/* */

PDA

View Full Version : My mother is funding my college with riba

Mustafa16
01-26-2018, 09:46 PM
Should I go to college? Should I quit? Should I save up money? Should I get a part time job job? Should I quit until I can find a low wage job to save money? Should I wait until my mother has enough money? Should I get a blue collar job? My mother has done this behind my back, and I only a few weeks ago found out, and a brother in the Gulen movement who I believed was righteous advised me to get the loan because education is required. I have started to grow disillusioned with some aspects of, if not most people of, if not all of the Gulen movement. What should I do????? I'm well a month into my semester? (Or 3 weeks) should i repent? I also think this may be a perfect time to repent because i only just started going back to friday prayer, becaue previously i was afraid of crowds, or overslept due to illness, or couldn't arrange a ride, or MAYBE was just lazy (Allahu alem). what should i do?????

- - - Updated - - -
@Reminder

- - - Updated - - -

Hello? Anyone?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mustafa16
01-26-2018, 09:54 PM
@sister herb

Mustafa16
01-26-2018, 09:55 PM
@Singularity

Mustafa16
01-26-2018, 10:02 PM
@'Abd-al Latif

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Misbah-Abd
01-26-2018, 10:35 PM
Look through these Q&A's and see if it relates to you.

https://islamqa.info/en/search?q=usi...ay+for+tuition

Search
01-26-2018, 10:39 PM
:bism: (In the Name of God, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful)

:sl: (Peace be upon you)

From a practical standpoint, I would think you should continue your semester as it has already started and you're one month out, and I imagine it has already been paid with that money; also, we do not get punished for that which we did not know, but since you've discovered the truth now, make sure to repent and converse with Allah. But before next semester can start, acquire a part-time job and enroll yourself instead in a community college; you would have to discipline yourself to put yourself with your money through college and no doubt it would be harder on you and make sure to use your time wisely. However, I know some of my friends who did exactly that successfully, and they love the fact that they have no loans which they have to pay back. Also, make sure you are meeting with your counselor to ensure you have a goal with the courses you'll be taking. By your second semester, you should have a good idea of what profession you want to pursue and a plan as to how to make that happen. That said, with anything in which confusion arises in your heart, I advise Istikhaara because that is you basically consulting Allah and Allah guaranteeing that whatever would happen subsequently is going to be best for you in terms of dunya, deen, and aakhirah.

:wa: (And peace be upon you)

format_quote Originally Posted by Mustafa16
Should I go to college? Should I quit? Should I save up money? Should I get a part time job job? Should I quit until I can find a low wage job to save money? Should I wait until my mother has enough money? Should I get a blue collar job? My mother has done this behind my back, and I only a few weeks ago found out, and a brother in the Gulen movement who I believed was righteous advised me to get the loan because education is required. I have started to grow disillusioned with some aspects of, if not most people of, if not all of the Gulen movement. What should I do????? I'm well a month into my semester? (Or 3 weeks) should i repent? I also think this may be a perfect time to repent because i only just started going back to friday prayer, becaue previously i was afraid of crowds, or overslept due to illness, or couldn't arrange a ride, or MAYBE was just lazy (Allahu alem). what should i do?????

Mustafa16
01-26-2018, 11:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Search
:bism: (In the Name of God, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful)

:sl: (Peace be upon you)

From a practical standpoint, I would think you should continue your semester as it has already started and you're one month out, and I imagine it has already been paid with that money; also, we do not get punished for that which we did not know, but since you've discovered the truth now, make sure to repent and converse with Allah. But before next semester can start, acquire a part-time job and enroll yourself instead in a community college; you would have to discipline yourself to put yourself with your money through college and no doubt it would be harder on you and make sure to use your time wisely. However, I know some of my friends who did exactly that successfully, and they love the fact that they have no loans which they have to pay back. Also, make sure you are meeting with your counselor to ensure you have a goal with the courses you'll be taking. By your second semester, you should have a good idea of what profession you want to pursue and a plan as to how to make that happen. That said, with anything in which confusion arises in your heart, I advise Istikhaara because that is you basically consulting Allah and Allah guaranteeing that whatever would happen subsequently is going to be best for you in terms of dunya, deen, and aakhirah.

:wa: (And peace be upon you)
great news. I just found out my mother and I had a misunderstanding. She says she got a subsidized loan, which means after college I have 6 months to pay before interest accrues. She says if I work hard in school, she'll get a second job and pay for it even if I can't find a job right out of college (Or simply herlp me).

Reminder
01-27-2018, 02:52 AM
If I could go back in time, I'd tell my old self not to go to college. Drugs, alcohol and illicit sex were a daily occurrence. Furthermore, unless you have a purpose of going to school, a degree doesn't do much these days, if anything.

Exceptions are if you want to "be something", like a Doctor, Lawyer, etc. Otherwise it's a big waste of time and money. Not to mention college atmosphere these days is extreme left-wing, which speaks for itself.

Therefore as sister Search says above, we aren't punished for our ignorance (within reason). Since you didn't know this loan was riba, and especially as it isn't you doing it, there is no blame or shame on you.

'Abd-al Latif
02-01-2018, 10:13 PM
I'm a bit overwhelmed with the number of questions you've asked in a single paragraph.

Let's take this one step at a time. Your mother wants you to attend college and she's paying it via interest loan?

An 'interest loan' doesn't become haram just because the words 'interest' and 'loan' are used. Please define what the 'interest loan' is so we can evaluate it according to a Shar'i perspective..

Mustafa16
02-01-2018, 10:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
I'm a bit overwhelmed with the number of questions you've asked in a single paragraph.

Let's take this one step at a time. Your mother wants you to attend college and she's paying it via interest loan?

Please define what the 'interest loan' is.
I just found out recently it's actually a subsidized loan, meaning interest will start accruing 6 months after I graduate, and in order to not pay riba, I have ot pay before the 6 months are over. But like I said in a previous thread which the mods haven't approved yet, I don't know if I even want to go to college because I feel like it's not for me. It's very frustrating, very stressful, much of it is a waste of time and endless protocol, and I want to start working. Also, my grades are bad, despite my high IQ. But what kind of jobs could I start working in?

Misbah-Abd
02-01-2018, 10:42 PM
I just found out recently it's actually a subsidized loan, meaning interest will start accruing 6 months after I graduate, and in order to not pay riba, I have ot pay before the 6 months are over. But like I said in a previous thread which the mods haven't approved yet, I don't know if I even want to go to college because I feel like it's not for me. It's very frustrating, very stressful, much of it is a waste of time and endless protocol, and I want to start working. Also, my grades are bad, despite my high IQ. But what kind of jobs could I start working in?
Learn a trade. College these days doesn't guarantee prosperity. I see more college graduates in the U.S. having to move back with their parents after college because they can't find a job in the degree they achieved. And to add salt to the wound, they have 40-100 thousand dollars in debt to repay back.

'Abd-al Latif
02-01-2018, 10:46 PM
As I said one step at a time please!!!

Going back to the issue of loan - I’m not asking you to tell me when it starts or how much the interest rate is. I’m asking you for the specific details of this ‘interest loan’.

Ham isn’t haram just because the word is usually associated with pork. You can, for instance, have turkey ham which is perfectly halal!

The same is the case with an “interest loan”. Unless I see the details I can’t make any comments on it.

Is there a link where I can read up on the details?

Mustafa16
02-01-2018, 11:18 PM
As I said one step at a time please!!!

Going back to the issue of loan - I’m not asking you to tell me when it starts or how much the interest rate is. I’m asking you for the specific details of this ‘interest loan’.

Ham isn’t haram just because the word is usually associated with pork. You can, for instance, have turkey ham which is perfectly halal!

The same is the case with an “interest loan”. Unless I see the details I can’t make any comments on it.

Is there a link where I can read up on the details?
you pay interest if you can not pay back the loan during the first 6 months after you graduate

'Abd-al Latif
02-02-2018, 10:46 AM
you pay interest if you can not pay back the loan during the first 6 months after you graduate
:heated:

I need D.E.T.A.I.L.S.

I think you should go this college now!

Mustafa16
02-03-2018, 02:07 AM
:heated:

I need D.E.T.A.I.L.S.

I think you should go this college now!
http://sfs.gsu.edu/loans-work-study/...federal-loans/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.