/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islamic Music Reviews

faisal27
11-11-2017, 01:34 PM
Salam,

I recently attended a lecture about Islamic Music and how this industry is growing. Islamic music has come a long way, from soft melodies by Sami Yusuf and Zain Bhikha to up-beat instrumental tracks from Maher Zain, Safe Adam and Harris J.

Many of these songs share deep meaningful lyrics. Occasionally I hear lyrics that directly correlate with verses in the Quran.

So I decided to start an Islamic Music review website called [link removed], where I call out these links.

I have already reviewed a number of tracks and now stating to wonder what type of songs people enjoy most.

Please list your top 2-3 Islamic Songs in this thread. It would be really helpful!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
11-11-2017, 03:46 PM
Musical instruments are haram. Nasheeds are the only thing that are allowed.

On a side note: Mahr Zain? You mean the guy from One Direction? His music is anything BUT Islamic.

faisal27
11-11-2017, 10:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 00001001
Musical instruments are haram. Nasheeds are the only thing that are allowed.

On a side note: Mahr Zain? You mean the guy from One Direction? His music is anything BUT Islamic.
There are differences of opinion regarding instruments. There are many non-music Nasheeds available as you mentioned, I try to review them all.

No I believe you're referring to Zain Malik. I don't know too much about him but from what i've heard I agree.

Here is a review I did of a Maher Zain song: Ya Nabi Salam Alayka

*charisma*
11-12-2017, 05:45 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

format_quote Originally Posted by faisal27
Many of these songs share deep meaningful lyrics. Occasionally I hear lyrics that directly correlate with verses in the Quran.
Why not just listen to quran?

There are differences of opinion regarding instruments. There are many non-music Nasheeds available as you mentioned, I try to review them all.
Difference of opinion amongst whom? All four madhabs condemn music and consider it haram.

You have found a platform for yourself, so don't you think it is more preferable for your akhira to lead people towards something which you know is beloved by Allah and which will bring you great reward? Instead of analyzing and studying the many anasheed out there, won't it be more beneficial to use your time to learn the Quran? These are just questions to ask yourself.

I'm only advising bro, I don't want it to seem like the forum is against you or anything, but we are here to help one another and Allah will show mercy to us for doing so. The very least of what you could do with your website is to stay away from promoting those which have the instruments and music, and to remove any images which are unislamic. You have to reflect on what your intention is and match it with a proper, correct action.

If having a website is something you really want for making money or whatever, find a better alternative. Muslims around the world are many. You can get in touch with Muslim entrepreneurs, web developers, web designers, etc. and find something which is halal and more suitable. You can collaborate, or put your mind, time, and effort towards making something for muslims which is not out there yet.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
faisal27
11-12-2017, 11:24 AM
I have just joined this board and finding it to be very negative.

The primary purpose of the music hub is to teach young people about Quran and Hadith. Statistics show that music videos are the most viewed on Youtube, and many Musilm youngsters are doing the same. Just google Harris J and you'll find young Muslims screaming like crazy for him - I see my blog as a great way to reach these youngsters and help them understand Quran further.

There are Hadith where the prophet allowed music on occasions, which is where the difference of opinion comes from. I respect and understand both views.

sister herb
11-12-2017, 11:31 AM
It would to be interesting if you could show that hadith you mentioned (where the prophet allows music).

11-12-2017, 03:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
It would to be interesting if you could show that hadith you mentioned (where the prophet allows music).
Not really a hadith, but the daff is allowed for women in special occasions like weddings (among themselves). https://islamqa.info/en/9290

sister herb
11-12-2017, 03:51 PM
I was watching few live videos of Harris J. Yep, young hijabi girls screaming for that young lad, sitting near of boys. Just like in any other western style concert. What a great opportunity for free mixing and fitnah. Pop-style songs but with Islamic message.

That made me think how difficult it must to be a young Muslim or Muslimah, who has learnt to admire everything western and who passionately wants to be like every other teenagers in their society like clubbing, dating, going to pop concerts etc. Audience of that singer might not be very excited if we (or any other) will say "why not you listen the recitation of the Quran instead of those pop style songs if message is same?".

:hmm:

faisal27
11-12-2017, 04:42 PM
I was watching few live videos of Harris J. Yep, young hijabi girls screaming for that young lad, sitting near of boys. Just like in any other western style concert. What a great opportunity for free mixing and fitnah. Pop-style songs but with Islamic message.

That made me think how difficult it must to be a young Muslim or Muslimah, who has learnt to admire everything western and who passionately wants to be like every other teenagers in their society like clubbing, dating, going to pop concerts etc. Audience of that singer might not be very excited if we (or any other) will say "why not you listen the recitation of the Quran instead of those pop style songs if message is same?".

:hmm:
Yes this is my point. The audience won't sit and listen to Quran in the same way (some might), so it needs to be presented through things they can be reached through. Inshallah they will then start learning more on their own.

That's why I decided to review nasheeds, and not start a blog about Quranic analysis - it wouldn't reach the same audience.

I have responded to your comment about Hadiths allowing instruments on occasion. I think the moderators need to approve it as i'm new to the forum?

- - - Updated - - -

Certainly. I'm not going to give a clear cut answer as that is the work of scholars, but i'll present the various views with reference to Quran and Hadith.

Arguments For

Narated By 'Aisha : That once Abu Bakr came to her on the day of 'Id-ul-Fitr or 'Id ul Adha while the Prophet was with her and there were two girl singers with her, singing songs of the Ansar about the day of Buath. Abu Bakr said twice. "Musical instrument of Satan!" But the Prophet said, "Leave them Abu Bakr, for every nation has an 'Id (i.e. festival) and this day is our 'Id." (Bukhari Volume 5, Book 58, Number 268)

'A'isha reported: Abu Bakr came to see me and I had two girls with me from among the girls of the Ansar and they were singing what the Ansar recited to one another at the Battle of Bu'ath. They were not, however, singing girls. Upon this Abu Bakr said: What I (the playing of) this wind instrument of Satan in the house of the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) and this too on 'Id day? Upon this the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: Abu Bakr, every people have a festival and it is our festival (so let them play on).(Muslim, Book 004, Number 1938)

It was narrated that al-Rubayyi’ bint Mu’awwidh ibn ‘Afra’ said: “After the consummation of my marriage, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came and sat on my bed as far from me as you are sitting now, and our little girls started beating the daff and reciting verses mourning my father, who had been killed in the battle of Badr. One of them said, ‘Among us is a Prophet who knows what will happen tomorrow.’ On that the Prophet said, ‘Omit this (saying) and keep on saying the verses which you had been saying before.’” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4852).

Here we see the prophet allowed music and singing on occasions. There is a similar hadith about people singing and playing drums to welcome the Prophet on return.

Arguments Against

There is a Hadith that suggests music is forbidden all-together:

Narrated Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari:
that he heard the Prophet saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful... (Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 69, Number 494v)

As it's placed with other things that are major sins, there is a suggestion that it is Haram too.

A Neutral Quran

There is no verse in the Quran which states that music is haram, there is also no verse that says it is halal.

The closest verse we have is the following from Surah Luqman:

(In an attempt to show that God's revelations are only ancient legends) some people pay for meaningless tales to draw others attention away from the Quran without knowledge and treat as a matter of fun. They will suffer a humiliating torment.

This was revealed at a time when people were purchasing singing slave girls, who would often sing about the past wars. The verse suggests that listening to meaningless tales (or songs) is not allowed, as this takes people away from Islam and the Quran. This verse can be used to show that most mainstream music is not allowed, as they sing about meaningless things that will distract people from Islam. They often also encourage haram things which is even worse!

While the verse gives strong evidence to discourage mainstream music, it does not say anything about instruments or Islamic music / Nasheeds.

Conclusion

· Some people view the above evidence and decide it's best to play it safe due to the Hadith against instruments. They conclude instruments are Haram
· Some people view the above and observe that the prophet allowed music on occasions, so it cannot be bad. They conclude instruments are Halal, or Halal on joyful occasions only
· Others look at the above and note that the duff (drum) was usually the instrument used, they assume that this must mean the duff is allowed, but other instruments Haram
· Most of the groups above will agree (based on Quran) that listening to unislamic Music is certainly Haram.

The reality is that this is one of those debated areas in Islam where everyone has different opinions. We can certainly put opinions across, but should respect all views. If we don't the danger is that we end up dividing the religion, and there is a clear verse in the Quran against dividing the religion. Therefore I review all Islamic songs on Islamic Music Hub.

M.I.A.
11-12-2017, 04:43 PM
The whole reason why music is popular is that people can relate to it!!

Regardless of genre.

Feeling and subject matter conveyed as opinion..

Reinforcing viewpoints about itself and the world although..

Its just opinion.

Life effects us all but you have to be careful of the lifestyle you promote..

And what you actually enable in the people.

..but yeah...

Instruments..

Maher zain at least does vocal only tracks.. which is about as responsible as you can be in the industry.

Maybe he has segregated concerts? I dunno?

They do seem at present to be religiously motivated.. and not much wrong is said..

Which means not much to get offended by.

Although the demographic builds itself.

.. :|

Supernova
11-12-2017, 08:17 PM
I have just joined this board and finding it to be very negative.

@*charisma* gave it to you straight - that's not negative - that's the Truth. Don't burn your own imaan by saying the truth is negative

The primary purpose of the music hub is to teach young people about Quran and Hadith (You do realise that paradox there calling it Music Hub and then saying the purpose is to call people to Quran and Hadith). Statistics show that music videos are the most viewed on YouTube (What Statistics? Please do kindly show us this statistic and the source and criteria of how the survey was carried out), and many Musilm youngsters are doing the same. Just google Harris J and you'll find young Muslims screaming like crazy for him - I see my blog as a great way to reach these youngsters and help them understand Quran further. (Although your blog is about Haraam Music? )

There are Hadith where the prophet allowed music on occasions, which is where the difference of opinion comes from ( and.....you did realise you said "on occasions" meanwhile your blog will be up 24/7 right ?). I respect and understand both views. (Not really - you actually don't respect both views because there is no other Valid view and if you did respect both views, you wouldn't have said its negative in the first place)

faisal27
11-12-2017, 10:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supernova
(You do realise that paradox there calling it Music Hub and then saying the purpose is to call people to Quran and Hadith)
Only if you take the view that music is not allowed.

( and.....you did realise you said "on occasions" meanwhile your blog will be up 24/7 right ?)
My blog is text that people read.

@*charisma* gave it to you straight - that's not negative - that's the Truth. Don't burn your own imaan by saying the truth is negative
There were some posts with swearing after I posted about my blog, thankfully these were removed. Those were the negative comments I was referring to.

Statistics show that music videos are the most viewed on YouTube (What Statistics? Please do kindly show us this statistic and the source and criteria of how the survey was carried out)
Not sure why this is important... but i'll answer. Take a look at this article. The top 100 most viewed Youtube videos are presented, 5 of which are NOT music videos.

(Although your blog is about Haraam Music? )
Islamic Music Hub is about reviewing nasheeds, not mainstream music.

Here is a post I wrote today. It's a lovely children's song and only contains voice and drums. Allah Made Everything by Zain Bhikha

sister herb
11-13-2017, 04:02 PM
As Muslims, we can´t "take a view". We follow what Islam teaches to us. Taking a personal view leads us to the dangerous path where we believe we can take our own view about everything and make unlawful accepted. You are not the only one with similar trying. Not so long time here was discussion where one member tried to find excuses that using drugs is halal because it suits to his own opinions. Some other may claim that free mixing between male and female is ok or that homosexual is ok because he has taken such view.

Supernova
11-13-2017, 04:15 PM
please provide proof from the Salaf that music is allowed.

My blog is text that people read.
nevertheless it is a up on the internet 24/7 promoting haram

There were some posts with swearing after I posted about my blog, thankfully these were removed. Those were the negative comments I was referring to.
Even then you still never refute her answer.

Not sure why this is important... but i'll answer. Take a look at this article. The top 100 most viewed Youtube videos are presented, 5 of which are NOT music videos.
The fact that you can't see why the source and criteria of a survey is important is worrying in itself

Islamic Music Hub is about reviewing nasheeds, not mainstream music.

Here is a post I wrote today. It's a lovely children's song and only contains voice and drums. Allah Made Everything by Zain Bhikha
Modern Nasheeds are nothing but a watered down metamorphic of the original haram music.

further more - Consider the fact that no a single person has agreed with yet on the whole. That says a lot

czgibson
11-13-2017, 05:34 PM
Greetings,

As Muslims, we can´t "take a view". We follow what Islam teaches to us.
But the teaching is demonstrably unclear, and there is widespread disagreement about it. The permissibility of musical instruments is not mentioned in the Qur'an, only in the ahadith, and different scholars have different opinions about how valid they are. As a result, there are plenty of Muslims who believe there is nothing wrong with listening to musical instruments - for example, Yusuf Islam (formerly known as Cat Stevens), who has continued his music career despite his conversion to Islam.

Peace

faisal27
11-13-2017, 09:57 PM
I'm not saying music is allowed, nor am I saying it's not allowed - all i'm saying is that there is no clear verse on this topic in the Quran, and different opinions about it's permissibly. Therefore we should respect all views.

Prominent people against Music in Islam:

Abu Hanifa, Al-Shafi'i, Malik, Ahmad bin Hanbal, Al-Tabari, Al-Hasan Al-Basri, Al-Bukhari, Al-Tirmidhi, Al-Nawawi, Al-Bayhaqi, Al-Tahawi, Al-Qurtubi

Prominent people for Music in Islam:

Imam al-Ghazali, Abu Bakr ibn al-Arabi, Ibn al-Qaisarani, Ibn Sina, Rumi, Ibn Rushd, Ibn Hazm

'Abd-al Latif
11-13-2017, 10:09 PM

No I believe you're referring to Zain Malik. I don't know too much about him but from what i've heard I agree.

Here is a review I did of a Maher Zain song: Ya Nabi Salam Alayka
In Usool al-fiqh, this difference of opinion is invalid and therefore cannot be used as an argument. In the Arabic language this is called a 'shaad' opinion i.e. an opinion which does not conform with the teachings of Islam.

In other words, this opinion of musical instruments being permissible is not accepted by the scholars and therefore has no basis in Islam.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not saying music is allowed, nor am I saying it's not allowed - all i'm saying is that there is no clear verse on this topic in the Quran, and different opinions about it's permissibly. Therefore we should respect all views.

Prominent people against Music in Islam:

Abu Hanifa, Al-Shafi'i, Malik, Ahmad bin Hanbal, Al-Tabari, Al-Hasan Al-Basri, Al-Bukhari, Al-Tirmidhi, Al-Nawawi, Al-Bayhaqi, Al-Tahawi, Al-Qurtubi

Prominent people for Music in Islam:

Imam al-Ghazali, Abu Bakr ibn al-Arabi, Ibn al-Qaisarani, Ibn Sina, Rumi, Ibn Rushd, Ibn Hazm
Again this is called a 'shaad opinion'. Look this up. There is no basis for music being permissible in Islam as these 'opinions' go against the clear ahadeeth of the Prophet :saws1: . It also very dangerous to cherry pick opinions. You must avoid doing this.

- - - Updated - - -

The prohibition of musical instruments has been discussed in depth here Music

M.I.A.
11-14-2017, 12:51 PM
..sooo...

Whos going to be christmas No.1?

faisal27
11-14-2017, 02:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
..sooo...

Whos going to be christmas No.1?
No idea, I don't listen to mainstream music lol

M.I.A.
11-14-2017, 05:58 PM
Lol, thats a good answer.

OmAbdullah
11-14-2017, 08:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum

Why not just listen to quran?

Difference of opinion amongst whom? All four madhabs condemn music and consider it haram.

You have found a platform for yourself, so don't you think it is more preferable for your akhira to lead people towards something which you know is beloved by Allah and which will bring you great reward? Instead of analyzing and studying the many anasheed out there, won't it be more beneficial to use your time to learn the Quran? These are just questions to ask yourself.

I'm only advising bro, I don't want it to seem like the forum is against you or anything, but we are here to help one another and Allah will show mercy to us for doing so. The very least of what you could do with your website is to stay away from promoting those which have the instruments and music, and to remove any images which are unislamic. You have to reflect on what your intention is and match it with a proper, correct action.

If having a website is something you really want for making money or whatever, find a better alternative. Muslims around the world are many. You can get in touch with Muslim entrepreneurs, web developers, web designers, etc. and find something which is halal and more suitable. You can collaborate, or put your mind, time, and effort towards making something for muslims which is not out there yet.

Very good, Masha-Allah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.