/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are there two diffrent types of Sufi? One acceptable and the other upon falsity?

Nikki1234
01-20-2018, 12:31 AM
Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

Soooo I am new to Islam (It'll be a year this coming February since I took my shahada). I do not know very much about Islam. Are there two different types of Sufi? One of the sisters I talk to follows the Sunnah but, does not claim sufi. however, she says "True Sufi's follow the sunnah and are pious people." She also says that "there are some people who claim to be Sufi but, they have the incorrect belief and do not follow the sunnah and are not really truely Sufi and they give true Sufi's a bad reputation."

Barakallahou feekum. Shukran.

-Nikki

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
azc
01-20-2018, 01:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nikki1234
Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,Soooo I am new to Islam (It'll be a year this coming February since I took my shahada). I do not know very much about Islam. Are there two different types of Sufi? One of the sisters I talk to follows the Sunnah but, does not claim sufi. however, she says "True Sufi's follow the sunnah and are pious people." She also says that "there are some people who claim to be Sufi but, they have the incorrect belief and do not follow the sunnah and are not really truely Sufi and they give true Sufi's a bad reputation." Barakallahou feekum. Shukran.-Nikki
yes, she is right. Similarity, same is applied to salafiya which is also divided in sub sects.

Misbah-Abd
01-20-2018, 03:24 AM
Dear sister, what I would advise is to not focus so much on this Sufism and sects and focus on learning the details of what you need to perform the obligatory actions to fulfill your Islam. You also made a OP about the role of women in Islam and how you are concerned about that. Like you, I am also a revert. When you enter Islam, you have to forsake these ideas of what you think is appropriate according to what you have been taught all your life from the false ideologies of the disbelievers. We are Muslims, and as such we hear and obey since the religion has been perfected for us as Allah Azza wa Jal says: "This day I have perfected your religion for you and completed My favor upon you and am pleased with Islam as your way of life." (5:3)

Sheikh Ibn Taymiyyah said:

"Whatmust be done is to enjoin ordinary people to believe in general terms in thatwhich is proven by the texts and scholarly consensus, and tell them not toindulge in detailed discussions that will create division and differencesbetween them, because division and differences are among the things that aremost emphatically forbidden by Allah and His Messenger." from Majmoo‘ al-Fataawa (12/237)
"
Theneed of nations to know what is enjoined and what is forbidden is greater thantheir need to know the details of issues of belief concerning which belief ingeneral terms is sufficient. As for commands and prohibitions, it is essentialto know them in detail, because acting upon commands cannot be achieved unlessone knows them in detail; and with regard to prohibited matters that must beavoided, it is essential to be able to distinguish between them and otherthings." from al-Jawaab as-Saheeh (3/34)

Mustafa16
01-20-2018, 03:45 AM
Sister, I would advise you as a brother in Islam who has been Muslim for much longer than you have and who has also struggled with the differences of sects, since you are someone who has newly entered Islam, first learn the basics, and then progress, and then much later down the road you can think about this, but definitely not now. First learn how to be a proper Muslim, because that will get you into jannah, all talk about sects is trivial and nuance at this point.....and wont get you into jannah on its own..............while being a proper Muslim will. You can be a proper Muslim without a sect, and only when you have reached a higher station can you focus on sects. In other words, you can't jump from 1 to 100 right away. In fact, some might say living without a sect is better, but if you feel the need, wait until you are more knowledgeable.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
azc
01-20-2018, 05:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Misbah-Abd
Dear sister, what I would advise is to not focus so much on this Sufism and sects and focus on learning the details of what you need to perform the obligatory actions to fulfill your Islam. You also made a OP about the role of women in Islam and how you are concerned about that. Like you, I am also a revert. When you enter Islam, you have to forsake these ideas of what you think is appropriate according to what you have been taught all your life from the false ideologies of the disbelievers. We are Muslims, and as such we hear and obey since the religion has been perfected for us as Allah Azza wa Jal says: "This day I have perfected your religion for you and completed My favor upon you and am pleased with Islam as your way of life." (5:3) Sheikh Ibn Taymiyyah said:"Whatmust be done is to enjoin ordinary people to believe in general terms in thatwhich is proven by the texts and scholarly consensus, and tell them not toindulge in detailed discussions that will create division and differencesbetween them, because division and differences are among the things that aremost emphatically forbidden by Allah and His Messenger." from Majmoo‘ al-Fataawa (12/237) "Theneed of nations to know what is enjoined and what is forbidden is greater thantheir need to know the details of issues of belief concerning which belief ingeneral terms is sufficient. As for commands and prohibitions, it is essentialto know them in detail, because acting upon commands cannot be achieved unlessone knows them in detail; and with regard to prohibited matters that must beavoided, it is essential to be able to distinguish between them and otherthings." from al-Jawaab as-Saheeh (3/34)
https://www.deoband.org/2010/11/tasa...-introduction/

Zzz_
01-20-2018, 08:45 PM
Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

Soooo I am new to Islam (It'll be a year this coming February since I took my shahada). I do not know very much about Islam. Are there two different types of Sufi? One of the sisters I talk to follows the Sunnah but, does not claim sufi. however, she says "True Sufi's follow the sunnah and are pious people." She also says that "there are some people who claim to be Sufi but, they have the incorrect belief and do not follow the sunnah and are not really truely Sufi and they give true Sufi's a bad reputation."

Barakallahou feekum. Shukran.

-Nikki
:wasalam:

As i said in your other thread, it's not a straight black/white line in this. A person can say belong to a certain group but how much of that group they are is based on how much they ascribe to its teachings and implementation. For example, A person born in a shia family and raised in a shia family will call himself a shia. But if his family never taught him shia ideology and only the basics of Islam, such as belief in one God, angels, life after death, etc. and he listens to all speakers (including non-shia) and doesn't believe in the stuff the shias believe that would put one outside of Islam, then even though he calls himself shia (through birth and association) but is he really a shia? maybe, but not to that level as those other shias. And the same can be said about sufi and sunni.

I don't know what she considers true sufism and what not. Unless she went to an islamic institution to properly learn about all this from the prospective of the quran and sunnah, she is saying it based on what she learned growing up and nothing more. Take what she said and leave it there as something she believes. You don't have to accept it as right or deny it as wrong, just as something your friend believes and nothing more. As for yourself, study Islam based on the teachings according the Quran and Sunnah and as you start to acquire more and more knowledge, all this will start to become more clear to you.

You're doing great nikki, keep asking questions :)

Nikki1234
01-21-2018, 02:57 AM
Thank you everyone for responding and taking the time to help me with all of my questions and confusion. Shukran

azc
01-21-2018, 01:25 PM
Thank you everyone for responding and taking the time to help me with all of my questions and confusion. Shukran
“In short, Tasawwuf (Sufism) comes down to this, overcoming the laziness in doing virtuous acts (ta’aat) and getting them done, and overcoming the desire to commit sinful acts (gunah) and abstaining from that sin. Whoever attains this condition does not need anything more since this is the very condition that creates a bond with Allah (SWT) (Talluq Ma’Allah), protects this bond and strengthens it” (Hakeem ul Ummah Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanvi R.A)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.