/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What should I learn about Islam?

Adam_
01-24-2018, 06:42 PM
Salaam,
I'm not a new Muslim, I would say I'm a very religious and I try to adhere to the laws of Islam. I've listened to many lectures and have a good understanding of concepts of Islam but I have never read the entire Qur'an (I am reading now Inshallah I will finish this time) and it can seem baffling at times and out of context. I think I am missing the basics of Islam all my friends know like the Arabic words for stuff, some Dua, more than 10 or so prayers.

I want to learn this kind of stuff where do I start anyone got any good books or sources to point me in the right direction? I've read about Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)'s life and lots of general things like that but then people always use Arabic words or terms, or long names of companions of the Prophets (pbut) and then I just have to spend long amounts of time translating the Arabic by googling it or just noding my head because I get the general idea. E.g scholars talking about 'zina' which I just interpret as sin.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
99sobi
01-24-2018, 08:55 PM
Yes, you should learn the basic du'as (supplications) for prayer and other actions of worship. You don't need to know every single surah of the Quran, at least the first ten (starting from An-Nas). You should seek to find out if your local mosque has classes or lessons for new converts to support you during this time. The best way to learn about Islam is by looking at the authentic Sunnah and the Quran because currently there are many divisions in the Muslim ummah and people have different views and it's causing further division, so you should take some time to study the sunnah and Quran yourself and in sha Allah and you will not go astray. May Allah increase you in knowledge about Islam and keep you to the straight path. ameen

Adam_
01-24-2018, 09:06 PM
Ameen. Thanks, also the way to pray I learnt was from my father but at the mosque and with friends everyone prays slightly differently physically. I would presume that what people are saying (Other than the Surah and Shahada) such as when I come up from bent over do I say 'sula-layham-waalayhumsulum.' Do I then say something like 'rabianhamd.' Where do I learn the correct and specific way to pray and why has it altered so much? Surely any addition to Islam is haram?

99sobi
01-25-2018, 05:33 PM
After bowing down, (ruku), you say: “Sami’a Allaahu liman hamidah (Allaah listens to the one who praises Him).” This is obligatory.

Whilst standing after ruku, he should say, “Rabbanaa wa laka al-hamd (our Lord, to You be all praise).” (There are other kinds of dhikr which may be said at this point.). This is obligatory for every person who is praying, even if he is following an imaam, because this is the dhikr of standing after rukoo’, and saying “Sami’a Allaahu liman hamidah” is the dhikr of straightening up from rukoo’. It is not prescribed to put the hands one over the other during this standing, because this was not narrated (from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)).

There are differences in opinion because of the various interpretations of the Qur'an and Sunnah. My advice would be not to worry too much about these various sects and stick to the sunnah. Perhaps the Prophet did a certain action in different ways - one way isn't worse than the other and you're following the sunnah either way.

See https://islamqa.info/en/13340 for a description of the Prophet's prayer.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
azc
01-25-2018, 05:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Adam_
Salaam,I'm not a new Muslim, I would say I'm a very religious and I try to adhere to the laws of Islam. I've listened to many lectures and have a good understanding of concepts of Islam but I have never read the entire Qur'an (I am reading now Inshallah I will finish this time) and it can seem baffling at times and out of context. I think I am missing the basics of Islam all my friends know like the Arabic words for stuff, some Dua, more than 10 or so prayers.I want to learn this kind of stuff where do I start anyone got any good books or sources to point me in the right direction? I've read about Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)'s life and lots of general things like that but then people always use Arabic words or terms, or long names of companions of the Prophets (pbut) and then I just have to spend long amounts of time translating the Arabic by googling it or just noding my head because I get the general idea. E.g scholars talking about 'zina' which I just interpret as sin.
http://muslimcanada.org/fiqhch13.htm

your_ukht
01-25-2018, 09:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Adam_
Salaam,
I'm not a new Muslim, I would say I'm a very religious and I try to adhere to the laws of Islam. I've listened to many lectures and have a good understanding of concepts of Islam but I have never read the entire Qur'an (I am reading now Inshallah I will finish this time) and it can seem baffling at times and out of context. I think I am missing the basics of Islam all my friends know like the Arabic words for stuff, some Dua, more than 10 or so prayers.

I want to learn this kind of stuff where do I start anyone got any good books or sources to point me in the right direction? I've read about Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)'s life and lots of general things like that but then people always use Arabic words or terms, or long names of companions of the Prophets (pbut) and then I just have to spend long amounts of time translating the Arabic by googling it or just noding my head because I get the general idea. E.g scholars talking about 'zina' which I just interpret as sin.
Assalamu Alaikum brother

If you wish to read books , I would recommend you to visit this page called kalamuallah.com ( it's a very beneficial page, you can download the books for free ).

To perfect your salah you can download "step by step salah" ( the blue one ).

Also download Muslim Pro. It's an app that has supplications( Arabic, English and it's transliteration), the call to prayer, etc. Every Muslim should have this app.
And the one called "40 rabbanas" which is an app that has those duaas that start with the word ربنا from the Qur'an . And the amazing thing about it is that you can listen how it's said and I think you can choose the reciter.

Hope it helps!
Fi amani Allah

Scimitar
01-25-2018, 11:52 PM
https://iera.org/product/new-muslim-welcome-gift-box/ <-free gift box for new Muslims.

your_ukht
01-26-2018, 06:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
السلام عليكم
Do they have it in Spanish as well ?
I ask because I have a friend and she would like to know about Islam and it would be a good idea for her to ask for one.

Adam_
01-26-2018, 04:05 PM
Thanks, I've had paid version of Muslim pro for about 2 years it's great. Thanks for the website also is that "free gift box" just a scam because that looks like social engineering to get me to download a virus.

Zzz_
01-26-2018, 05:10 PM
Salaam bro,

Seems you're lacking in basics. Here's a good start - https://www.newmuslims.com/

and for glossary of islamic words, such as zina (fornication)

http://www.alim.org/library/references/dictionary/a
http://www.islamicity.org/islamicglo...ookieSupport=1

As for prayer, here are the basics of how to:
https://raleighmasjid.org/how-to-pray/salah.htm

wudu : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93kjPt6ajaA
(note: In the west toilets and washrooms are in the same room so say your bismillah (or any duas or mention of Allah) before entering the restroom and after exiting.)

salah : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzRmpPGEb6Q

Scimitar
01-26-2018, 05:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by your_ukht
السلام عليكم
Do they have it in Spanish as well ?
I ask because I have a friend and she would like to know about Islam and it would be a good idea for her to ask for one.
I'm sure they have a Spanish translation of Quran, get in touch with iera thru the email link on their website and they can advise better in sh'Allah.

Adam_
01-26-2018, 06:56 PM
Thanks everyone

your_ukht
01-26-2018, 07:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
I'm sure they have a Spanish translation of Quran, get in touch with iera thru the email link on their website and they can advise better in sh'Allah.
Baraka Allahu fiik

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.