intermittent fasting later on once ketosis is achieved because hunger cravings become obsolete. I wouldn't compare this diet to a hunger strike.

Anyways I tried it for 3 weeks and would like to try it again inshallah.

M.I.A.
11-01-2017, 04:19 PM
Do you not say anything when he gives you incorrect change? A receipt/bill should be good in cases like these.

But yes, exercise is quite a stress reliever. I loved kickboxing...I want to start up again.

There are people who have been on the keto diet for years with only excellent results. Supplementing electrolytes is an absolute must on this diet, especially with sodium and magnesium. A range for fat is also necessary to continue proper hormone functions, and a certain amount of protein intake has to be achieved daily to prevent muscle loss. Weight lifting and HIIT is also recommending for muscle building/maintenance. Some also like to add in the benefits of intermittent fasting later on once ketosis is achieved because hunger cravings become obsolete. I wouldn't compare this diet to a hunger strike.

Anyways I tried it for 3 weeks and would like to try it again inshallah.
..i actually dont, in fact he lectures me sometimes..

Why havent you got this.. or this.. dont you want to make money?

..and usually talks about how i always look after him.

I must be a soft touch.

..mmmhh.. just box in the back room.. cardio..

No heavy bag.

..i dont know how people do it.. i think id be dead already if i didnt look after myself before i came here.

I havent used my legs properly in 3 years.. going to need a solid year when i leave this place.

..i miss football.

I think next time i will just tell him to leave.. and hope nothing bad happens.

Its extremely strange to get hustled so easily.

https://youtu.be/QzNOv2i_Q-w

Imo.. he won fair and square lol..

If your not quicker in the head, very little else is going to count.
He came in with his partner once..

I talked to her about cooking!! ..or rather she talked to me about it.

Strangest days of my life.

Also i dont have high blood pressure, just excess energy lol..

Just need my body to catch up...

And it does.

..hah.. was almost a coherent post, right?

Imo language and the word is the most powerful thing in this place..

Its an extremely hard lesson to learn..

Id refer back to that hadith but i.. dont know it properly..

Here is a random website narration: please check before reading..

As the Prophet said, we all have a morsel of flesh in our bodies. If it is good, our whole is good and if it is not, then our whole body is spoiled.-

In reference to the heart.

Rather than the teeth.

...cant read for toffee really.. honestly you couldnt even imagine such a day.

Be greatful.

I really dont know how to do it for the money.

"/

Maybe should have been a dentist.

Could be worse i suppose..

https://www.islamicboard.com/the-her...ks#post2975049

*charisma*
11-01-2017, 08:29 PM
..i dont know how people do it.. i think id be dead already if i didnt look after myself before i came here.

I havent used my legs properly in 3 years.. going to need a solid year when i leave this place.
Where's "here?" Do you live somewhere that ties you down?

I think next time i will just tell him to leave.. and hope nothing bad happens.

Its extremely strange to get hustled so easily.

https://youtu.be/QzNOv2i_Q-w

Imo.. he won fair and square lol..

If your not quicker in the head, very little else is going to count.
I think you just don't want to be rude, but he shouldn't be taking advantage of you. It doesn't have to be confrontational, but he is basically hustling you lol. I'm guessing you take care of him or something? He's an elderly man? So you feel bad asking for what's yours?

..hah.. was almost a coherent post, right?

Imo language and the word is the most powerful thing in this place..
I usually understand your posts. I can see how others can't though. You go on tangents..sort of melding the thoughts in your head and your reply together. One just has to decipher which is which :)

Here is a random website narration: please check before reading..

As the Prophet said, we all have a morsel of flesh in our bodies. If it is good, our whole is good and if it is not, then our whole body is spoiled.-

In reference to the heart.
You were correct:
“Surely, in the body there is a small piece of flesh; if it is good, the whole body is good, and if it is corrupted, the whole body is corrupted, and that is surely the heart.” [Bukhari]

RisingLight
11-04-2017, 02:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Reminder
I watched a video earlier of a doctor saying oral hygiene is scientifically linked to cardiovascular health. People who keep clean have healthier hearts.

Yeah that is true.A football (soccer) club didnt sign a contract with a football player because he had bad teethHe had a great physic,and was awesome player,but they were afraid that something would happen to his health.Thank you for reminding me of this :)

Nightstart
12-03-2017, 09:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Reminder

Alhamdulillah, that is true. Just keep brushing ur teeth.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.