/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why do Muslims get picked on at Christmas?

Singularity
12-24-2017, 02:11 AM
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/why-do-musl...istmas-1652514

Why do Muslims get picked on at Christmas?
Why Muslim puritans and white xenophobes go crackers at Christmas
Yasmin Alibhai-Brown By Yasmin Alibhai-Brown
Updated December 22, 2017 12:26 GMT
Every year, in the lead up to Christmas, tabloids run turkey (that is, dumb and stupid) stories about Muslims objecting to the festival, cards, crackers, music, trees, pressies, paper hats, church services, mince pies, street decorations, and ho-ho-hoing Santas.
Such culture alarms are now an annual ritual, an essential part of the season. They reassure those lost souls who want all their Christmases to be white.

Many of the reports are cooked up, some rely on unverified gossip usually put about by disgruntled council workers or jingoists, and a few are truthful accounts of Muslim grouches who are forever trying to stop the rest of us having a good time.

Mercifully, this year we'd had fewer Muslim panic stories than ever before. And some killjoys came along and spoilt it all.

Boxer Amir Khan tweeted a picture of a Christmas tree he had put up for his three year old daughter. Islamic ultra- conservatives got fired up.

Here are some choice (edited) tweets: "Allah will surely punish those who imitate the kuffar by celebrating and joining their pagan festivals"; "He is not a true Muslim"; "You must be dead and your family will be death[sic]".

Muslims also came to his defence, but were no match for the practised decriers. Tabloids got their outrage.

Phew. It now feels like a proper Christmas. Now I can go decorate my tree and cake. That will get both Muslim puritans and white xenophobes going.

We Muslims can't win. If we join in, we are interlopers, gate crashers or faith traitors. If we don't, we imperil the nation, insult its God and identity. The crusade is still with us and playing out under twinkling fairy lights.

Christmas lights Britain
London's largest Christmas tree is illuminated at Covent Garden Tristan Fewings/Getty Images
The celeb cook Nadiya Hussain is a practising British Muslim with the most open of hearts and minds. She charmed millions when she won Bake Off in 2015. She also made some implacable enemies.

A few weeks back, she shared some of her recipes and ideas for a fun Christmas. White trolls were apoplectic and let rip. How dare a brown skinned woman, in her horrible headscarf, invade our festival? Give 'these people' an inch and they steal your jobs, prizes, houses, benefits, lovers and now our precious Christian traditions and heritage.

Such nastiness is not restricted to the internet. A young Muslim friend was so very delighted when her little girl was chosen to play Mary in the nativity play in a Church of England school. Great news, real change, I thought. My children only ever got to be goats and sheep.

But no. Things soured fast. A group of parents complained that the little girl was too dark to be Mary. Jesus and his parents were Middle Eastern people - BROWN WITH DARK HAIR. The school, to its credit, did not give into the ignorant fools. But the episode was distasteful and disgraceful.

I wish more native Brits knew liberal, integrated, thoroughly British and principled Muslims. With terrorism and radicalisation grabbling attention and resources, those who are happy and well adjusted go unseen and unheard.

When the Grenfell disaster happened the local mosque Al-Manaar opened its doors, offered shelter and food, and offered solace. Our mosque in Kensington sent out a battalion of young volunteers to help.

Christmas is bringing out more of this generosity and spirit. Across the country, mosques have decided to offer places at night for the homeless and are also feeding thousands of people. Others are sending out winter warmer packs, walking round the cold streets and handing over food or just talking to the most wretched in our nation.

Check out #AVeryMerryMuslimChristmas and you will see more of this warmth and engagement.

These are reasons to be optimistic. Only most Brits have no idea of what is going on. Sometimes I wonder if is willed blindness or worse, a stubborn refusal to disrupt the good/evil frame.

We Muslims are joining in the merriment too. My mother loved Christmas and even sipped a sherry or two. ("Not hurting anyone. God will forgive me"). She made many of the costumes for the nativity play. Muslim families will cook turkeys on Christmas day, fry up sprouts, make roast potatoes, all spiced up of course. There will be fights and embraces, mad relatives and sweaty cooks.

This week I went to St Bride's Church where they had a Christmas service/celebration for the Journalist's charity. I sang the carols and was moved, as always. A chap opposite was watching me. He looked baffled. At the end he came up to me and gruffly asked how I knew the words, as if I had stolen them. I thought the question rude so blanked him.

To people like him and Muslim fundamentalists I say: Christ for us Muslims is a messiah sent by God. Why would we not remember and celebrate his story?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
noraina
12-24-2017, 11:44 AM
Interesting...

Most Eastern churches celebrate Christmas on January 7.

And it's arguable whether Christmas today really is dedicated to remembering the life of Jesus (as), or is it in name only. I wonder if Jesus (as) could see the way his supposed birthday is celebrated, would he be proud and happy, or would he be disappointed that his message was lost in all of this consumerism and materialism, that has come to define this holiday?

I fail to see how not celebrating Christmas makes one a Muslim fundamentalist. Honestly.

sister herb
12-24-2017, 12:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina

And it's arguable whether Christmas today really is dedicated to remembering the life of Jesus (as), or is it in name only. I wonder if Jesus (as) could see the way his supposed birthday is celebrated, would he be proud and happy, or would he be disappointed that his message was lost in all of this consumerism and materialism, that has come to define this holiday?
Maybe he would feel the same as it is mentioned in the Bible at John 2:13. It came to my mind at one day I visited in market buying some groceries and saw all those people whose bought and bought and bought...

muslimah_B
12-24-2017, 01:50 PM
I would think muslims get picked on all year round not just at christmas, but ofcourse the media will make it more of a thing its Christmas & look what these muslims are up to against our precious white washing scheme {LOL}

We are living in islamaphobic times i don't expect any less to be frank no matter where in the world we will always be talk of the town but we can see the blessings in it that more and more people are coming to islam so all the exposure theyre giving us its actually for our benefit not theirs LOL, but no matter what we do we are either criticized & tarnished by people, then ofcourse we have very very idiotic apparent "muslims" who give into what these stupid people say about us BUT to our very own brothers and sisters, instead of just politely reminding them, "we are muslims we are not allowed to participate in these things as it could be seen as kufr, providing evidences case closed, if people chose to not listen to the advice that is between them & Allah you tried & done your part in sha Allah, why go crazy and tell them to die or call them a kaffir, its very unislamic and totally misses the point of you trying to give advice in the 1st place lol

What i would like to point out is that no matter the time we should always try to give charity not just on "special" occasions but the fact is that whenever people are in need you will always see brothers and sisters helping out as that is what our deen teaches us to do be mercifull, helpfull and kind to every living being, but even when we help out theres going to be people to again tarnish our image, our deen even question why are we helping, then when the media spotlight goes "oh those muslims don't help out people who arent them" Lol we wont win why should we care what they think of us, we should care moreso of what Allah thinks of us, are we doing enough to please Allah, to repent to Allah, to make things right to Allah, forget what crazy Paul or Jayda says

With that being said MOST people know that "christmas" IS a pagan festival, with most practising christians not participating in the traditions or festivities but just using it as time off work to spend with families and eat delicious turkey meat.
Simplified as muslims we arent even allowed to celebrate the birthday of Prophet Mohammed s.a.w so why would we even be able to celebrate Isa a.s birthday if this was actually the day and not a pagan thing lol

Im sorry but i will never understand these silly things muslims do then the other side with muslims going absolutely 100% crazy when you have a Quran, Hadeeth & scholars to give evidence from to backup your points
Its honestly beyond me some people are just bonkers and need to get over themselves while others need to learn their deen.

We should all atleast take from this that we are all on different levels of knowledge & emaan, & we should strive to help & encourage eachother to keep aiming higher for jannahtul firidous, not kick someone down if they make a mistake or commit a sin, we all sin differently & make mistakes NONE of us are perfect, what you may find easy could be that persons biggest test, vice versa...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.