View Full Version : Valentine’s day

Saeeda Shaikh
02-10-2018, 08:20 AM
What is the reality of valentines day ?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ChosenTCO
02-10-2018, 10:59 AM
Salam Sister.
I am sure that a lot of people might regard valentines day as haram due to its origins and how it came about, i but personally have a different opinion. Any occasion that is unislamic can somehow be turned islamic by the will of Allah. Here is an example:

hadeeth narrated by al-Bukhaari (1865) from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him), who said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came to Madeenah and saw the Jews fasting on the day of ‘Ashoora’. He said, “What is this?” They said, “This is a good day, this is the day when Allaah saved the Children of Israel from their enemy and Moosa fasted on this day.” He said, “We are closer to Moosa than you.” So he fasted on this day and told the people to fast.

But due to the bad origins of valentines day (and the bad things that happen of that day), i would recommend you to do acts of worship like fasting or praying during that day and maybe come on to your spouse on the day after or day before (just so you would be different from others who sin on that specific day). This way, you would be doing something that would please Allah at the time were most people are sinning and later on, you will still have the opportunity to enjoy your spouse with all the benefits of valentines day (after its done) in a halal way after all the haram has stopped. So its a win win situation ... Also, just remember that fulfilling you desires in a halal way is an act of worship in of itself.

Saeeda Shaikh
02-10-2018, 11:35 AM
Thanks brother for your insight.

azc
02-10-2018, 04:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ChosenTCO
Salam Sister.
I am sure that a lot of people might regard valentines day as haram due to its origins and how it came about, i but personally have a different opinion. Any occasion that is unislamic can somehow be turned islamic by the will of Allah. Here is an example:

hadeeth narrated by al-Bukhaari (1865) from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him), who said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came to Madeenah and saw the Jews fasting on the day of ‘Ashoora’. He said, “What is this?” They said, “This is a good day, this is the day when Allaah saved the Children of Israel from their enemy and Moosa fasted on this day.” He said, “We are closer to Moosa than you.” So he fasted on this day and told the people to fast.

But due to the bad origins of valentines day (and the bad things that happen of that day), i would recommend you to do acts of worship like fasting or praying during that day and maybe come on to your spouse on the day after or day before (just so you would be different from others who sin on that specific day). This way, you would be doing something that would please Allah at the time were most people are sinning and later on, you will still have the opportunity to enjoy your spouse with all the benefits of valentines day (after its done) in a halal way after all the haram has stopped. So its a win win situation ... Also, just remember that fulfilling you desires in a halal way is an act of worship in of itself.
No, this is incorrect analogy....

What prophet s.a.w injuncted is shariah.

If everyone is allowed to do ijtihad in driving the rulings then this deen will become a joke...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ahmed.younes
02-10-2018, 04:40 PM
You are not the prophet so that you can turn situations into others. Forget valentines day and anything that is non-islamic.

Saeeda Shaikh
02-10-2018, 05:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ahmed.younes
You are not the prophet so that you can turn situations into others. Forget valentines day and anything that is non-islamic.
JazakaAllah khair for your advice ...was thinking that only..This way anyone can introduce anything in Deen, violate the sharia law.. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

format_quote Originally Posted by azc
No, this is incorrect analogy....

What prophet s.a.w injuncted is shariah.

If everyone is allowed to do ijtihad in driving the rulings then this deen will become a joke...
JazakaAllah khair for correct guidelines..innovation is no way allowed in Islam

Zzz_
02-10-2018, 05:28 PM
In short, it was a religious pagan holiday day. Then it was Christianized and adopted by the Christians. So celebrating religious holidays is of other faiths is haram.

It was also a pagan ritual which pagans of today who may follow the old ways may or may not still engage in it. It is haram to adopt pagan/kuffar rituals.

It is something the kuffars engage in that promotes pre-marital relationships. Imitation of the non-believers is haram, as is pre-marital relationships and anything that leads to such relationships.

----------

The first information about this day is found in pre-Christian Rome, when pagans would celebrate the "Feast of the Wolf" on February 15, also known as the Feast of Lupercalius in honor of Februata Juno, the Roman goddess of women and marriage, and Pan, Roman god of nature.

On this day, young women would place their names in an urn, from which boys would randomly draw to discover their sexual companion for the day, the year, and sometimes the rest of their lives. These partners exchanged gifts as a sign of affection, and often married.

When Christianity came onto the scene in Rome, it wanted to replace this feast with something more in line with its ethics and morality.

A number of Christians decided to use February 14 for this purpose. This was when the Italian Bishop Valentine was executed by the Roman Emperor Claudius II for conducting secret marriages of military men in the year 270.

Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers than those with wives and families, so he outlawed marriage for young, single men, who made up his military. Valentine defied Claudius and performed marriages for young couples in secret. When his actions were revealed, Claudius put him to death.

Another version of the story says that Valentine was a holy priest in Rome, who helped Christians escape harsh Roman prisons where they were often beaten and tortured.

Valentine was arrested and sent to the prefect of Rome for this. He found that his attempts to make Valentine renounce his faith were useless, and so recommended he be beaten with clubs, and later beheaded. This took place on February 14, 270.

According to the Catholic encyclopedia, there are at least three different Saint Valentines, all of whom are Christian martyrs of February 14.

Valentine’s Day on February 14 is just one of the many holidays which are often passed off as harmless and fun. But will it be strong to say that the Valentine’s Day is more than just about cards, cartoons and chocolates? It’s an initiation into the culture of boyfriends and girlfriends, sex outside of marriage, and the hurtful and often painful dating game!

It’s a way to plant the seed of "romance" in the minds of young people, with little or no emphasis on commitment and loyalty through marriage and a stable relationship with the opposite sex.

For Muslims, the implications of Valentine’s Day run even deeper. We have to educate our kids about Halal gender relations, in all that implies.

Muslims are first, brothers and sisters in faith, not sex objects to each other. Islamic rules of modesty and respect between the sexes need to be taught in this culture of low-cut shirts, tight jeans, mini-skirts, short shorts, seduction, phone-sex hotlines and the ever-present sexual humor and situations that pervade most sitcoms and television shows.

This need to abstain from Valentine’s Day is even more important for Muslims in the current global context, where Western secular culture is sneaking into Muslim societies via satellite dishes, television programs and various other forms of very powerful media. Most Muslim countries cannot or are not making enough efforts to resist this cultural onslaught and perhaps don’t fully comprehend the serious implications it has on Muslim children, families and gender relations.

http://soundvision.com/valentine/perspective.shtml

cinnamonrolls1
02-10-2018, 06:43 PM
Im pretty sure a saint from christianity was meant to be stoned or something on that day? Not a nice thing to be celebrating. well atleast rhe chocolates are reduced...

Zzz_
02-10-2018, 07:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cinnamonrolls1
Im pretty sure a saint from christianity was meant to be stoned or something on that day? Not a nice thing to be celebrating. well atleast rhe chocolates are reduced...
Neither Jesus being crucified is something to celebrate. It wasn't his stoning but his actions of marrying off young couples when forbidden is the basis of the holiday.

cinnamonrolls1
02-10-2018, 07:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zzz_
Neither Jesus being crucified is something to celebrate. It wasn't his stoning but his actions of marrying off young couples when forbidden is the basis of the holiday.
Oh well i wasnt aware of that. And im aware jesus' supposed crucification isnt something to be celebrated anyway

shamsnaj
02-10-2018, 09:59 PM
Mmmmmm, fasting is different, Valentine's Day means lovers day. Its highly unacceptable in islam. It can nvr be turned islamically.

ChosenTCO
02-10-2018, 11:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shamsnaj
Mmmmmm, fasting is different, Valentine's Day means lovers day. Its highly unacceptable in islam. It can nvr be turned islamically.
Fasting is indeed different brother. That is why i suggested it to the sister during a time where a lot of people around the world are committing a sin. So that she can be different from them in the eyes of Allah.
When people sin, we should be calling upon Allah. When people disobey, we should be the ones to obey. And when people go astray, we should be the ones seeking Allah’s guidance and knowledge. This is how you turn an unislamic occasion into an Islamic one for yourself.

For Example: I personally pray 2 raka’a during New Year’s Eve because I know during that time, many people around the world are celebrating and are in a state of forgetfulness of their Lord.
Many people would come and tell you that this is wrong because you shouldn’t make a specific time for worship other than what has been said in the sharia or sunna. My response to them would be that, there are times when ibada is much more difficult to do than other times. For example, times of celebration, hardship or leisure. For sure Allah would reward those who worship him during those times more than if they were doing it during normal and appropriate times of worship, because these people sacrifice more for the sake of Allah. So why waste these opportunities and go about your normal day as if nothing happened? Use it, take advantage of it, turn it into something good for your hereafter.

I don’t understand why people think I was trying to act like the Prophet or infer that I was making ijtihad. It was a simple suggestion. It’s not like I was trying to promote valentine’s day or make a new ruling in islam or whatever, but these days people are so intolerant towards one another.

What I meant from my post was that, if the sister is interested in participating in valentine’s day, then there are other ways to make use of it in a halal way. Obviously, we all know that its haram to part take in it the same way non-Muslims do because that would be imitating the Kufar 100%. But if she wanted to make use of the opportunity where the roses are available in abundance in stores, huge discounts on chocolates, gadgets and what not, then sure! Go for it but do it AFTER the day has passed.

Desert
02-14-2018, 04:50 PM
its a pagan holiday

Ameeraho
02-14-2018, 05:28 PM
interresting topic
The only thing I know is its not allowed to celebrate in Islam.

azc
02-14-2018, 05:28 PM
No leeway can be sought for taking part in it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.