/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Nursing and caring for Muslims

kenkarlis
11-11-2017, 11:51 PM
I have a few questions that I would love to get some answers for from the Muslim community.

I am a male registered nurse in San Francisco and I would love some honest answers to these questions.

1) What advice would you give a male RN who is about to care for a member of the Muslim community?
2) How do Muslims generally feel about their daily life in the United States today, given the political circumstances and the current administration that is leading our country?
3) What are a few things that Muslims in the United States wish were different? Just anything…

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*charisma*
11-12-2017, 06:53 AM
Hi @kenkarlis

format_quote Originally Posted by kenkarlis
1) What advice would you give a male RN who is about to care for a member of the Muslim community?
Muslim women are generally more comfortable with female staff when it comes to having to uncover or getting examined. While hospitals can accommodate, I can understand when it may not be possible. In such cases, I would suggest that male RN's are sensitive and try to help the woman maintain the her modesty. For example, unless otherwise necessary, uncovering the affected areas for examination/treatment instead of undressing completely will exemplify your respect towards the woman's beliefs.

2) How do Muslims generally feel about their daily life in the United States today, given the political circumstances and the current administration that is leading our country?
I think this has a complex answer. I think the best way to describe it is that I feel or am made to feel different. It doesn't matter what my interests are, how well I communicate, how I look, there's always a setback, an incident of discrimination, or a prejudice that reminds me that I'm never fully accepted as an American or that I'm incapable, incompetent, inexperienced because of what I am or my appearance. I have much more to offer than what I'm being given. It really doesn't really matter who the leader is. That's my answer for the greater scheme of things. I would never say that I've ever been attacked or felt unsafe, although I can't really say that I'm confident in the justice system/law enforcement if there ever were a case that I needed their help for those purposes.

3) What are a few things that Muslims in the United States wish were different? Just anything…
I would want for people to be more open/unafraid towards asking us questions about our faith instead of turning towards the media, internet, or nonMuslims for answers. It seems that the only voices that are shown representing the image of Muslims these days are those who are extremely liberal or extremists.
I would also want there to be a wider understanding and acceptance to hiring Muslim women who choose to cover themselves, or that covering in general is a nonissue.

AbdurRahman.
11-13-2017, 01:47 PM
Muslims love it in USA, they do worry sometimes about being victim of Islamaphobia and that Trumps ascendancy may increase that likelihood but generally they're happy as quality of life is so much better in USA

In terms of receiving care, there don't need to be anything different really, they'd be happy to receive the care same as everyone else, other than the gender compatibility mentioned above

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.