/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Asking someone "if they prayed"..etc is rude in some cases

crimsontide06
12-03-2017, 07:38 PM
Sometimes I have messages from far off family members or non family, asking if I "prayed today"..etc..

That is very rude, in my opinion. Does anyone else agree?

If someone is not your child, husband, wife...then you do not get to drill them about their religious duties..etc.

Even then.. someones consistency of doing religious duties is between them and God. Encouragement is good, but not drilling someone with questions or rules, especially if they are not your kid.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abu-Abdullah
12-03-2017, 07:42 PM
Lol I understand it can be patronising but in some Muslim cultures an elderly extended relative can act like a big brother or even 'daddy' sometimes ☺☺

AbdurRahman.
12-03-2017, 08:33 PM
Minding or getting the hump over such 'grilling goes against the Islamic spirit, as they're only looking out for us ... a Muslim should be humble and this is very important... pride and ego are the biggest pitfalls of a Muslim so we shouldn't mind taking a bit of advice/exhortation/admonishing to pray.

All Muslims are one large family and any Muslim can act like a brother, sister, uncle, aunt etc to us

crimsontide06
12-03-2017, 09:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu-Abdullah
Lol I understand it can be patronising but in some Muslim cultures an elderly extended relative can act like a big brother or even 'daddy' sometimes ☺☺
specifically this has been my younger cousin who asks the same question like once or twice a year over facebook..we never speak any other time. I have never even been outside of the U.S so it's not about culture.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AabiruSabeel
12-03-2017, 10:01 PM
Does he live in the US as well?

Just tell him that you pray regularly everyday Alhamdulillah and then turn it the other way round and ask him to be regular in his prayers as well. :ia: he will get the message.

talibilm
12-03-2017, 10:23 PM
:sl:

Its just an act of enjoining good and forbidding evil . Even you can do the same with him so that to see what he replies, brother.

I display that i have prayed my fard salah just as a reminder to others who do not pray and such display is allowed , encouraged in fard actions so that it inspires others PROVIDED your Iklass is in tact.

crimsontide06
12-04-2017, 03:57 AM
I never tell anyone if I prayed or not, for fear that inside my heart is a feeling of "pride" or "attention seeking" but yeah, this person lives in the Palestinian area. They do not live in the U.S

Muslim Woman
12-04-2017, 04:30 AM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by crimsontide06
Sometimes I have messages from far off family members or non family, asking if I "prayed today"..etc..

That is very rude, in my opinion. Does anyone else agree?

If someone is not your child, husband, wife...then you do not get to drill them about their religious duties..etc.

Even then.. someones consistency of doing religious duties is between them and God. Encouragement is good, but not drilling someone with questions or rules, especially if they are not your kid.
I am happy to know that still there are people who want to remind others about prayers . May Allah bless them .

Ummshareef
12-08-2017, 05:12 PM
There is no harm in reminding people of their religious duties, provided that it is done in an appropriate and tactful way, which would vary for different people in different circumstances. For example, i can be quite direct with my kids about their salah, and will sometimes remind them of the obligation to pray and the consequences of not praying (Jahannam). But with an adult it would be much more subtle - maybe by talking about the wonderful warmth that salah brings to the heart or the lovely feeling of being close to Allah during Tahajjud.

crimsontide06
12-08-2017, 07:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummshareef
There is no harm in reminding people of their religious duties, provided that it is done in an appropriate and tactful way, which would vary for different people in different circumstances. For example, i can be quite direct with my kids about their salah, and will sometimes remind them of the obligation to pray and the consequences of not praying (Jahannam). But with an adult it would be much more subtle - maybe by talking about the wonderful warmth that salah brings to the heart or the lovely feeling of being close to Allah during Tahajjud.
Yeah, I suppose it depends on the situation. In this situation I know the person enough that I know they are trying to be snobbish or try to find fault in something with me.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.