/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is there feminism in Islam

Tuba13
11-23-2017, 09:42 AM
Assalamualaikum...I wanted to know if men and women are actually equal according to Islam...I want to be an social worker and my family asks me not to dream so big as the environment for a social worker is mixed...they say men and women can't work together...but the world keeps talking about feminism...this thing is actually making me mad...I am 14 but yet need to know what I want to do...I'm completely confused...and my question is if men and women can't work together how did khadija (rali) become a business women...she herself worked with men and she actually leaded all the men then why are my dreams known as too big?[emoji53] [emoji53]

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*charisma*
11-24-2017, 08:36 PM
Walaikum asalaam,

Its more preferable for a woman to work in a female environment. If you have a profession which is difficult to do so then you have to uphold your islamic values and stay professional.

sister herb
11-24-2017, 10:35 PM
If woman works in the same job with men, I don´t think it´s a matter of feminism.

Supernova
11-25-2017, 12:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tuba13
Assalamualaikum...I wanted to know if men and women are actually equal according to Islam...I want to be an social worker and my family asks me not to dream so big as the environment for a social worker is mixed...they say men and women can't work together...but the world keeps talking about feminism...this thing is actually making me mad...I am 14 but yet need to know what I want to do...I'm completely confused...and my question is if men and women can't work together how did khadija (rali) become a business women...she herself worked with men and she actually leaded all the men then why are my dreams known as too big?[emoji53] [emoji53]
Asalaamualaykum Tuba

I am in Support of you Career Choice however certain concepts of yours are misplaced.

Your question in reality has nothing to do with “feminism”. Feminism or Womans Lib is a party that started in western countries because the very basic right of woman was taken away within their own cultural strata. As a Muslim, your understanding would follow Shariah.

The second misconception is relating to Hz. Khadija RA. Hz. Khadija RA business was already established long before she married Rasool [SAW]. It was only 15 years later after her marriage that the formal Nabuwath of Rasool [SAW] started at the age of 40. It was only thereafter that the laws of hijab came in. I’m sure you will understand more as you read more about Shariah Law.

Thirdly – despite your parents’ reasons here, obedience to your parents is a Wajib. The Quran is very firm on this with numerous supporting Hadith.

The reason I am not going to get into detail explaining my support for your stance (provided Shariah conditions are met) is based on the fact that you are 14 and still have enough time to experience Islam within Society. Should I give you my reasons it might inadvertently lead to more misconceptions on your behalf.

This is not a Career Counselling forum whereby one can council you without recognition of the fact that you are Muslim.

Without sounding condescending or any disrespect inferred – You should be pick up this dilemma at a later age when your Islamic knowledge is more sound and experience in the world is more matured.

Don’t lose the dream – just add a few more dreams for now and return to your original dream later.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tuba13
11-25-2017, 03:05 AM
I actually asked about feminism as a teacher was counselling us on these matters at schooti and she pulled out feminism into the topic...I was completely confused so thought I should ask here...it's just that I have to choose my field for my final exams so wanted to decide...and I will not dare loose my Islamic values to fulfil my dream as it is going to be no help in the grave or the on the day of qiyamah������If it is not permissable it OK and if it is it's lucky...jazzakAllah all of you lovely people for clearing my confused mind������������������������������

greenhill
11-25-2017, 03:18 AM
I don't know.. the more I think about it, the more confusing it can become. I can only put it down to people being more and more educated and as a result becoming more and more academic with the concept of being able to question things.

Although that is not so bad (or even encouraged in islam), the problem lies (I believe) with the intention(s), like finding a reason not to engage.

For example, here in Malaysia, quite often the use of 'in syaa Allah' is often used as an excuse not to commit. Rather than saying "No" they's rather say 'in syaa Allah' when they have no intention of doing whatever it was.. This is not a good example but twisting many simple stuff can lead to an entirely different perspective to things.

Seeing as we are talking about feminism, it does not exist in islam like the way it is understood in the West as it is primarily focused on trying to carve out their world in this from the inequalities perceived. Whereas in islam, men and women have their roles in society and society have their roles too! And the main theme is about caring for each other. It can only be fully 'enshrined' into our being if we can believe truly that everything we have is 'a loan' to us from the AlMighty and He has instructed us to share it.

So, if we can all work ourselves towards it, then I feel we, as individuals, regardless of our actual predicament, whether a man or woman, rich or poor, strong or weak, brilliant or not, will concentrate on what it was that Allah has 'loaned' to him/her to share out and contribute back to society rather than to seek why others are 'better' off or where we can also enjoy the benefits given to others, then the perceived inequalities will never surface as we as a society ourselves work towards redressing it.

But, what happens is the wealth is concentrated in the hands of very few, (the most glaring spread of inequality) and we fall for the decoy they create by sending us on a wild goose chase like feminism and distract us by looking at other non issues, really...

:peace:

sister herb
11-25-2017, 09:13 AM
Your idea to go to study as the social worker might be good idea as well as when you graduate, you can work in many different jobs and not all of them have to be in mixed ones (with opposite gender). I know one woman who studied same and works now with women only (shelter for women). Also, some may work with children.

Zzz_
11-26-2017, 05:40 AM
:salaam:

Feminism is not in align with Islam, especially today's feminism which is nothing short of misandry culture. Feminism try to preach or used to preach about equality where as Islam teaches about equity. You can read more about Islam and feminism here: http://www.islam101.com/women/jameelah.htm

As for a social work career, there are muslim women who are in that field while still trying to adhere to islamic principles. But it is a field that requires you to go to people's houses for inspection and requires lot of interaction with opposite gender (law enforcement, lawyers, judges, doctors, parents, etc.). Given today's islamophobic atmosphere and rampant attacks on Muslims, especially the women, it's not exactly a safe field to go into.

You are still young, i would suggest exploring other fields that would also match your interests of helping people and do more research into it before making a decision.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.