/* */

PDA

View Full Version : US: Muslim students are getting their hijabs pulled of by teachers in classrooms

Singularity
11-18-2017, 11:06 PM
http://www.newsweek.com/teacher-plac...pulling-714356

MUSLIM STUDENTS ARE GETTING THEIR HIJABS PULLED OFF BY TEACHERS IN CLASSROOMS ACROSS THE NATION
BY BEATRICE DUPUY ON 11/16/17 AT 6:02 PM
A Virginia school district has placed a teacher on leave for removing a student’s hijab from her head. The student took to Twitter after the incident Wednesday saying that her hijab was “ripped off her head” by a teacher she appreciated and valued, according to WJLA.

An account that appears to belong to the student said she was talking with her friend when the teacher pulled off her hijab from behind. To her shock, he then said: “Oh, your hair is so pretty,” she said on Twitter.
The Fairfax County Public School district released a statement calling the incident “inappropriate and unacceptable.” “FCPS takes this incident seriously and, while a thorough investigation of the incident is conducted, the teacher has been placed on leave,” the district said.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations confirmed the Twitter statements from the student. “We welcome the decision to place the teacher on leave and to apologize to the student and her family, but further disciplinary action needs to be taken based on the results of the investigation into this disturbing incident," Nihad Awad, CAIR national executive director, said. "No student should be bullied or attacked because of his or her faith. Teachers must protect students, not subject them to harassment or intimidation,”

School districts have reported hijab pulling at schools across the nation from teachers and students in recent months. CAIR also called for the removal of a teacher from a Nashville, Tennessee, charter school last week. A teacher from the school uploaded a video to social media showing a student at the New Vision Academy Charter School having her hijab removed to show students. In the video, the girl is seen trying to cover up her hair as someone tries to pull off her hijab and play with her hair. A Snapchat video of the incident showed students touching the student’s hair with the caption “pretty hair.”

The teacher was later suspended without pay last week.

“New Vision will use this video as an opportunity to press forward with increasing cultural sensitivity and awareness among all members of the New Vision community,” Tim Malone, executive director of the school, said in a statement to WSMV.

In May, a Bronx substitute teacher in New York City ripped off a second-grade student’s hijab because the student was allegedly misbehaving. The teacher was later charged with a hate crime.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
11-18-2017, 11:41 PM
Anchor: In other news; Why do Muslims around the world hate the West?
Anchor: Thank you for coming Anti-Terrorist expert John Smith. So why do Muslims around the world hate the west?
John: Cuz we got freedom and shiii AND cuz we are goddamn MURICA!
Anchor: Well folks, that was it for today. Thank you John for insight and good night.

Captain Howdy
11-19-2017, 08:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 00001001
Anchor: Well folks, that was it for today. Thank you John for insight and good night.
The day you allow us to preach our religion in KSA and moslem lands . We will support your freedom of Hijab in Murica uwu

*charisma*
11-19-2017, 04:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Captain Howdy
The day you allow us to preach our religion in KSA and moslem lands . We will support your freedom of Hijab in Murica uwu
Uhhh...Freedom of religion is already supported in America. It's a constitutional right, but you probably don't know that since you're not American.

What you're supporting is called harassment. Don't get it twisted :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Search
11-19-2017, 07:01 PM
:bism: (In the Name of God, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful)

What, sir, are you stuck in a man's body with the mentality of a seven-year old? You believe apparently that Muslim lands are wrong in regard to lack of allowance of preaching of other religions as part of freedom, yet here you are talking so cavalierly about oppressing someone's freedom to don the headgear they choose on their head? So, in essence, you're saying you think someone is wrong but will support that wrong position in the reverse as part of a seven-year old type tit for tat mentality? Seriously, you and others need to mature beyond egotistical ideas.

By the way, as an American, I find such words, as much as I find them problematic also emblematic of ignorant fools. And more importantly, I don't need you or anyone like you to support my "freedom" as I will do what I darn well please whether anyone likes it or not. And please know and internalize I and other women don't need your or anyone else's approval to do what we think is right for us; actually, we never did. It is society and male privilege that has erroneously taught you to believe that you should have a say in our choices as women. Just no.

Thank you. And peace.

Futuwwa
11-19-2017, 07:28 PM
It's a deal. I will allow you to preach your religion in KSA and Muslim lands*. You will support freedom of hijab in America.

*Others may not agree. By accepting this agreement you agree not to hold the other party liable for any interference from third parties.

Supernova
11-19-2017, 07:43 PM
Unfortunately for you Captain - we don't need your support and never did. Allah SWT is sufficient for us. Our Islam grew in the harshest of environments and times.

Captain Howdy
11-20-2017, 02:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
It's a constitutional
Lol you imply constitution is greater than quran?

Captain Howdy
11-20-2017, 03:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Futuwwa
It's a deal. I will allow you to preach your religion in KSA and Muslim lands*. You will support freedom of hijab in America.

*Others may not agree. By accepting this agreement you agree not to hold the other party liable for any interference from third parties.
You do realize you have signed up for kufr.

format_quote Originally Posted by Supernova
Our Islam grew in the harshest of environments and times.
Because of same secularism which is branded a fitnah in your own deen .

format_quote Originally Posted by Search
Seriously, you and others need to mature beyond egotistical ideas.
>Asks for freedom of religion in KSA
>Gets branded egotistical
Topkek

*charisma*
11-20-2017, 04:52 AM
Lol you imply constitution is greater than quran?
lol wut? do you even know how to argue bro? How can i imply towards anything which was not even mentioned ^o)

In 'murica religious rights are protected under constitutional LAW. HARASSMENT is NOT. YOU support HARASSMENT not freedom. :D OMG wait! are you implying that you also support sexual harassment? Are you a rapist???

Yea..have fun trolling while it lasts :)

Captain Howdy
11-20-2017, 05:03 AM
do you even know how to argue bro?
Dude . Just tell me if Murica were not secular .... its this greatness of that constitution you have been able to follow sunnah and quran uwu

*charisma*
11-20-2017, 10:39 AM
Dude . Just tell me if Murica were not secular .... its this greatness of that constitution you have been able to follow sunnah and quran uwu
As oppose to doing what?

I'm able to follow Quran and Sunnah because Allah gave me the freedom to do so.

What can my enemies do to me?

Tell me where in the world I am NOT able to practice my religion freely despite secularism?

And I'm really confused. Is KSA your dream destination? or do you plan on living there...like why do you even care about Muslim countries?
What is it you want to do there that you can't do?

Futuwwa
11-20-2017, 11:49 AM
You do realize you have signed up for kufr.
No, I haven't, and what's it to you anyway? Deal or no deal? If not, why not? Isn't that exactly what you're asking for?

Captain Howdy
11-20-2017, 12:20 PM
And I'm really confused. Is KSA your dream destination? or do you plan on living there...like why do you even care about Muslim countries?
Because it becomes difficult to practice Non moslem faiths in moslem dominant countries .

Captain Howdy
11-20-2017, 12:21 PM
No, I haven't, and what's it to you anyway? Deal or no deal? If not, why not? Isn't that exactly what you're asking for?
Deal uwu

*charisma*
11-20-2017, 12:48 PM
Because it becomes difficult to practice Non moslem faiths in moslem dominant countries .
In what way?

Captain Howdy
11-20-2017, 01:06 PM
In what way?
15 percent hindus lived in pakistan in 1947. Now its around 1 or 2 percent .
In Islamic theocratic states where the Government has declared the Quran and Sunnah to be the country’s Constitution. Freedom of religion automatically gets severely limited.

*charisma*
11-20-2017, 01:41 PM
15 percent hindus lived in pakistan in 1947. Now its around 1 or 2 percent .
In Islamic theocratic states where the Government has declared the Quran and Sunnah to be the country’s Constitution. Freedom of religion automatically gets severely limited.
But that doesn't answer the question. You're giving me statistics. I need the specific causation. What are examples of exact restrictions?

Freedom of religion doesn't constitute a perfect society. People still get harassed and discriminated against even though the country preaches "freedom."

Captain Howdy
11-20-2017, 02:21 PM
What are examples of exact restrictions?
Non-Muslim worshipers risk arrest, imprisonment, lashing, and sometimes torture for engaging in overt religious activity that attracts official attention. Living as class 3 citizens . The spreading of Muslim teachings not in conformity with the officially accepted interpretation of Islam is prohibited. Writers and other individuals who publicly criticize this interpretation, including both those who advocate a stricter interpretation and those who favor a more moderate interpretation than the government's, have reportedly been imprisoned and faced other reprisals.Proselytizing by non-Muslims, including the distribution of non-Muslim religious materials. Widespread misuse of blasphemy laws.

Freedom of religion doesn't constitute a perfect society. People still get harassed and discriminated against even though the country preaches "freedom."
Are you enjoying hijab ban Europe ? Why do you complain then .

*charisma*
11-20-2017, 03:36 PM
Non-Muslim worshipers risk arrest, imprisonment, lashing, and sometimes torture for engaging in overt religious activity that attracts official attention. Living as class 3 citizens . The spreading of Muslim teachings not in conformity with the officially accepted interpretation of Islam is prohibited. Writers and other individuals who publicly criticize this interpretation, including both those who advocate a stricter interpretation and those who favor a more moderate interpretation than the government's, have reportedly been imprisoned and faced other reprisals.Proselytizing by non-Muslims, including the distribution of non-Muslim religious materials. Widespread misuse of blasphemy laws.
Some of what you're saying is not really worship. It's more like causing a public disturbance in a country that has already strongly established that it's Muslim. To which I ask again, why is it a problem for you if you do not live there or care for it?

Is it not possible to live happily in a Muslim country as a respectful Hindu? You practice your own religion, and they will practice theirs. No one is going to knock on your door and force you to become a Muslim. No one will have any issues or meddle with your private affairs. But if you want to cause a public uproar by breaking laws, then you have to deal with the consequences just like in any other country.

Are you enjoying hijab ban Europe ? Why do you complain then .
As I said, freedom of religion doesn't create a perfect society.
Europe has freedom of religion, but then has issues with the hijaab, so therefore it's hypocritical, no?
Which means that regardless of what "freedoms" are given, people/gov't/society will end up doing what they want based on their own whims in the end.
So what's the point of gratifying a free society if in the end it is not really free? It's just an illusion to control the people.

Captain Howdy
11-20-2017, 04:08 PM
Is it not possible to live happily in a Muslim country as a respectful Hindu? You practice your own religion, and they will practice theirs.
Thats not happening uwu . A Sunni Muslim male in Saudi Arabia receives the full award as required by Sharia, a Jewish or Christian male receives 50 percent of the compensation a Muslim male would receive, and Hindus (and others such as Buddhists, and Sikhs) are only entitled to receive 1/16 the amount a male Sunni Muslim would receive.

As I said, freedom of religion doesn't create a perfect society.
Only if you have a religion that divides humans into the class of believers and disbelievers . Islam and christianity both have been state religions . Islam still is and its in the nature of both to conquer or try conquering each other and others as well .

*charisma*
11-20-2017, 04:25 PM
A Sunni Muslim male in Saudi Arabia receives the full award as required by Sharia, a Jewish or Christian male receives 50 percent of the compensation a Muslim male would receive, and Hindus (and others such as Buddhists, and Sikhs) are only entitled to receive 1/16 the amount a male Sunni Muslim would receive.
In regards to what?
Salary?

Only if you have a religion that divides humans into the class of believers and disbelievers . Islam and christianity both have been state religions . Islam still is and its in the nature of both to conquer or try conquering each other and others as well .
Every religion does that, not Islam. Jews are trying to conquer Muslim lands. Christians are trying to conquer Muslim lands. Really, you can't just single out Muslims in that regard.

Captain Howdy
11-20-2017, 04:41 PM
In regards to what?
Salary?
Diyyah

Every religion does that, not Islam. Jews are trying to conquer Muslim lands. Christians are trying to conquer Muslim lands. Really, you can't just single out Muslims in that regard.
There is no concept of kafir or unbeliever in Vedas. Nor is the command of slavish worship . Yes christians do that too . As for the jews well they are chosen people . Read the protocols of elder zions . I hate jews . They are a race . The Jewish reptilian genes are passed onto Jewish offspring from a Jewish mother. Orthodox Jews only recognize Jews being born of a Jewish mother as legitimate Jews. We have heard of "half Jews" "quarter jews" "part jews" but one does not state "I am a half Catholic" or how about a quarter Lutheran, or maybe part moslem. You can draw picture of jew but not of a catholic or such .

*charisma*
11-20-2017, 05:29 PM
Diyyah
This isn't true. One reason is because you're citing wikipedia. Unless you have some other valid resources which are Islamic, I'd give the benefit of the doubt.

There is no concept of kafir or unbeliever in Vedas. Nor is the command of slavish worship .
That doesn't make sense. I don't believe in what you believe.
And I like slavish worship. It keeps one humble and reflective.

L a n a
11-20-2017, 05:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Singularity
http://www.newsweek.com/teacher-plac...pulling-714356

MUSLIM STUDENTS ARE GETTING THEIR HIJABS PULLED OFF BY TEACHERS IN CLASSROOMS ACROSS THE NATION
BY BEATRICE DUPUY ON 11/16/17 AT 6:02 PM
A Virginia school district has placed a teacher on leave for removing a student’s hijab from her head. The student took to Twitter after the incident Wednesday saying that her hijab was “ripped off her head” by a teacher she appreciated and valued, according to WJLA.

An account that appears to belong to the student said she was talking with her friend when the teacher pulled off her hijab from behind. To her shock, he then said: “Oh, your hair is so pretty,” she said on Twitter.
The Fairfax County Public School district released a statement calling the incident “inappropriate and unacceptable.” “FCPS takes this incident seriously and, while a thorough investigation of the incident is conducted, the teacher has been placed on leave,” the district said.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations confirmed the Twitter statements from the student. “We welcome the decision to place the teacher on leave and to apologize to the student and her family, but further disciplinary action needs to be taken based on the results of the investigation into this disturbing incident," Nihad Awad, CAIR national executive director, said. "No student should be bullied or attacked because of his or her faith. Teachers must protect students, not subject them to harassment or intimidation,”

School districts have reported hijab pulling at schools across the nation from teachers and students in recent months. CAIR also called for the removal of a teacher from a Nashville, Tennessee, charter school last week. A teacher from the school uploaded a video to social media showing a student at the New Vision Academy Charter School having her hijab removed to show students. In the video, the girl is seen trying to cover up her hair as someone tries to pull off her hijab and play with her hair. A Snapchat video of the incident showed students touching the student’s hair with the caption “pretty hair.”

The teacher was later suspended without pay last week.

“New Vision will use this video as an opportunity to press forward with increasing cultural sensitivity and awareness among all members of the New Vision community,” Tim Malone, executive director of the school, said in a statement to WSMV.

In May, a Bronx substitute teacher in New York City ripped off a second-grade student’s hijab because the student was allegedly misbehaving. The teacher was later charged with a hate crime.
This is just awful. Nobody should be assaulted/abused for their CLOTHING of all things. They should just go ahead permanently ban the teacher from teaching.

Captain Howdy
11-20-2017, 06:13 PM
This isn't true. One reason is because you're citing wikipedia. Unless you have some other valid resources which are Islamic, I'd give the benefit of the doubt.
Citation was given from these sources .

http://jeddahpcg.dfa.gov.ph/qisas-an...or-blood-money

And this is just one aspect of super tolerance in KSA . Theres N number of such laws that makes non moslem life miserable in there.
That doesn't make sense. I don't believe in what you believe.
And I like slavish worship. It keeps one humble and reflective.
Yes thats right . Therefore you do realize a huge chunk will never agree to what you believe . Surah al kafiroon is best surah I found tbh .
If you feel it keeps you humble and reflective then I have no issues with that uwu .

Supernova
11-20-2017, 06:43 PM
Because of same secularism which is branded a fitnah in your own deen
Explain

Captain Howdy
11-20-2017, 06:50 PM
Explain
The one who rules according to man-made laws and abolishes the rulings of sharee‘ah is a secularist. The one who ban or objects to the carrying out of hadd punishments such as executing the murderer and stoning or flogging the adulterer and the drinker of alcohol, or cutting off the limbs of the thief or bandit, and claims that carrying out these punishments is inhumane, or that it is cruel and abhorrent, also comes under the heading of secularism.

Theocratic Islamic State != Secularism

*charisma*
11-20-2017, 06:57 PM
Citation was given from these sources .

http://jeddahpcg.dfa.gov.ph/qisas-an...or-blood-money

And this is just one aspect of super tolerance in KSA . Theres N number of such laws that makes non moslem life miserable in there.
I'm sure there are a few laws for some non citizens that are annoying, they may even face discrimination just like in all nations, but for the most part they are there to work and provide for their families. Many of them do live happily there especially when they are able to save up and build their homes and send to their families. You cant really make judgements when youve never lived there ir seen peoples lives there.

As for the citations..ive already looked through them and they still dont prove anything. Laws concerning killings are taken very seriously regardless of the victim.

Yes thats right . Therefore you do realize a huge chunk will never agree to what you believe . Surah al kafiroon is best surah I found tbh .
If you feel it keeps you humble and reflective then I have no issues with that uwu .
Of course. We may always disagree, the difference is.. im not trying to change the laws in your land or asking you to conform to the way i live :D

Supernova
11-20-2017, 07:01 PM
The one who rules according to man-made laws and abolishes the rulings of sharee‘ah is a secularist. The one who ban or objects to the carrying out of hadd punishments such as executing the murderer and stoning or flogging the adulterer and the drinker of alcohol, or cutting off the limbs of the thief or bandit, and claims that carrying out these punishments is inhumane, or that it is cruel and abhorrent, also comes under the heading of secularism.

Theocratic Islamic State != Secularism
Please Explain that

Captain Howdy
11-20-2017, 07:06 PM
As for the citations..ive already looked through them and they still dont prove anything.
Fair enough . You dont agree to citations when its ksa . I had not agree to hr citations when its New Delhi .

Of course. We may always disagree, the difference is.. im not trying to change the laws in your land or asking you to conform to the way i live
Do you plan to give me a minus 666 in Rating ? Just an inquiry .

Captain Howdy
11-20-2017, 07:17 PM
Please Explain that
Secularism according to you isnt a corrupt school of thought and it poses a danger to the islamic commitment of the Muslim??? because the secularist is not looking for truth; rather he is looking for whatever is in harmony with his whims and desires. Hence you will find that the secularist is always looking for specious arguments that he can stir up, but at the same time he blocks his ears and averts his eyes from the so called Islamic evidence and the texts of the revelation.

Do you support secularism as long as it allows preaching of deen ?

Search
11-20-2017, 10:35 PM
:bism: (In the Name of God, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful)

>Asks for freedom of religion in KSA
>Gets branded egotistical
Topkek
It is completely irrational of you to reach the conclusion you've reached: Are you a troll? Because if not, there is serious deficiency in your understanding given that anyone with even an average reading comprehension can grasp that what I'm saying is that you're supporting what you yourself consider a wrong position when or if practiced by others but advocate for the reverse as a way to oppress others' freedom with whom you clearly do not share a faith and obviously seem to carry some antipathy. Also, I am not going to even pretend to a politeness I don't feel here in regards to your remarks - personally, I think you're an egotistical jerk (surprise, no surprise) and one at that who believe your posts stands as some type of "gotcha" and that your ignorance is to be rewarded.

Tell you what: How about in U.S., since this was not ever founded as a polytheist land, I and others of Abrahamic faith advocate for any Hindu women who wear bindis, vermilion, black necklaces called mangalsutra, saris, or other traditional Indian wear, etc. here in the West to allow us to preach them the virtues of Abrahamic faith in your temples freely and only then will we ever allow "your" women here to wear their traditional decorative items? Does that sound like you the voice of a reasonable person or an ass? You decide and let me know. Then, rest assured I think of you as the latter.

Peace.

Silas
11-21-2017, 02:05 AM
I think we need to slow down here ...

While there might have been an isolated incident in which a teacher pulled a hijab off the head of a Muslim girl, I haven't seen any reports of such behavior being widespread, and it is certainly not happening all over the country. The media would jump all over this story and there would be a general outrage.

Captain Howdy
11-21-2017, 03:17 AM
I think you're an egotistical jerk (surprise, no surprise) and one at that who believe your posts stands as some type of "gotcha" and that your ignorance is to be rewarded.
Nope you are ignoramus. Dont you know there are minor incidents of so called discrimination in non moslems land for majority of liberals , communists and leftists to support your freedom. But that is not the case in Islamic theocratic states . If you complain about rights in non believers land , then you shiould also introspect and raise voice , do something equally constructive in Islamic theocratic states too . THis is called pseudo secularism , the one which you are adept at .

How about in U.S., since this was not ever founded as a polytheist land. and others of Abrahamic faith advocate for any Hindu women who wear bindis, vermilion, black necklaces called mangalsutra, saris, or other traditional Indian wear, etc. here in the West to allow us to preach them the virtues of Abrahamic faith in your temples freely and only then will we ever allow "your" women here to wear their traditional decorative items?
Christopher Columbus for your gk , discovered that land . He was not moslem . Secondly , The Real American Revolution lets see what founding fathers have to say about abrahamic faiths
Lighthouses are more helpful than churches."
-Benajmin Franklin

"In the affairs of the world, men are saved, not by faith, but by the lack of it." -Benjamin
Franklin

"Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been
burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced an inch towards uniformity. What
has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites.
To support roguery and error all over the earth." - Thomas Jefferson
The largest group consisted of founders who retained Christian loyalties and practice but were influenced by Deism to great deal of extent . I have obnly give a breif insight .
Declaration of Independence (1776)
The most important assertion in this document is that “to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.”
Note that the power of government is derived not from any god but from the people. No appeal is made in this document to a god for authority of any kind. In no case are any powers given to religion in the affairs of man. The native americans were not abrhamic as well .

I can give lectures of multiple pages debunking Abrahamic myth of Murica . Did you bunk your history classes ?

its good you are willing to support hindu women . I give you your due credit . But you do realize mangalsutra , bindi support by you is shirk . Allah wont be happy about that .

AabiruSabeel
11-21-2017, 04:09 AM
Dont you know there are minor incidents of so called discrimination in non moslems land for majority of liberals , communists and leftists to support your freedom. But that is not the case in Islamic theocratic states . If you complain about rights in non believers land , then you shiould also introspect and raise voice , do something equally constructive in Islamic theocratic states too .
Stop trolling. Nobody is complaining of the lack of rights in non-Muslim lands. They are speaking of harassment. Now you won't find non-Muslims being harassed in Muslim countries (or Islamic theocratic states as you put it) just because they are non-Muslims.

I can give lectures of multiple pages debunking Abrahamic myth of Murica .
You don't have comprehension issues, do you? Where did she say that America was founded on Abrahamic faith. Instead of actually understanding the points raised, you have taken them out of context.

We do not like trolls here. You have been warned.

Futuwwa
11-21-2017, 11:13 PM
If you complain about rights in non believers land , then you shiould also introspect and raise voice , do something equally constructive in Islamic theocratic states too .
This is called whataboutism. Homework assignment: Figure out why it's a non-argument.

its good you are willing to support hindu women . I give you your due credit . But you do realize mangalsutra , bindi support by you is shirk . Allah wont be happy about that .
Shirk. Kufr. Those seem to be your canned responses whenever someone doesn't fit your particular preconceived idea of what a Muslim is or thinks. Sorry for not being the kind of Muslim your talking points would actually hit home on.

Captain Howdy
11-22-2017, 03:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AabiruSabeel
out of context.
I am going thru those links the one that you dropped . I will reply accordingly uwu

whenever someone doesn't fit your particular.
You do understand we are not moslems . Our approach will be not that of one who agrees to surah baqrah verse 3 . Now please excuse me thanks .

Futuwwa
11-22-2017, 12:48 PM
You do understand we are not moslems . Our approach will be not that of one who agrees to surah baqrah verse 3 . Now please excuse me thanks .
Looks like replying with some random off-topic non sequitur is your standard response when your talking points fail to hit home. By all means, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Singularity
11-24-2017, 07:58 PM
Excerpt:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/11/2...d-by-students/

San Jose: Muslim teacher wearing head scarf repeatedly bullied by students

Maimona Afzal Berta teaches a class of 8th graders at Fischer Middle School in San Jose, California, on Monday, Nov. 20, 2017. Vandals have tagged her room with hateful anti-Muslim graffiti 15 times this year. Berta and the Alum Rock Educators Association have filed a formal complaint against the school district. (Gary Reyes/ Bay Area News Group)
By SHARON NOGUCHI | snoguchi@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: November 24, 2017 at 7:00 am | UPDATED: November 24, 2017 at 9:44 am
SAN JOSE — Eagerly anticipating her English students delving into “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone,” Maimona Afzal Berta arrived early to school Sept. 11. Her classroom walls at Fischer Middle School depicted a London skyline; soon the room would also include the famous Platform 9¾, a Hogwarts sorting hat and hanging replicas of floating lanterns.

But on walking up she was stunned by a hateful reality. Anti-Muslim slurs and obscenities were scrawled on her classroom’s windows and door. Spray-painted graffiti also defaced other rooms and rooftop air-conditioning units at the San Jose campus.

“It was devastating,” the special-education teacher said. “I felt completely targeted, and not even safe in a place I consider home.”

The attacks came after multiple instances of harassment during spring semester, aimed at her, a classroom aide and an after-school supervisor, all women who wear a hijab, the Muslim head scarf. By Berta’s count, there have been 15 incidents from January to November. The other two women could not be reached for comment.

The district reported the graffiti and another later harassment incident to police. Some students have been disciplined, but no suspects have been arrested for the graffiti. Fischer does not have surveillance cameras.

“At the Alum Rock Union School District, we will never tolerate any behavior that makes either our students or team members feel marginalized,” Superintendent Hilaria Bauer wrote Monday in a statement. She and other officials have expressed sympathy for Berta and outrage at the harassment.

The unceasing bullying reflects the challenge facing campuses, even those run by well-meaning adults. Fischer’s walls feature images and quotes of a panoply of civil-rights leaders, from Filipino founders of the United Farm Workers Union, to Pakistani girls’ advocate Malala Yousafzai to author and activist Maya Angelou. Administrators have spent hours investigating, counseling and discussing standards of behavior.

Yet Berta, who grew up in East San Jose, now feels so insecure that she her husband, also a Fischer teacher, must escort her to class every morning.

Throughout the country, harassment of Muslims, South Asians and Middle Easterners reportedly has been on the rise since the nation’s presidential campaign. Educators and civil rights-advocates say young people take their cue from a president who has been quick to deride critics, ridicule opponents and blame Muslims and immigrants.

Berta, 23, has taught for five years — she graduated from college at age 18 — but the harassment didn’t start until January. The White House example “creates a lot of chaos that is unnecessary,” said Fischer Principal Imee Almazan, “when you have a leader of country who is saying what he is saying.”

Students have kicked Berta’s classroom door and yelled “shoot her,” labeled her a terrorist, accused her of working with ISIS and shouted to others that she was going to “kill us all.” Almazan said that two other victims, who no longer work at Fischer, confirmed they also had been bullied but had not reported it at the time.

In response, Fischer has held assemblies on bullying, workshops on stereotypes and misconceptions about Muslims, and exercises in character-building. The school plans to train teachers next week in an interactive curriculum offered by the Islamic Network Group.

But the school also has lagged in responding to incidents.

Berta was incensed that after an Oct. 2 incident — when she heard banging on her door and windows and someone yelled “shoot her” — one student was given lunch detention, then 10 days later another was suspended for two days. The incident was reported to police and the vice principal spent more than a day investigating, Almazan said.

“Students will get lunch detention for wearing colored shirts or not wearing their lanyard,” Berta said. “To put saying ‘shoot her’ in the same category as a dress code violation didn’t make any sense to me.”

Captain Howdy
11-25-2017, 01:25 PM
Looks like replying with some random off-topic non sequitur is your standard response when your talking points fail to hit home
Lolll how is that off topic kek

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.